Faith

LDS youths flash mob on Temple Square (+ video)

Comments

• Quagthistle Hays, KS
    June 6, 2014 7:29 a.m.

I think it was great. A bunch of people standing together singing in the same style as the Hymns (with none of the interesting choreography or the nice, upbeat arrangement of the music) wouln't bring the spirit for me (in fact, singing hymns usually makes me *not* feel the spirit as much - it's like ice water thrown into that warm glowing campfire inside you). Other people, including a close friend of mine at church, love singing the hymns in church, and somehow they bring her peace and comfort. My point? Everyone is different. It's true that this more likely to appeal to children, teens, and young adults. Still, you have to respect the effort they gave. I knew lots of kids of others faiths who would do stuff like this... after collecting a few thousand dollars each from neighbors and friends to travel to some exotic locations and perform for a week. These youth did the work just to share the production, not to get a free vacation. I respect that, and the music was very nicely done (with awesome choerography and a great arrangement). In short, my kudos to them!

• petersenjc47 Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 11, 2014 12:49 p.m.

To the critics - they were technically not on Temple Square. They were around the reflecting pool outside the wall that surrounds Temple Square. And whether it is called a flash mob or a production, it was an awesome youth activity. The sight of these clean cut, cute kids having fun while declaring their faith in the Savior was uplifting and made me smile.

• cheslop 84067, UT
    April 4, 2014 2:06 p.m.

WOW! The gospel is true and are youth are at the forefront. We need strong, capable, youth who know who they are. . .What a wonderful presentation. I cried with delight at the
    way they shared their testimonies and enthusiasm for the gospel. The future missionaries!

• Arynen Midvale, UT
    April 3, 2014 11:55 a.m.

I know it's an old post, but since it's a top comment:

"This seems a bit distasteful. The temple grounds are not the place for a song-and-dance show." -FredEx

Apparently you've never been to the Manti Pageant. ;-)

• BartE Logan, UT
    March 27, 2014 11:10 a.m.

I have a hard time visualizing Jesus instigating a "flash mob" to celebrate even His greatest achievement. Everything He did was for the glorification of His Father. He simply went about doing good. When are we, as members of the Church, going to learn that it's not about being seen. Had each of those who participated celebrated their achievement by going out and doing as the Savior did, their effort would have made the world a better place. This life, this gospel, is not about the show. It's about the soul, ours and others who may need our help.

• MannClan89 Eagle Mountain, UT
    March 26, 2014 11:05 p.m.

People need to lighten up. These kids did a fun wholesome activity as a reward for completing the Book of Mormon. This will be used as a great tool to use in missionary work for young people.

• Ray in St.Petersburg Saint Petersburg, FL
    Jan. 22, 2013 11:52 a.m.

Packs a punch like spiritual dynamite! Thanks to ALL who were involved in its production!

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Jan. 20, 2013 5:36 a.m.

It could have used a little less "mob" and a little more "flash."

• Gregorio Norco, CA
    Jan. 19, 2013 10:45 p.m.

Becoming something good is better than good becoming something bad. Stand in holy places and move so others will see your goodness. Great job youth of the noble birthright.

• G L W8 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Jan. 19, 2013 8:24 p.m.

FYI: This same staging area was used in the 1960's, just prior to the construction of the Church Office Building, for a production of "Promised Valley". That sets a precedent that seems to negate those calling this activity "distasteful". Incidentally, when the final notes were struck on "Promised Valley," the temple lights were turned on, giving a climatic effect to the entire production. A very memorable moment!

• ImABeliever Provo, UT
    Jan. 19, 2013 8:02 p.m.

To those that said the performance was distasteful and embarrassing. Maybe you would like to get off your, "holier than thou" pedestool. The performance was beautiful and I felt the spirit.

• Jesus Loves U kaysville, UT
    Jan. 19, 2013 1:45 p.m.

Jesus loves All of You...It's not about a religion, solely about Him. He is the fullness of the gosepl, He's our temple, when we except Him and are born again, we have the fullness of God in us. Praise Him.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Jan. 19, 2013 10:54 a.m.

Fun video with a serious and inspirational message.

I see no problem with the D-News calling it a flashmob.

I've seen MUCH MORE orchestrated videos referred to as flashmobs, in particular, a Christmas Eve video created at an airport in Canada - look it up on YouTube, it's great!

• Charliegirl Huntsville, AL
    Jan. 18, 2013 3:02 p.m.

I thought it was really good! The youth did a fine job and regardless of whether they were granted special permission to film and present this at the Temple grounds, this was a very positive and uplifting presentation.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 18, 2013 1:05 p.m.

1) A loud 5 year old doesn't need a recommend to enter the temple, an adult does.
    2) The Youth express their enthusiasm VERY differently than adults do.
    3) They did it OUTSIDE the temple, not inside.
    4) The tabernacle is just as far away and Song and Dance takes place there every day.
    5) They didn't sing "Hit me baby, one more time".

I watched the video and didn't see people disrespecting the grounds around the Temple. If people want to complain about this then I think we all need a thorough reminder of item #1 on that list. These youth aren't 5 years old, but I doubt this is hindering the work. If anything, with how people think today it's probably helping it.

• K Mchenry, IL
    Jan. 17, 2013 4:02 p.m.

David danced. How is it a bad thing to do?

I'm not LDS. Looks the kids were showing off moves they learned on Sunday's during music part of your service. They were singing about spending a few years working for their church in a a few years. What is wrong with that? Perhaps they could have gone in them building to pray, wait, most the building isn't accessible yet to them. But they sure seem happy. Happy teens.

• SportsFann Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 9:43 p.m.

I loved it!!!! Great job!!!

• Yellow South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 8:10 p.m.

I am one of the youth of the South Jordan River Stake. I am in this video bearing my testimony. Some of you might think our performance was silly or strange, but if that is what you think, you are missing the point. Our goal was to share the message that we are all children of God. As youth, we will do what is right and whatever else we can to bring others closer to the Savior. If you happen to be confused about the actual making/purpose of this video, I suggest you watch "The making of" on youtube. Thank you to all of those who enjoyed what we had to share!

• Rock Calgary, Alberta
    Jan. 15, 2013 10:50 p.m.

People, people.a fkash nib IS a small production. ther is choreography, recording, lights sound, "stage" management, music, and it all has to fall together to look spontaneous. If it looks spontaneous and surprises the crowd then that is what a flashmob is. It would be impossible to just meet somewhere and do a choreographed dance number without any coordination at all. Thats what a flash mob is. picky picky

• SLMG Murtoa Australia, Victoria
    Jan. 15, 2013 1:48 p.m.

Fantastic! We LDS have always been a singing and dancing people, I believe Heavenly Father probably enjoys watching a group of young people perform. This was a great production to show the world we are a people that are happy and secure in our religion and our belief in Christ and want to share it with the world. We are that we might have joy, this was a show of great joy.

• bzmomo6 Carthage, NC
    Jan. 15, 2013 11:21 a.m.

I wept as I watched this too! I am so amazed at the youth of today. The gospel of Jesus Christ is full of joy and rejoicing and these youth portrayed that. Thank you to all the youth, leaders and parents who made this possible. It made my day!

• LDSinTexas Austin, TX
    Jan. 15, 2013 11:17 a.m.

I think it was wonderful. So much joy and energy. The testimonies were really inspiring. I believe Brigham Young stated that even dancing was acceptable to The Lord. The pioneers didn't just walk and walk they danced at the end of the day. What better place to show the joy of The Lord than before his House, The Temple. By the way, they danced in the Nauvoo Temple after hours of performing ordinances for those heading west. That was Brother Brigham again. I see no problem with a tasteful and well done performance by so many talented young people on Temple Square. By the way, I'm just a bit over 65 years young.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Jan. 15, 2013 10:12 a.m.

It's things like this that scare people like Jabari Parker away from Utah.

• JonathanPDX Portland, Oregon
    Jan. 15, 2013 9:31 a.m.

Psalm 100 says, "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands. Serve the Lord with gladness: come before his presence with singing." It appears that is just what these young people were doing.

We should be thankful they were engaged in a wholesome activity in which they could share time and joy with other young people to proclaim their love for the gospel.

How can anyone who loves the Lord and the young people in the Church be embarrassed by this? Perhaps certain people might want to re-examine their own lives and learn to find more joy in themselves and others. After all, Adam fell that men might be, and men are that they might have joy!

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Jan. 15, 2013 9:11 a.m.

The LDS church will soon come out with a policy banning flash mob demos on any church grounds unless it involves Donny and Marie

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    Jan. 15, 2013 6:18 a.m.

For whom was this done? what good came from this?

As a nonbeliever, you consider me "spiritually sick". Jesus said "They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick:"

This "flash mob" was a heavy dose of ipecac syrup.

• Star Bright Salt Lake City, Ut
    Jan. 14, 2013 9:22 p.m.

Man I thought they were just great! Wholesome, attractive, fun activity! I'm pleased to be a member of the Church that produces such great young people. They will change the world!
    Mr Bass why are you embarrassed? What in the world could you be thinking? I've tweeted this and sent to my grandchildren. I'm not embarrassed by wonderful, attractive young people doing something fun and bearing their testimonies.

• kathybeebee Ephrata, WA
    Jan. 14, 2013 8:39 p.m.

It's a latter day Road Show!

• conservative scientist Lindon, UT
    Jan. 14, 2013 7:45 p.m.

How does this event from April 2012 make the front page in a January 2013 Newspaper?

• Gmajodi8 Henderson, NV
    Jan. 14, 2013 7:25 p.m.

Love it! My sister's family is in the Stake mentioned and the kids worked their behinds off. It was a great learning and growing experience for the Youth and the leaders too. I suggest watching all of the associated videos on You Tube to see more. Yes, I agree that hearing impaired help would be fabulous - great suggestion. So interesting to read the comments and the different interpretations. We are all Heavenly Father's children. Personally for me it is a great tool for some really great kids to share their testimonies of Jesus Christ. Hope lots of people continue to enjoy it and the spirit of the presentation!! Way to go South Jordan Stake Youth!!

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 14, 2013 7:23 p.m.

Embarrassing.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 14, 2013 7:01 p.m.

Okay, JDL, I forgot for half a second there how sensitive Mormons are. Just to be clear, I think the kids had a really cute performance, and it looks like they had a lot of fun doing it. Good for them. I'm just saying its not a flash mob. But you know, who cares what you call. No detraction or criticism meant at all. So relax.

If any of the kids are reading this: you guys did a real good job. And good for you! It was fun to watch. Dream big dreams, and do great things! You guys are part of a great generation. You will change the world!

Reader down south, really good idea, maybe someone will take it and subtitle it.

• SP Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 14, 2013 5:57 p.m.

Mark - It was the Deseret News that called this a flash mob, not the original video creators.

Great job to the youth who were involved!

• Serenity Manti, UT
    Jan. 14, 2013 5:06 p.m.

I thought it was wonderful. I don't care how they did it, it was something very unusual and different from the norm. Those kids did a great job and temple square was a perfect place for it. What a great way to preach the Gospel.

• Lois South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 14, 2013 4:58 p.m.

What a wonderful way for youth to spend 4 months of their time - thanks for sharing you very special young people. I loved this and I, too, love the gospel.

• Julie gluten free mother SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 14, 2013 4:56 p.m.

Most flash mobs I have seen appear to be rehearsed.

• JDL Magna, UT
    Jan. 14, 2013 4:45 p.m.

OK detractors Fred & Mark, call it what you want. I call it fabulous, great, superb, excellent, inspiring, uplifting, thoughtful, talented, spiritual, fun, energetic, touching and I applaud the youth of the South Jordan River Utah Stake with a smile, a laugh and a tear.

• readerdownsouth Buckeye, AZ
    Jan. 14, 2013 4:41 p.m.

No complaints or criticism of the youth doing this in a public place like Temple Square (hey, if demonstrators can do their thing around Temple Square, why not something better than that?) I'm just very disappointed that this 'production' posted on YouTube wasn't captioned for those who don't hear to follow along.

Yes I am deaf and yes, I love music. I recognize the first line of the song, but the entire thing is not memorized, so seeing the lyrics would've been nice. And the kids' awesome (which I assume they are) testimonies?? I have no idea what they said. :(

• Julie gluten free mother SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 14, 2013 4:39 p.m.

Everyone is different, my body shook with sobs as I watched this. I was over come by the spirit. I even liked them being in casual clothes. Shows the spirit can be there anytime, not just at church when a person is dressed up. I LOVE OUR YOUTH

• OneAmerican Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 14, 2013 4:16 p.m.

So, it's okay to make comments here being critical of what took place, but not to remind people of the virtues of not being critical, even in a respectful manner? After this message to the screener, I will no longer be wasting my time.

• FredEx Salt Lake, Ut
    Jan. 14, 2013 3:54 p.m.

OK, MoJules, we just have a difference in taste, I suppose. I'm not opposed to the idea of a nicely done production. And as mark noted it IS a production. It was clearly done at sunrise, before any "natural" crowds would be there (notice there are no homeless visible), yet there dozens (white parents) watching and pretending it's totally spontaneous.

I'll just say this: I think the songs would have been nice on their own. Maybe have the kids actually dress up a bit, stand like a choir, and sing the songs, showing that they've prepared a meaningful messaged. I don't like the constant waving of arms, muscle flexing, back flips, or freakish cartwheels. It's hard to take away any spiritual message when the focus is clearly on some odd idea of artistic impression.

Listening to children sing makes me weep. This nearly made me laugh.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Jan. 14, 2013 3:15 p.m.

This was done around the reflecting pool, which is not on the Temple grounds. The church does song and dance productions in the Conference Center, it is all about music and dance in a tasteful way. So my comment to those who are grumbling, really? There is so much positive and good that came from this, if this helped to pull a youth out of being on the fence, or maybe trying to decide to serve a mission, it is well worth it. And the effect that it has on those that view it around the nation and even the world. My vote, the glass is half full.

• FredEx Salt Lake, Ut
    Jan. 14, 2013 2:56 p.m.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 14, 2013 1:01 p.m.

Not to be picky, but that is not a "flash mob", it is a production. You don't have multiple camera angles and crane shots, and clearly the go ahead from the LDS church (there is no way you bring a crane on to temple square without LDS church approval) for a flash mob. Which is fine, it just isn't a flash mob.

• WYOREADER Gillette, WY
    Jan. 14, 2013 12:25 p.m.

The work will roll forth and it will not be thwarted by anything!!! Ditto "byufan1993" I too love this gospel!!!

• byufan1993 Provo, , UT
    Jan. 14, 2013 12:04 p.m.

Oh how I love this gospel!