Utah Utes basketball: Runnin' Utes overpower Boise State, pay tribute to Rick Majerus

• cedarcityute cedar city, UT
    Dec. 7, 2012 3:15 p.m.

Hopefully the Utes can keep paying tribute to this great coach and start winning some more games. It's been hard on me as a fan to see my Utes go downhill like this, they did so well, but I think coach K is helping them get on the right track and I love seeing this. It's wonderful to see this much respect for this guy. Anyone remember when he threw a chair? How about the cooler? What about the telephone? Crazy times with that guy, but he was an awesome man nonetheless and I'm sad he passed away at such a young age.

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Dec. 7, 2012 10:30 a.m.

Due to the arrogance of their fans, you would think BYU would be up there with North Carolina, Kansas or Duke in their basketball tradition. To come on here and knock a blowout win over a team that is better (beat a top 20 team, came close to beating another) than their team is very telling that rational thought isn't the driving factor. Speaking of basketball tradition, Utah has far more of it than BYU who has never even been to the Final Four and as such, the final game. Even after the nadir the that has been the last half dozen years, Utah still ranks higher on every list of top NCAA Basketball Programs (#12 all time with a NCAA Tourney Record to back it up). BYU on the other hand owns the NCAA Tourney Record in futility; most appearances without ever getting to the Final four (only been to the Elite 8 once). So please save the puffed up attitude until after your team actually does something noteworthy when it counts.

• AK UTE Palmer, AK
    Dec. 7, 2012 12:44 a.m.

Thank you "Coach Biff" it is nice to see some class it is a difficult time right now at the U BB program but things are getting better. They are a long way from where they need to be but it will come. Good luck Utes and Cougars.

Thank you Coach M I would have loved to have been in attendance the other night I just leave too far away.

• Coach Biff Lehi, UT
    Dec. 6, 2012 4:20 p.m.

May I please apologize for my fellow BYU fans making snarky comments on this article? It was a good win for the Utes, and it shows positively for Coach K. I would surmise that the Utah program is headed in the right direction and that my Cougs had better not look past them.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Dec. 6, 2012 4:03 p.m.

Utah is horrible in basketball right? So why do BYU fans feel the need to come on a Ute hoops thread to dis the program. U of U basketball shouldn't even hit your radar screen because your team is so elite and Utah is merely a fly in your path.

Why so obsessed with such an insignificant b-ball program like Utah?

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Dec. 6, 2012 4:01 p.m.

For those of you scolding Ute fans for not showing up to honor Coach Majerus - trust me, I would have been there if I wasn't currently several time zones away from the Huntsman Center.

Congratulations, Utes! Keep up the hard work, and beat the Cougars this weekend!

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 6, 2012 2:53 p.m.

I have no illusions about the highs and the lows of the U BB program. The programs improvement is tangible.

@sports authority
    What excuses? The Utes have nobody to blame but themselves for their strugles.
    Your link between attendance and respect for coach Majerus is as misplaced as the post I was originally responding to.

• scott Alpine, UT
    Dec. 6, 2012 2:21 p.m.

"As for some of the BYU fan posts, They are consumed by a program that has only just begun the rebuilding process. It can only be taken as a clear acknowledgement from these Y fans that the U is headed in the right direction."

Don't kid yourself. You're 5-2 against the 317th best (er, worst) schedule in the country.

Utah's "rebuilding process" has been going on for so long that most of the kids on the hill were still in grade school when it started.

From a BYU fan's perspective, it's more curiousity, than any sort of acknowledgement, like watching a never-ending train wreck.

The light at the end of the tunnel that you think gives a clear indication that you're headed in the right direction, could easily be another train.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 6, 2012 2:02 p.m.

Embarrassing is your logic, relating attendance with respect for Majerus. Ute Nation will always love RM for what he did for the program. Your attendance smack is weak.

I think Majerus would agree that embarrassing would have been if we Utah lost 76-55.

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 6, 2012 1:55 p.m.

I think the game with the Y will be competitive but the Utes have yet to prove that they can dublicate last nights effort on the road.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    Dec. 6, 2012 1:49 p.m.

What's distasteful is the thousands of Utah fans who packed the Huntsman to watch Utah basketball during its heyday, not even bothering to show up to honor the coach who made that possible.

Your whiny excuses about Utah basketball being in a slump are just that, excuses.

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 6, 2012 1:29 p.m.

You are way off base and your comparison is ridiculous. The Utes are coming out of a historic low point never seen before in the history of the program. Apples to apples, the season after the Y won 1 game and had 200 - 500 people showing up to many of the games you are saying that 20,000 people would flood the MC for a similar occasion? Not only is the comparison distasteful it is not even accurate.
    The only thing embarassing is taking the man's death as an opportunity talk smack about attendance.

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    Dec. 6, 2012 12:59 p.m.

"I love the nervousness you can see in the typing of the trolls today."

The "nervousness" you see is caused by your other teeth chattering with fear.

Even with a ridiculously easy pre-season schedule the Utes are only 5-2 (sorry, nobody counts your exhibition game against a D-III school).

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    Dec. 6, 2012 12:54 p.m.

It's laughable that most of these so-called "fans" who have suddenly rediscovered Utah basketball, haven't stepped foot in the Huntsman for most of the last 5 years.

Unfortunately, their new-found euphoria will soon end and the Huntsman will once again become a ghost town.

• Th Tooele, UT
    Dec. 6, 2012 12:25 p.m.

Utah put it all together last night at the HC. I was great to see!

This group of guys is going to surprise a lot of teams out there remaining on their schedule. That might not equate to a win every night, but you can bet every team on their schedule will earn their win.

College basketball for the most part has a lot of nice systems. This is why BYU is successful with minimal NBA talent. This is why USU is successful with no NBA talent.You can look at many programs across the nation and see this same trend. This is why I believe Utah will be back sooner rather than later. Krystko has a nice system in place. Unfortunately last year he had very little D1 talent on the roster and it showed although at times even they could compete with teams such as Stanford who won the NIT.

Utah will compete Saturday in Provo. They will beat teams like SMU, Cal Northridge, and the rest of the pre-season opponents. I don't believe Utah is "back," but they will turn some heads this year ending with at least 16 wins on the season.

Go Utes

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 6, 2012 11:58 a.m.

I love the nervousness you can see in the typing of the trolls today. Some fun stuff!
    Nice win Utah, that was a fun atmosphere last night ... the big guy himself would've been proud. Keep it rolling forward!

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 6, 2012 11:23 a.m.

The Utes win big in a game that was labeled as a loss by all the byU trolls and now they are all in a frenzy. Love it.

What will they do when the Utes shut down their (2) shooters in the MC come Saturday?

I'll be at the game in red.

Go Utes!

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Dec. 6, 2012 10:54 a.m.

Why would I travel all the way from Phoenix to sit in a sea of empty red chairs?

I just find it curious, and embarrassing for Utah, that Utah basketball fans have become so few that a tribute to Utah's greatest basketball coach ever only half-fills the Huntsman Center.

Guaranteed, if Dave Rose or Stan Watts were being similarly honored at BYU, the Marriott Center would be packed with over 20,000 fans.

• Christy B Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 6, 2012 10:29 a.m.

What a glorious night for our Runnin' Utes!

Nothing can stop us now. The Utes will be undefeated the rest of the season and win the NCAA tourny,

Mark it down!

• Truth Machine Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 6, 2012 9:59 a.m.

Krysto's plan is working and the runnin' Utes are really tearing it up against the 317th toughest SOS in the country.

Time will tell, but the Utes might actually have a basketball team this year.

Dec. 6, 2012 9:46 a.m.

Wow, USAlover, obsess much?

phoenix, if it means so much to you, what section of the Huntsman were you sitting?

Dec. 6, 2012 9:42 a.m.

CougFaninTX, Nice try, but last night's game was already written off as an easy Boise State win last week after they took Michigan State down to the wire in East Lansing and ran #11 Creighton out of their own building.

"Looking at Utah's upcoming schedule, it's very possible that the Utes could lose 4, if not all 5, of their next 5 games:

at Texas San Antonio (only lost to SMU by 3)
    Boise State (just beat #11 Creighton 83-70)
    at BYU (enough said)
    SMU (see last night's game)
    CS Northridge (only lost at BYU 87-75)"

Of course, I shouldn't even need to mention Pa Cute's credibility that he/she doesn't even know Utah's actual schedule (they played at Texas State in San Marcos, not UTSA).

My only hope is that BYU's players become as childish as Boise's were and throw tantrums on the court if Utah gets off to a good start. My guess is it probably won't happen because Dave Rose is a good coach for whom I have a lot of respect. But I know the fans in the Marriott certainly aren't above it, they've shown us that much.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 6, 2012 9:36 a.m.

Oh my gosh, the Utes are awesome now. And we're in the PAC12 and the PAC12 is so awesome. We totally belong in the PAC12. And the PAC12 really wanted us instead of BYU. Did I say we are now in the PAC12?

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 6, 2012 9:29 a.m.

No worries, the crowd will grow in years to come.

It won't be long before every Ute fan alive will be "recalling" the night they were in the Huntsman to watch the tribute to Majerus.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Dec. 6, 2012 9:21 a.m.

Can't even give Utah credit for a good win and a good performance? Wow, and I thought you were a pretty straight shooter.

Nice win by Utah, best win of the season. Hopefully the Utes can keep it up in Provo. The PAC 12 is down this year, so hopefully the Utes can do well in conference play.

GO UTES >---->

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Dec. 6, 2012 9:14 a.m.

Only 7,896 fans in attendance to pay tribute to the greatest basketball coach in Runnin' Utes history?

Dec. 6, 2012 8:44 a.m.

Nice win and a great tribute to Coach!

• Jordan Lynchburg, VA
    Dec. 6, 2012 8:31 a.m.

Thank you for reasoned words, and giving recognition where it is due. I'll do the same; BYU is always at least pretty good, if not really good, and this year they are somewhere in this range yet again. You guys have a great coach and a great program going right now. I hope this game coming up is really competitive and hard fought on both sides!

Is that the best you've got? You can do better than that, really.

Great game by the Utes, I was stoked to be keeping up with it last night! It sounds like they were rocking it defensively, and that they were taking good shots all night, and they were falling! The offense may not be running like that most nights, but if we play with that kind of passion defensively, we'll be a tough team all year! Keep it up, Utes, I'm hoping for a win over the Cougs!

Go Utes!!

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Dec. 6, 2012 7:43 a.m.

Great win by the Utes! For a team that many didn't think will be competitive this year, they sure are making a lot of noise and I couldn't be happier for them. Looking forward to a great game against BYU, for which I hope they loose and then win as many of the rest of their games as they can. I'm pleasantly surprised at the job Coach K is doing with those kids. He's obviously a great catch for the Utes.

Good luck against my Cougars! Actually I'm nervous because I didn't think you'll be this good this fast. May the better team win!

Go Cougs!

Dec. 6, 2012 7:09 a.m.

Great game and great enviornment last night. I loved watching all the Utes on defensive. Gotta bring that intensity every game and we could see some pretty good games. Good luck on saturday.
    Go Utes!!!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Dec. 6, 2012 6:57 a.m.

The warm fuzzy feeling, U are feeling, is about to end with games against BYU, SMU and CSNR. There is no doubt the Utes are "developing" this year, but this is a young, inexperienced team who will struggle in every remaining game except the high school team of College of Idaho. U may get 3 or 4 more wins, but getting to 10 wins for the seaon will be a challenge.

Dec. 6, 2012 6:40 a.m.

Awesome game, guys. Keep it up!

Go Utes!!

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Dec. 6, 2012 4:09 a.m.

It's good to feel good about Ute team again, but mostly I feel good FOR them. When program pride and identity sinks in, teams get better. This Ute squad has a long way to go, but I am happy they played passionately on a night when Rick Majerus was honored. Thank you boys for the effort. And Coach K, you are doing a great job in a tough situation. The University needs you now. One day you will love this job and need the University as well. Thanks coach.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 6, 2012 12:03 a.m.

Really nice win and a proper tribute to the sweater.

Interesting that I got flack for saying the Utes would go 3-2 or even 4-1 through SMU, Texas SA, Boise St, byU, SMU and CS North Ridge. Well, they are 2-1 with SMU and CS NR left at home.

Like I said before, byU will have all they can handle with the Utes at the MC. I love it.

Go Utes!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 5, 2012 11:11 p.m.

Looking good.

Now go take down BYU on Saturday @MC. Huge task on the road but if they play like today they'll beat BYU.

Go UTES!!