U.S. & World

Aspirin: Should the government make Americans take it?

Comments

• OCoug Ogden, UT
    Dec. 16, 2012 1:26 a.m.

Interesting information provided.

• Mister J Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2012 4:10 p.m.

re: Mountanman

"According to the last election, there are far more Obama sheep running around bleating for more free stuff and that always gets them going. "

At least, 47% of the populace, right????

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2012 10:44 a.m.

Why object to the emphasis on good health measures? We casually accept 1000+ deaths per day in the US from tobacco use. Why not casually accept sound medical advice? Anyone who makes this a liberal v. conservative issue is badly misdirected.

• pumpkin Huntington, Utah
    Dec. 14, 2012 12:08 p.m.

I cannot take aspirin. It eats my stomach walls. I cry after taking a half dose.

• Wonder Provo, UT
    Dec. 14, 2012 10:26 a.m.

@meta -- But the thing is, how in the world is the government going to determine that you've taken your daily aspirin? How can anyone with any common sense think that this would be a law or regulation that the government would enact? Whether or not you buy insurance is easily measurable. What do you seriously think the government is going to do to make sure you take your aspirin? Draw your blood on a daily basis? Send someone to your house to watch you take your pill? Of course not. Thus it is lunacy to really be afraid of something like this. I think people just look for things to be afraid of. It's quite sad.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    Dec. 14, 2012 9:22 a.m.

The DN article cites an op-ed piece written by David Agus and provides a connection to that article. In that article the author suggests:

"When does regulating a person’s habits in the name of good health become our moral and social duty? The answer, I suggest, is a two-parter: first, when the scientific data clearly and overwhelmingly demonstrate that one behavior or another can substantially reduce — or, conversely, raise — a person’s risk of disease; and second, when all of us are stuck paying for one another’s medical bills (which is what we do now, by way of Medicare, Medicaid and other taxpayer-financed health care programs)."

If the government has power to tell me I must have health insurance or be fined, it also has power to regulate the things I do (or don't do) to stay healthy.

• Winglish Lehi, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 10:55 p.m.

All joking aside, anyone who has an ulcer will rue the day they took this aspirin advice. Internal bleeding is no joke. Aspirin only aggravates the bleeding, causing frequent heartburn and stomach pain.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Dec. 13, 2012 3:55 p.m.

I am so excited about my new life of free stuff from the government (hyperventilating). The only thing I am bummed out about is I wasted so much of my life working and paying taxes when I didn't need to! I can qualify for free housing, free food stamps, unemployment checks, free healthcare, free birth control pills for my wife, free abortions for my daughter until she is 26, and yes, even a free phone) Wait! What's that you greedy, selfish Republicans are saying..'who is going to pay for all my new found free stuff'? I don't care, I am a Democrat now! Whooopie isn't life great?

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 3:34 p.m.

I love a well placed post, without the benefit of a sarcasm font. Not sure whether its the "ultrarightwingnuts" or the "ultraleftuptighties" that make it the most fun...

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 3:27 p.m.

@ Tolstoy

So what, in your mind, is the issue? Is it what "Why would I" talks about and the headline references as to mandatory ingestion of medication and the loss os ability to decide for one's self about health issues, or it is the fact that medical research has shown that certain medicines tend to help reduce health problems as people age and such could benefit everyone? To which law are you making reference?

Remember the flap that ensued what Uncle Sam decided that ketchup in a school lunch qualified as a vegetable? Is this similarly ridiculous or not?

It sounds to me like many commentors jumped into the fray regarding the headline and not necessarily the article itself. Can't you handle that? I see more than one issue here so what about you? What do you see?

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 2:58 p.m.

@too
    no actaully if you have not taken the time ot educate yourself on this issue there is no one to blame but yourself and using lack of understanding of the law makes ofr a weak argument.

• Why would I? Farmington, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 2:26 p.m.

Why would I find this objectionable? Why not make people "quit smoking" or "eat less fat and/or sugar" or even, this is a great thought, "stop drinking?" Just think of all the unused cancer centers that we'd have without smoking and fewer funerals without DUI's, etc. Man, this is something that we ought to do right away! And while we're at it, make everyone own a gun and keep it loaded for personal safety (oh, oh, now we'll need those funeral palors after all) and limit cars from going the wrong way on freeways, speeding etc. We can all be SAFE as we become robots!

I'm sure the good doctor was making a joke....don't you realize doctors "joke" about health care all the time? (Then they charge you for your visit, whether they helped you or not.)

Good ideas, here, to MAKE everything safer and better. (Outlaw war too---weapons are expensive and we could use the money to help us all "go green," another worthy federal government goal that should be required of everyone.)

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha.....what an article and reaction(s) to it. (Sarcasm to the max.)

• Wonder Provo, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 2:06 p.m.

@toosmartforyou -- The only people who would jump to such a silly conclusion (that the government was going to come in your house every day and check to see if you'd taken your daily aspirin) are people who believe in every crackpot conspiracy theory that comes along. Never mind any logic or truth. The only thing these fearful folks care about is: Does this piece of info involve Obama or the government and make my blood boil? Well then I believe it!!

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 1:32 p.m.

One old man

Well, you've got to admit that with all the unknowns in "Obamacare' that people could reasonably jump to conclusions that weren't necessarily true but plant ideas for down the road in the minds of those with the "cradle-to-grave" mentality of regulations (that liberals seem to enjoy).

This whole discussion is just funny. Obama wants free contraception for those who profess to not believe in it, yet they vote for him anyway because now it's "free" and a "personal choice." People are very entertaining in what they want, demand or will tolerate from their government and I include not only national but state, county and city.

Too funny.........

• Wonder Provo, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 1:21 p.m.

To summarize the far right's response to this article: If the government learns about scientific studies that show an aspirin a day would help most adults avoid some types of disease, the government must under no circumstances publicize that information. If the government mentions the results of this research in any way, that in and of itself constitutes the government "telling me what to do". It is much better if I remain in ignorance of any scientific fact if the alternative is that the government makes any recommendation based on scientific research. Does that about cover it?

• PGVikingDad Pleasant Grove, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 12:34 p.m.

@ atl134: Wait a minute. Keeping my own hard-earned money is somehow "getting free stuff"?! Difficult logic at best.

• Superfluous Anaheim, CA
    Dec. 13, 2012 12:33 p.m.

@Mountanman
    Take an aspirin
    "Vote for Romney"
    ...but don't call me in the morning

...what am I going to do with ALL this "free stuff"?

• PGVikingDad Pleasant Grove, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 12:28 p.m.

"Make" v. "Encourage" aside, there is a VAST difference between MMR/polio and cancer/heart disease: Cancer and heart disease are not communicable ailments. Taking aspirin might be a good idea, but failure to do so puts no-one else at risk.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 12:14 p.m.

@Mountanman
    You wanted a 20% tax cut so you're in no position to complain about other people wanting free stuff.

• Wonder Provo, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 10:50 a.m.

What a misleading headline. How could the government "make" anyone take aspirin? What the article SAYS is "why not make it public policy to encourage middle-aged people to use aspirin?” Calm down righties. Again you're getting your knickers in a twist over nothing.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 10:49 a.m.

Oh for crying out loud!

One doctor somewhere makes a proposal -- whether good or bad or just as a point of discussion (or maybe even just a joke) -- and the ultrarightwingnuts go even more nuts.

I'm wondering if the DN news headline writer thought he'd toss a little red meat out just for fun.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Dec. 13, 2012 10:47 a.m.

Superfluous. Republican sheep? haaaa. According to the last election, there are far more Obama sheep running around bleating for more free stuff and that always gets them going. Now, if we can just figure out how the rest of us are going to pay for it all! Now there is an interesting question, isn't it?

• Making Sense Herriman, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 10:44 a.m.

I know there are documented benefits to taking Aspirin, but I have concerns with the notion that governments demanding things is the solution. There are a ton of other health-related aspects where government influence has not improved situations. Additionally, if the government is going to step in and demand things, then maybe work to keep people from blowing second-hand smoke in my face in any public setting or regulating smokers' thoughts that the world (and my hood on the highway) is their personal ashtray.

A few years ago I began taking a baby Aspirin each day following my Dad have a stint inserted due to heart issues. The use of the Aspirin correlated with tinnitus and Meniere's-like symptoms which included horrible ringing and other sounds in my ear along with debilitating vertigo. I can't say the cause was the aspirin for sure but those symptoms decreased dramatically when I ceased taking the daily dose of Aspirin. Others have reported similar issues so requiring everyone to take it may inadvertently bring about some side effects.

Oh and it's actually trademarked as "Obamacareless."

• Superfluous Anaheim, CA
    Dec. 13, 2012 10:26 a.m.

Nowhere in this article does it say the government is "making" anyone do anything--except the headline.
    But, it does get the Republican sheep going, doesn't it? haaa
    Learn to read before you bahhh

• LVIS Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 10:05 a.m.

If the govt is going to 'make' us take the aspirin, then the govt is going to have to pay for the aspirin. No worries, though. Just make it part of Obamacare and, if you are 40+ years old, the govt can just mail it to our homes. And we can check a box on our income tax returns stating whether we took it or not.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Dec. 13, 2012 9:52 a.m.

Isn't this part of Obamacare? The part no one knows is there, yet?

• Ramdas Pleasant Grove, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 9:47 a.m.

Just what we need, more government regulation of our personal lives. Long live the nanny state!

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 9:41 a.m.

Anything else they'd like to "make" us do?

• Bill Shakespeare Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 9:17 a.m.

Classic medical advice: you're darned if you did and you're darned if ya dunt.