Opinion

Can movie consumption teach us about politics?

Comments

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Jan. 22, 2013 10:55 p.m.

re: Screwdriver

"...I welcome research into who is watching the gun violence movies and which party they prefer."

I'm a Libertarian and thought Last Stand was decent.

• Screwdriver Casa Grande, AZ
    Jan. 22, 2013 2:26 p.m.

Ok lets find out out who watches these movies! I had never heard of the tarentino guy and I doubt I have ever watched his movies.

Who would watch a movie about big GUNS? Mmmmm not the PETA girl, probable not the current or future anti gun activist.

Could it be that current and future gun lovers of america that would vote republican are the people that view these movies just like it was with Dirty Harry and John Wayne?

So sure, I welcome research into who is watching the gun violence movies and which party they prefer.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 22, 2013 10:15 a.m.

Let us deal with ACTUAL Americans who have their children murdered in elementary schools...

before we mourn the imaginary due to watching a movie.

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    Jan. 22, 2013 7:54 a.m.

"It is no coincidence that the perpetrator of every school massacre in the last 25 years had spent an enormous amount of time watching violent shows and/or playing video games." No kidding it's no coincidence because the vast majority of kids in America have spent an enormous amount of time watching violent show and/or playing video games. Coincidence isn't causality.

The whole violent media rant is a somoke screen. Try reading the Illad and the Odyssey and then tell me how there's a recent surge in violent and inappropriate media.

• GK Willington Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 21, 2013 8:55 p.m.

at John C S;

In honor of your moralizing, I am going to go see Last Stand again then get a Red Bull & take a nap.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Jan. 21, 2013 4:21 p.m.

This newfound interest in movie violence is quite a sideshow. Let's deal with the guns, then move on to the entertainment industry. Would that be OK?

• Screwdriver Casa Grande, AZ
    Jan. 21, 2013 1:55 p.m.

That at least half of the actors are only in it for the money and are pretending to love guns?

• Mukkake Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 21, 2013 1:09 p.m.

I'm just glad that today's "violent media" article doesn't feature a picture of Tarantino or one of his movies.

I might add that Arnold Schwarzenegger's new movie is directed by a South Korean director. Many other countries make violent media too, but still have lower rates of violent crime.

I think I'm gonna keep blaming the Death Penalty, since that seems to be what the United States has in common with other "violent societies".

• John Charity Spring Back Home in Davis County, UT
    Jan. 21, 2013 12:03 p.m.

It is no coincidence that the perpetrator of every school massacre in the last 25 years had spent an enormous amount of time watching violent shows and/or playing video games. Study after study has proven that those who participate in violent entertainment become desensitized, and eventually imitate what they see.

The time for fence-sitting is past. Either you support violent entertainment, or you support the preservation of the lives of millions of innocent schoolchildren. You cannot have it both ways.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 21, 2013 11:44 a.m.

Arnold Schwarzenegger voted against gay marriage while he was Governor of California.

Then, told his wife Maria Shriver that he had a 10 year old son with another woman.

My dollars will support those politics that I support.

As such, I think I will watch the Lorax again.