Sports

Jabari Parker's Chicago high school rated No. 1 in nation, Lone Peak No. 2

Comments

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 3:26 p.m.

@A10what

Actually Vroman was about 7'1" and at least 6" taller than anyone on the current Lone Peak team. That Provo team also had Giff Neilson, a future pro athlete, Vance Law, another future pro athlete, Sam Jarman who someoone else mentioned who was a great player, and quite a few more studs, and they all played for the greatest basketball coach in the history of this state Jim Spencer. I saw both play although I wasn't yet in HS for the Provo team, and I would probably go with the Provo team.But I suppose we can wait and see how these kids at Lone Peak do in the future because it is an excellent bunch of athletes.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 3:21 p.m.

@mjb

Yea it was the 1973 team. Long time ago so excuse me for messing it up by a year.

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 12, 2012 12:38 p.m.

Ok!

This team is better then 07-08,

I feel TJ is better then his older brother, who I feel is starting to RUIN himself at BYU.

He thinks he is jimmer, he was the role player to jimmer 3 years ago, averaged about 13 points, now he is shotting 80 times more, and is hurting the COUGARS!

This years BYU team is not very good.
    If we have JOSH SHARP starting we are not a good D1 basketball team! Sorry to al lthe Lone Peak lovers

But would you all stop talking about this recruiting class.

We have no idea what MIKA or Emery will do at BYU next year, so even if Jabari came, how would we know, IT COMES DOWN TO COACHING.
    Something Dave Rose hasnt done in 2 years since Jimmer left.

Im very stoked to see Lone Peak this year though! back to them!
    Love this team, and stoked to see them keep going to these national tournaments and winning!

Chicago Proviso East Coach after his team got beat by 40,
    "All the nationally ranked teams I watched, HANDS down the best team here was Lone Peak."
    #2 maxpreps
    #7 USATODAY
    #8 Espn Fab 50!

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 12, 2012 12:08 p.m.

He wont come to BYU

U people know he is an Inner City Chicago Kid!

No way he is going to come to PROVO! NO WAY!

So stop all my fellow BYU fans, stop thinking that RECRUITS WIN TITLES!

• SJH BRONCOS Over there, UT
    Dec. 12, 2012 9:23 a.m.

We will also find out Thursday December 20th where he will choose to play ball. It will be televised on ESPNU.

• SJH BRONCOS Over there, UT
    Dec. 12, 2012 9:18 a.m.

To anyone that truly thinks Jabari Parker will come bo BYU.

First off I'm a BYU fan. Jabari will have the spotlight for sure if he goes to BYU. He will put up the numbers and he will solitify himself as a lottery draft pick. The thing that make me believe that he wont go to BYU is the fact that the west coast conference is not appealing. Every road game will be in an oversized high school gym. Possibly some espn games against gonzaga and st marys. Lets take duke for instance. I think all but five regular season games are on the family of espn networks. Then 3 of the 5 that arent on espn are on cbs. That exposure speaks for itself. The competition is so much better in the acc or the big ten if he chooses michigan state. If he is a one and done, Coach K will have him the most prepared for the NBA. Nothing against coach Rose but how many players has he sent to the NBA? I also have to believe that a national title is a goal. Byu could compete for a title but too many what ifs.

• Just the FAX Olympus Cove, Utah
    Dec. 11, 2012 9:07 p.m.

AntelopeValleyUte

"I have never seen a local newspaper (Deseret News) and the BYU faithful be so obsessed with a high school basketball player who doesn't even live in the state of Utah."

You do realize how ridiculous your post is, don't you?

When have the Utes EVER had an opportunity to sign the best basketball player in the entire country?

Only a desperately jealous Utah fan would even think of making an issue out of what state Jabari is from. The only reason any Utah fan would "laugh" if Jabari signs with another program is out of nervous relief that U won't have endure Jabarimania!

LOL at the angst Ute nation is suffering while they anxiously await the final decision.

Meanwhile, BYU fans are simply enjoying the anticipation.

• AntelopeValleyUte Palmdale, CA
    Dec. 11, 2012 6:55 p.m.

While Jabari Parker may be a very outstanding young man and an even better basketball player, I have never seen a local newspaper (Deseret News) and the BYU faithful be so obsessed with a high school basketball player who doesn't even live in the state of Utah. I understand he is Mormon, but come on, don't creep the poor kid out. I would laugh if he chose another school and didn't go to BYU.

• yourstruly PAUL, ID
    Dec. 11, 2012 6:45 p.m.

If Mika and Emery would play with Jabari as freshman Jabari might be enticed to go to BYU. The three freshman, Haws and Kyle Collinsworth would really be a story and few expectations. I hope Jabari knows what a great athlete Kyle is. He is going to be better even defensively than Jackson Emery was. Not unlike the fab 5 at Michigan Jabari could be the leader along with Tyler of a special group. The power houses have the ability to give Jabari a final four chance but if the Lone Peak kids would just wait a year before their missions Jabari might come. If they aren't with him(he knows their talent) he might think why should I go. It would take a lot of courage for Jabari to go to BYU and be the man instead of at Duke where he would have a more proven supporting cast.

I am sure Jabari will have a great pro career but it would be great if he had a once in a lifetime experience at BYU, perhaps find his future wife and taste the experience only BYU can offer.

• RD1025 Springville, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 2:52 p.m.

Jabari Parker should follow in the foot steps of Manti Te'o and go with a proven winner and better program. All this hype about how good BYU will be with all these recruits will lead to more frustration and disappointment for the BYU fans. You can bring in all this talent, but it will be the same old story when tournament time comes around.

• CordonBleu Park City, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 2:38 p.m.

Trying to compare teams from different eras is an exercise in futility.

What's fair to say is that the early 70's Provo HS team was as dominant in its day as the Lone Peak HS team is today.

Which for BYU fans is welcome news since both teams contributed a wealth of talent to BYU.

• Ganbatte Alpine, Utah
    Dec. 11, 2012 2:29 p.m.

My quick take on this:

This years team is the best high school team. They have been playing together longer and are operating at such a high level. Eric has assilated very well and this team is a national power.

The 2008 team may be just as good if not better post high school. Time will tell.

Justin Hamilton was drafted in the 2nd round by Miami Heat. He improves every year.
    Tyler is at BYU.
    Josh is at BYU.
    Bracken was with Fresno State and is now starting at BYUH.
    Kimball is starting at Dixie State.
    Backup Nate is at BYU.

This years team may have one or more beyond College ball.

Time will tell.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 11, 2012 2:13 p.m.

Feliz

Don't kid yourself.

I'd stack the Bird and Magic teams up against the Lebron and Durrant teams anyday.

It takes more than brute strength and jumping ability to be a great basketball player.

Bird's teammates used to joke that you could barely slide a piece of paper under his feet when he jumped, yet his fadeaway jumper was impossible to block.

• MJB Tooele, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 1:45 p.m.

TO kcougfan,
    If you would think, football is played in the fall, so when I mentioned that they lost the state championship game to the high school cougars, it was in 1972. I didn't say that he was a senior in 1972, just that he was when they played the football game. I was on my mission at the time but I was good friends with the Bona family and saw plenty of games that Dean was able to play both quarterback and safety.

• Civil Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 1:16 p.m.

Feliz,

While players on average are bigger, stronger, faster and more skilled, that doesn't necessarily hold true on an individual basis, be it player or team. Brett Vroman was 7' tall, and a future NBA player. His counterpart at Orem was 6'6" Jay Cheesman (4 year starter at BYU and two-time All-WAC), and Provo and Orem played their games in the Marriott Center in front of 10,000 fans. Take away the 3 point shot, which wasn't legal in the '70's, and that Provo team would've been competitive with the current Lone Peak team, as would the Provo and Bingham teams of 1978, which featured MacDonald's All-Americans and future pros Devin Durrant and Fred Roberts, respectively.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 12:54 p.m.

Dear TJ Haws,

Please take extra classes and graduate early. Whether you are planning on going pro some day, or serving a mission, graduating early will benefit you.

Plus we'd like to see you, Mika, Emery, your brother and Jabari play together.

Sincerely,

All BYU fans and none of BYU's opponents

• PGVikingDad Pleasant Grove, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 12:49 p.m.

A10what is exactly correct. I was a "solid" high school center in the late '80s into 1990. I was 6'7" and 240#, and I played and practiced as much as any typical player from the time, which meant those months when I wasn't playing football or throwing for the track team. Oh, or on summer vacation (I did squeeze in one or two summer camps per year, though.) I also didn't start playing until the 8th grade, which was also typical. So, if you were to tally every month of real basketball I ever played before I graduated, it MIGHT be a total of a year-and-a-half. Maybe. Today's kids have that much experience by age ten. Different worlds of talent, if we're honest with ourselves.

• Feliz Kaysville, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 11:50 a.m.

All you oldtimers have forgotten that athletes today are bigger, faster, stronger, and better then back in the day.

• A10what U S A F ACADEMY, CO
    Dec. 11, 2012 11:37 a.m.

I'm sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but there is absolutely no way any of these 70's teams could beat Lone Peaks current team. Now days basketball is year round, which causes the talent to jump exponentially. At the time, yes I am sure those teams were dominant. The talent now however, compared to 40 years ago, would not compare. #2 in the nation in this decade? This is a huge feat for Utah. AND Utah's history. Lone Peak is THE best we have seen. No Doubt.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 10:48 a.m.

I played volleyball on a ward team that included two other players from that 1973 Provo HS team - Mark Jarman and Vance Law (then a professional baseball player for the Toronto Bluejays and Chicago Cubs). We won the area championship 5 out of 6 years, finishing 2nd to a Polynesian ward the other year.

That 1973 Provo team would have given this 2012 Lone Peak team all they could handle.

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 10:01 a.m.

Haws and Emery are as advertised. But I think the addition of Mika is what has pushed Lone Peak over the top. Remember the team still have players like Shumway, Toolson and others who would be the top dogs at other schools but accept their roles and do whatever is asked of them to help add to their team's success.

• kcougfan Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 8:29 a.m.

Duckhunter and mjb your both wrong...!!!Close though Gifford graduated in 1973...same as me

• MJB Tooele, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 7:56 a.m.

to Duckhunter
    How could Gifford be on the 1974 team when his Provo team lost in the state championship in football to Kearns in 1972 when he was a senior? Did he get held back?

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Dec. 11, 2012 7:38 a.m.

I would put the 1978 Bingham HS team up against any team. With 6'-10" Fred Roberts leading the way, the Miners won back to back state championships moving from 3A ('77) to 4A ('78). They lost one game to Orem in two years.

There's a lot more exposure now days; along with out of town tournaments. No doubt about one thing, this Lone Peak team is special, and very, very good!

• goodDr. sandy, UT
    Dec. 10, 2012 10:06 p.m.

no, 4601,
    chris was working the night shift and sold him the shirt. ernest, shouldn't you have the slogan "win 13 in 2013" somewhere in your thousands of posts?

• I Bleed Blue Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 10, 2012 9:31 p.m.

Good to see that Chris is back on the board after eating the plate of crow that was served up over the weekend. If BYU can land Jabari get used to it as a regular part of your diet over the next few years.

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 10, 2012 9:07 p.m.

Chris,
    Did you see him during your shopping spree?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 10, 2012 8:47 p.m.

@utahute16

I think this team is better, but both are/were very good. I don't know that either is better than the '74 Provo team of Brett Vroman, Giff Neilson, and some other studs. That team went undefeated for two straight seasons and put multiple players into D1 as well.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 10, 2012 7:08 p.m.

First the $50,000,000 HD truck and now this! It will be "Final Four by 94" all over again, can't wait!

• UtahUte16 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 10, 2012 6:48 p.m.

I have a question for LP fans. Is this team better than the 07-08 LP team? I seriously can't imagine how they would be. That team was dominant and gigantic. Didn't their starting line up average around 6'6"? Put this year's team up against them and who would win?

• CA. reader Rocklin, CA
    Dec. 10, 2012 6:00 p.m.

What would really be great about this situation would be even one inner city young man or woman seeing the other side of life. One can be good at something and obedient to God's commandments, regardless of the setting, your race or background.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Dec. 10, 2012 5:34 p.m.

I assume these two schools don't have a chance in playing each other in all of these National Tournaments? Lone Peak is Loaded!

• IndeMak South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 10, 2012 5:12 p.m.

It's like a ray of sunshine coming down on BYU.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 10, 2012 5:10 p.m.

Word is Jabari went and found that shirt at the Deseret Industries in hopes of "fitting in" during his time in Provo.

• COUGARNATE Lyman, WY
    Dec. 10, 2012 5:06 p.m.

The next two recruiting classes for BYU are spectacular even without Jabari, but if BYU got Jabari next years class would not only be BYU's Best recruiting class ever, but the best in the history of the state, and definitely a top five class for next year.

• sdunn Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 10, 2012 4:25 p.m.

Who is the guy next to Jabari?

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 10, 2012 4:23 p.m.

Great reviews about outstanding young men who happen to be outstanding young basketball players who also happen to all be outstanding young members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. "Let your light so shine...."