Sports

BYU basketball: Jabari Parker chooses Duke (+video)

Comments

• #utesnation Centerville, UT
    Dec. 21, 2012 11:39 a.m.

Even this ute would have enjoyed having one of the top players in the nation playin in the state. But you can't blame the kid for going to play for coach K. He is obviously wanting to go somewehre that will prepare him the best for the league. and as of right now there are 30+ NBA players that came out of Duke... Jabari made the best decision for HIM.

And Chris B. you make us all look bad.

• UteNationAlum Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 21, 2012 10:45 a.m.

Hope he does well!

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Dec. 21, 2012 9:51 a.m.

The best academic LDS students will naturally gravitate to the best univeristies and programs. The best LDS athletes will naturally gravitate to top-tier athletic programs. It is not the duty of LDS young adults to stake their future on church-supported programs and schools, if those programs don not offer the level of excellence these young adults need.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Dec. 20, 2012 11:38 p.m.

Parker's visit to BYU got hopes up but it was merely a courtesy call. He is a winner and going to a top tier winning program with tough competition.

Good luck young man.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 10:30 p.m.

Surpise, surprise...or not really.

Called it months ago.

Good luck Jabari!

• byufootballrocks Herndon, VA
    Dec. 20, 2012 10:27 p.m.

I wish our very top LDS athletes would go to BYU. They grow in ways there that cannot be measured by simply the sport they are in. They come out better prepared to serve others, lead a family, succeed in their professions beyond sports - it's an incredible experience. There's none other like it.

Here's a few examples: When they go to an English class, they don't study darkness (as I ended up doing at another major school I attended for 2 years), they study light and truth.

When they learn government the focus is on the Constitution, federalism, the Federalist papers - what makes this country great. Not endless debate over left and right.

When they go to biology or other sciences they don't focus on endless speculation about the origins of things, instead they study deep the miracles of the workings of the universe and God's creations.

And when they study religion they feast in ways that are found nowhere else. The whole environment of BYU reflects this.

So, I think many of our very top athletes, who could add so much to BYU, instead miss out on a once in a lifetime experience.

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 8:54 p.m.

I told you so, didn't I.

Duke was the best choice for J-Dog.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 8:35 p.m.

re: Unca Bon

"Duke would probably prepare him better for that goal than any other team on that list. Coach K has coached the best NBA players, "

UNC churns out better pros.

• FYI Taylorsville, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 8:32 p.m.

@Down Under
    "Crissy B, Please learn how to spell. It is embarassing."

You might want to check your own spelling..."He won't get a lot of playing time at Duke his forst year"

Typos happen...Don't judge.

• Max Charlotte, NC
    Dec. 20, 2012 7:46 p.m.

Congrats Jabari. You will love NC

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Dec. 20, 2012 6:34 p.m.

I was hoping for Stanford! Best of luck anyways!

• teleste Austin, TX
    Dec. 20, 2012 6:29 p.m.

Great move Jabari!

-Duke offers a wayyy better education that the Y or St.
    -Durham is a much better place than Lansing
    -The Cameron
    -Coach K
    -Chances at the NBA
    -You can have a goatee and still take your final exams

• MLH SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 5:58 p.m.

taraxopoios

"would have loved to have seen him in cougar blue," he will be.

• MLH SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 5:51 p.m.

Todd23forever

I have just got to say; that was the best come-back I have ever read on these pages. Chris B you sure took one there. Didn't really care where the kid went, every school he was looking at is a great school not only for basketball. It would have been fun to have seen him play out here once a year.

• Down under Pullman, WA
    Dec. 20, 2012 4:59 p.m.

Crissy B,
    Please learn how to spell. It is embarassing. No need to worry about BYU recruiting in the coming years. As I understand it they had a top 10 recruiting class coming in. They will be just fine without Parker. He will only stick around college for a year anyway. He won't get a lot of playing time at Duke his forst year and will have to suffer a lot of vulgar language from Coach K. It will grow old and he will second guess his decision. Mark it down!
    So how is Utah recruiting class next year? Oh, never mind. They don't show up on the charts.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Dec. 20, 2012 4:56 p.m.

Hard to go wrong with any of the 3 - duke, stanford or byu for different reasons. Good luck to this young man, he's sure carried himself well through all the attention.

• Disgruntled Nephi, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 4:52 p.m.

Barney you've used two of your screen names. Waiting anxiously for the third. Having Jabari Parker would neither make or break the BYU basketball program. It would've been nice for sure, but more than likely he is a one and done. The future of BYU basketball is very bright with or without Jabari.

• niners SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 4:52 p.m.

All those recruiting schemes by the BYU fans seemed a little desperate in an amusing way.... Now it just seems sad. They acted like a mid major program that has a chance at landing a big recruit. Oh wait....

• taraxopoios Lake Tapps, WA
    Dec. 20, 2012 4:42 p.m.

Grouper,

Yes, we always root for the underdog and would like to see a top athlete pick an underdog and take them to the big show. However, this is about more than just college ball. This is about positioning yourself as best you can for your future career. I'm an accountant (I know...snooze). When I chose my college I chose a top accounting school because it gave me better opportunities for the future. Same when I went to grad school. Why wouldn't Jabari do the same if his chosen career is professional basketball? Could he still make it to the NBA from BYU? Most likely. I could have also become an accountant by going to a community college. Was my salary out of school higher 'cause I went to a "better" school? Yup. His will be too.

Good luck to you Jabari. Would have loved to watch you in Cougar blue, but will be following you regardless.

• TaeKwonDoTodd SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 4:41 p.m.

He can be a great example to his fellow teammates and the community like Manti Te'o is to Notre Dame and South Bend. All Mormon Kids don't need to go to BYU.

• TaeKwonDoTodd SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 4:30 p.m.

DUH

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 4:28 p.m.

Good luck to a fine young man. You can never complain about someone going to a great university like Duke.

But, I wish he would have announced earlier in the day before all the jr high schools in the valley let out early for the holidays. We would have been able to have some good mature discussions instead of all the childish stuff.

We have seen some really grade school chatter from these commentors hiding behind alias' before but the girl friend comment is very disrespect to Jabari and women. Time to grow up.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 4:27 p.m.

Well it was up to him where he wants to play which I am fine with that. But, will he be able to play with many talented players at Duke? He is going to regret it if Mike K won't play him much including if his foot continue to give him problem. And you know what, I don't care about coach K when he act like a spoil brat almost like Coack Knight.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Dec. 20, 2012 4:11 p.m.

Good for him. Hope things work out.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 4:09 p.m.

Congrats and good luck at Duke!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Dec. 20, 2012 3:59 p.m.

I too would have loved to see Jabari in Provo, but like some of you, I will still cheer loudly for him. Stay true to your faith, Mr. Parker.

But I'm still very excited for the future of Cougar basketball. With the five great recuits this year, Haws JR next year, Collinsworth, Nielsen, and Chatman on missions. It's a great time to be a Coug!

• Dustin Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 20, 2012 3:50 p.m.

I wanted him to go to BYU, but I don't blame him a bit for committing to Duke. Mike Krzyzewski is going to teach him a lot.

• Rockarolla West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 3:49 p.m.

Chris B. I'm sure that you could never play at the highest level or have a girlfriend in Provo, or anywhere else for that matter. But I'm sure you had a great time at the Harry Potter premier.

As for young Mr. Parker I am sad that he chose Duke over BYU, but I'll get over it. He is a great young man with a huge up side as a ball player and especially as a good LDS young man. Hopefully he'll have the same impact at Duke as Manti Teo had at Norte Dame. Great Young athletes who are great young man bring great respect to their church and their schools.

Good Luck Jabari. You are AWSOME!

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Dec. 20, 2012 3:42 p.m.

Very very cool.... a great day for Durham 3rd ward. It will be fun having him here. Our no-member neighbors called us to let us know...they were so excited. What a great day for the church out here. Heading out to tonights Duke game in a few... a little extra to cheer about tonight.

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    Dec. 20, 2012 3:40 p.m.

Cha Ching! I can't blame 'ya Jabari. Go for the best pathway to big cash, via the ACC to the pros. The rest will be missionary work, through big public exposure.

• HopefulHeber Heber City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 3:36 p.m.

I'm excited for Jabari, yes disappointed, but come on, did any of us BYU fans really think he was going to choose BYU? I cant wait to watch him every week on ESPN! Good Luck Jabari

• bcandersen Pleasant Grove, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 3:34 p.m.

Of COURSE Jabari was being selfish in his decision. I know I would too. Its a decision for HIM and HIS future. Hmm....let's see. Hope I can make it to the NBA....or, go to an NBA feeder school. Coach K consistently is placing NBA players int he league. I know if I was in his shoes, I would be going after the best chance for me to go pro. Every basketball player dreams of going to Duke, NC, etc. Wants to play with the big boys, and wants to go pro. I know you'll be great Parker. Best of luck to you!

• MapleDon Springville, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 3:28 p.m.

And there wasn't a dry eye in the audience...

• esodije ALBUQUERQUE, NM
    Dec. 20, 2012 3:28 p.m.

I wonder what Jalen Rose thinks about this....

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 3:26 p.m.

This is going to be a good thing. 1 year at Duke. Two years in _____ (fill in name of your favorite mission here). One year at BYU.

• Barnbug1 SPANISH FORK, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 3:21 p.m.

Everywhere he went the schools made a big deal of it. Don't make an issue out of something thats not. Why don't all of the Utah fans go to the gymnastics site and pop off. LOL

• Barney Google Beaver, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 3:15 p.m.

@truthsandwich

"But... but didn't he see the t-shirts!?"

Which t-shirt; Fully Invested, Quest for Perfection, Band of Lil Brothers, We are BYU, Chicago to Prove?

What a waist of cotton.

Kid made a brilliant decision.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Dec. 20, 2012 3:07 p.m.

Bummer but I will follow him at Duke and hope he is the next Lebron. Go Cougars!

• PAC 12 loves U Sandy, Utah
    Dec. 20, 2012 3:06 p.m.

"Jabari Parker chooses Duke"

That's a no brainer!

• JParkerfan St. George, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 3:03 p.m.

I for one like the comments by Grouper. I agree with most of what was said.. Thank goodness there are a few people here who make sense.. If it came down to girlfriends, then BYU would have won in a landslide. For his basketball career, any school would do because no player is going to gain a lot from a coach in 1 year. Not going to happen. The greatest ever, didn't even pick up UNC's system until the end of his freshman year and I remember Dean Smith saying it wasn't until year 2 that things started clicking. Nope he stays 2 yrs at least and learns the game so we LDS fans have someone to cheer on.. Go Heels

• Scott Farcus Beaver, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 3:03 p.m.

Duh!

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 20, 2012 3:01 p.m.

@Rational

Good one! I am still laughing.!

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    Dec. 20, 2012 2:57 p.m.

His decision not anyone elses. Like most I would have liked to have seen him at the Y but we wish him the best at Duke. Need good examples there. Hope he continues to be that example.

I am thinking he will be a good player at Duke but would have been THE player at BYU with a supporting cast that will match most. Having said this if he does as well as everyone thinks he will be gone in 1 maybe 2 years. BYU players are there for 4.

Good luck and we will be watching.

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 2:56 p.m.

Grouper:
    I don't think it's that cut-and-dried. I think BYU probably needs to become more of a "we belong here" type of school that frankly *doesn't* come up with T-shirts and Gangnam Style parodies to try to attract him. I have a son who is quiet, unassuming, and a rather good player of another sport. I know he would want to go somewhere where there was rather not such a fuss made over him if he were in that position. On top of that, expectations would be through the roof for Jabari at BYU, whereas there wouldn't be quite the same pressure with playing with others of the same caliber.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 2:56 p.m.

Chris B has extra time on his hands with the Utah football team home drinking egg nog and the basketball team playing Poly Tech of Cardinal Stitch.

Great to be Ute!

• EMBO23 Riverton, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 2:49 p.m.

Chris B. -- This is just a verbal commitment; I think he left the door wide open to become a Ute.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Dec. 20, 2012 2:49 p.m.

Good Luck Jabari, would've been fun to watch you light up the MC floors. Again, best wishes to you and the other "blue devils"...(that was a funny).

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 2:47 p.m.

Chrissy,

Even this fanatic Ute becomes tired of your drivel.

• Unca Bon OREM, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 2:47 p.m.

Grouper,

I think that's a little unfair. Jabari still has a lot of learning to do before becoming an NBA star, and Duke would probably prepare him better for that goal than any other team on that list. Coach K has coached the best NBA players, and knows what Jabari needs to do to join their ranks. As much as I would have loved to see him at BYU, that was MY selfish desire. But Jabari made the decision for him, and not for me.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Dec. 20, 2012 2:45 p.m.

Chris B -

You embarrass yourself too much.

• Todd23Forever Kaysville, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 2:45 p.m.

Hey Chris B

At least we made it to a bowl game.. what was your record again this year? How is your basketball team doing this year again? At least he was even considering BYU, he would've never considered playing for a high school team like the "U"

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 2:42 p.m.

Congrats to Jabari. He is a great kid, and a great ambassador for his faith. Sure, I am disappointed he did not pick BYU, but I will still be cheering for him at Duke and beyond.

• truthsandwich RANDOLPH, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 2:39 p.m.

But... but didn't he see the t-shirts!?

hahaha

• Unca Bon OREM, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 2:39 p.m.

As a Cougar fan, can't blame him for this choice. Playing for the best coach in college basketball will be a great learning experience for him. BYU still has a great future though, with Mika, Emery, and Haws waiting on deck. If Jakob Hartsock is anything like his brother, he'll be a great addition as well. And hopefully we can snag Dastrup as well for 2014. All in all, BYU's future is pretty exciting!

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 2:37 p.m.

Good for Jabari, great decision, he'll do great things there at Duke.

And good ol' Chris B...always nice to have him around to remind us why there is a Terrestrial Kingdom :)

Go Cougars!

• Grouper Loveland, CO
    Dec. 20, 2012 2:34 p.m.

gee - real shocker. Goes to the #1 team in the country. Once in a while, wouldn't it be nice to see a top athlete have the courage to choose someplace other than the same top schools? Put a team on your shoulders and take them where they and their students have never been - that would be a real story. But go where everyone else is going, to a team that has won so many times, so they can win yet another title? boring, and what we've all come to expect from athletes - self serving, easy path. At the Y, he could have been a legend. At Duke, he will just be another one of many great players who stays for one year before going to the paycheck. It just makes college sports all the more predictable to see this. Hoosiers was a good movie not because they won the state championship, but because they did it as a true underdog. That is inspiring. JB is not ispiring as of today. He is just another athlete out for his own glory

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 2:34 p.m.

Chris B

Can have a girlfriend.

Two things that would not have been possible in Provo.

----

Chris, I didn't know you live in Provo!

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 2:34 p.m.

14 million Mormons will be disappointed. No, actually, they won't. Good luck to you Jabari. Would have loved to see you in Provo, but I was never sure it was quite the right fit. Players can become superstars here, but coming in as such is probably a lot harder.

• RSLJAZZBYUUTAH West Valley, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 2:34 p.m.

Chris B don't you get tired?

Anyways congrats to Jabari, I think that was a good move, other than the fact, there isn't anyone from Duke that I would say is relevant, but he is on one of the best teams in the country.

• Monk Pleasant Grove, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 2:32 p.m.

This is the right choice for this kid. You should go to the school that gives you the best education for your desired field. It was a tough decision, given the options. But I, for one, think Duke was the best choice. They have so many current and recent NBA players, it is almost a no-brainer.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 2:30 p.m.

Smart kid.

Can play ball at the highest level.

And have a girlfriend.

Two things that would not have been possible in Provo.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 2:29 p.m.

But I thogth he was going to commit to byu right before the big bowl game that the whole country will be watching happens?

• matt4226 Holladay, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 2:28 p.m.

I would have liked to see Jabari play for BYU, but he made the right choice in my opinion. Good luck at Duke Jabari.

Maybe Duke could play BYU at the ESA next year.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT