Sports

Utah Utes standout Star Lotulelei tops NFL draft board; Manti Te'o, Ziggy Ansah also first-rounders

Comments

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    Dec. 17, 2012 10:56 a.m.

I hope for both their pocketbooks' sakes they go as high as possible, but being drafted 1, 5, 10 or 31 has little to do with their long-term prospects. Though the top talent does tend to be found in the first few rounds, you can't accurately project a guy going #5 will be more successful than a guy going, say, in the middle of the third round. Might, might not.

And despite being a Y fan, I don't see why I can't root for Alex Smith. He's been dealt with incredibly poorly. He suffered through several years of organizational instability and now losese his job because of a concussion despite playing well. If I were him this would be the last year I put on a Niners' jersey. Harbaugh hosed him.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Dec. 16, 2012 6:51 p.m.

Today I was listening to the Denver-Baltimore game on the radio. It was really nice to hear the names Beadles, Krueger, and Pitta. It's not often that we get to hear the names of 3 former Utes/Cougars from the same NFL broadcast. It was nice to hear.

I'm looking forward to hearing the names Lotulelei, Ansah, and Te'o.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 16, 2012 3:09 p.m.

@sammyg

The booby prize was the 3 wins we had over BYU this year.

If you played a "real" schedule you would know 8-5 is anything but an "abysmal" season considering we're still in the process of building a PAC-12 program.

Duckhunter: "I'm the balance. So many of you utah "fans" are blind to reality."

You're a joke that keeps on giving...LOL

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Dec. 16, 2012 2:33 p.m.

@Duckhunter,

What is this balance you are always inducing into the justification for being negative? Are some Ute fans delusional? Sure. But why worry about it so much? You aren't doing your Cougar fan brothers any favors by being so obsessively concerned with trashing Utah. It's not what your faith is about. You might want to try being a Wyoming Cowboy fan again.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 16, 2012 9:21 a.m.

@gdog

I'm the balance. So many of you utah "fans" are blind to reality.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 15, 2012 11:32 a.m.

sammy, with more deflection and just saying anything you can to trash the team, you've proven my point. Thank you.

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Dec. 15, 2012 10:57 a.m.

sammy/duck

24-21. And 3 in a row, 4 out of 5, 8 out of 11, and 56-34-4 overall.

We own you.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Dec. 15, 2012 10:25 a.m.

Stg

The NFL draft and Star's ultimate selection is this year's Ute booby prize to culminate a losing season. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Ute fans such as yourself are desperate for any kind of success and the NFL draft is all that's left of two abysmal seasons in the PAC12.

So after all the hype of the season anything less than Star going at #1 will be taken by several of you Ute fans as an injustice and personal failure. I find this hilarious as I'm sure he will be just as grateful to be picked at other numbers. This is the kind of mentality that is fun to observe. That's what's so funny about you Ute fans and I so enjoy being a part of the discussion.

So out of a lousy team that could not make a bowl game there is a silver lining.

BYU has never had any NFL stars. (sarcasm)

I've never followed the NFL until Alex Smith lost his starting QB roll two weeks ago. (more sarcasm)

I'll be watching USU today, the team that beat U. hohoho!

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Dec. 15, 2012 12:10 a.m.

Duckhunter taking his best shots at Utah again. As usual these shots are weak and bitter. Is playing devil's advocate fulfilling?

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 14, 2012 8:45 p.m.

sammy, never said you criticized the player, only his "opportunity in the NFL" as you put it. Your backtracking now is as obvious as your reaching for something to knock on the team with in the previous article. Nice try.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 14, 2012 7:34 p.m.

Good luck to Star and all the other in state potential draft picks as well. I would love to see Reggie Dunn make a team as well he has the chance to be a good returner in the NFL.

I'm not sure why this article causes many coug fans to bag on Alex Smith - the guy has been one of the best QB's in the league the last two seasons. He is also one of the better persons in the league which is pretty rare these days. I guess the jealousy just clouds your vision.

Good luck Star and Go Utes!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Dec. 14, 2012 7:13 p.m.

Stg

Did I criticize the player? Not hardly.

Nice try.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 14, 2012 5:46 p.m.

sammyg: "Never have I criticized the player nor his opportunity in the NFL, just the silly fans that get so worked up over nothing."

That is not the same tune from a couple weeks ago. So do you include yourself in that criticism of silly fans?

"There's no doubt that he will go high in the draft but had the Ute coaching staff had done their jobs better Star would have had more opportunities to perform.

It's a moot point but a valid one. Losers do not help their NFL draft picks nearly as much as winners.

4:53 p.m. Nov. 22, 2012"

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Dec. 14, 2012 2:01 p.m.

Stg

Still reeling from my PAC10.2 Network predictions I see.

If Star doesn't go as #1 then who are we to blame? The lousy team he played on, the coaches, the conference, bad luck, or the team that passed him up?

You're certainly making a mountain out of molehill. Never have I criticized the player nor his opportunity in the NFL, just the silly fans that get so worked up over nothing.

Enjoy the Jabari drama and the Poinsettia bowl!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 14, 2012 12:35 p.m.

@sky2K1

"Also, what does it say about your #1 guy when #24 from the same draft has an MVP trophy and a supberbowl ring?"

It says that Green Bay already had a much better team of talent surrounding their very talented quarterback - you should know this, it's right there in the draft numbers you posted.

• DodgerDoug Salem, UT
    Dec. 14, 2012 11:51 a.m.

BYU haters and Utah haters.... calm down. These are three studs on the gridiron that any of us would have given our favorite child to have had them on our team (okay, maybe a little over dramatic but you get the point) These guys are studs and I wish all three, long and successful careers! Go Cougs!

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Dec. 14, 2012 9:22 a.m.

I love Ziggy's story, the little bit that I know. I love to see a guy come out of no where and surprise us all, ala Wes Mathews, or Jeremy Lin. Ziggy is an amazing beast of a football player. I hope he has a great and long career in the NFL.

Star is an awesome representative for the state of Utah and for the University of Utah. It has been a great ride watching him each week.

Best of luck to all three of them.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 14, 2012 8:55 a.m.

@rational

Ok that is great and all but ultimately the player has to perform regardless of his circumstances. Everything is is just 'coulda, shoulda, woulda" stuff and in the case of smith there is absolutely no convincing case that can be made that what he has done has proven him to be worthy of being the overall #1 pick. Now Star has the chance to do that although I doubt he goes #1, it will much more likely be a qb. But I think he is legit and will be a quality NFL player, I never thought smith with amount to much of anything.

What is more fun is all of the utah "fans" claiming that none of it was smiths fault, it's everyone else that has caused him to be so mediocre, blah, blah, blah. He just got benched for a 2nd round pick. Hopefully Star has a more distinguished and accomplished career than that and hopefully it will be good enough that utah "fans" won't have to spend the next 10 years telling us how star "coulda" been great if not for everyone else.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 14, 2012 8:20 a.m.

Duckhunter,

Where a player plays has a tremendous impact on their career. Jim Plunkett struggled at New England, won two Super Bowls for the Raiders. You really think Steve Young would've been an HOF QB in Tampa Bay? I doubt HE thinks so. I'm a BYU fan and I root for Alex Smith.

motorbike,

In the same breath, I'll take an HOF, NFL MVP and/or Super Bowl Winner QB over a #1 draft pick. Alex Smith is no Steve Young OR Jim McMahon. He is, of course, more recent, and as a Cougar, I'd like to see BYU have a more recent example to give you. We'd both like to see our teams have more recent success.

• I-am-I South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 14, 2012 7:14 a.m.

I played high school ball with Star. I'm not a Ute fan, but I wish him the best. He's a good Guy, and he's living the dream. All you people arguing and insulting these kids ought to be ashamed. All three of these kids are incredible athletes hopefully they can have long successful careers as pros.

• Bill Shakespeare Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 14, 2012 6:25 a.m.

This fellow is already a big star. Get it?

• sky2k1 Provo, UT
    Dec. 14, 2012 4:01 a.m.

@utahcountyute I'll see your #1 overall pick and raise you two superbowl winning QB's and 1 heisman. Also, what does it say about your #1 guy when #24 from the same draft has an MVP trophy and a supberbowl ring?

Good luck to star, ziggy, and everyone else from utah looking to get drafted.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Dec. 13, 2012 11:59 p.m.

OF CORSE............Star is a stud

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 11:05 p.m.

Hmm, sammyg sure seemed to be right on this one. The Utes' bad season really seems to have hurt Star's draft status, dropping from a consensus preseason top 10 pick projection to a postseason consensus top 3 pick projection. Don't know why we don't give the guy more credibility

• Utejazz West Valley City, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 10:01 p.m.

@Duckhunter. You must love getting embarrassed on here.
    GO UTES! And GO Star Lotuleilei

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 7:38 p.m.

Oh little Ducky ... once again, you make yourself look desperately jealous. Ripping on a number 1 draft pick from the school you despise when your team has never even had a player picked #1??? You crack me up.
    I sure hope Star doesn't get taken #1 ... I just don't see you living through that, and I for one would miss you buddy!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 6:55 p.m.

milkshake, 62% completions with 23 TDs and 10 INTs versus far inferior competition? I think that is far from "without a doubt." Don't get me wrong, just having a guy at the FCS level receiving any NFL attention is a great accomplishment for that player and his team, but we're not exactly talking about Joe Flacco. There's a reason he's not listed in this article, these players are in another stratosphere.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 13, 2012 6:45 p.m.

Where's Fangupo????

• nunya sacramento, ca
    Dec. 13, 2012 6:44 p.m.

WHAT? are you kidding me....is utah really not going to a bowl game? whoa, what happened? hahahaha

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 13, 2012 6:44 p.m.

Congratulations to all three men. I hope the predictions are correct and these three great football players, and even better role models, are rewarded accordingly.

Thanks especially to Star, it was a fun ride!!

Go Utes!

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Dec. 13, 2012 5:50 p.m.

Star will get drafted number one. Then he will struggle for a few years. And just when he is getting it all figured out and playing really well, he will get an injury that keeps him out for a game. His replacement will play well, and Star will be relegated to back up duties.

In all seriousness, I hope these predictions come true. When was the last time two guys from Utah teams went in the first round of the NFL draft? Never?

• Anatis Ultio Ultionis Omaha, NE
    Dec. 13, 2012 5:20 p.m.

@ Duckhunter:

Spewing more of your contentious comments. What was a terrific article about 3 truly deserving athletes has become a platform for you to yet again spew contention. True to form though, you demonstrate what one should not do in order to represent one's faith. I hope all 3 young men do great things in the nfl and life thereafter.

Go UTES!!

• bcandersen Pleasant Grove, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 5:02 p.m.

People, just calm down the rivalry. I think there are fantastic stories about players getting drafted. I'm proud of Ziggy and Star. I hope both will do fantastic things in the NFL-it builds a good rep for athletes coming out of this state. It also helps all Utah schools to recruit. As for Manti-a true stud of a player. Watch some of his highlights-he reads offenses like a pro (no pun intended).

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 4:47 p.m.

Proud (does that mean arrogant?) Ute,

Too bad for you and Cougar fans too, that you can't wish someone good without celebrating another's misfortune. It's not a good sign.

• Proud Ute ,
    Dec. 13, 2012 4:09 p.m.

Best wishes for a long and injury free NFL career.
    Take it easy on those coogs (Fangupo and Reynolds come to mind) who've managed to find their way on to practice squads to ride the blocking sleds.

BTW.... didn't somebody predict Fangupo would go before Bergstrom? Just sayin... another busted prediction out of Happy Valley.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 3:44 p.m.

I know duck, John Beck would have won the superbowl if it weren't for the other 21 guys who started on his team.

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    Dec. 13, 2012 3:30 p.m.

Duckhunter

The #1 draft pick has 1 playoff win in 8 seasons in the NFL.

At that rate it'll only take Alex about 32 years to become a Super Bowl MVP like Steve Young or Jim McMahon.

What's not to like?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 3:10 p.m.

@utahcountyute

"Alex has done great things with what he has been dealt."

Really? Do tell?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 2:51 p.m.

@gonefishn

Because that is Teo's connection to this state. When reading an article you cannot always assume that every single person reading it knows who the people referenced in the article are, or where they come from, or what connection they have to the article as a whole. By referencing that he is a Mormon it makes an immediate connection between the kid and tha vast majority of the Deseret News readership even if they have never heard of him before reading this article. It gives them a connection and a point of reference.

Why does it bother you so much that it is referenced?

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 13, 2012 2:48 p.m.

Because theoretically no one from Utah and/or who is LDS cares where a Notre Dame player goes in the draft. Lots of other non-LDS players will get drafted, but did not get press in the Deseret News.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 2:44 p.m.

Duck

I know, it's kinda like that kid that went #1 at the school down south... Oh wait that's right, there never has been a kid go #1 at that school.

Star will do great things just like Alex has done great things with what he has been dealt.

Thanks Star!

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 2:30 p.m.

"Notre Dame Linebacker and devout Mormon Manti Teo"
    I do not get why the kids religion has anything to do with this article?
    good lick to all these young men.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 2:13 p.m.

Well if Star does go #1 overall at least he will have a chance of living up to that pick unlike the last guy to go #1 overall from utah.

• milkshake St. George, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 1:53 p.m.

With all of the QB controversy in the state this year, why does the press keep forgetting to talk about SUU's Brad Sorenson? #10 on the 2013 QB draft list! Seriously, this young man is the real deal! Look at what he has done with an average o-line and average recievers at the FCS level. BYU gave him the boot down the road, SUU picks him up and "should" still be playing. Quit talking about the BYU and Utah wanna be's and give this young man some press! He is, without a doubt, the best QB in Utah!

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 11:39 a.m.

Let's hope the predictions are accurate. And thanks Star for the memories. Best wishes for the future!!!