Sports

BYU football: Kyle Van Noy scores 2 touchdowns to lead BYU to victory in Poinsettia Bowl (+video)

Comments

• OmahaCoug Omaha, NE
    Dec. 22, 2012 9:03 p.m.

Riley Stephenson deservedly has received a lot of credit for a phenomenal punting performance. But what hasn't been said much is that every time a punt was downed inside the 5-yard line, there was Number 9, Daniel Sorensen, in position to finish the job. Great hustle!

• EJB BLANDING, UT
    Dec. 22, 2012 8:58 a.m.

I for one would like to see Van Noy and other juniors play another year at the Y. He is having fun playing and dominating the game he loves at the college level. The next level is work and seldom do you see a player dominate. It moves beyond a game. I completely understand the opportunity, but I also think enjoying the game and having fun is an incredible opportunity and shoouldn't be passed up for money. They will never have the opportunity to be seniors at BYU again. For someone like Van Noy the NFL will wait.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Dec. 21, 2012 6:21 p.m.

I cannot for the life of me understand the thought process that went into the first comment posted here.

Congrats to the Cougars and all their loyal supporters. You know, the smart ones!

• u mad bro? WVC, UT
    Dec. 21, 2012 5:23 p.m.

Good job Cougars and Aggies on their wins!!! Way to represent the state of Utah......the utes on the other hand...

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 21, 2012 4:22 p.m.

Edit: Rocky Long

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 21, 2012 4:20 p.m.

Great win by BYU. It's never a bad thing to tuck away a bowl victory.

I think Rocky Anderson showed why he will never progress past the MWC. I don't understand why a coach would pull his starter, who is on pace for 150 yards, to just run into the teeth of BYU's D with a second string guy.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Dec. 21, 2012 3:51 p.m.

Great game!

If it hadn't been for Bronco and his defense, BYU would have lost.

If it hadn't been for Bronco and his Offense, BYU would have won most of its games this year.

If Lark had gotten the reps and plays the past two years, BYU's offense would have been stellar this year, and Notre Dame would NOT be going to the National Championship.

Lark stood wonderfully in the pocket a midst major blitzing pressure the entire game. I can only imagine his confidence, his poise, his leadership, his talent, had they developed him instead of Nelson, and played Nelson in the backfield of the defense.

What could have been...what could have been in 2012.

• sly_spy Oceanside, CA
    Dec. 21, 2012 2:10 p.m.

There is a former Heisman Trophy winner out in Texas who may know a thing or two about coordinating a BYU offense. Has this been explored?

• Frankenberry Saint George, UT
    Dec. 21, 2012 2:03 p.m.

All this talk about Riley or James. All we needed was Kyle! Great defensive effort. I kinda felt bad for Coach Long. I thought his players quit on him in the 4th quarter. Great job, Cougs.

• Justmythoughts Provo, UT
    Dec. 21, 2012 12:28 p.m.

Great 4 th quarter thanks to the defense.....interesting year Cougars.. I hate to pile on but I hope they get the offense figured out, they were horrible.

• AZJazzFan Gold Canyon, az
    Dec. 21, 2012 12:04 p.m.

Greatest BYU D I have seen. Worst BYU O I have ever seen.

• BSU BRONCO!! Rigby, ID
    Dec. 21, 2012 12:02 p.m.

Kyle is a studd. This has to be one of the quickest Defenses in the Nation. Just Imagine if BYU had a typical BYU offense to go with this D.

• Alaskan Ute Fairbanks, AK
    Dec. 21, 2012 11:46 a.m.

Van Noy is a special athlete. When you see great athletes at the college level, it is readily apparant, as they stand out against their competitors. He will do well in the NFL. Congrats Cougs.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 21, 2012 11:37 a.m.

Agree with Troy.
    I love Doman, and I want him to stay at BYU, just not as OC. Sure, he had a subpar O-line to deal with but still his play calling was awful most games and especially last night. I really hope we get a new OC with experience and success under his belt. Otherwise we are going to see more of the same on offense next year without as good a defense to bail them out.

I also agree with KauaiBoy. Apo is an underachiever. He is slow and he is lazy with his routes when the play is not called to him. Lacking in heart is probably an accurate description.

Calls for Bronco's head are sheer lunacy. He shows lapses in judgment sometimes, won't admit mistakes, has a disdain for the fans and media, but he is a VERY good defensive coach and good for the BYU Brand.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Dec. 21, 2012 11:24 a.m.

Wait, you mean running the Option 3 times and a WR screen 3 times without gaining a single yard is a bad thing? You'd think we'd learn from the first two times that we wouldnt try for a third. Like they say, third times a charm.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 21, 2012 11:19 a.m.

Troy06

Then all of our offensive woes will be solved. But if next year's offensive line looks like my sister's afghan - full of holes - don't be surprised if the new offens looks a lot like the old one.

• Pack Layton, Utah
    Dec. 21, 2012 11:10 a.m.

At nehu, the offensive line was the main problem with the offense. It didn't matter who was playing QB or RB or WR, the O line struggled all year. You can blame whatever coach you want, or whatever QB you want, but the reality is, if you know ANYTHING about football is that the O line was outmatched in most games all year.

• Troy06 OREM, UT
    Dec. 21, 2012 10:53 a.m.

C'mon Ygraddad. Bronco's d rocks and Brandon's offense stinks! I think you must be related to the coaches.

Doman is still gainfully employeed at BYU, just in a differen role. It's already happened!!

• KauaiBoy NYC, NY
    Dec. 21, 2012 10:32 a.m.

Is it just me, or is Ross Apo going to go down as the laziest player and one of the biggest busts in BYU football history?!
    Having watched him while he was being recruited, and knowing how little effort he showed at camps—he could get away with this because of his physical attributes and natural talent. I wondered if the coaches at BYU would ever be able to coach some heart and desire into him. Watching these past years and last night: that has NOT been accomplished. He gave up on routes, played with alligator arms and continues to get playing time just because of he looks imposing in his football gear.
    There are kids like Apo that are awarded scholarships simply for their hype. Kids like Falslev EARN a scholarship for their hard work, discipline and heart.
    I was in the hallways and on the fields when the BYU coaches collectively ignored kids like Falslev as they kissed-up and played to the kids like Apo and Heaps—both huge busts. Coach Doman was the worst of the offenders--Ignoring many with talent and heart, but lacking hype.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 21, 2012 10:13 a.m.

Well, so now not so much blood lust for Bronco or Riley, but we want Brandon's head on a stick?

Quit it, you are humiliating yourselves and the rest of us. You are so eager to find a scape goat. Watch the game! We HAVE good plays. We DON'T have time for them to develop. Jamaal is a great runner, who got stuffed almost every time tonight. Doesn't matter who the qb is, if the defense lives in your back yard.

Just stop it.

• Down under Pullman, WA
    Dec. 21, 2012 9:58 a.m.

Great game by the defense but the O-line and play calling was as bad as I have seen, EVER.

• Rockarolla West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 21, 2012 9:42 a.m.

Doman must go!

• nehu Kaysville, UT
    Dec. 21, 2012 9:31 a.m.

Ag fan, great game, seemed very similar to the USU bowl game with the exception the Cougs D doing the scoring, all in the 4th quarter, excellent defense. Even though BYU struggled, I'm not ashamed of the loss to BYU, their defense really is that good. Good news for the Aggies that BYU dismantled SDSU and SDSU was representing the MWC, where the Aggies are headed. Like one poster said BYU beat and played with some excellent teams. I think the inconsistencies, such as the loss to SJSU are on Bronco.

Not a Y hater but I do think Bronco has to go. This BYU team may have been the most talented ever and it was squandered on the Aggies old quarterback. Really if you think about it what business does a 2nd string USU quarterback have starting at the Y? Granted Chuckie is a special talent but Riley is not a D-1 quarterback, especially at BYU, where the QB tradition is great. Don't get me wrong I love Riley but I also love my son, doesn't mean he should be starting at the Y's prized position.

The Y defense really was something this year!

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Dec. 21, 2012 9:16 a.m.

I turned the game on at the beginning of the 4th and what an amazing atheletic display that Van Noy put on, the kid is amazing. I hope he sticks around for another year, fun to watch.

Go UTES!!

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Dec. 21, 2012 9:15 a.m.

I thought it was the worst game in history until the fourth quarter. Go Cougars!!!!!!

• Kouger Lehi, UT
    Dec. 21, 2012 9:00 a.m.

Memo to AD Holmoe and to whomever it may concern:
    Please whatever relationship you and BYU have with Doman, sever it/them, for the good of the football program, the school, the players and the FANS! Give Doman his walking papers. Pleaaaase! This is the worst offense BYU has had ... EVER! And it’s not the players. It was a pain watching the BYU offense last night and all season long. Thank you Defense, KVN, Ziggy and others for saving the game.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 21, 2012 8:53 a.m.

I gotta admit, BYU's defense was top-notch this year and in this game. Van Noy and Ansah are just beasts.

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    Dec. 21, 2012 8:44 a.m.

Joe Paterno once said that if BYU ever got a defense they would be unstopable. Now many years later it would read if BYU ever got a Offence they would be unstopable. Maybe we will get both sometime and surprise the College Ranks. What could have been this year if we had been able to move the ball like we did back in the 70's and 80's

In the mean time congrats to the Cougars. Ugly but a great win.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Dec. 21, 2012 8:26 a.m.

I remember a comment in this newspaper aeveral years ago from a Utah fan who claimed that KVN would never play at BYU.

• Sinew South Centennial, CO
    Dec. 21, 2012 8:19 a.m.

In my opinion, even more than the excitement KVN brought (past tense since I can't see how he would possibly come back) to the Cougs and his ability to take over a game, the story of what he overcame to actually be part of BYU is what ought to be talked about. Well done on all accounts, Kyle, and best wishes for a long and prosperous career at the next level.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 21, 2012 7:51 a.m.

Were it not for Bronco Mendenhall's defense and special teams, BYU would have been doomed not the Aztecs! Congratulations to Bronco and Kyle Van Noy. What an awesome game KVN had! I hope he goes high in the draft pick after this game. Those punts by Stephenson were incredible also.

We also miss the razzle dazzle offense that BYU has been famous for over the years. I hope that Brandon Doman does some serious study of creative plays. The first three quarters were dismall on offense. We said the same thing that has been mentioned. There are individually some great young men on this offense. They need some real direction. They look like they are confused and drifting except for Williams and Hoffman. Next year?? We have work to do, and let it begin now on the coaching staff.

Thanks to Lance Reynolds for spectacular coaching and incredibly talented and hard-working sons! Happy retirement.

Go Cougars!

• peter Alpine, UT
    Dec. 21, 2012 7:49 a.m.

Jamaal Williams said that the defense was the key reason that BYU won. Actually, the defense was the only reason BYU won or even made the game interesting to watch. And, don't blame the players on offense for a poor showing this year.

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT
    Dec. 21, 2012 7:11 a.m.

How in the world did Desnews miss out on the headline so badly? C'mon guys. "Van Noy Spells Doomsday for the Aztecs"

• tlaulu Taylorsville, Utah
    Dec. 21, 2012 6:58 a.m.

Kyle Van An-Noy-ance. Thanks for the excitement. Great game young man. Congratulations to you and your teammates. Now the Aztecs will live to see another end of their world.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Dec. 21, 2012 6:52 a.m.

Give this one to KVN. He was the difference. His play won the game. There is no question that Stephenson's punting was amazing. The punting kept the Aztecs from scoring, because there was no way the Aztecs were going to move the ball 95+ yards consistenly against the D, but it was KVN who put the points on the board.

I'm sure this performance moved KVN up to a first round selection, which makes his decision of whether or not to leave early an easy one. Looking forward to watching Ziggy, KVN, and Stephson in the NFL.

I really think that Hoffman will come back for his senior season, and I think it's a good decision. I think that Hill, Hoffman and Williams can get the offense on the right track next year.

• BigCougFan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 21, 2012 5:14 a.m.

3 quarters of boredom followed by an action-filled 4th quarter. I'm glad I stayed for the full game! Congrats to the boys in Blue. Especially to Lark, Van Noy, Ziggy and the Seniors. Can't wait for next year!

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Dec. 21, 2012 5:07 a.m.

Thank heavens for defense because that was one of the sorriest offenses I have had to watch all year long. From one of the nations most explosive offenses when I was at BYU to now one of the most inept. it is painful to watch this team. BYU has gone from an exciting brand of football to a demonstration of frustration.

Lets hope the 2013 team has an offense. I feel bad for say this, because I know most those kids are good kids... and deserve better...... but it is what it is.

• JonnyDanger HOUSTON, TX
    Dec. 21, 2012 5:01 a.m.

Well it wasn't a banner year for the Cougars, but we still managed to beat the WAC champions, the MWC champions, the ACC division champions, and came within one completed pass over the middle of beating the potential national champions. If only we had an offense...

• Northwest Coug Pasco, WA
    Dec. 21, 2012 3:06 a.m.

Nice to see Coach Mendenhall was right all along - Riley was the best quarterback to lead the Cougars.

Since he caved to all the fans calling for Lark, it was fortunate the defense bailed the Cougars out.

Good luck in your future, Riley, James, and everyone else who won't be back next year.