Sports

Recent survey confirms BYU has strong national fan base

Comments

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    Jan. 7, 2013 1:57 p.m.

LadyMoon
    Orlando, FL
    As a Utah outsider, I can honestly say BYU is far more popular than that Ute school. Utah is seen as money grubbers, trying to cash in on the PAC-(10 thru 14) conference. Now that they've joined, they clearly have become the PAC equivilent of the old, 'UTEP of the WAC' -- the inconsequential little whipping boys. And with Utah, Arizona and ASU all combined in the PAC, maybe we should call them the "PAC-WAC rejects"!

_______________

If anyone is money grubbing its BYU. Shopping for a conference deal while holding on to their ho hum ratings ESPN contract.

What was it like to be San Jose State's whipping boy this past season?

• LadyMoon Orlando, FL
    Jan. 4, 2013 1:25 p.m.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Dec. 28, 2012 9:30 p.m.

sammyg said:

"Springville, UT
    WAC (USU) Paddled Your Utes

Your point about viewership numbers is pretty lame...
    ... especially when we know you and all the other Ute "fans" watched both bowl games!

LOL"

Ok I will play your game. Let's say they did watch like you say. And if they did not watch, what would the ratings be?
    The Poinsettia Bowl would be even worse!!!

How sad you would need Ute viewers to only get 2.2
    Did any BYU fans watch the game?

LOL!

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Dec. 28, 2012 9:23 p.m.

sammyg finds it hard to accept the truth.
    Get over it, The 2012 Poinsettia Bowl had its lowest ratings the past six years.
    More people watched the USU game. Move along.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Dec. 28, 2012 7:44 p.m.

WAC (USU) Paddled Your Utes

Your point about viewership numbers is pretty lame...

LOL

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    Dec. 28, 2012 1:07 p.m.

32843
    PROVO, UT
    This has to be galling to Ute fans. I mean not only is BYU a national brand and one of the most popular programs in the nation, but it's the most popular team in Utah, too. Ute fans, don't hate us because we're more beautiful than you! LOL!!!

_____________________

LOL! if BYU is so popular then why did the Poinsettia Bowl get such poor ratings?

Poinsettia Bowl 2.2
    Idaho Potato Bowl 2.8

LOL! More people are interested in USU than BYU.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Dec. 27, 2012 3:07 p.m.

"The Poinsettia Bowl had the lowest viewership of all the first week of bowl games, drawing less than the New Mexico, and less than Utah State in the Potato Bowl (gasp!) If you want to draw a respected conclusion, use a scientific survey, not an online one."

"#18 USU got 2.8 million views during its bowl game. BYU got 2.2 million."

The Poinsettia Bowl was the only bowl during the first week of bowl games that took place on a weekday. I'm not going to say that this was the only reason for lower viewership, but it's not really surprising that people on the East coast wouldn't stay up late to watch a game when they had to get up for work the following day, is it?

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    Dec. 27, 2012 11:20 a.m.

Someone please tell me why I should really care about this either way? I grew weary of the "I'm more popular than you are!" debates in middle school. Look, the only way this matters in any tangible way is how it translates to dollars, and that doesn't have any direct effect on me as a fan. ESPN only exists to make money, and they obviosly think the Y is a good partner. That's great for me in that I'll be able to see almost every game, but beyond that, I'm baffled why these "studies" are relevant.

But, I'm sorry to interrupt . . please continue this important, era-defining debate. I can't wait to see which side wins, and thus to determine once and for all if BYU is "Awesome and Beloved" or "Irrelevant and Un-Awesome." Lemme know how that turns out.

• Always 20/20 Gilbert, AZ
    Dec. 27, 2012 9:32 a.m.

The survey I would like to see is the number of comments in the Dnews on BYU articles vs Utah articles. I'll bet it runs 10 to 1 in favor of BYU. Which shows even the Utes read articles about BYU, and of course they just can't resist posting a comment.

• tdlawton Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 2:32 p.m.

It is no surprise that Jeff Call and the Dnews (who owns the Dnews?) pumps out a post-season puff piece about BYU and its future...

It is no surprise that BYU fans (at least the most vocal ones) want to cling to this piece, they will "rally to the flag" if you will.

It is also no surprise that Ute fans roll their eyes and point out results like head-to-head record as well as various polls, season ticket sales, apparel sales, TV ratings, and the like that show that this idea that there are 2 or 3 BYU fans for every UofU fan is nonsense. That is certainly not the case in the SLC metro area.

BYU fans and their media shills go out and find strange internet polls.

BYU fans like to talk as if Utah has had or is about to have some sort of Crowton-esque collapse... Funny enough Utah has has a sell out every game over the last two years despite whatever the ups and downs on the field have been. Maybe a collapse of Ute fan support for the is coming, but it certainly has not arrived yet, has it?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 1:05 p.m.

LOL! at the utah "fans", and a couple of aggie "fans" desperation and insecurity over this article. To quote one of the more pitiful utah "fans" around here "how frantic and emotional" of all of you, LOL! Love it!

Oh and for the utah "fans" that say BYU's popularity is because of the LDS church....duh. Of course it is. You realize people become fans of schools because they feel some sort of affiliation with that school. For instance many utah "fans" are fans simply because they live in the salt lake valley. No other reason, it isn't because they are "likeable" as one utah "fan" said about BYU, it is simply because they live here and utah is here. Most Texas fans are Texas fans because they are from Texas. Ditto every other school in the country.

What makes BYU unique is that their fans are ALL OVER the country. Their reason for being fans is of no consequence, all that matters is that they are fans.

Thanks for giving me another reason to laugh at you utah "fans"!

LOL!

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 9:06 a.m.

Well of course BYU has the larger fanbase, it's the only D1 football LDS school in the nation when 1.7% of the US population is LDS. The study is not anything that should surprise anyone and previous studies have already shown a 2:1 ratio of BYU to Utah fans. Utah and Utah State basically have their fanbases limited to alumni. BYU would be the same if it didn't have this niche role.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Dec. 25, 2012 12:28 p.m.

Two For Flinching said:

"@ toosmartforyou

-"UTAH has the smallest stadium (tied) in the PAC 12."

Wrong. Wazzu has the smallest with 33,000 seats.

-""When you have a REAL program, you'll have fans attending the games in mass numbers. Last year when I attended the BYU-Texas game Texas fans said there were more BYU fans in the stadium in Austin than Oklahoma fans when they play them."

You are not telling the truth. Texas and OU haven't played in Austin since 1923. They play every year in Dallas in the Cotton Bowl and the seats are split 50/50 between the two schools. Which means there are 45,000+ Oklahoma fans in attendance every single year. Whoops. I don't think REAL programs have to lie about attendance numbers.....""

Correct about WSU. They are going up to 42-45 thousand after the next round of renovations.

The Red River Rivalry between OU & TX is held during the Texas State Fair. That game always draws many OU fans. Games are always sold out. Those are REAL programs. BYU just masquerades as one.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Dec. 25, 2012 12:12 p.m.

toosmartforyou said:

"@ Hank Pank

Find another PAC 12 Team that hangs hundreds of banners around town proclaiming their conference membership the way the Utes have done the past two years. It smacks of insecurity and over-compensation. But that's ok---some of us recognize it for what it is.

You're entitled to feel that the PAC 12 is better than sliced bread. (Really, it's ok.) I expect Gary Anderson to coach in the Rose Bowl before Kyle Whittingham. Utah will follow Arizona in that regard."

OSU hangs banners in Corvallis, Cal in Berkley, UW in Seattle, all with school & PAC 12 logos on them. Both UW & WSU fly a giant flag on the Space Needle.

You're entitled to feel that Independence is better than sliced bread. (Really, it's ok.) I expect Gary Anderson to coach in the Rose Bowl before BCS busting BYU & Bronco. BYU will follow Idaho in that regard."

• Footballjoe South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 25, 2012 8:55 a.m.

Sometimes the pocket book is a real indication of fan support.

The Collegiate Licensing Company, which reports royalty rankings for college merchandise sold for the year ended June 30, 2012 listed the following rankings with surprising results.

The University of Texas at Austin was lst. Boise State was 37th. The University of Utah was 41st. BYU was 52nd.

Both the U and BYU look good, but the one that is quite amazing is Boise State. As a public school with a smaller alumni base, BSU actually has a much bigger national fan base than generally credited, and it didn’t get the ranking by selling all of its merchandise to the 600,000 metro Boise population. Quite impressive!

• Footballjoe South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 25, 2012 5:34 a.m.

Sometimes the pocket book is a real indication of fan support. Note the following information:

ATLANTA, Ga., (July 31, 2012) –The Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC), a division of IMG College, today announced its annual list of top-selling institutions and manufacturers. These rankings represent royalties reported July 1, 2011 through June 30, 2012 on all collegiate merchandise sold on behalf of CLC-represented institutions.

1. University of Texas at Austin
    37. Boise State University
    41. University of Utah
    52. Brigham Young University

Both the U and BYU look good, but the one that stands out is Boise State. As a smaller public school, BSU actually has a much bigger national following than given credit by the local press. You can find their merchandise all across the country and they obviously didn’t get their ranking by selling all of its merchandise to the 600,000 metro Boise population. By the way, the royalties from the sales all go to fund student scholarships. Quite impressive!

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 25, 2012 2:29 a.m.

@ toosmartforyou

-"UTAH has the smallest stadium (tied) in the PAC 12."

Wrong. Wazzu has the smallest with 33,000 seats.

-"When you have a REAL program, you'll have fans attending the games in mass numbers. Last year when I attended the BYU-Texas game Texas fans said there were more BYU fans in the stadium in Austin than Oklahoma fans when they play them."

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Dec. 25, 2012 12:33 a.m.

@ Hank Pank

Nice try. One has to love your out-of-context interpretation.

The comment had nothing to do with s teams past successes (National Championship vs Two BCS Wins) but has to do with feeling the need to justify themselves being in a particular conference. Everyone knows that Utah was #12 of 12 in the PAC 12 and that if the Big 12 had imploded, as Larry tried to get them to do, the PAC 12 would be the PAC 16 WITHOUT Utah. When you're feelinbg smug about it I suggest you just remember that Colorado (your new rival) was #11 of 12.

• Ben H Clearfield, UT
    Dec. 25, 2012 12:27 a.m.

Cougar fans must be thrilled. It would be great if this was a scientific survey. I am certain that ESPN did not use it to justify their faith in BYU, but used actual Nielsen rating data. That is what BYU fans should be thrilled about.

• Bleed Crimson Sandy, Utah
    Dec. 24, 2012 10:59 p.m.

"Here in Vancouver when I mention BYU to someone, they always say "Go Cougars" (and not the WAZZU kind)!"

Oh so you mean the Houston kind!

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 10:48 p.m.

@Why would I?

BYU's larger fan base is due to the LDS Church. Nobody is disputing that, except, ironically, BYU fans, who think that it is due to BYU just being much more likable and successful around the country regardless of the LDS affiliation.

Again, BYU's fan base is the loyalty of the LDS members. Nothing more. Nothing less. I am active LDS myself, so it doesn't bother me. But facts are facts.

I do think it is rather funny, illogical, and rather pointless, to argue with Utes fans when you have been beaten by the Utes 4 out of the last 5 times. And, again, the loyalty to the LDS Church is the reason for the larger fan base. Trust me, it has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with BYU being so much more likable, successful, or whatever.

Sorry, that's the way it is.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 5:27 p.m.

re: toosmartforyou 12/24 @ 15:07 p.m.

**...no ohter conference school feels the need to "justify" themselves to such a point.**

Like bringing up 1984 ad naseum ad infinitum, perhaps?

• Smart Aleck Vancouver, WA
    Dec. 24, 2012 5:08 p.m.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 5:07 p.m.

@ Y Grad / Y Dad 12:02 p.m. Dec. 24, 2012

"And yet, here you are, again, on your rival's board, declaiming anything positive. Most teams, and their fans, would be content to beat their rival and then move on. U, though, had nothing to move on to."

Semantics are funny, but, this a story about byu on the DN's website. Your claim only holds validity if the domain were owned exclusively by byu and/or their athletic dept.

"we here at the Y have our few obnoxious fans"

Few? There is an understatement.

• Why would I? Farmington, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 4:38 p.m.

Utes Fan

toosmart's posts make sense, if you bother to get the facts, at least regardig the size of the stadium.

Why would I think maybe Larry was blind-sided when he thought Colorado residents, who love the Nuggetts, Broncos and Rockies, and Utah residents, who love the Jazz and the Cougars, would produce a big TV market for the PAC 12? It was juast wishful thinking on his part, but isn't anywhere close to being the truth.

Sorry, that's the way it is.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Dec. 24, 2012 4:34 p.m.

Here in Spokane when I mention BYU to someone, they always say "BY Who?"

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 4:14 p.m.

@The A Game

Your comments are the only ones that have any sense or intelligence at all here.

Seems that logic and reason are sorely lacking here.

• morganh Orem, Utah
    Dec. 24, 2012 3:47 p.m.

The survey and ESPN's Joe Shad sum things up best. I know its painful for the Utah trolls, but B.Y.U. has a national fan base thanks to Lavell who put them on the map. ESPN knows it and that is why they signed the deal with B.Y.U. So I guess B.Y.U. is not that irrelevant after all.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 3:07 p.m.

I'm certain that if we count the number of banners hanging from light poles in SLC then Utah is indeed the PAC 12 champion, as no ohter conference school feels the need to "justify" themselves to such a point.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 2:52 p.m.

Something everyone seemed to either ignore, discount or forget is the capacity of the home stadiums and the over-all attendance figures for a completed season.

USU couldn't get 18,000 fans into their stadium for each of the last 3 games this season when they had the best record in the school's history.

UTAH has the smallest stadium (tied) in the PAC 12.

BYU consistently has more fans, yes---even when Crowton was flushing the program, by the thousands at each home game that the Ute stadium even holds.

It's OK to repeat the 8 - 3 record the last 11 games, Ute fans, and the 54 - 10 blow-out in Provo, and your two BCS victories, but over time your program is currently regressing. The PAC 12 is more than you can handle and historically you have no Heisman Winner, no National Championship, far fewer fans and trail BYU in MWC Crowns. Some program......

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Dec. 24, 2012 2:44 p.m.

Worf, I could see that - having a recently had a conversation at an Uptown sports bar (Frankie's) I had someone describe Utah as "the blue and white Mormon school that used to put out lots of QB's right?"

I really wish my cousin (the only Utah grad I've ever met) had been around for that...

• VAggie Bristow, United States
    Dec. 24, 2012 2:38 p.m.

Byu has also been ranked as one of the more disliked teams. This years game was my first pleasant trip to Provo. But I've also had plenty of experiences that were "other than pleasant"

• The A Game Sandy, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 2:12 p.m.

Bro, chill out. See, I can act like I'm cool too. So I'm being negative by saying that Utah beat BYU, huh? I think you take offense very easily, bro. And you apparently need to read other articles, bro. Utah State was named the best team in the state, bro. Maybe if you could read, you would get it bro. Like I said, I don't discount BYU's win against them. So you shouldn't discount Utah's win either bro. I'm not "hyping" anything, just stating that a bigger fan base doesn't make a better team. I didn't know that such a simple concept was so difficult to understand. And just so we're clear, you're saying that just because I'm an Aggie fan commenting on a BYU article that I'm trolling? Sounds to me like somebody is trying to act younger than their age by using hip terms, bro.

• COUGARNATE Lyman, WY
    Dec. 24, 2012 1:42 p.m.

I'll stand by my opinion there are very few real Utes fans, mostly just BYU haters.

• COUGARNATE Lyman, WY
    Dec. 24, 2012 1:38 p.m.

All these Utes fans are talking about when was the last time a BYU team had a big win, well when was the last time Utah won a big game besides BYU? Alabama five years ago. Utah will never win another conference title, just like Arizona, after they left the WAC in the 70's, in fact Utah didn't win as many MWC titles as BYU did.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 24, 2012 1:26 p.m.

The A Game
    Sandy, UT

Thanks for the perspective, bro. So you are worse than a Ute troll, you are an Aggie troll, hyping the Utah victory because they accomplished what the Aggies could not - beat BYU.

So the other "fact", bro, is indeed that Utah State is the best team in the state of Utah, except that BYU beat them.

Actually, I have no beef against Utah State. Sorry about your coach, but I think he left things in a condition that a good new coach should be able to build upon this years' success. If you read your own boards when you aren't trolling, you will acknowledge that I have spoken very highly of all things football and Utah State.

But, if, by chance, the other Blue team slips back to mediocrity, I will be pleased to remember you.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Dec. 24, 2012 1:19 p.m.

FAN - 2.) A person who has a strong interest in a particular sport.

Seems to me there are a lot of Utes and Aggies who are really fans of BYU based on the above definition.

• Jim1027 St. George, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 1:15 p.m.

How did Utah do in the Pac12 this year?

How did they do in their bowl game?

How many games did they play on ESPN or high-ranking networks?

• Dave S Holladay, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 12:59 p.m.

Does anyone know who Jabari Parker voted for? Just curious?

• The A Game Sandy, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 12:50 p.m.

Y Dad,

I guess some thing's don't change. I think you should read before you comment. So do yourself a favor and scroll up a bit where I clearly say I'm not a Ute fan. And just so you understand the meaning of trolling, saying Utah beat BYU is not trolling. It's just a fact bro. I don't discount BYU's win over Utah State (who I root for since you apparently haven't understood that yet) even though Utah State was named the best team in Utah. Those are facts too. No need to overreact. But claiming Utah is "little brother" to BYU based on fan base is pretty silly in my opinion. But what do we non-BYU fans know about sports, right?

• sls Columbia, MO
    Dec. 24, 2012 12:36 p.m.

Do we really need a survey to know this? BYU draws its base of students from around the country and its graduates settle in places around the country. Utah and Utah State are really just commuter schools.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Dec. 24, 2012 12:27 p.m.

As the LDS Church continues to expand outside the intermountain west, BYU fandom will grow. The recent election and focus on Mormon candidates and the dozens of articles around the world greatly increased exposure. BYU's long bowl history has increased awareness and a established a degree of respect. So BYU is a good gamble for ESPN.

I like independence and the freedom to play around the country. I loved going to Ole Miss and had a great time with the thousands of other BYU fans who enjoyed the fantastic Southern hospitality in the Grove. Not so much in San Diego as the local papers blame every loss to BYU on (1) officials, (2) player age and maturity. So while we have fun in far venues, it doesn't mean that we're loved by everyone. But we are recognized and usually respected. And hated by BYU's many victims.

University of Utah? Who cares? Nobody cares about Utah anymore than, say, Iowa, or Mississippi State. They've heard the name - that's about it. For a couple million Mormons? They care about BYU. Big time.

• Mick Murray, Utah
    Dec. 24, 2012 12:17 p.m.

0-12

Just a reminder to all the ute fans of their basketball record against BYU for the last 12 games. Or I can include 13 games, 1-13. Or do you all stop watching sports after football is over. If so, sorry your sports season was so short this year.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Dec. 24, 2012 12:16 p.m.

I've lived in Dallas for 20 years. No one mentions Utah football, unless it's to in a discussion about Urban Meyer. If there's a mention of the state and football, the next thing out of their mouth is a question about BYU, and it's either about history of the QBs or the honor code... For a non-Rockies state, there are comparatively a fair number of LDS people in Texas around big cities. 18-20 stakes in metro Dallas/Ft.Worth alone.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 24, 2012 12:02 p.m.

The A Game
    Sandy, UT
    Mussing With U,

"Yeah I'm sure a lot of Utah fans are "jealous" that they beat your team this year, yet again."

I do assume that if and when there is anything positive to say about Utah football, we here at the Y have our few obnoxious fans that have to be there to try to put it down. I really don't know, because I don't have the interest or time to go to a Utah story unless congratulations are in order.

But seriously, isn't it embarrasing to be in the same class as the BYU fans that troll YOUR articles?

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Dec. 24, 2012 11:58 a.m.

WalMart is a popular brand peddling inferior products. Just like Cougar football!

#3 team in the Pacific Northwest? No way!
    UW, WSU, UO & OSU all have more fans up here than BYU. In addition, there are more ND & USC fans up here than BYU fans. What a joke. Do a real poll. Numbers work against BYU based on members of the church anyway. They are outnumbered up here.

Interesting to read the posts here. It's more important to be popular (allegedly) than actually compete on the field. No wonder so many BYU fans are happy with an 8-5 season. I bet some of them here participated and clicked the survey several times.

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 11:53 a.m.

People like us. I knew it!

Go Cougars Baby!!!

• Fed Employee Lehi, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 11:28 a.m.

Is there really an argument here from what seem to be Utah fans talking about meaningless bowl games? So often I see on these boards people gloating about Utah's bowl record in comparison to BYU's. Yes, BYU has a losing record in bowl games and Utah has a winning record and had a long bowl game winning streak. What people forget to point out it that the majority of BYU's bowl games were when not many teams went to bowl games and the quality of bowl opponents were normally of a higher caliber. Utah's however happened in the era of "everyone gets a trophy for playing the season." Of that bowl streak they had going only 2 were more than a participation award.

• Justmythoughts Provo, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 11:21 a.m.

Enough already....most of the postings are from Ute fans who are anti-Mormon bigots or BYU fans who think all Utah fans are drunks and are a little self righteous. This is why I won't miss the rivalry game.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Dec. 24, 2012 11:10 a.m.

Don't be bitter Ute Fans, after all, you're in a really big conference. People everywhere want to see the Cougars, if only to pull for their opponents. Now that we do not play confeence games, the fans treat us great where ever we go. Even better, next year we won't have Riley so good things might happen..unless of course Bronco finds a new pet that can't play but really likes to be around the head coach all the time.

• Mesa Coug Phoenix, AZ
    Dec. 24, 2012 10:48 a.m.

Hey student,

You cannot really compare ratings of a Saturday game to a Thursday night game. Lets see what ratings this Thursdays games produce and them maybe we can have a conversation. Still in the end BYU was in a bowl game that they had to secure on their own without the benefit of conference affiliation. All in all, I am happy with their bowl situation and expect it to improve going forward.

• RobSing Minneapolis, MN
    Dec. 24, 2012 10:36 a.m.

worf
    Mcallen, TX

Here in Texas, when some one says Utah football,---it's BYU they think about with Utah State a distant second.

_____________________________

Well in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois, when someone says Utah football,---they say, "Go Utes." And I think we can all agree in Wisconsin, Utah State has gained some recognition.

• Hemlock Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 10:31 a.m.

It's the sign of a weak and terribly damaged ego to hate another's success.

• The A Game Sandy, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 10:26 a.m.

Rockwell,

Now that I'm laughing harder than I was before reading your comment, I just wanted to let you know that I'm not a Ute fan. See the screen name? The A game, as in Aggies. However, I have nothing wrong with pointing out illogical statements regarding BYU vs. Utah. Yep BYU went bowling, yep they won. And Utah played BYU, and Utah won. Would you not say the same about Utah State vs. BYU? Utah State ended up top 20, BYU didn't come close, but BYU beat Utah State. Are you jealous of Utah State then? Are you beginning to understand now? If I was a Ute fan, trust me, I would not be jealous.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Dec. 24, 2012 10:23 a.m.

What a great Christmas gift! Love it! Let's keep growing, can't wait for games next year in South Bend and Madison. Go Cougars. Thanks ESPN for the boost to Independence.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 10:03 a.m.

Thanks DNews for a boost after a tough season.

• Student Logan, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 10:03 a.m.

#18 USU got 2.8 million views during its bowl game. BYU got 2.2 million. Where's the LDS/Deseret News writer who said USU would never get better tv ratings during a bowl? Is he going to eat crow? I doubt it -- especially since the same organization that owns this publication also owns the school he likely went to.

• Hemlock Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 9:59 a.m.

Who are you sir? BYU fans seem to have an identity that does not require plastering their vehicles and license plates with multiple PAC 12 and Ute logos. It's rather high school to this Utah alumnus.

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    Dec. 24, 2012 9:58 a.m.

The A Game

Don't kid yourself.

We all know Utah fans are EXTREMELY jealous that BYU finished in the Top 25 last season, while Utah didn't get a single vote in either poll, and that Utah fans are even more jealous that BYU won a bowl game this year, while the Utes didn't even sniff a bowl, except for the couch potato bowl.

BYU beat TWO conference champions and a BCS conference division winner. Who did U beat?

Ya, we know.

Now you're beginning to understand.

Even in losing, BYU provided Utah's ONLY relevant wins since joining the PAC.

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 9:50 a.m.

Teleste: in what sport? Basketball? Womens soccer or volleyball? track & field? baseball? you've had a nice 10 year run in football, but that will soon enough change. Utah is and always has been a nice one sport school. Right now its football. It used to be basketball.

• hymn to the silent Holladay, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 9:45 a.m.

So let me get this straight...In a down season, Jeff Call is looking for something to feel good about....How about a popularity contest! Not a win loss record the way athletics are actually measured, but some kind of self-esteem trophy everybody gets for participating. And who is surprised by this survey? Nobody who understands that it was focused on high concentration areas of LDS in the Country...and is it news? Of course not. LDS love to support BYU, and whatever other schools they attend. That's terrific. It's a good school, and LDS should be proud of it...and there's a lot of LDS, and the world is looking at them right now...And who becomes the voice of BYU fandom? Oh boy, SammyG. Embarrassing. With great exposure comes great responsibility. If the fans would only step up and be as classy as say Air Force, or Notre Dame; then the world would grant the school a little more respect. (and yes, I have been to a lot of games at both those places and the fans are impressive) To BYU Fans: remember who you are and what you represent.

• Flames6 North Salt Lake, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 9:38 a.m.

Don't hate us because we promote self relevance. Gotta feel good about yourself, right?

• The A Game Sandy, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 9:32 a.m.

Mussing With U,

Yeah I'm sure a lot of Utah fans are "jealous" that they beat your team this year, yet again. It doesn't really matter what points you bring up, BYU still lost to Utah. I'd like to see you change that fact.

• TheNun Granstville, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 9:31 a.m.

Some people are also mistakenly thinking "voters" are byu alumni. As I stated, that is simply not the case. The response to the survey was from members of the LDS church, not from byu alumnus scattered around the U.S.

Many, byu fans outside of Utah, don't even know where Provo is, let alone can claim they have ever set foot on the campus of byu. They are "fans" of the LDS church, so therefore, fans of byu. That is a distinction that must be clarified.

• RedBlood Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 9:19 a.m.

OK...so BYU is beloved in the state of Utah (surprise surprise), and has a pretty decent national following. Great. But why is it that most BYU fans I speak to seem to be pretty disappointed in how things are going and are not thrilled with their coach, current direction, and the liklihood of a BCS bowl game or a (legitimate)national championship? Yet, when I speak to most Ute fans they had a pretty good time, all things considered, last year as USC and other national programs CAME TO UTAH for games. Get excited about independence, popularity, etc. - ultimately these statistics do not translate to wins or trips to BCS games. I've said it time and time again - I would much rather have some down years, with an occasional undefeated season and trip to a BCS game than consistent meaningless 8-10 win seasons capped with a boring win over SDSU. 6-3 half time score? Really? I guess Lark wasn't all everyone thought he was cracked up to be.

Get over yourselves BYU fans. Enjoy your mediocrity and meaningless bowl games. Don't get too excited about silly polls like this. 8 of 11 folks. 8 of 11.

• Old Scarecrow Brigham City, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 9:14 a.m.

From junk geek: "I'd like to see a survey that . . . used a solid methodology, and excluded BYU graduates."

Say what? Sounds like a Texas A&M grad school project!

• MUSSing with U Baltimore, MD
    Dec. 24, 2012 8:45 a.m.

Poor jealous Uties. Always pounding their chests about beating an "irrelevant former rival."

The truth is, one game does not a season make and our jealous little brothers just can't get over the fact the overall records and higher rankings always truth head-to-head matchups.

Since BYU became Independent and Utah joined the PAC

2011
    BYU - Top 25, 10-3
    Utah - unranked, 8-5

2012
    BYU - 8-5, bowl winner
    Utah - 5-7, no bowl

Overall
    BYU 18-8
    Utah 13-12

BYU = well-respected national brand
    Utah = fading local brand

• Old Scarecrow Brigham City, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 8:41 a.m.

Polls tell us a little. Checks from ESPN tell us a lot. BYU hasn't caved on independence and isn't likely to as long as they are getting five or six big national or regional games each season. As far as merchandise sales in Utah go, those with an inferiority complex always try to over-compensate.

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    Dec. 24, 2012 8:38 a.m.

This is a pretty damaging study, actually. #5 in the DFW market, a market with little interest in college football outside Texas, A&M, and Oklahoma (and even or Texas Tech)? #2 in Tucson? What, did you expect to be #1? All this shows is that BYU has some alumni spread out over the landscape -- not that it has a following. (I guarantee that if BYU and Texas were playing at the same time on separate channels in DFW, the BYU ratings would so far below Texas' that you couldn't even see them.)

I'd like to see a survey that wasn't self-selecting (web surveys are usually dismissed out-of-hand), used a solid methodology, and excluded BYU graduates. That'd be the real sign of BYU's national following, if it existed.

• androol Queen Creek, AZ
    Dec. 24, 2012 8:08 a.m.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 24, 2012 8:08 a.m.

@Mountanman

Lucky for you that you can find Utah vs BYU games. I hope you enjoyed the the games as much as I did. Specially the the last quarter when the Muss tried to give the game away, and you still couldn't beat a bad Utah team.

• Fibonacci Centerville, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 8:00 a.m.

Interesting to contemplate the discussion about Utah versus BYU gear. If you have a "U" on your car is says "I support a secular university football team but I am saying nothing about my values, beliefs, religion, etc." If you have a "Y" on your car I think most people would agree that a person is projecting a little more than simply support for a football team. I know a lot of folks that are cougar fans but given how polarized Utah is about religion, just don't want to go down that path. I also know a lot of folks who use their support for the Utes (and contempt for BYU) as a metaphor for their hatred of mormons or the LDS church.

• TheNun Granstville, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 7:59 a.m.

Wow, talk about a slow news day. The fact this article is printed as "news" is amazing. With the LDS church having members living in these areas, and many of them "voting" for byu as their favorite team, and then reporting it as "news", is a new twist on an old tale.

I'll bet the same "survey" could reveal most "voters" are repuplican, women don't wear pants to church and list green jello, with shredded carrots, as a favorite food item. Also, I'll bet in mqny of these places the local ward basketball team would be listed ahead of Utah, Utah State, or Weber State as a favorite team, so what is the relevence.

That is the laughable part. The cougar nation mistakenly believes exposure means relevence. Just because members of the lds church vote for byu as a favorite team, or the games are on espn, doesn't make it any more relevent, or surprising, than the catholics listing Notre Dame as their favorite team.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 7:58 a.m.

Biggest and most smartest fanbase in the USA.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Dec. 24, 2012 7:56 a.m.

Oh and by the way, I remember watching the Utah/BYU game on TV (the only Utah game I could find on national TV all season) and what did the entire nation see at the end of the game? Ute fans storming on to the field before time expired and then caught on camera and broadcast for the entire nation to see, a drunk Ute,cursing out Bronco Mendenhall as he walked off the field! Embarrassing!

• SavageUte SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 7:32 a.m.

From the Common Consensus Sports Survey, "Important: this map is highly inaccurate and should be understood only as a demonstration, and not as any kind of reliable data yet."
    Jeff Call should be embarrassed to publish such subjective material. Just read his bio and you will know why he wrote this piece.

• Y's Guy Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 7:06 a.m.

Who am I sir?
    Cottonwood Heights, UT
    I do know Utah license plates outnumber Y plates by something like 3:1

IF true, that's just a measure of arrogance. Or, proves how easy it is to get into the U.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Dec. 24, 2012 7:00 a.m.

I would have enjoyed watching a few Utah football games on TV but every time I looked for a Utah game on TV, all I could find was BYU games. I enjoyed watching the Poinsettia Bowl very much, especially the last quarter. Couldn't find Utah in a bowl game though for some reason.

• Silent Lurker Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 6:46 a.m.

I once had a statistics class that on the first day the professor gave us the following example: If you put one foot in a bucket of ice water and the other in a bucket of boiling water statically you would be just right, and then he added, but we all know this is not truly the case. The key statement in this article was "not scientific". No doubt that BYU has a popular fan base here in Utah among the LDS faithful and in some other areas with a large concentrations of the LDS membership. Then a lot depends on how you define "National", is it two percent or .0002 percent of the public. Until you scientifically define your terms, to say it is a national brand may be just as much a stretch of the stats as my professors example above.

• teleste Austin, TX
    Dec. 24, 2012 6:44 a.m.

Let BYU be popular.

They. Still. Can't. Beat. Utah.

• JonnyDanger HOUSTON, TX
    Dec. 24, 2012 6:09 a.m.

Ok admit it-how many people went to the website to see if you could click on YOUR team multiple times? I know I did :)

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 24, 2012 5:39 a.m.

Benhur

First, cool screen name.

Pretty sure this is a survey of what is, not what was. Not in denial; fan loyalty rises and falls with success on the field. Trust me, I used to be a Mariners and Seahawks fan.

But I think the present level of fan-dom must have a higher degree of patience for the success you are missing. Or perhaps they (we) have a greater number of measures of success, such as "BYU accomplished all this with a bunch of returned missionaries."

Whatever the reason, I think most fans are willing to cut the team, and the coach, a higher degree of slack than you indicate. And it's okay, some fans come and go, and come again. If you need a mental health time-out, again, I understand.

And yes, loyal Ute fans, I understand this survey may not have a degree of statistical validity that pleases you. But for what it's worth, I wasn't contacted, nor did I search it out and vote once, let alone multiple times.

Just sayin'.

• AKFan JUNEAU, AK
    Dec. 24, 2012 1:16 a.m.

I know, stubborn important facts such as beating the WAC champions, who defeated Utah, beating the Mountain West Co-champions in a bowl game, and oh yeah, getting to go to a bowl game and winning it, and oh yeah, having a winning season. It must suck to be a Ute fan when you have to look at BYU whom you constantly deride as a rare quality win in a rather disappointing season, and then console yourself by trolling on a cougar thread to make the same tired jabs.

Important facts indeed.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 24, 2012 1:11 a.m.

worf
    Mcallen, TX

-----------

Not if you're a Texas football recruit, current roster's with Texas players:

Utah 17
    BYU 5
    Utah State 3

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Dec. 24, 2012 12:46 a.m.

Well, we all know there are many "fair weather" fans, so how great will BYU's support be when they have a great season!

"Who Am I Sir" - Yes, Utah is ahead of BYU in merchandising, but CLC, who tracks college merchandising doesn't release the dollar amounts, so for all we know Utah sold $100 more than BYU in the last fiscal year. Kind of a meaningless statistic without more info. I'm sure we can find meaningless statistics to prove anything, but BYU's national support is real and it seems unlikely Utah will ever have that. That national support is why BYU can make independence work and Utah would not be able to!

I'm really beginning to like independence, I know it is a scheduling problem and I don't like the inconvenient game times, but how cool is it that only five teams had more TV exposure this year than BYU and BYU got to play Notre Dame! I would rather play Notre Dame once every three years than play Utah every year!

• Benhur Everett, WA
    Dec. 23, 2012 11:51 p.m.

I used to be a rabid BYU football fan. It has been too many years since they've had anything to get excited about. The 80's are ancient history. Nothing on the horizon except mediocrity. Don't think the "strong national fan base" likes to be be embarrassed regularly on national TV. Probably a lot of those fans (like me) are ready to move on to other interests, or other more entertaining teams(even Mormons).

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Dec. 23, 2012 11:17 p.m.

The exposure for the church is nice. However, it would be nice if BYU could actually win a big game sometime. The last one I can think of is OU a few years back and that was because the QB got knocked out of the game. BYU football seems like a shadow of its former self. It is down right boring to watch now. Lose to the ones you are supposed to lose to and win the ones you are supposed to win (sometimes just barely.) There is really not a whole lot on the horizon for BYU in terms of upsetting anyone.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Dec. 23, 2012 10:57 p.m.

Vast national fan base... Utah popularity...

Yet no major conference in the country will touch BYU with a ten foot pole.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 23, 2012 10:29 p.m.

P.P.S. Mormons also can cheer for the U of U. It is actually possible.....They must have played fair though and only pressed the button once

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 23, 2012 10:29 p.m.

Was the survey very scientific? No. But is anyone actually blind enough to believe that only "Mormons hit the vote key multiple times?" (CalNative) Is there some sort of propensity that Mormons have to voting multiple times that other religions do not? This is indeed a very big news event CalNative! Mormons alone have the ability to vote multiple times! I never knew. I am sure that a few pagans in [insert state] hit the vote button multiple times for the school they support. P.S. lots of surveys allow multiple votes.....eg Davey O'Brian award.....There must have been a lot of Mormons using that exclusive multiple voting ability they have in 81,83,90,91.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 23, 2012 10:17 p.m.

I don't remember voting! I don't believe I was asked?.... It shows you can find some statistics to prove anything. I do know Utah license plates outnumber Y plates by something like 3:1. I also know that Utah merchandise sales was something like 10 spots ahead of BYU. Perhaps these results are not contradictory? Perhaps there are more cougar fans yet Utah fans support their team by spending money. (Remember LaVells famous quote about the $20 bill and the word of wisdom while attending the Las Vegas bowl.)

I hope fans of both schools are happy and proud of their teams standing in the athletic community. I know I am - PAC-12!

• rafinsure Elk Grove/U.S.A., 00
    Dec. 23, 2012 10:02 p.m.

I have a great deal of respect for the other football programs in Utah. However, they will always just have a regional fan base being that they are state universities that serve mainly in state students. The compilation of wins doesn't equate to lack of popularity. Notre Dame kept its national fan base even through its decade or more of lousy teams. Therefore, BYU will ride out its current rough patch.I have no doubt that the University of Utah's football team will improve over time in the PAC 12. However, BYU will always lead the Utes and other teams in the state of Utah in national exposure and popularity.

• I Bleed Blue Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 23, 2012 10:01 p.m.

Wow, I am shocked Chris B. has not weighed in on this one yet. No bowl game and now this. Maybe the Mayans may have had it right for a lot of Ute fans. This has to feel like the end of the world.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Dec. 23, 2012 9:52 p.m.

• ParkCityAggie Park City, Ut
    Dec. 23, 2012 9:47 p.m.

BARF! Cougar fans also rated the most obnoxious fans in college sports, no to proud of that one are we? "Our QB (regardless of who it is) is going to be a Heisman candidate" how often do we hear that? Oh yea, every year at the beginning of the season!

• spokaloo Adin, CA
    Dec. 23, 2012 9:43 p.m.

Unfortunately having a larger fan base hasn't translating to beating crappy Utah teams.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Dec. 23, 2012 9:34 p.m.

Ho, ho, ho!

Can't wait to see the 'official response' by multiple messengers on this one!

Merry Christmas Utes.

BYU fans knew this all along. Now it's official!

LOL

• The A Game Sandy, UT
    Dec. 23, 2012 9:33 p.m.

32843,

Yet BYU lost to Utah this year.....again. Too bad all of those fans don't change the real facts that actually matter. LOL!!!

• CalNative Long Beach, CA
    Dec. 23, 2012 9:10 p.m.

Most bogus survey ever, non scientific, allowed multiple votes. That it is even featured as some journalistic news with Mormons hitting the vote key multiple times is idiotic.

• 32843 PROVO, UT