Utah

State panel recommends Utah governor get 36.5% pay raise

Comments

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 21, 2015 12:21 a.m.

Who else in Utah gets that kind of pay raise?

• PCRes Park City, UT
    Dec. 8, 2012 8:38 a.m.

This WILL NOT happen. Who appoints these foolish commissions? Time to CUT way back and lets start in Utah and show the country...especially our re-elected spender in chief.

• outdoorwoman Centerville, UT
    Dec. 5, 2012 4:02 p.m.

JDL--Sorry to burst your bubble but the state wage is substantially less than in the private sector. The reason people stay with the state is for job security and the benefits, certainly not the salary. Just ask any state employee and they will varify this.

• outdoorwoman Centerville, UT
    Dec. 5, 2012 3:59 p.m.

I was a state employee for 25 years and recently was laid off due to budget cuts. State employees have gone for years with minimal or no pay rasies at all and losing their jobs. To give the governer this type of pay raise is ludicrous!!!! Especially when state employees are getting laid off due to budget cuts. It was brought out in the article that the higher ups need to pay their bills and have enough to live off. The governor can't live off over $100,000/year salary when the average state employee is living off of $25,000/year? He shouldn't be in charge of state budgets if this is the case. This really makes me mad!!!!!

• mytymouse09 SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 11:03 p.m.

If the governor was just getting his salary, I might be in favor of a slight pay raise, but it is my understanding that we also supply him and his wife with a car, a home, groceries, staff, and not sure what all else. So to have over $100,000 and basically no monthly bills doesn't seem too shabby to me.

• Sqweebie Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 8:50 p.m.

Hey Red - I live on 1300 a month. Wow that's living large - well it would be if I didn't have the bills that I have but they get paid. Rent gets paid after tything, food is bought without foodstamps. We don't go out to eat. Don't even talk about Christmas as it's not happening at my house this year as household expenses come first then the other bills like student loans

the Breast cancer is hereditary in my family so yep good chance I could develop it and not get it from having a mammo. The two family members who died of breast cancer never had a mammogram.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Dec. 4, 2012 7:49 p.m.

VST,

We agree on something. In my opinion---Any state that doesn't balance their budget,--should fire their governor.

Same for our country. Just think of how good our economy would be today.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 7:22 p.m.

As a real estate developer and had been a county commissioner, those offered him more of an opportunity for money. With the $85,000.00 bonus he got as Governor was scrutinized and even though he said he was authorized that, individuals or corporations didn't want to have that happen to them this election. So even though the David Bird group is not from the Governor's office, the group was authorized to make this potential decision and recommendation. All 4 of the top elected top State of Utah officials were recommended for a salary increase. That happened and whether it is the legislature or an executive decision, the Governor and Frugal Dougall would have known about that recommendation before the Press. The Auditor who is not an auditor would probably know the process to do anything about that as he is not in office, technically. He ran on conservative values and fiscal responsibility. A 36.5 percent increase would be a very good amount of money. This is not a one-time bonus of $85,000.00 but is a significant amount when compared to the economy. Utah is a conservative and fiscally responsible state except for some executive officers.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 6:50 p.m.

Say what? Is he a hedge fund manager?

• RichardB Murray, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 3:51 p.m.

In this economy? The State panel needs to re-sign, give back their pay, and let the citizens find someone living in the real world.

• airnaut Everett, 00
    Dec. 4, 2012 3:04 p.m.

all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others....

• David G Woolley Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 2:47 p.m.

Paul Scholes:

I stand by my comment. We can cut salaries in government and higher education in half and still
    maintain the same level of competency. From the freedom of information pages, all of which you can view here:

Utahsright dot com slash salaries

I present only a few of the public salary listings at the University of Utah. This is ridiculous if not obscene. And the listings go on for thousands of employees.

Kyle D Whittingham Coach, Major Sport/press, $1,949,790
    Jayant Agarwal, Assistant Professor, ACADEMIC, $859,165
    Douglas Clyde Barnhart, Associate Professor, ACADEMIC, $858,834
    Eric R. Scaife, Associate Professor, ACADEMIC, $842,268

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Dec. 4, 2012 2:40 p.m.

VST,

California is a bigger state, so the demands are higher. In that light, the Utah governor is grossly over paid. Should the Rhode Island governor get the same pay as New York? In my opinion, any state with deficit spending should vote them out, but that just doesn't happen.

"One Young/Old Man"--try reading USA today.

Sixty percent of our national debt has come within the passed three and a half years. Obama wants to add another 1.6 trillion dollars for just nest year. Why do you defend that? Please explain yourself.

• ksampow Farr West, Utah
    Dec. 4, 2012 1:37 p.m.

This year, as in many recent years, there was no salary increase for teachers and state employees, and we actually LOST money because the employees have to cover a much higher percentage of our insurance costs.

• OLD-GUY Central, Utah
    Dec. 4, 2012 1:07 p.m.

It looks like most agree that it should be no raise or even a cut.

The last figures I seem to remember is that the present salary is well above the average for the State, certainly well above mine.

It is no secret that I have not given Herber high marks on certain things during his administration. When I sat down at a yearly review with each of my employees, our conversation revolved on how merit (how well they met my expectations) some were above average and were rewarded, most were average, and some were warned that they had to improve. If I had sat down with Herbert there would certainly been some areas where I felt he needed improvement (and no raise.)

If the 36% were implemented, it would mean the full salary for say a State Parks worker that was dismissed because of budget limitations or a welcome raise to many *workers* who receive much lower pay.

I don't think I would give the others that kind of raise either.

• justamacguy Manti, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 11:53 a.m.

Let me see. You take away or reduce all the other public employees retirement and health benefits. You freeze other state workers salaries. And when you do give them a salary bump it is below the rate of inflation. This would be a travesty!

• #1 Champ Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 11:31 a.m.

HAHA!! So predictable. I just knew the comment world (the peanut gallery) would just hash this report.

• Screwdriver Casa Grande, AZ
    Dec. 4, 2012 11:24 a.m.

haha. That was a good chuckle. We got punked right?

• bricha lehi, ut
    Dec. 4, 2012 11:14 a.m.

Before we all go raid the Governors home lets slow down and think for a minute. Gov. Herbert isn't the one saying he wants the raise. According to this article he had nothing to do with the decision, it was an INDEPENDENT PANEL. If you want to rant and rave, rant and rave at the panel not the Governor!

• JayTee Sandy, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 10:55 a.m.

I may have missed something, but when he was running for office, I didn't see anyone holding a gun to his head. If he didn't like the pay, he should have opted out and let someone else take the job. I agree there are a myriad of people out there who would do the job for a fraction of the pay, and I dare say do a better job as well. We seem to think that anyone who holds a high position got there because of their own skill and ability--and often, nothing could be further from the truth. People who run public monopolies (government agencies, school districts, utilities, UTA, etc.) can do a horrible job, and because they're the only game in town, it goes largely unnoticed and unchallenged. Many would run for that office just for the networking, prestige, title, benefits, etc. I don't think Herbert will quit just because we fail to give him what some of his associates think is required.

• Garand Ivins, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 10:21 a.m.

I too appreciate what the Govenor has done for the state of Utah. However, he should not get a pay raise that exceeds that of teachers! Fix education first.
    Garand

• Fern RL LAYTON, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 10:13 a.m.

As long as there are more than two or three people running for public office, we must be paying them enough to make it worth it--or, they are altruistic, independently wealthy folks, which is also good.

What we should have is a system whereby the computer can spit out the wage our public servants deserve based on factors such as average wages of constituents minus an unemployment rate factor--things that really make a difference to the people our officials supposedly represent.

Cut out the commissions that make these wage recommendations and let the incentive for making good government hit the governor and others in their own pocketbooks. When the economy improves, they get their raise along with everyone else.

Last I heard, it makes no difference, Red or Blue, local or national, all politicians want their wages guaranteed.

• airnaut Everett, 00
    Dec. 4, 2012 10:10 a.m.

Quoting from the book Animal Farm --

The Pigs are in the Farmhouse.

As I recall -- Republican darling Mitt Romney skipped his pay as Governor.
    And I never heard Jon Huntsman Jr. compaining.

I guess some see being a Govenor as being an honor, a privledge, a chance to SERVE.

If you want CEO pay, go be a CEO.

And I second the motion someone mentioned of putting it up to a public vote!

• not here COLORADO SPRINGS, CO
    Dec. 4, 2012 9:54 a.m.

You people have no room to complain you are the ones that voted for the big red R. Now don't you wish that you would have not voted strait ticket? Think about that before you vote again.

• dalefarr South Jordan, Utah
    Dec. 4, 2012 9:42 a.m.

This is what happens when a compensation committee is appointed with governmental lobbysts as members. The back scratching continues.

• airnaut Everett, 00
    Dec. 4, 2012 9:42 a.m.

1. Assure my re-election.
    2. AFTER the election, announce a proposed whopping 36% pay increase, but humbly settle for 1/2 that of ONLY 18%
    3. Laugh at the lemming sheeple of this State who fell for it so easily -- AGAIN!

Yep, Do as I say - not as I do.
    Amazing the kinds of crooked things you can get away with when you have a ONE-Party political system!

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 9:26 a.m.

worf writes: "With everything factored in, it costs tax payers one and a half billion dollars a year to keep Obama going. He is by far the the most costly president ever."

Is it asking too much to request that he provide us with some reliable documentation of that claim?

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 9:26 a.m.

This Governor didn't even know or realize our graduation rate was low but just as President Obama on Benghazi said, "We will get to the bottom of this" and find out what happened.

Our state has listened to him campaiging for 3 years about how great the state is doing. We have had very fiscally minded governors in the past. He knew what the salary was before he ran for office and could have handed it over to the Cooke-Rampton team and I would picture David Bird's group would not have recommended 36+% to a Democrat.

What happened to frugal Dougall? Would he get in there with his high salary and recommend that there be an audit and take away the increase?

Teachers and other state of Utah based employees deserve some of the piece of the pie. Public school teachers and school administrators get blamed for the low graduation rate but the Governor gets a 36+% salary increase and doesn't know. $85,000 bonus for his campaign was fair?

He isn't starting next term with a positive note. All 4 State elected officials knew what they were getting into and now a bonus for 4-years for winning?

• Third try screen name Mapleton, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 9:17 a.m.

My wife is recommending that I get a 36% pay raise, too.
    And that would still not put my salary at what I was making five years ago.
    Times are tough. Why should the elites get cushy raises?
    If they want to feel our pain they need to live in the real world.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Dec. 4, 2012 9:06 a.m.

So why not give big chunks of raises for all our political leaders? Under the guise of infrastructure, education, and helping the poor, they're so good with balancing budgets.

• Red Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 9:05 a.m.

Sqweebie,

Mammograms are the causing cancer. They should absolutely be eliminated.

As for pay raises? That seems like a pretty big leap. Kind of thumbs the nose of all of us who are working just as hard and happy to just have a job.

It is not your right to live so large. You will survive just like the rest of us.

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 8:58 a.m.

Owl,

Believe it or not, and contrary to popular GOP mythology, money is not the sole motivating factor behind human ambition. Many people, myself included, are motivated by a variety of factors besides just money. Public offices should be held by people who's motivation is public service, not monetary gain.

Raises for politicians should always be on the ballot, the voters are the boss and we should decide what they get. I would gladly vote them a 1-2% raise, 36.5% is ridiculous.

• DVD Taylorsville, 00
    Dec. 4, 2012 8:55 a.m.

While on one hand, we do want the available pool of people seeking office to be wider than the independently wealthy, on the other hand, the budget for raises needs to be considered against what other changes ought to be in our state government in order to keep it from collapsing due to a lack of skilled personnel.

• staypuffinpc Provo, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 8:53 a.m.

So, the governor is earning around $110,000 currently. I'm not sure raising his salary to $150,000 would be more of an incentive for those not independently wealthy to run for governor. If anything, the lower salary might give the independently wealthy pause when thinking about running for office. That said, $110,000 isn't a ton of money for one with so much responsibility, despite what many on here believe. However, you do have to take into account all the other benefits when looking at the job, which are myriad in this case. A pay raise is likely justified, but it's unlikely to be as extreme as the panel recommends.

I wonder how much money was wasted on this panel. That in itself was probably more than the recommended pay raise.

• happylife OREM, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 8:52 a.m.

"'Our concern was that the salaries ought to be at a level where you didn't have to be independently wealthy to seek the jobs,' said Roger Tew, commission chairman."
    How out of touch can you possibly be? How many citizens could do this job for $50,00 - $60,000 a year and live comfortably? How many citizens who are paying these outrageous salaries earn far, far less than what they currently make right now? I think that these arrogant, self-serving politicians should have a salary and benefits package that is 10% less than what teachers make. Even that would be a gross overpayment according to their worth.

• OneAmerican Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 4, 2012 8:16 a.m.

I see they've done in Utah what they did in Idaho...let an appointed panel decide whether elected officials should get a pay raise, thus taking the heat off of themselves for recommended pay increases or simply just raising their own pay outright. I have NEVER seen one of these panels recommend no pay raise. I guess it's still not as bad as DC where they get a 4% increase every year unless they vote not to. And of course that 4% amount gets bigger every year because it's always 4% of number that keeps getting bigger. Don't we all wish we could get that kind of deal? How about the voters get to vote every 2 years on pay raises for elected officials. After all, aren't WE the boss?

• Wyomex Burlington, WY
    Dec. 4, 2012 8:07 a.m.

@ Owl

"If we pay them the "average" we will have average people in office.

Everything does not relate to money - particularly competency. We have excellent teachers who are paid less than "average." We have lackluster professionals (and politicians) that are paid more than "average."

Governor Herbert is much better than average. But, as an elected official, he represents the average voter that elected him. With all due respect, his personal expenses should be no higher than the average person since the state pays much of what would be considered "personal expenses."

When I travel, I pay for it. When he travels, the state pays for it. When I entertain, I pay for it. When he does, the state does. Nearly every meal I eat, I pay for. A lot of his meals, you and I pay for. When I buy a new pair of shoes, I pay for them and so does he, so we are on common ground here (pun intended.)

If "average" pay attracted "average" competency, then most of Congress would be on welfare!

• DEW Sandy, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 8:06 a.m.

@leqele
    Or better, no pay raise and fund it to students. "Never Leave Child Behind". Teacher do spend their own money for students needs and knowing teachers won't get anything in return (or pat in the back). The district cut back many things and some days teachers work with no earning when kids have a day off.

Really 36% raise? Is Hubert related to John English (former uta) with some over $200,000 annual pension pay?

• Bill McGee Alpine, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 7:50 a.m.

I will support a pay raise for Herbert when our teachers aren't ranked 48th in terms of salary, and we aren't dead last in per-pupil spending. And not just a little bit last - we spend over $700 LESS per student than the next lowest state, resulting in an abysmal rate of only 74% of students graduating from high school (we are ranked a disappointing 33rd place in the US.)

• JDL Magna, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 7:25 a.m.

This is not the time to be suggesting elected office holders get large increases in pay. I'm not sure it's even appropriate to suggest modest increases of 1%. We have been fed the line and for the most part have embraced the sentiment that we are entitled to things we have not earned or because we are employed by government we're essential to human survival.

Alternate suggests Gov Herbert find money for his legions of workers before they flee to the private sector and state services suffer. The reason government workers stay put is because the private sector cannot pay the same salaries they enjoy in government employ. I know many more people vying for the coveted government job compared to getting out of government.

leqele is crying the blues because privately (tax) funded workers have not seen large enough increases for several years. Oh cry me a river.

These are tough times and soon to get tougher. State services need to suffer and be streamlined or eliminated altogether. Just because it's a government job doesn't mean it's mission critical.

Tax based feeding at the public trough is not (as the progressives say) sustainable.

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 7:25 a.m.

The workman is worthy of his hire. Utah is very well run and the responsible officials (the governor) should be compensated. The personal expenses of a governor are high. Public service is not a religious vocation. If we pay them "the average" we will have average people in office.

• TOO Sanpete, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 7:16 a.m.

After working my rear off for my company--cleaning private areas, taking care of old people, doing everything imaginable to help an older person in a care home--after one year I got a 1% increase. Woopdy do.

How about giving this pay raise to the people who actually make the economy function gov--the regular citizens.

• dave4197 Redding, CA
    Dec. 4, 2012 7:02 a.m.

What a travesty of judgement! But on to a constructive comment. The gov and his leader buddies need to first give pay raises to teaching teachers (not researchers, not admin's) and to the rank and file workers in state and local organizations. After teachers become paid fairly when compared with other nearby states, then the gov and his leader buddies can begin to consider a slight pay increase for themselves.
    Teachers first, if there's going to be any pay raise at all! ! !
    Upper echelons later ! ! !

C'mon people, govern, don't grab.

• Is there no end to Greed? Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 6:40 a.m.

Perhaps if we cut state worker pay, we can accommodate this higher pay for the higher ups.

I respect governor Herbert. I imagine he embarrassed by this pay raise proposal.

• Paul Scholes Provo, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 6:38 a.m.

David, do you really think that if you cut the pay of say the dean of business school at Weber State to less than $80k per year we would have an equal if not greater degree of competency? Many of your arguments are logical but I fear you go too far.

• Ranch Here, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 6:34 a.m.

If they can't "get by" on the salaries that they currently have, perhaps they should find other work. I agree with others here, as long as the state continues denying other state employees raises and cutting the jobs of state employees, they have absolutely no business giving themselves a raise.

• Wyomex Burlington, WY
    Dec. 4, 2012 6:23 a.m.

Salary of elected officials should be the average income of those represented.

Current benefits, like health insurance, travel, etc., should match the private sector.

Retirement benefits, including Medicare and Social Security, should be the same as those voted on for retirees.

• IJ Hyrum, Ut
    Dec. 4, 2012 6:00 a.m.

Amen to all of your posts! So they don't need to be independently wealthy to run for office. How is raising the pay going to help them run for office? Can they borrow against what the will make "if" they are elected. This is something that needs to be on a ballot so that all the people can be represented, not just a few wealthy people who want to make others in their influential cirle more of the same. And really! 36.5%! when was the last time anybody was given a raise like that from an employer? They must be trippin'.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 5:55 a.m.

Agree with the first comment. This proposal is going to be very unpopular.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 5:54 a.m.

Absolutely ludicrous.

How much did this (insert appropriate adjective) panel get paid for the study?

• cambodia girl Phnom Penh, Cambodia
    Dec. 4, 2012 5:35 a.m.

I agree, that no one in an elected position, "A Servant of the People," should be getting a pay raise during this time in our economy. If there are funds available they should be donated to the National Debt. Does anyone have a total figure of how much that would be?

Will any of our comments matter? What do we need to do to stop this madness?

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 4:28 a.m.

Are the people who recommended this the same people who recommend that CEO's get 400+ times what their workers get paid?

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 4:17 a.m.

I'd rather see teacher and police pay raised.

• CP Tooele, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 3:45 a.m.

That is crazy! We are barely making ends meet so why should the govorner's and other state officials pockets become so full! That is so wrong and very selfish! They should think about who they really work for..it's us the regular hard working people who are lucky to even get a 1% raise a year!

• Sqweebie Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 12:39 a.m.

No pay raise period. they just made another cut to medicaid-pcn program - it will no longer cover mammograms. Mammos are seen as preventative care in at least that if caught early can save thousands of dollars in healthcare costs. They should also stop provided pragnancy insurance while they're at it for pregnancy. If you have the money to have a child then you have the money and the means to pay for the medical bill that comes with it. Pregnancy is preventable - cancer is not and when cancer is caught early it can be cured for a lot less money than it will cost to care for the person who ends up in the hospital bedridden because of it.

• David G Woolley Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 3, 2012 11:41 p.m.

As much as I like the Governor, he is not the CEO of a private company where, should he make a decision that comprises the fiscal health of the enterprize, he also risks losing his own job. With all due respect, if our elected officials make horrible decisions, they get to keep their job until, at least another four years. And more if they manage to avoid taking responsibility for their actions. In the private sector, the CEO would be terminated before the next working day ended. The job of governor is so far on the other extreme from the daily risk-taking of leaders in the private sector as to make the suggestion to raise the salary laughable. The same SHOULD be said for university presidents and a slew of other over-compensated employees of local, state, and federal government entities. No Salary Increase. Not this year. Next year. Or in the coming decade. There are thousands of Utahns who could fill those positions with as much competency, if not more, and take half the pay. This is the insanity of the modern, debt-driven, fiat currency society we live in.

• Old ball coach Sandy, UT
    Dec. 3, 2012 10:47 p.m.

They should donate back toward education.....good thing Obama will take a cut!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 3, 2012 10:44 p.m.

Seriously? A 36%(!) pay raise? In our current economy? At any time? You have GOT to be kidding me. We're talking about a looming 'fiscal cliff', employers cutting back hours because they say they won't be able to afford healthcare, record unemployment, etc.

Yeah, this is going to sit will with the general public--you know, us common folk that struggle to take care of our own families while also providing the salaries of our 'public' servants. Good grief.

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 3, 2012 10:33 p.m.

I agree with Leqele. Teachers and State employees received a 1% pay raise last year. That was sandwiched between several years of no pay raises.

That combined with severe benefit cuts, the State will continue to lose good workers. Many are already gone because of forced cutbacks and or finding better jobs in the private sector. Anymores more losses and State services will suffer.

I believe Gov Herbert now must give a show of support by finding money for his legions of workers. Even before himself and his agency directors.

• Ronald Mortensen Bountiful, Utah
    Dec. 3, 2012 10:12 p.m.

Elected officials are public servants, not CEOs or career employees of a for profit organization.

As public servants, they should serve for several years and then return to their chosen professions.

Compensation should only cover their living expenses and health insurance while they are in office. They should not receive taxpayer funded retirement benefits with the possible exception of contributions to a portable 401(k) type program while they are in office nor should they receive any other benefits such as lifetime health insurance once they leave office.

• leqele Woods Cross, UT
    Dec. 3, 2012 10:10 p.m.

I think he should get the same pay raise he got for teachers and state employees over the last few years. 1%. They deserve it just as much as he does. But, as everyone has been told its not in the budget. So it is not in the budget to give the state leaders a raise until their bring compensation of the state employees to pre-2007 levels.