Physical therapy is important for neck, back pain relief

• elisemeg Orem, UT
    June 7, 2017 9:50 a.m.

Physical therapy is a great resource for patients! Physical therapy can help patients that suffer from chronic back pain and can often solve the problem. There are many health benefits to physical therapy.

• Donphenominon Sandy, UT
    June 5, 2017 12:03 p.m.

I hope that we see more of these types of articles that show how effective physical therapy can be in helping to manage back and neck pain. The opioid epidemic is ravaging communities and permanently altering lives, and if we can change the discussion about proper management of chronic pain to include physical therapy and other treatment modalities, I think we could turn the tide of addiction. Kudos to you @Hobbit42 for working to get the information out that physical therapy can be very helpful in the treatment of back and neck pain.

• michaelbyunursing Bingham Canyon, UT
    June 4, 2017 2:24 p.m.

I think one of the main reason chronic pain is such a hard topic is because to do things the right way (like you mentioned with exercise and core strengthening) it will require a complete culture shift away from the expectation of easy and immediate results. I think more providers are getting away from using narcs as the first option, but more and more patients are not. Plus, it is harder to say no to patients when their "experience" rating decides your reimbursement for the visit. I agree though. I'm happy to see articles that are putting emphasis on back pain interventions that actually work.

• Rebekah14 Provo, UT
    June 3, 2017 3:28 p.m.

@hobbit42 , great comments! Physical therapy really is the most effective long term treatment for back px because it eventually leads to an increase in function and decrease in pain. Things like pain medications only provide momentary relief, rather than solve the problem.

• wcope17 Spanish Fork, UT
    June 2, 2017 7:55 p.m.

Great insights, this is such a big problem and the way it is being treated in most cases is only making the problem worse.

• hobbit42 Orem, UT
    June 2, 2017 9:10 a.m.

I am a Nurse Practitioner student at BYU and I am doing a paper on proper treatment back pain because it is a large problem. I was glad to see that the recommendation in this article was PT emphasizing physical activity an strengthening the core. That is exactly my thoughts for best treatment. I think that too many providers and patients want a quick and easy fix. You could easily treat this with narcotics but that actually leads to increased pain over time and decreased quality of life. One treatment approach to consider for people suffering from significant pain that disables them from physical activity is spinal cord stimulation surgery. Studies show that it helps significantly more than other back surgeries and is less invasive. In addition to physical activity weight loss is a huge benefit to those suffering from this.