Family

Gender equality at home doesn't protect against divorce, study says

Comments

• Hunam Layton, UT
    Dec. 6, 2012 11:25 a.m.

This is probably sexist, but here goes...

I know why it is possible to get a divorce after doing housework for my wife... for one thing, I always do it wrong. She thinks of the house as hers even if she's not keeping it the way she wants, and so any change of the house is a reflection on her. If I say, I'm going to clean the house, she thinks I'm saying, "I'm sick of you and I'm going to clean you up." At least that's how my wife sees it sometimes. I think it's a female tendency to think this way, but I could be wrong.

• bandersen Saint George, UT
    Dec. 5, 2012 9:08 a.m.

If doing the right thing means cleaning the toilet, do it; If doing the right things means smiling at your wife as you leave the door to go golfing, do it! In either case, once you come to the conclusion that it is impossible to change or please your wife, you've got the makings of a pretty good marraige.

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 7:25 p.m.

Agree with the Swede. The question is not what they do, but why they do it. Perhaps marriages in which husbands do an equal amount of work have other issues. Regardless guys, get in there are clean the toilet.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 12:35 p.m.

@andy
    alright I did it, now do you have a couch for me to sleep on, thanks a lot.

• Swedish reader Stockholm, Sweden
    Dec. 4, 2012 10:52 a.m.

I suspect that if couples who divide housework equally are more at risk of divorce, it is because of the mindset that equality is about doing the exact samt amount of the exakt same things, which tends to pit you againt each other. The thing that would keep you together is when you are a WE, helping each other and working together. If one person has to do all the hard (or boring) things, you're not a WE - nor are you a WE when you're like children using a ruler to make sure there is as much lemonade in everyone's glass, crying "UNFAIR" if it isn't EXACTLY the same. The key to avoiding divorce is not a checklist, it's being a team and putting each other's well being firt.

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    Dec. 3, 2012 4:04 p.m.

I challenge everyone to tell their significant other about this study tonight.... we'll see how well it goes.