Sports

Was Manti Te'o hooked by a catfish? Fake online persona at center of hoax

Comments

• turtle5252 Torrance, CA
    Jan. 24, 2013 1:57 p.m.

I believe the correct word is "CAT-PHISHING". Phishing refers to the very common practice of "Fishing" for anyone-the elderly, vunerable person to "hook" into a scam. The term "Phishing" sounds the same, however is spelled differently.

Government agencies that are assigned to protect innocent persons are familiar with this term.

• Richard Larson Galt, CA
    Jan. 18, 2013 1:50 p.m.

"catfishing"......
    Who in the world came up with THAT?!?!?!?!?
    Cat-fishing is what you do to CATCH a
    species of fish!
    The term is "pulling the wool over your eyes".......

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Jan. 18, 2013 10:56 a.m.

Ya'll who say you doubt Manti, better be careful, because you do not know what happened, yeah, you are welcome to your opinion, but that is all it is. Nothing more, nothing less, so just leave the kid alone, and let time take its course. Truth has a way of making it our of the shadows.

• newwest Ferron, UT
    Jan. 18, 2013 10:30 a.m.

My brother-in-law was divorced and wanted to try online dating. He was computer illiterate, so he asked his sister to go online for him. She (posing as him) found a divorced woman (who I'll call Sally) who seemed compatible. They corresponded for a few weeks before the sister, feeling guilty, disclosed that it was she, rather than the brother, that Sally had been exchanging messages with. Sally then revealed that she was not the person she claimed to be, but was actually Sally's sister. Both women had gone online posing as their siblings.
    My brother-in-law met and eventually married Sally. True story.

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    Jan. 18, 2013 9:49 a.m.

Possibly this fellow does not choose to have a girlfriend.
    His story kept all the women, who generally chase a college player....AWAY.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 17, 2013 9:33 p.m.

Interview with Sports Illustrated, Sep 23, 2012

SI: How did you meet her?
    TE'O: We met just, ummmm, just she knew my cousin. And kind of saw me there so. Just kind of regular.
    SI: How long were you dating? I know that can be a complicated question.
    TE'O: Oct. 15 was the official date. Of last year. I've known her for four years. So we've been friends.
    SI: So you dated for about a year.
    TE'O: Yeah.

Four years and only online? Pardon me if I have my doubts.

If Te'o was in on this hoax, and now he is trying to portray himself as the victim, someone needs to counsel him that it is best to come clean now. Don't Lance Armstrong this thing.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Jan. 17, 2013 9:20 p.m.

LivinLarge:

I thought that was bizarre, even sort of cold, when I heard about back in September. Something seems "fishy" about all of this...

• LivinLarge Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 17, 2013 8:07 p.m.

His soul mate and love of his life dies and Manti never goes to her funeral??? Too many questions and not enough answers!!!

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    Jan. 17, 2013 7:47 p.m.

Poor Manti. Not!
    To be taken in by an on-line phony is one thing. To milk it for copious amounts of color commentary is quite another.
    I have no sympathy for Manti Te'o. He used us as his fans, just like he was allegedly used by a false persona.

• Colorado Reader Littleton, CO
    Jan. 17, 2013 5:33 p.m.

Having had a similar experience happen to my 18 year old daughter a few years ago, I totally believe Manti and feel for him. I was duped as was my daughter and it is humiliating and hurtful. We are all a little naive and trusting and I think people who do this are sick. In our case it was a 26 year old 5'2" hispanic man who preyed on my daughter using the LDS Church lingo, doctrine and her trust in those things. SICKOS out there!!