Sports

Letter to the editor: I'm appalled and embarrassed by the fair-weather fans at BYU

Comments

• derecha Central, UT
    Jan. 15, 2013 8:30 a.m.

Attila the Hun, Many folks here continue to comment about failed coaching and playing an injured quarterback and this is the reason for 4 of BYUs losses this year. But what was the better option. Did you all want to see Lark play in all of those games. Lark played two games, one against the worst defense in the country and admittedly he played well. The second game was in the bowl game (a good defense) and he played awful. Had it not been for the defense, this game would have also been a loss since they scored 17 of BYUs points in the game. Riley was the best option at quarterback all year and truly gave us the best chance to win. It was very unlucky that he was mostly injured and that Taysom Hill also went down with an injury. Remember, Riley Nelson was the quarterback that got us one of those 10 win seasons just a year ago and had he been healthier, it would have happened again this year. Lark was not the solution to the problem, you are just looking at the green grass on the other side of the hill.

• Blue Rampage Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 1, 2013 11:57 a.m.

You obviously have no idea what the move to independence was all about. It was about exposure and opportunity, both of which are being squandered.

Pro sports insiders with access to ESPN executives indicate the network is NOT happy with BYU's on field performance. Also note how few people watched or went to the Poinsettia Bowl. But you, on your high and mighty pulpit, lecture BYU fans about loyalty? What about some loyalty in return? What about Tom Holmoe stepping up and saying, "Time for a change?" You demand loyalty from a fan base that is being humiliated and spoken to like they are morons. As if fans can't tell the difference between a "winning record," and a "winning record against teams with a winning record."

I'm also sick of hearing ESPN commentators expose the stupidity of BYU offensive play calling. But, we knew we had a grade school level coaching mentality when we saw an every-other-series QB rotation during the entitled Freshman debacle.

And don't lecture about how to spend or donate my money. Go ahead, keep contributing. As for me, I'm holding my donor dollars in reserve.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Dec. 30, 2012 11:55 a.m.

@ Cougarista 3:05 p.m. Dec. 26, 2012

"At the Poinsettia Bowl a "loyal" BYU fan behind me was so obnoxious in his criticism of the coaching staff that I thought he was an SDSU fan. He had lost perspective, it's only a game."

Agreed. I like to look at sports (all levels) as entertainment first and foremost. Its an escape, way to decompress, etc...

• ibulleti Layton, UT
    Dec. 29, 2012 2:41 p.m.

Mr. Anderson,
    Well spoken. I applaud your decision to stand up and support BYU, the football team, and the coaches. It is good to remember that many of us fail to reach our goals and expectations. We should expect the best from people, then except that all of us fail at some point and even make a few mistakes along the way. I am very proud of the football teams success, especially when you consider Bronco has stated that football is his number five priority and faith is number one. Congratulations on a fine season and I look forward to greater success next year.

• Ronald Uharriet SWun City, Ca.
    Dec. 29, 2012 1:45 p.m.

S.J. Anderson,

I am very impressed with what a wonderful and qualified person you tell us you are.

I am one of those horrible fans that is never satisified.

If we when 11 games in a season and all of them are against ranked BCS teams, and we lose to only one of those 12 teams, due to a bad call, or some other bad decision, I will be upset about that bad call or that bad decision, that may have kept us from playing for a national championship.

Some of us show our support by accepting all that happens good or bad, right or wrong, stupid or intelligent, while others of us support our team by constantly wanting them to be all that they are capable of being. In my opinion, both types of supporters are good. If all supporters were only one way or the other, as described above in this paragraph, that in my opinion, would not be as good.

• Cougsrock original Maricopa, Az
    Dec. 29, 2012 9:20 a.m.

I would guess this guy is home smiling at the responses. You all pretty much proved him right.

• Arlingtoncougar Arlington, TX
    Dec. 29, 2012 12:28 a.m.

"Fair weather fans" doesn't begin to desribe some of those who have commented. I have a hard time understanding how some of these people would even be considered fans, when they seemingly did not enjoy a bowl win because more points were scored by the defense than the offense.

And the criticisms of Bronco Mendenhall have gone beyond anything rational. Has he made some mistakes? Yes. But four bowl wins in a row is a pretty good sccomplishment and somthing I never thought I would see at BYU. And to say his decisions wasted a great defense is to ignore the fact that he was largely responsible for the great defense. Also, they forget what 2002-2004 was like for BYU football and how Bronco revitalized BYU football.

I don't beleive the term "fans" should be used to describe those that can't see any success through their crticisms.

• DRay Roy, UT
    Dec. 28, 2012 8:42 p.m.

The decision to play a hurt starter over a healthy, competent back-up most often hurts, and is thus unfair, to the performance of the team. 90% of the time, the healthy player will be the better choice, so in the case of this year, I just think Riley, and possibly the Coach, were not doing what was best for the team by his playing hurt, and the consequence was disastrous. Good thing is, the players still got to play, even excel on the field, and perhaps that is what it is all about...easy to understand the frustration at BYU of always being good, almost never GREAT. Maybe we just don't have the right motivation or temperament for ultimate success, as in final 4 basketball, or championship football, etc.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Dec. 28, 2012 7:24 p.m.

This editorial makes it feel like going to a sporting venue is supposed to be like going to sacrament meeting and I'm suppose to sit quietly with my arms folded and support the coaches no matter what. I'm a loyal BYU fan, but please allow me to play Monday morning QB and second guess the coaches and their calls. I realize I'm not an expert, and I concede that Bronco knows the players a lot better than me. But when Bronco went for two against BSU, and I wouldn't have; let me express my opinion and don't lecture me like I'm apostatizing from the church. Going 8-5 does not rattle my loyalty, but let me express my opinions about the lack of offensive fire power and the need for change. I'm not asking for Doman to be fired, but can't I express my opinion that running Hill 19 times in one game is not BYU football, and the mis-signal that sent Hill into needlessly ending his season represents poor communication that needs to be improved without being accused of being appalling.

• Cougarbaseball Rifle, CO
    Dec. 28, 2012 4:48 p.m.

Amen, Mr. Anderson. It seems only those who have played and coached at higher levels really understand just how good the football coaches at BYU have been in Mendenhall's era. I don't get to attend football games very often since I live and coach in Colorado since leaving BYU, but the one game I did attend, it was all I could do to not turn around and say something to the idiots who were berating Max Hall (one of the best quarterbacks BYU has ever had).

I guess it is just the nature of our society that those who can't play the game can sit on the outside and constantly criticize those who do. As a high school athletic director now, I get to listen to a few idiot fans from time to time who always think they can do a better job than the coaches. I can't imagine what Holmoe must go through listening to all the idiots that probably try to contact him on a daily basis. Hopefully he has learned to let most of it go through one ear and out the other because that is what most of the complaints deserve.

• Grundle West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 28, 2012 4:25 p.m.

Huh - older article but still...If this is what keeps you up at night...Must be a great life!

Go Cougars!

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 28, 2012 4:06 p.m.

While it is admirable that Mr. Andersen is defending his friend Coach Weber, I am sure Coach Weber as well as the rest of the coaching staff can take a little criticism like big boys. It comes with the territory.

Mr. Andersen if you are OK with mediocrity, fine. I agree that BYU has done pretty well with its narrow scope of recruiting. However, I can tell you that the coaches, the players, and the vast majority of fans are NOT OK with mediocrity, especially when they come so close to greatness, only to be washed away by some really bad decisions.

As a fan, I expect better from BYU football because I have seen better (offenses). Although this year BYU exceeded expectations on defense, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a better than average offense, especially since they historically have had powerhouse offenses.

So please get off the high horse about what a fair weather fan is--you have no clue. Having high expectations does not make you a fair weather fan.

I would agree that personal attacks should not be condoned. Criticism of performance is one thing, but character attacks are out of line.

• Truebluecoug Park City, UT
    Dec. 28, 2012 1:28 p.m.

SJ: May I mention one piece you may have overlooked. Before the season began, Bronco himself made mention privately to many people about how special this team would likely be. I do not think he envisioned an 8-5 team, with the athletes he had for the 2012 season, and losing five games. Nor, do I believe this season's win/loss column even comes close to what his initial, as well as on going expectations were. I don't know if he quietly envisioned the possibility of going undefeated or not? The entire coaching staff knew they had assembled one of the very best group of athletes ever at BYU, I believe better than many past BYU teams that have lost 4 or 3 or 2 games during the season.
    Granted, we played a tough schedule this year, and Bronco and the rest of the coaching staff knew that going in, because he knew what he had in this BYU team.
    I believe every fan who is disappointed in the outcome of this season has a right to be. So allow the upset to occur. It is natural. But, watch our expressions always...

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    Dec. 28, 2012 1:00 p.m.

sammyg
    Springville, UT
    WAC (USU) paddled my Utes

Was it tough watching Arizona play in the New Mexico Bowl? I'm sure it was. LOL

Bitter and jealous U.

______________________________

Yeah how about the New Mexico Bowl!

Here are the viewer ratings from some recent games.

Idaho Potato Bowl 2.8
    New Mexico Bowl 2.6
    Poinsettia Bowl 2.2

Lowest Poinsettia Bowl ratings since 2006.
    So much for BYUs supposed growing national fan base.
    More people were interested in watching Utah State than BYU.
    LOL!

• gmckay ,
    Dec. 28, 2012 12:44 p.m.

Fans are actually pretty smart. We show up to six home games every year, attend a few away games, and we consider ourselves pretty football savvy, unlike coaches who have the full time job of coaching the game and knowing their players skill levels and abilities. I too get tired and frustruated with the negative reaction from many fans as well. I believe we don't know how well we've had it. Remember the Crowton years? I am amazed at how well BYU does with a very liminted and narrow market from which to draw recruits. The academic standards eliminate many talented kids, it's a religious school, and the honor code is not for everyone, member or not. And yet our coaches do a terrific job in getting kids to come to BYU. When you O-line is decimated, QB's get hurt, passes are hurried, and running back performance is reduced. How is that Weber's fault? We score two points at Boise and Bronco is hailed a genius. Heaven forbid if we ever win a National Championship--we'd call for heads every year for anything less than perfection thereafter. We are truly spoiled.

• Cougar Nation #1 Provo, UT
    Dec. 28, 2012 12:32 p.m.

Dear SJ Anderson,

We can't settle for mediocrity. This season was a huge disappointment losing to utah, sj state, boise state and ND when having a simple change at starting QB would've fixed the problem. No way we lose those games with Lark or Hill at QB. That's four wins that we are suppose to not complain about? Really? You must be drinking the bronco/riley nelson/doman kool-aid. We have a right to criticize this year's team, especially the coaches for very poor decision-making that cost us at least 4 wins and the school millions of dollars as well as better exposure. SJ, you simply don't get it and blindly following the coaching staff's decisions without questioning them when they are dead wrong doesn't help the cause.

• Mighty Mouse Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 28, 2012 12:06 p.m.

How do you spell l-a-m-e? No one has been more vocal than Coach Mendenhal himself about the expecations for BYU football. I do not hear him making excuses for why his team has not lived up those expectations. Many of us agree with the coaches vision we're just not happy with his execution this past

• manaen1 Buena Park, CA
    Dec. 28, 2012 11:55 a.m.

"Do we not think the coaching staff has these same goals for each and every season?"

Of course they do NOT have the same goals each and every season. They used to have the goal of a national championship -- now they have the goal of converting a near-elite program into an internship for an OC-wannabe.

What kind of OC does BYU need to win an NC? Let's benchmark that by looking at the OC when BYU did win it: Norm Chow. See the difference?

Does anyone truly believe that the road to a national championship runs through a young coach with NO experience as an OC? Has any other NC achieved that? If not, BYU's coaches' and AD's goal is not the same as before.

How did they explain that to the players they recruited on the NC goal?

How do they explain it to us fans?

This is not a matter of unlucky breaks among the O-line. It's a matter of bad decisions among the team's top leadership.

• bribri86 Phoenix, AZ
    Dec. 28, 2012 11:36 a.m.

There was this guy at Basic Training who thought he knew everything there was to know about the Army because he was in JROTC. The guy was annoying. This letter has that same 'feel' by needing to qualify their position saying they have "Coached high School Football" and "I went to BYU and so did my dog". This person is the opposite of all the people who are crying for BC's firing. A letter to the letter writer: Let people have their opinion and if their comments are 'appalling' to you, then DON'T READ THEM. If they sit next to you at a game, tough, they paid for their ticket too. You don't like it, don't go...but then you couldn't qualify as 'bleeding blue' if you don't have season tickets, right?

• fender Washington, UT
    Dec. 28, 2012 11:35 a.m.

@AKfan

"we fans are zero contributors and massive beneficiaries"

What reality does this comment come from? Who do you think makes a big time D1 football program possible? Tell this to the boosters who kick in big bucks every year or the folks who buy the season tickets or choose among many entertainment options to tune in Cougar football thereby inducing business to buy TV add time. Sure, they get to enjoy (suffer through in some cases) a game or a broadcast for a few hours each weekend, but "massive beneficiaries"?

On the other hand, the athletes receive scholarships valued at around a quarter million dollars a piece, a college education and recognition and connections worth untold dollars for later life. Coaches receive incomes that most of us can only dream about, so maybe a little criticism and second guessing isn't such a hardship when you consider that.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Dec. 28, 2012 11:32 a.m.

Every coach and every player are competitors who hate to lose. That is the nature of sports at the college and pro levels. These guys HATE to lose. I had a roommate who was a semi-pro football player. He broke things when his team lost. Nobody on that team is satisfied with the season we just had. None of the coaches are satisfied. I'm not sure any of them should be fired, and I'm positive that Bronco should NOT be fired. Statistically, he's the best coach BYU has ever had.

But I've been very critical of playing an injured Riley Nelson. I don't understand it. How could they overlook Lark? But coaches do this all the time. Nelson saved the season last year. He deserved the starts before he got injured. I understand the coaches' loyalty to Nelson. But Lark was overlooked, for whatever reason. He should have been started in the Utah game. But hindsight is 20/20 and past is past. Bronco is unlikely to make those mistakes again.

• TruthBTold SLC, UT
    Dec. 28, 2012 10:32 a.m.

Respectfully I have to disagree with PGVikingDad. 3 years of sub-par outputs, low-class Bowl invites and poor performances against top-tier teams (including Utah), have worn thin on many of US who are loyal BYU fans. I like Bronco personally--and do not think of him as arrogant or ignorant, but as calm in the middle of a storm--however, I do question some of his recruiting, coaching hires, play-calling, starting player choices & game-decisions, and he should hold himself as accountable as he does others.

I also agree with the comment that truly loyal BYU fans, who are passionate about the schools ability to accomplish its mission, are also going to be critical when the objectives are not being met. Bronco did not start the season stating that he hoped to go 8-5 and win the Poinsetta Bowl; he, his coaching staff & players had MUCH HIGHER expectations of themselves. While some individuals exceeded expectations (Van Noy, Ansah, Taysom Hill), others fell well short (Nelson, Sorenson, Offensive Line, Coaches Mendenhall & Doman), and it's time for change before mediocrity sets in.

Mediocrity will only serve to diminish recruiting and deteriorate scheduling--and what loyal fan wants that!

• longversion SANDY, UT
    Dec. 28, 2012 10:28 a.m.

Kyle Gunther on KFAN had an interesting comment on his radio program a while back on BYU offensive linemen and their development and training. He said Matt Reynolds was told, by NFL scouts, his technique was terrible. I found that interesting in light of the poor performance of the offensive line.

That said, injuries certainly played a part in the poor line play and lack of consistency or cohesion in the O-line. But you can't ignore that comment by NFL scouts.

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Dec. 28, 2012 10:14 a.m.

So what's the problem of expecting better?? Bronco himself stated that our only goal is to win a national championship. I like Bronco, he is a great coach for the BYU atmosphere. Does Mr. Anderson think that BYU is the only school who has fair weather fans? All schools expect the best and when it doesn't happen, coaches and players will come into question. That's just the way it is. Get over yourself. People just want to flap their mouths, so what, let them, they pay for their tickets just as much as you do and have the right to voice their opinions. It is just an opinion. I don't think Bronco or BYU makes their decisions based on fans opinions. Go BYU.

• longversion SANDY, UT
    Dec. 28, 2012 10:05 a.m.

There are many points in your letter Mr. Anderson that I can agree with, but your blanket attack on passionate fans who just want to see their team play to its potential is as unfair as the harsh criticism you claim comes from too many "fair weather" fans.

• longversion SANDY, UT
    Dec. 28, 2012 10:05 a.m.

The word fan comes from the word fanatic. A fanatic is defined as a person who is overenthusiastic about a particular interest. It appears Mr. Anderson has a problem with people who fit that definition and wear their fanaticism on their sleeves at BYU games. Mr. Anderson reminds me of the many BYU fans I have sat behind, next to, or in front of, who are quick to shoot a glaring stare if anything other than praise for team is caught by their ever alert ears. These, spectators (I won't use the word fans because I don't believe they fit the definition) seem to be always grumpy and irritated by any disruption to what they deem to be proper and permissable conduct at an athletic event.

Criticism for the under-performance of this years BYU football team is warranted and absolutely fair. Yes, Mr. Anderson, fans are generally not as knowledgeable as coaches or players, but I too have played the game, coached the game, and officiated the game and many other fans have done the same.

• longversion SANDY, UT
    Dec. 28, 2012 10:03 a.m.

I read Mr. Anderson's letter with mixed emotions, and yes, it brings up some fairly strong ones.

On one side I see the need to look deeper than just the end results when evaluating this BYU season, its players, and coaches. I understand these are people who are trying to do their best to put together a team that can be competitive at the top levels of college football. I share the passionate desire of coach Mendenhall to see a BYU football team compete for another national title and I believe he has done everything he can to recruit the players needed to do so. I also understand the difficulty inherent in the recruiting process at BYU. It isn't easy with missions and a strict honor code prohibiting many excellent athletes from attending BYU. There is no doubt in my mind, under coach Mendenhall, BYU has indeed improved its overall talent level. The entire athletic dept. deserves a pat on the back for its efforts to date.

Now for the other side. (See next post)

• srburton1951 Ontario, OR
    Dec. 28, 2012 9:36 a.m.

Big to-do about nothing. Certain fans will always have a lack of working brain cells and trying to call the shots about what coaches should do or should have done will always make them feel a little smarter and a little more important. The facts are easy to sort out-BYU struggled offensively and in a couple of games defensively, but over all the defense saved a respectable season. Whatever needs to be done offensively is the coach's and athletic director's responsibility. It's just like everyone else who has a job-do your job or find another one. I'm sure Mendenhall knows the problems and will take action to improve the offense, whatever it might be. If he doesn't, it's like any other job, no offense intended. BYU is a great program and will continue to be a great program despite some of the fans. So Mr. Anderson, I wouldn't really get too upset, it's just life, and the suspect parts of it, you are best advised to ignore-they won't go away.

• GilmerTexasCougar Gilmer, TX
    Dec. 28, 2012 8:39 a.m.

My oldest son (a BYU grad and a sports fanatic) concluded after the victory over San Diego State on Dec. 21 that Bronco would rather win a game because of "his" defense than to have his offense put on a show. The evidence this year seems to agree with that assessment. But blame the BYU fans? Ridiculous! Bronco and Doman are responsible for this offensive mess. I think Bronco is a good man and a great defensive coordinator who needs to humble himself, admit mistakes, swallow his pride, and make whatever changes are necessary to get back to BYU offensive football, while retaining his really great defense. It is the fans who pay for the football program. At times Bronco seems to hold us in contempt. After losing to Boise State when the two-point attempt failed Bronco swears he would always do the same thing. That is stupid. Admit it was a mistake and learn from mistakes. We fans would like to see a more humble Bronco.

• GilmerTexasCougar Gilmer, TX
    Dec. 28, 2012 8:35 a.m.

Oatmeal, you said this: "BYU's coaches are skilled professionals willing to work within the constraints of the honor code. They face the wrath of fans for enforcing that code and recruiting players willing to abide by that code." The greatest wrath this fan ever had for a BYU coach was directed at Gary Crowton for recruiting thugs who nearly destroyed BYU football. Of course we want players who can be expected to obey the honor code. Overall, Bronco has recruited excellent young men. But I remind you that James Lark is also one of those young men and he was ignored until circumstances forced Bronco to start him in his last two collegiate games and only in those games. Bronco tantalizes fans with promises of "Pursuit of Excellence." Then he goes for two against Boise State when an extra point would have tied the game and sent it into overtime. I am 70 years old and a graduate of BYU and a true-blue BYU fan. I cannot be upset with fans who chose not to go to the bowl game and are critize the offensive side of coaching.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 28, 2012 7:33 a.m.

"At least THAT team managed to win another bowl game"

deductive:

For which THEY can thank the late-season matchups with various Bo Diddley Techs.

• AKFan JUNEAU, AK
    Dec. 28, 2012 1:59 a.m.

No one is saying we are supposed to be 'satisfied' with an 8-5 season, but when you look at the investment of effort to enjoyment ration, we fans are zero contributors and massive beneficiaries. We are not in the weight rooms, not in the training rooms, we are not running endless gassers up and down the field. We are not investing blood sweat and tears in every practice, just so people on laptops or in front of the television can pontificate on what should have been. Of course the Offensive line could have been more effective, do you think anyone knows this more than they do? By the way some fans write, we just went 5-8 instead of 8-5. And anyone who thinks blow out losses is better than being competitive with top teams is just not bright.

I agree with the tone and tenor of the letter. I also agree that if all but a possible one or two people who might possibly be reading this column ran the football program at BYU, it would be dropped in about two seasons.

• IdahoCoog Malad City, ID
    Dec. 28, 2012 1:07 a.m.

BYU's fight song says something about being there through rain or snow, and nothing will keep you from being a fan... nothing! Not the coach, not the QB, not shopping or doing yard work ... NOTHING!' I've been a fan when losing records against so-so teams was Normal, when I knew we had no chance of winning. BYU is now on the verge of being an elite team, but you fairweather fans are going to ruin it with petty whining and demanding indifference.

• IdahoCoog Malad City, ID
    Dec. 28, 2012 1:04 a.m.

Fairweather fans who do not support their team always... hurt their team always! The perception that BYU has a following was severely damaged by 'fans' who supposed they were sending some kind of 'statement.' The statement they sent, BYU does not have a consistent fan base to fill a bowl's seats... National footprint ... they didn't see it! BYU's graded on what 'they' saw. They learned BYU's fans don't watch on tv in sufficient numbers ... don't blame it on SDSU. TV ratings show BYU brought in 35% less ratings than the SDSU-Navy game two years ago. BYU FAILED! Even the USU-Toledo bowl had a better showing fan-wise than BYU. Don't you really know BYU's bowl future's determined by hineys in the seats! Don't you really know recruiting will suffer???

• IdahoCoog Malad City, ID
    Dec. 28, 2012 12:36 a.m.

Amen to this article. Well said. 8-5 is a very respectable season most fans would die for... but as many 'true blue' fans have said, the current crop of BYU fairweather fans are woefully shortsighted. Those 'fans' that couldn't care less deserve not seeing the greatest defense in BYU history, KVN, Ogletree, Ansah, and Hoffman perhaps for the last time in the blue and white. These are really great players, whi were fun to watch, and those 'fans' who couldn't care less are not real fans.. only supporting the team when they do everything 'their' way. That is not a real fan. A real fan attends all games he can, or watches intently on tv, or listens closely on the radio. I remember listening to games through tons of static on my radio, when I could only get every third word or so... and my father had his ear held closely to the other side of the radio.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Dec. 27, 2012 11:09 p.m.

WAC (USU) paddled my Utes

Bitter words from a poor Ute fan that didn't have a bowl game (sniff sniff) for his team.

Most honest Ute fans readily admit they would have liked to have seen their team in a bowl game... any bowl game... but not you.

Nope... Utes play in the Rose Bowl or some 'meaningful' bowl game, or not at all, especially not some 'mediocre bowl game'. Utes would rather stay at home.

Well enjoy it because that's exactly what's going to happen for a while, probably a little more regularly I'm guessing.

Was it tough watching Arizona play in the New Mexico Bowl? I'm sure it was. LOL

Bitter and jealous U.

• deductive reasoning Arlington, VA
    Dec. 27, 2012 9:26 p.m.

JohnInSLC

At least THAT team managed to win another bowl game, unlike that sorry sack of couch potatoes on the hill.

• GD Syracuse, UT
    Dec. 27, 2012 7:06 p.m.

I agree with you Mr. Anderson. I do think something needs changing in our offense and I hope they figure it out. I for one really dislike the option that we've started running. The success of that one play has been very predicable. Mostly for a loss.
    We'd all like BYU to be undefeated or one loss, but be realistic. It's going to be more difficult as we move into more difficult schedules. I worry about our depth and our talent level. These kids play their hearts out and usually play above what would be expected in my opinion, which is just that, my opinion.
    Gary

• allblue Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 27, 2012 6:50 p.m.

I agree with other posters who believe that Bronco needs to be a coach to ALL team members, not just the select defensive stars or "pet" players. How would you feel as an offensive player, outside of Riley Nelson, if you had a head coach that was lackadaisical, a best, toward your position of play? Bronco has himself to blame for fans being critical of the offense…they are just mirroring his lack of confidence and commitment to the offensive staff and players.

• Willie deG CALGARY, 00
    Dec. 27, 2012 6:05 p.m.

In the field of human endeavour (so I am Canadian Hate me)there so many variables in play that we cannot expect perfect behaviour or outcomes especially when it comes to physical sports. How many times have we seen a powerhouse team get totally whacked by a "loser" team. When you go golfing you can birdie a hole one time and bogey it another time. So it is we need to be more forgiving of others decisions and actions. Some have said that another quarterback should have been used. Could you or would you guarantee that there would have been a better result. Now I am assuming that none of you are translated individuals(snicker snicker)so get a grip on yourselves and enjoy the game, realizing that feces do occur.

• kaysvillecougar KAYSVILLE, UT
    Dec. 27, 2012 5:33 p.m.

As a BYU grad and one of the best flag football players to grace the green fields of Provo(I kid), I've got to agree with this article. This season has been frustrating in many ways, but it's been really uncomfortable to see how seriously many fans take their cougar sports. Don't get me wrong. I watch every football game and almost every basketball game available, but it's embarrassing to see how enraged and over-the-top some fans behave. I'm sure this has been frustrating to the players and coaches as well. I don't think it's bad to criticise, but the personal attacks on players and coaches concerning their character, honesty, etc. is really disappointing. I'd like to congratulate the fantasic players and coaches at BYU for their success this year and I always hope they have an even better year next year. But wheather they do or not, I've realized there are so many more important things in life that we have some controll over. I'm afraid some feel like their angry posts or screaming at the TV will somehow change the situation. Hope and joy for 2013!

• Winglish Lehi, UT
    Dec. 27, 2012 5:10 p.m.

As to the Doman remarks- What makes the author confident that hiring Doman was either the Christian thing to do, or even correct on just a football level? Robert Anae had five consecutive 10-win seasons prior to his being "demoted". He had sent the previous two quarterbacks to the NFL and just had his freshman QB (Heaps) named to the Freshman All-American Team. So the decision to replace Anae was made, why?
    Criticism is fair when it is warranted, Mr. Anderson. The Doman hire had nothing to do with football. That much is obvious.

• Wireless Lawyer Lehi, UT
    Dec. 27, 2012 5:02 p.m.

BYU football, like any popular endeavor, is going to have fans of all stripes--optimists, pessimists, rational, irrational, placid, hostile, stay-the-course, burn it all down and start over--it's the nature of the beast.

It's a good thing that the tent is large enough to cover them all. We don't have to agree on how best to build a great program, but we should agree on the goal--a winning program achieved within the unique charter of BYU (including the Honor Code). The rest is just noise--and better to try to find the entertainment value in different opinions rather than taking them to heart.

Good players, coaches and admninistrators don't spend time listening to fan chatter. They are successful because the have a plan, are focused on executing it and can't be defocused by fan chatter. I don't think Cody Hoffman spent much time lamenting mediocre QB play, otherwise he wouldn't have done the work required to catch 100+ passes.

Fans will vent, SJ, it's what they do. Take comfort in the fact that the better the program, the less likely anyone who matters will pay attention to such chatter.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 27, 2012 4:45 p.m.

Phx:

Although they played fewer doormats in order to qualify for a bowl, Utah also beat a Top 25 team THIS YEAR.

Unfortunately for that team, they SANK FROM SIGHT. But their fans are now providing endless entertainment by demonstrating their infamous "holier-than-thou" attitude with each other.

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    Dec. 27, 2012 4:42 p.m.

Go get em' phoenix!
    USU was not ranked then. But at least BYU lost to the other ranked teams on their schedule!

And as usual, BYU fans like yourself are satisfied with just a mediocre bowl game. Nothing more like a better record or better bowl game.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Dec. 27, 2012 3:53 p.m.

upinthenight

BYU beat Top 25 Utah State THIS YEAR!

-----------

NO conference championships for U

Call us when U finally beat a conference foe with a winning record. It's laughable that you're so embarrassed to be associated with the U, that you pretend to be a BYU fan.

Enjoy the couch potato bowl along with the other teams who were so pitiful that they couldn't even qualify for a bowl.

• No Conference Will Take Us SEATTLE, WA
    Dec. 27, 2012 3:30 p.m.

I wish fellow BYU fans would stop talking about what could have been. We were not 12-1 and we were not 13-0. BYU was 8-5. Some out there need to find a new hobby or stop following football all together. They take it way to seriously.

Settle down and enjoy a bowl of green jello while watching Brady Bunch tonight.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Dec. 27, 2012 3:12 p.m.

Jealous U said:

"WACPaddled

Being invited to a "real" conference doesn't mean much when you finished winless in the WAC.

Call us when you finally beat a decent team in your new conference."

No matter who you schedule as an independent, BYU will struggle as usual to beat ranked teams. Look at the bright side though, Idaho and New Mex State are your new band of independent brothers!

Call us when you get into a "real" conference.

• Jealous U Alpine, UT
    Dec. 27, 2012 2:07 p.m.

WACPaddled

Call us when you finally beat a decent team in your new conference.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Dec. 27, 2012 2:02 p.m.

Finally, what sources tell you that Gary Anderson would have considered the BYU position? First of all, let’s compare: Wisconsin - BYU. Compensation: millions vs. 100s of thousand; recruiting: Big 10 vs. ????; bowl tie-in: Rose Bowl vs. Poinsettia bowl or Kraft Fight Hunger or Armed-Forces Bowl.

I have been an avid BYU fan for 55 years, but I know our limitations. If we expect to be a continual top-10 team with the honor code and geographic location, we are living in a fool’s paradise. If Gary Anderson can make $2 million dollars a year, he sets himself and family up for life before the contract runs out, regardless of success level. He passed up Colorado and Cal, not because of the money but because of the program potential. Do you really think he would trade one “low-paying” position for another with the added burden of unrealistic fan expectations in Provo?

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Dec. 27, 2012 2:02 p.m.

Inquiring minds want to know. Parkite1, please explain how anyone short of Thomas S. Monson is going to talk Andy Reid into accepting a college OC or even HC position, especially one located in Provo. There’s that old song from the 20s, “How You Gonna Keep ‘Em Down on the Farm, After They’ve Seen Paree.” Reid is a successful NFL coach. He can write his own ticket for any situation he wants.

Also, please explain how Holmoe is to “bring in” Detmer. Is he supposed to send out a hit squad to abduct Ty and somehow create an indenture situation that compels him to coach here rather than in San Antonio, where he has his ranch, hunting preserve, family, and just about everything that is important to him? I have never heard of Ty expressing any interest in the job whatsoever. How do you “bring in” someone who is not willing to come?

Lest you call me a BYU hater, let me remind you I have had season tickets since I returned to Provo (where I was raised) in 1985. I attended games for 25 years before that.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Dec. 27, 2012 2:01 p.m.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Dec. 27, 2012 2:01 p.m.

Remember, close only counts in horseshoes and handgrenades (Nuclear Bombs too). Coming close does not count. You either win or lose. It's not how close you come. Losing by 1 is still as bad as losing by 50 (especially to the U). There are no moral victories except those where you are ahead on the score at the end of the contest.

Let's not talk about the Y needting to execute better or be more precise. Let's talk about winning the darn game and then go out and do it. Emotion plays as much in a game as ability and execution. Riley proved that a couple of times last year. Not this year.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Dec. 27, 2012 1:57 p.m.

Being a disgruntled fan, it is our right and privilage to complain. About QB choices, about the O line, about the running backs, about Doman, about the overall philosophy of the program. That is part and parcel of being a fan.

Weber is only a scapegoat. He's done a good job and I don't think the blame can be laid at his feet. The blame is always with the boss, which would be Bronco. Weber just played the hand he was dealt.

The blame is really about the overall philosophy of the program. Bronco is a defensive coach. His focus is the defense. LaVell was a defensive coach, but he hired excellent assistants, gave them the over all philosophy and let them do their jobs while he acted as the CEO. Making the big decisions but leaving the small print to his assistants. Bronco has not learned that one lesson. He needs to find a D-Coordinator that he trusts and then leave him alone and consentrate on the big picture. He needs to be concerned with the over all play of the team and be more involved with the offense. If he can't learn that...

• redhot Orem, UT
    Dec. 27, 2012 1:28 p.m.

Hawkr-
    Let me get this straight. So, a football player can "sustain" an injury and a football team can "sustain" a loss, but football fans can't "sustain" their team? And, since when are "sports writers" the go-to authority of correct word usage?

Regardless, here you go. Just one of many examples...

"The emotion of fan support can sustain a team in the short term." Unfortunately D-news doesn't allow for URL's so you'll just have to google the writers' article title and names-The Pro Sports Market in Canada by Glen Hodgson and Mario Lefebvre, February 2011.

Again, go consult the good ole Webster. It may help expand your vocabulary.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Dec. 27, 2012 12:49 p.m.

WACPaddled

Utah fans are just trying to ignore the reality that no matter how poorly the Cougars do, the Utes will find a way to do even worse. The Utes didn't just have a down year, the Utes have been in steady decline since they hit their high water mark in 2008.

utahcountyute

The Utes aren't going through any "growing pains" of being in a power conference, they're simply discovering who they really are -- bottom feeding cannon fodder for the big boys of the PAC to pad their records. No worries; Washington State and Colorado appreciate the company.

• sg newhall, CA
    Dec. 27, 2012 12:33 p.m.

I have two words for Anderson: Lighten up!

• BluTru Santa Monica, CA
    Dec. 27, 2012 12:31 p.m.

BYU Fans don’t have to apologize for not supporting the failure of BYU Football to achieve its true potential for the past SEVERAL years. 2012 was the ultimate in watching on-field performance which could not equal the talent and abilities of the young men in the BYU program.

Why did this happen? These failures fall to the feet of bad coaching decisions. Without those coaching mistakes, BYU would have achieved a 12-1 season or have been 12-0 & "BCS bowling".

The Poinsettia Bowl exemplified the fact BYU has superior talent, but horrible coaching, especially on offense. That responsibility for that failure starts at the top, with a man who actually said after the Poinsettia Bowl-"I am proud of our 8-5 record; we are more than just wins and losses".

Bronco should not be excused from his on field coaching failures, bad decision-making, and arrogant attitude towards fans and alumni just because he is a good member of the LDS church; he should have optimum results on the field. Gary Anderson, another LDS coach, turned around Utah State, and was rewarded with HC@Wisconsin. BYU needs a change.

• BYUHOCKEY American Fork, UT
    Dec. 27, 2012 11:18 a.m.

great article err i mean letter to the editor...but i don't know any fans calling for Weber's head. He's been a magician and should stay. I have never heard anyone say it was Weber's fault unless he's the O-line recruiter as well. the real issue fans have is the mancrush the coaches have on a certain QB who can't throw the ball farther than me when we have had Lark and Munns (true passing QB's) we fans have been kept in the dark about their true talent.

• Eliot Santaquin, UT
    Dec. 27, 2012 10:34 a.m.

I have a very vivid image in my mind of an injured Robbie Bosco hobbling around the 1984 Holiday Bowl on one leg and still managing to throw the winning touchdown to secure the National Championship. Coaches must have thought that an injured Bosco was better suited to lead the team to victory than a healthy Blaine Fowler. The difference is that it worked out in the end for BYU in 1984--but one can only imagine what folks would have had to say if Bosco had not been able to deliver the ball to Kelly Smith on that last drive. The next year (1985) was one of those could-have-should-have years with an early season close loss to UCLA followed by a stunning loss to UTEP who ended the year 1-10. The Cougars lost to Ohio St. in the bowl game by the whopping score of 10-7. All of the losses that year hinged on interceptions returned for TDS. After the season fans learned that Bosco played with an injured shoulder all year. We forgive and we forget (at least some of us) and move on with our lives.

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    Dec. 27, 2012 10:27 a.m.

Snack PAC & Truth Machine are trying their best to deflect BYUs problems.
    We know Utah had a down season. Everyone knows your side can't handle the fact they were invited to a real conference over BYU. Get over it. Focus on actually winning games against ranked teams, other than USU which you act like is a national title!

Carry on with your mediocre bowl aspirations.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 27, 2012 10:12 a.m.

Swoop

The thing is, yeah the Utes have taken their lumps moving into a premier conference in the PAC. That being said, the cougs actually have a decent 2013 schedule with fewer cream puffs for padding. With no QB to speak of and a couple of nice pieces from the D declaring for the NFL, the cougs will be in a real pickle.

Asi es

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 27, 2012 9:35 a.m.

utahcountyute

"next year the Cougs are looking at 8 losses"

Bad news for the Utes, who are averaging two losses more than the Cougs since joining the PAC.

• Truth Machine Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 27, 2012 9:26 a.m.

Silent Lurker

Instead of involving yourself in a discussion that has absolutely nothing to do with the Utes, U should be worrying about your football program following in the train wreck tradition of your basketball program.

Call us the first time the Utes beat a PAC 12 team with a winning record. The truth is, the ONLY team of any significance the Utes have beaten the last two years...

is BYU!

If the Utes had beaten the only WAC team on their schedule, a team BYU beat, the Utes would have been bowling.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 27, 2012 9:22 a.m.

byU "fans" calling out other byU "fans" as "fair-weather", duck sitting on the fence as the "balance" and next year the cougs are looking at 8 losses.

Good stuff

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    Dec. 27, 2012 9:17 a.m.

54-IQ

Typical ankle-biting response from a hill troll who is content to live with losing seasons and no bowls as long as U beat BYU.

• tlaulu Taylorsville, Utah
    Dec. 27, 2012 9:15 a.m.

Could someone please remind me of when we do the "sustain-ing votes for football season. Is it at the beginning of each season, after the opening prayer each game?. I guess I'll have to pay attention now that I've been called to repentance as a "Fair Weather Fan". LOL!

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 27, 2012 9:09 a.m.

Foolish. Fans pay money for a quality product. If the quality drops, as it has at BYU, then they don't buy tickets. Bronco can have his way and hate the fans, but he may be left with a half empty stadium as happened under Crowton. If you charge money you better deliver.

• Silent Lurker Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 27, 2012 9:05 a.m.

A more accurate perspective is that BYU's schedule was awful. BYU won 7 regular season games, six of which included the likes of Georgia Tech (who lost to Tennessee State), Washington State (who Utah destroyed), New Mexico State, Idaho, Hawaii, and Weber State. BYU's record against the other five teams played was 1-5, including a loss to a really bad Utah team, the mark key "big" win was against Utah State, a WAC team. Perhaps this is what is bothering the fans you want to call out as being fair-weather. Try to view the season without your blue colored glasses and you might see it for what it really was.

• Moondogg Layton, UT
    Dec. 27, 2012 9:04 a.m.

You have it all wrong. The person that needs to be fired is Bronco. His love affair with Riley is sickening. As a BYU fan, I do have high expectations. An 8 & 5 season does not meet that expectation. Especially with the schedule the Cougs had. Good bye Bronco.

• baller Sandy, UT
    Dec. 27, 2012 8:44 a.m.

Fans aren't asking that much. Bronco is the one that says "Our goal is a National Championsip, and a Quest for Perfection". You can's do either if you can't score an offensive touchdown, or make a PAT against Boise, or miss two GW field goals at Utah, or underthrow a wide open Hoffman by over 15 yards at Notre Dame, or play an injured quarterback at SJSU after the color commentators have said twenty times "it's time to bench Nelson. He's hurt".

• Parkite1 Park City, UT
    Dec. 27, 2012 7:17 a.m.

Please, there is no scapegoat. It is simple due to Mendenhall's lack of leadership and player favortism the team finished at 8-5 instead of 11-1 or 12-0 and about to play in a BCS Bowl or National Championship. Rewatch the games and tell us if Bronco (as he suprisingly acknowledged being at fault for) had prepared the team for the noise at Utah would it not have been a victory? Put Hill/Lark in for an injured Nelson would Bosie, ND, and San Jose not been victories? Oregon State tied early in the 4th substitue Lark victory, who knows? Regarding Taysom Hill the injury was inexcusable due to pathetic lack of observant coaching

So now it is time for Holmoe to chat with Andy Reid, bring in Detmer as offensive coach and relegate Bronco to defensive, or keep the status quo with Bronco in charge and possibly finish at 6-6 next year...shame Holmoe didnt reach out to Gary Anderson

• Pa. Reader Harrisburg, PA
    Dec. 27, 2012 6:47 a.m.

Fan is short for fanatic.
    Bronco is paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to deal with all aspects of a coach's life, including input--fair or not--from the fans, some of whom are fanatic and have a right to be.
    The difference between BYU and Utah this year is the Utes couldn't pad their schedule with enough patsies (due to PAC 12 foes) to be bowl eligible. To be fair, BYU's schedule would have been tougher if Tom Holmoe could have found better opponents. Then we Cougar fans would also have missed out on the bowl game experience.
    I understand this letter writer doesn't want to see his friend, or anyone else, fired. And hopefully he really isn't as upset about the scary old meanies among BYU fans as he pretends to be. But he really is as unreasonable and unfair as he accuses others of being.
    If a gritty but average team is good enough, the Cougar Club sure doesn't need all those donations they ask for. Especially is criticism from the donors is so intolerable.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Dec. 27, 2012 2:13 a.m.

Fair weather fans certainly do exist, but BYU football performing far below what they should have isn't just my opinion. Listen to Tom Holmoe, go back and watch the games and listen to the ESPN analysts. Are they "fair-weather fans?" ESPN analysts are neutral observers who call it how they see it. What they saw were elite receivers and a top 5 defense that were being wasted (that is a direct quote) because of who was playing quarterback. Not to mention that running backs weren't getting the ball because mr. hero (we all know who that is) had to carry the ball at least half the time. Tom Holmoe even said "football needs to be better"

I try to be reasonable. I am not one of those fans who are calling for Bronco to be fired, or even Brandon Doman to be fired or demoted or whatever. The problems this year were clearly Riley Nelson playing QB (whose physical limitations were not Doman's fault) and the performance of the O-line, which Coach Weber is directly responsible for. The line did okay at times, but not being able to run block a 3-3-5 defense is unacceptable.

• Elk Hair Caddis Sandy, UT
    Dec. 27, 2012 1:01 a.m.

Its football not General Conference. I can understand not Monday morning quarterbacking General Conference. But really, isn't that part of what makes football fun?

By the way, I appreciate the coaches leaving Lark in for almost the entire bowl game. Not a great offensive showing but he got a shot he more than deserved.

• Hawkr Mesa, AZ
    Dec. 27, 2012 12:19 a.m.

Nice try redhot! Only LDS BYU fans like Mr Anderson would use the word "sustain" when talking about football fan support. However, if you can show me a sportswriter using it when talking about football fans supporting their team, I'll gladly take the comment back. Good luck.

• Y's Guy Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 11:12 p.m.

"I was suddenly awakened early Christmas morning, not by reindeer's hooves, but by feelings of dismay and disappointment, I was compelled to write. I am appalled and embarrassed by the fair-weather fans at BYU!"

Seriously? You woke up Christmas morning with feelings of dismay and disappointment? Because of football? My friend, have you considered any kind of counseling? Because, if that is truly the case, you are wound a bit too tight.

If that is not the case, then you really ought to look up the word 'Hyperbole'.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 9:54 p.m.

Typical BYU "fan" behavior as evidenced by the posts on these boards.

• Fuzz Springville, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 9:51 p.m.

Anyone that thinks the BYU fans are hard on coaches and players have obviously never lived outside Utah. That notion is laughable. Also, Duckhunter is spot on regarding Fair Weather fans. Mr. Anderson doesn't quite have that definition down. That's OK, we get what he's trying to say. He just happens to be wrong.

Mr. Anae was let go after performing better than Mr. Doman.

Riley's career should have ended when he was replaced by Taysom Hill. He was never fit to play after the Weber State game and should not have been cleared. By his own admission he lied when asked if he was healthy enough to play. Some call that gritty or gutsy. I call it self-centered and dishonest. Riley definitely did not have the team's best interest this year.

Should anyone get fired? I'm not sure, but based on precedent, yes. I guess we will see. At the very least, Mr. Doman should not be the OC next year. Keep him on as an assistant, but not the OC.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 9:40 p.m.

I guess I qualify as "fair weather" because I have lack appreciation for a team that takes all day to snap the ball and has numerous false-start penalties each game using Jake Heaps play calling and there are teams that go an entire season with maybe two such fouls. I've only been a fan since 1969 (before Lavell was the new head coach) and I can't get very excited to see a good QB get injured at the end of the game when the OC doesn't send in a play to "take a knee" but afterwards says he tried and the QB missed the signal, resulting in a season-ending injury. I find it unvelieable that when deciding to go for two at Boise State and seeing BSU call time out to adjust their defense for the anticipated play that the Y coaches still went ahead with it and failed. I've watched Steve Young, Robbie Boscoe, Ty Detmer, Gifford Neilsen, Gary Sheide, Jim McMan, Mark Wilson, Max Hall, John Beck, etc win many great games, yet this year we couldn't produce a winning touchdown in several games.

Yes, I'm definitely a "fair-weather" fan.

• ParkerCoug12 Parker, CO
    Dec. 26, 2012 8:40 p.m.

I would not call a 40 year fan a fair weather fan. Not even close. Watched or listened to nearly every game over that stretch of time. As a never waivering fan, I have come to expect an offense similar to ones in the past. Just my opinion in watching this team for nearly 40 years through thick and thin. Brandon Doman seems like the most lost offensive coordinator we have had over that stretch of time. I did not think he helped his QBs much either, when he was a QB coach. If criticism places me into the fair weather fan category, so be it. People don't like criticism I realize, but I think fans have the right to speak up and express themselves.

• redhot Orem, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 7:47 p.m.

Hawkr-

You're the epitome of the type of fan this article describes- "the comments that come from some fans are absurd, and reveal their lack of knowledge." "Sustain" is not just a religious word used by the LDS faith. Read the dictionary...
    Sustain:
    1. To keep in existence; maintain.
    2. To supply with necessities or nourishment; provide for.
    3. To support from below; keep from falling or sinking; prop.
    4. To support the spirits, vitality, or resolution of; encourage.
    5. To bear up under; withstand
    6. To affirm the validity of

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 7:11 p.m.

Mr. Anderson seems to be trying to set himself up as the elite, extra special, righteous "fan" who, by comparison, makes all us "fair weather fans" appear to be flaky, insincere, faking fans - what? Like we are really Ute fans deep down?

Give me a break. "True" fans have every right to be disappointed when the team we love fails to meet expectations. We are fans of excellence, and when our team fails to live up to its potential, we are justified in critiquing and calling for change... and that does NOT dilute our status as true fans!

Grow up, Mr. Anderson.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 7:06 p.m.

Accountability: something Bronco demands out of his coaches and players but something he doesn't owe to fans because, in Bronco's opinion, fans are ignorant pharisees.

Worse than fair-weather fans are fans who give blind obedience when the performance record is, at best, spotty. They've never learned that if you keep doing a thing over and over you're stuck with the mediocre results. Losing to a bad Utah team and to SJSU is poor.

• Hawkr Mesa, AZ
    Dec. 26, 2012 6:49 p.m.

"their lack of true support for a team they supposedly sustain!"

Uh....no. AS much as I love BYU, I "sustain" church leaders, but not any sports team, BYU or not. I think worlds are colliding Mr. Anderson!

• oldtimeftballer Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 6:39 p.m.

Reading these makes me laugh.

BYU will never be a top 10 program. They aren't even seen as a top 20 program to those outside of Utah. And Utah is heading the wrong way also (not bowl eligible and having to play Stanford and Oregon this year -2 more losses)....

People need to get real. BYU is a 35 th ranked team, and is getting harder. What gives all if you BYU fans the right to act like you are so good? Then complain like crazy when u don't win? You aren't the SEC or PAC12 Champs....or been in a BCS game for heavens sakes. You are, sorry as I like BYu, irrelevant in the National picture.

If the non educated football fan base would understand this, and cheer when BYu has a magical year, it would be great. But the year after year (and will be worse next year) complaining is getting old.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 5:40 p.m.

It's interesting that with all the coug-on-coug crime going on here that Ducky, the self-proclaimed "real" "fan", still has to take a shot at the Utes--something everyone else managed to avoid.

That doesn't sound like a "real" coug fan to me. LOL, indeed!!

• JDL Magna, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 5:21 p.m.

Perception is reality

I think Mr. Anderson is within his right to write what he did but I don't buy into all that he said. I have always given the the coaches the benefit of the doubt and still do for the most part but as a business owner, I have to correct my project managers, superintendents and foremen who are extraordinary professionals from time to time and hold them accountable for the performance on the job and the quality of the finished product. They do make choices that affect the outcome of the job in quality, on time delivery and profits or losses.

I have a right to be discriminating in my business and my owner/clients have the right to be discriminating with me.

I think Coach Mendenhall made some major mistakes by letting Jake Heaps get away. I think he made some very poor choices to continue to play Riley Nelson when he was so badly hurt which in my estimation cost us games.

This is my perception and also my reality.

• Jim1027 St. George, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 5:18 p.m.

I've been following BYU football since 1965 where I attended the Y and was a member of the track team. I can't say I've always been a ticket holder, since I was in Alaska and California for many of those years, but I followed them one way or the other.

There are too many fair-weather fans. You don't always have a great season. And, many times it is not the coach that is at fault. If you get tons of injuries, have a young team, or just have players that are not as good as others, then what can the coach do?

Sure, the quarterback situation was disappointing but if we had an all-american QB then there wouldn't be such a decision to make. When you have several guys that are not doing well, any way you decide is not going to be opportune.

We all need to help in recruiting every good LDS kid or every good kid to make us better.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 5:16 p.m.

The only time we loose is when the refs hate us or we beat ourselfs. We're usually the best team and best coach in the USA.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 5:15 p.m.

(Continued)

Yes, fans are entitled to expect a good performance. But I don’t know what would justify delusional expectations, such as a 12-1 or 13-1 season. Now I would object that people that talk that way embarrass me – and I guarantee I have followed BYU football longer than the Attila has been alive. We did not have a great season, but it was not a disaster. If Lark were that much better, he would have played. Lighting it up against NMSU proves nothing. SDSU showed the real Lark, who may have been marginally better than Riley but not enough to throw that baby out with the bathwater.
    Next year we have a new season – hopefully more satisfying. If the AD decides to make changes, so be it. I don’t think any of us want victories any more than he does, Meanwhile, as much as I hope they win every game, any losses will not diminish my self-image, satisfaction in life or my passion as a BYU fan.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 5:13 p.m.

OK, BYU fans. Take a collective breath and relax a moment. We have two sharply divided camps here:

1. Those that feel that no negative word should ever be uttered about a coach or player - particularly if that coach is not LDS for fear that criticism means we won’t get any good coaches in the future. Trust me, other fan bases criticize their coaches.. Anybody who coaches but is sensitive to outside criticism doesn't stay in the business long.

2. Some people seem to feel anything short of running Bronco, Doman and Webber out of town on a rail covered with tar is insufficient. I will answer one series of rhetorical questions posted above: a) Which coach botched the snap vs. Utah? B) Which coach threw a picksix vs Boise? C) Which coach missed the receiver vs. ND? I'm sure it was a player. I've seen Payton Manning throw picksixes and miss receivers. Surely a college player doing so is not unknown. Especially a player of modest talents. But on the balance, including bowl game, did Jimmy Football do any better than Gritty Riley? In a word, NO.

(continued)

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 4:54 p.m.

I'm in the middle on this. I haven't called for anyones job and am not planning to, I don't think we've reached that point, but I am critical of many of the things that occured over the last 3 years. It is obvious that the last 2 years in particular have been extremely poor offensively, you don't have to be a coach to see it Anderson, and yes there is blame for that. Is it all the line and coach Weber? No. Is it all Riley and Doman? No. But all of them share in the blame because they are the ones that are responsible for putting a decent offense on the field and they did not do it.

Nothing "fair weather" about that Mr. Anderson, frankly people voicing concern about it are the opposite of "fair weather", they actually care. "Fair weather" is what you get at utah where no one shows up at the hc after a couple of down years. Those are "fair weather" "fans".

Pack your sanctimony away, voice your support for the coaches if that is how you feel but realize that there are plenty of REAL fans that disagree with you.

• BigCougFan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 4:47 p.m.

I can't help but agree with the writer. Too many of the vocal fans think way too much of themselves to be taken seriously. They remind me of Utah fans. lol

• PGVikingDad Pleasant Grove, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 4:31 p.m.

Absolutely spot-on. As a BYU grad and former BYU athlete, it pains me to see how quickly our fans turn on every coach or administrator (or athlete!) not currently associated with a spotless season. We were a few stops and drops from a magical season, and still many call for heads to roll. It's pathetic and frustrating.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 26, 2012 4:03 p.m.

Br Anderson - amen, and Merry Christmas.

To many of my brethren, constructive criticism, by definition would be constructive. Haven't seen much of that. And the arrogance, or ignorance, of suggesting that those who have not rallied with torch and pitchfork have somehow become complacent with mediocrity is not even worthy of debate.

That's all. Happy New Year and I can't wait for all news BYU football!

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 4:01 p.m.

I knew Andersen had a personal relationship with Weber long before he wrote it in this piece. It just had that flavor right from the start. I'm not saying he didn't bring up good points but it certainly makes you question what motive the person has in writing this letter when he has never written a letter to an editor before.

Don't blame the fans if Weber gets let go. It's not our decision. I sincerely hope that Bronco can figure things out and put a much improved offense on the field without forcing anyone out of a job they want. I don't think BYU fans are fair weather fans either. We wouldn't be so passionate about fixing the horrible offense if we didn't care.

• Ben H Clearfield, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 3:43 p.m.

The writer of this letter just does not get it. It's not the final 8-5 record that is frustrating fans at all. It's the fact that 4 of the 5 games were lost by a single score. Of those 4 games, mistakes that good teams do not make were the difference. The botched snap vs Utah. The pick-6 at Boise State. The missed pass against Notre Dame. And any of the 4 drives inside of San Jose State's 30 yard line. Good teams do not lose games the way that BYU lost games this season. Had BYU's offense played cleanly, another 11-win season would be in the books.

The bowl game would have been a loss if it were not for the defensive plays in the 4th quarter. BYU's offense was just not good enough to otherwise win the game.

I would be happy with an 8-5 season if that was this team's potential. But that was not the case this year.

• AttilaTheHun Nephi, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 3:42 p.m.

Oatmeal - 8-5 when BYU so easily could have and should have been 12-1 (and possibly 13-0) but for the reasons I already outlined is beyond frustrating, and fans like me (I've been attending since 1989 as a teenager, and waking up at 2-5 AM in Europe to watch games overseas for the better part of the past decade) have every right to expect more than what was delivered this year. It has nothing to do with whether or not I've ever coached. I don't need to have previously coached to know that when your limping starting quarterback is overshooting or undershooting all his receivers with wobbly ducks and blowing gimme TD's in close games to national powerhouses because of it, and you fail to pull him for guys that can (and did) deliver later, those are coaching errors. It has NOTHING to do with the character and development of the personnel on the field, and to suggest that healthy criticism of poor coaching performance stains players' character is a repugnant, straw man argument that I didn't make.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 3:39 p.m.

Maybe BYU fans wouldn't be upset if the coaches were realistic.

Quest for Perfection. Then coaches are saying they'll win the national title.

Coaches completely change offense for an option style offense, which BYU is not set up to run. Coaches need to take some responsibility. (They are making big money)

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 3:20 p.m.

Attila the Hun:

I wonder about those who think it is better to get beat to bits five times than to have five bloody noses. I suspect that such individuals fail to acknowledge the true purpose of sport, which would include the development of character and the growth gained from striving against the best.

I saw no poor performance by the Cougars, nor even a hint of mediocrity.

• Ds Red Dragon layton, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 3:16 p.m.

I have always been a fan of both BYU and Utah, until Bronco came to BYU. He is arrogant, and self-centered, and I don;t think he is good for BYU. My personal opinion.

The way Bronco has handled the QB situation the past three years is reason enough for his dismissal. It has been absolutely ludicrous. His infatuation with Riley Nelson has turned him from a coach who has gotten results, to a mediocre coach who has destroyed his program.
    He should go.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 3:14 p.m.

Attila the Hun:

It is very easy to have high performance standards for others. Perhaps critical fans should have high performance standards for themselves? Here are some possibilities:

1. Few fans have coached college football. They lack the expertise and experience to assess coaches or programs. So perhaps they should leave it up to "those who know" to assess BYU's situation.

2. College teams are made up of student-athletes, not professionals. They are amateurs, they play for the love of the game. BYU's teams are made up of outstanding student-athletes willing to live by the honor code. Few make the grade. They deserve the respect of everyone who abides by that code or a similar code. Fans should keep that in mind when being critical of or upset at a player.

3. BYU's coaches are skilled professionals willing to work within the constraints of the honor code. They face the wrath of fans for enforcing that code and recruiting players willing to abide by that code.

4. Real fans don't drag their team or coach through the mud in public. Many BYU fans do exactly that. They make it harder to recruit quality personnel for BYU's programs.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 3:05 p.m.

• loveless center valley, pa
    Dec. 26, 2012 2:58 p.m.

I don't understand this letter in one aspect. We as fans are expecting too much? Seriously? Is it too much to expect a BYU football team to score one touchdown in a bowl game? Is it too much to expect a BYU football team to make an extra point or field goal to beat Boise State and Utah (heck, BYU was given TWO field goal attempts to beat Utah!!) Let's face it, BYU fans are incredibly patient and tolerant of pathetic and disapointing play. What would be nice is to be able to see BYU score a touchdown!! I don't think that is being critical, hostile, mean, nasty, or otherwise making me unworthy! I think it means that there are some issues that Bronco needs to address with the offensive side of his football team.

Good grief, get real!!

• antiphonus Oxford, Oxon
    Dec. 26, 2012 2:54 p.m.

By the way, "sustain"? Aren't you mixing discourses there, Anderson?

• antiphonus Oxford, Oxon
    Dec. 26, 2012 2:54 p.m.

Same familiar fan's screed, different target. While some fans express their discouragement with the coaching staff or certain decisions they've made this year (I won't rehearse the complaints here; Mr Harmon and others do a good job summarizing the discontent), Mr Anderson has decided to turn his withering criticism on the BYU fan base itself.

The fact is that Mendenhall widely advertises the standards and accountability he expects from his players and staff. Two years ago, he sacked his defensive coordinator mid-season (also a non-Mormon; also a good man and good Christian according to many accounts -- though these attributes were questioned within and beyond the program in the aftermath of his firing). That was also a winning season with a bowl victory, so clearly a precedent was set: Mendenhall will call his coaches on the carpet for consistent underachievement. Harmon clearly isn't out of line for urging the HC to be consistent: He should hold his offensive staff to the same rigorous standard he employs with his defensive team. Holmoe and Bronco have both indicated that changes will be made; are they wrong, Anderson?

• Sjense90 SANDY, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 2:51 p.m.

Being critical cannot necessarily be misconstrued as being a fair-weather fan. I agree that many disgruntled fans calling for the collective canning of Mendenhall are out of line.

However, I think we have every right to be critical of an 8-5 record. No matter how many ways you paint it, the injured play of Riley in both the Utah and Boise State games was incontrovertibly a mistake by Coach Mendenhall. Other close losses can be directly attributed to Nelson turnovers (points for the other team) all year. I’m not sure what the solution is, I won’t go as far as to call for heads. But I have every right to be critical of 8-5 when 4 of the 5 losses were decided by less than a touchdown. This team proved they were talented enough to play with some of the best in the country. Wasted potential, poor coaching, and bad decisions were the difference leaving us wondering what might have been. Honest evaluation of this team and its coaching staff, and higher expectations of performance based on what we all know they could have achieved in no way makes us fair-weather fans.

• AttilaTheHun Nephi, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 2:48 p.m.

Dear S.J. Anderson - well congratulations to you that you are so willing to accept a mediocre season. 8-5 with 5 blowout losses would have been preferable than seeing 4 of those losses being so close, and so readily winnable were it not for blind allegiances to an underperforming and injured QB, and poor coaching decisions. BYU fielded the best defense its ever had, and could have easily been 12-1 or 13-0. Being that close to what could have and should have been a magical season, and seeing it turn into something mediocre based solely on coaching decisions, was indeed very tough for us other "lifers" (you ain't the only one pal) to accept and watch. We're to be lectured for having higher performance standards than you? For expecting more from our team than you? Take the sanctimony elsewhere. We love BYU. Enough to get upset at poor performance and totally avoidable mediocrity.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 2:33 p.m.

I soundly agree with this editorial piece.

I love being a BYU fan, through thick or thin, win or loss, I enjoy BYU sports...

... all of them.

And I support the coaches and those that make the decisions at BYU.

Period.

• Brimmer Wheatom, IL
    Dec. 26, 2012 2:31 p.m.

I think Mr. Anderson makes a lot of good points. I support the idea that we owe loyalty to our alma mater. yet if we truly love an organization we also need to have the guts to give it a dispassionate examination. From the out side it appears that the offense at BYU has taken a tailspin the last couple of years. Bronco stepped in when his defense was being badly coached. He has to do something about the offense, or he is not doing his job as a head coach well. Brandon was a decent quarterback coach. Let's get a big name O coach or we may start losing the recruiting wars.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 2:30 p.m.

I concur wholeheartedly to Mr Anderson's commentary. We, as Fans, would do well to adopt that same philosophy. I look forward anxiously to next year's contests. BYU has a very difficult schedule and an 8 - 5 result would be a win - win situation. Any better than that would be frosting on the cake.