Sports

BYU men's basketball: BYU knocks out Santa Clara, picks up big WCC road win

Comments

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 14, 2013 5:40 p.m.

motorbike -

WCC will have 3 teams in the NCAA this year. And so will the MWC. How many pac teams will go to the tournament this year??? One, maybe 2??
    _____________

If you think the WCC will get more invites to the tourney than the PAC-12 this year you're crazy. There's a decent chance the WCC will only get one invite with 3 being the max if the stars align. Now your comment about the MWC is a different story. They deserve more than 3 and they'll likely get more than 3 as well.

• OCoug Ogden, UT
    Jan. 13, 2013 11:34 p.m.

Great win for the Cougs. When Santa Clara tied em at fifty, I was concerned. Thankfully, they responded with one of their patented offensive explosions and defensive shut downs. 18 unanswered points, wow.

It was great to see Anson Winder get some consistent time. I'm more encouraged each game.

I wish Utah were doing better, it'd only stand to make BYU look better in the process.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    Jan. 13, 2013 8:57 p.m.

motorbike,

Sure, no problem. Although I think you are just saying that now because they don't agree with your opinion. I doubt those RPI's will change that much.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Jan. 13, 2013 8:22 p.m.

Re: NCAA

One thing we know for sure. utah will not be going.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Jan. 13, 2013 8:20 p.m.

" ... Listen you shouldn't worry, it's a nice little conference your guys play in..."

motorbike -

WCC will have 3 teams in the NCAA this year. And so will the MWC.

how many pac teams will go to the tournament this year??? One, maybe 2??

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Jan. 13, 2013 8:18 p.m.

RE: motorbike

I concede that the jury is still out on Santa Clara, but to claim that they "wouldn't stand a chance" to a team that has already proven to be pretty awful is just ignorance.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 13, 2013 7:21 p.m.

Duckhunter

Looks like someone got under your skin. LOL - you're sounding awfully insecure about your WCC wins. Listen you shouldn't worry, it's a nice little conference your guys play in.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 13, 2013 6:59 p.m.

agb

You are incorrect as usual. I didn't chastise anyone for not having a life, I simply stated that I hadn't been able to check in until I did because of my own life (if you read carefully you'll see that your buddy Duckhunter was wondering where I was - I know, pretty pathetic).
    If you want to twist that into something else entirely it wouldn't be the first time you twisted a few words, go ahead.

Wiscougarfan

Have you seen Santa Clara's schedule? I'm certainly not calling USC world beaters but as I told others two weeks ago, Santa Clara will prove to be a pretender in the WCC ... and have you noticed where they already stand after two weeks in WCC play? They're 1-3. Like I said, check in with me on that RPI thing at the END of the season.

• MacNasty Rexburg, ID
    Jan. 13, 2013 5:55 p.m.

RE: Two For The Flinching

That's two million more people than watched the Utes play in post season

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 13, 2013 5:48 p.m.

I love how BYU just keeps getting "empty win" after "empty win". A few other teams got "empty wins" yesterday. Take usc for example, their win yesterday was certainly an "empty" one coming against what might be the worst team in a D1 major conference. That "empty win" did litterally nothing for them other than it was a win. What would you call the loss utah suffered yesterday? It certainly isn't "empty" considering it was against a team that had lost 14 straight road games. To the contrary when you lose to one of the 'other' worst teams in D1, at home no less, far from being "empty" it is more along the lines of very revealing. Funny how the win usc got was as "empty" as a win can be yet the loss the other team got in that game was far from "empty". That's called irony.

LOL!

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Jan. 13, 2013 5:37 p.m.

motorbike

"Santa Clara wouldn't stand a chance against USC."

Are we talking about the same USC team that lost at home to UC Irvine(9-9) on Dec 20th?

It's laughable how Utah fans think the world revolves around Utah, and that any team that's good enough to dominate the Utes must be really good.

Here's a clue:

USC is 257th in scoring (even more pathetic than the Utes); 188th in rebounds; 199th in assists; 200th in FG%; AND they've already lost TEN games.

Despite how good the Utes made them look on Saturday, the Trojans simply aren't very good.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Jan. 13, 2013 3:10 p.m.

RE: motorbike

"Santa Clara wouldn't stand a chance against USC."

Huh? 12-6 Santa Clara wouldn't stand a chance against 7-10 USC? Is it because USC is ungoing a major momentum shift now that their string of 14 consecutive road losses has been broken (in their blow-out win against the Utes in SLC)? What is the favorite tagline... "frantic and emotional?"

• agb Layton, UT
    Jan. 13, 2013 2:34 p.m.

Motorbike:

Didn't you just get done lecturing cougar fans about something to the effect of how "you have a life beyond sports" and that you don't have an infinite amount of time to comment on Utah articles, and therefore implying that they shouldn't either. And yet here you are a few hours later.

And as far as the WCC being terrible, well U would know with all the losses U have racked up to them over the last few years.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 13, 2013 2:20 p.m.

@ gchris

BYU only had 2 million people tune into their bowl game. I highly doubt more than 400K tuned into watch Santa Clara basketball.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 13, 2013 1:02 p.m.

@Uteanymous

Let's take a look at those RPIs at the end of the season together. Santa Clara wouldn't stand a chance against USC.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Jan. 13, 2013 12:43 p.m.

I love it! It doesn't matter what the trolls say as long as we're winning. To me, winning is the ultimate equalizer to the venom from haters. They can mock, ridicule, or say whatever they want and it won't matter. That's why I love seeing BYU win.

Yesterday was another great day for BYU sports. Great wins by both the FB and VB teams.

Go Cougars!

• Jim1027 St. George, UT
    Jan. 13, 2013 11:56 a.m.

If they hadn't invented trolls, there'd be no fans in the stands at Utah!

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 13, 2013 10:54 a.m.

motorbike

"...you might be able to run up enough blowout wins to get into the tourney if you're lucky. Of course we know what will happen at that point."

Another NCAA tournament win?

Remind us against again why that's such a bad thing, especially coming from a fan of a program that hasn't won an NCAA tournament game in almost a decade?

btw, RPI of yesterday's opponents

#81 Santa Clara
    #134 USC

Talk about grasping at straws to minimize BYU's blowout win against a superior opponent on the road and Utah's blowout loss against an inferior opponent at home.

• LindonMan Lindon, UT
    Jan. 13, 2013 10:50 a.m.

@ Two For Flinching

8,000 attendance average for a 15,000 capacity stadium. Wow, that's so impressive.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Jan. 13, 2013 10:41 a.m.

Small venues, i.e., St.Mary's (which is no bigger than most high school gyms) don't define a good or bad basketball team. So I'm not sure why the ute trolls try to continually make a big deal about it. I guess it's a manifestation of some kind of inferiority complex.

Speaking of St. Mary's - didn't they hand Utah State their only loss of the season so far, and that was up in Logan. And oh bye the way, the aggies barley squeaked out a 2 point win in OT down at Santa Clara.

Bigger isn't always better.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 13, 2013 10:09 a.m.

Wow, the WCC is so terrible. I guess all the stars aligned for that conference last year with a great senior class huh?
    On the bright side for cougar fans, you might be able to run up enough blowout wins to get into the tourney if you're lucky. Of course we know what will happen at that point.
    So yeah sammyg, empty wins is exactly right ... but hey, at least they're wins, I'll certainly give you that.

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    Jan. 13, 2013 9:54 a.m.

I'm not an 'anti Ute' fan, but as an ASU follower I'm sad to say that the PAC 12 is far from being an elite program in bb. So if Utah isn't competing with us right now, they're in serious trouble.
    Good to see BYU having a good year. In years past, they'd have won a tough game and then wilted and lost the next one.
    Definitely a sign that the program is getting better.

• Jim1027 St. George, UT
    Jan. 13, 2013 8:37 a.m.

If the Utes hadn't "bailed out on their travel partner" for many years, then we could've had TCU, Boise State, and made a new league. Instead, the Utes will be mired at the cellar of the Pac12 forever. They'll never be able to recruit like those top Pac schools. Their coaches will never be as good, because they can't afford it. The tradition will never be the same for winning.

It's not going to happen!

Down the road, gathering a few schools and making a better league, and leaving the Utes in the cellar, will be poetic justice.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 13, 2013 7:22 a.m.

My apologies about the crowd count. This game was played in Santa Clara, CA, not in the Marriott Center in Provo, so 2800 sounds about right. WCC gyms don't hold very many people. I would wager that half of that small crowd were BYU fans who make an impact wherever the Cougars travel in game attendance!

Go Cougars!

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Jan. 13, 2013 6:48 a.m.

I watched the game on the ROOTS sports channel and thought it was perhaps the best all around game BYU has played all year!

• gchris rock springs, wy
    Jan. 13, 2013 6:45 a.m.

@Ute Trolls

There might have been only 2800 fans at the game but millions, including my family, watched or could have watched on television. How many people watched the Utah-USC game? Continually pointing out the small gyms/arenas and small crowds in WCC games seems to be the only thing that some Ute fans have to cheer about. That's too bad.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    Jan. 13, 2013 1:21 a.m.

Runner guy 50,

SCORE BOARD.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Jan. 12, 2013 11:15 p.m.

runnerguy50

I'll take the smaller arena's and beautiful settings of the WCC over the high plains of Laramie, any day.

Back home, BYU is averaging 16,000+ fans at the Marriott Center.

After today's meltdown at the Huntsman, that may be more fans than show up for Utah's remaining conference games COMBINED.

btw, with today's win, BYU has now won 14 games, which ties Utah's total wins for the last two seasons COMBINED!

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 12, 2013 11:10 p.m.

@ Down under

2,800 is not bigger than 11,000 (Today's attendance in the Huntsman) or 8,000 (Utah's season attendance ave). Sorry.

• Down under Pullman, WA
    Jan. 12, 2013 10:45 p.m.

Runner guy 50,
    I believe that 2800 would surpass the Ute crowd, especially after the great effort they put in tonight. I would rather be 4-0 in the WCC than 0-4 in the PAC 10.2. It's great to be a Coug right now.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 12, 2013 10:01 p.m.

That 2800 count had to be for the volleyball game which BYU won. I think they missed one digit in the tally for the bb game! Congratulations Cougars on two big wins!

Go Cougars!

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    Jan. 12, 2013 8:53 p.m.

2800 fans ? Thats it ? I bet the WCC coaches do like BYU.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Jan. 12, 2013 8:13 p.m.

I'm sure enjoying these 'empty' wins at 4-0.

I suppose 0-4 has some intrinsic value but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. Maybe a Ute "friend" can help me out.

Keep it up Cougars!

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 12, 2013 7:48 p.m.

Congrats Cougars on a great conference road win!

Keep it going!