Utah

A secret way to watch oodles of movies for free, and you'll never guess what it is

Comments

• tree Myrtle Creek, OR
    Dec. 1, 2012 3:29 p.m.

Thank you Tennor! I totallllly love this movie and love the way it was presented on your web site. It ends just right! I did not know it was there and shared it with my family so they could watch it.

• Mark from Montana Aurora, CO
    Nov. 30, 2012 8:55 a.m.

I am always checking garage sales for VHS tapes. I have a VCR in my garage that I run movies on while working on various projects. No DVD players to ruin with dust, plus the TV is old so cannot take anything but the basic connections. VHS is a great way to go...no strike that, it is terrible, a waste of time. Don't bother trying it as it doesn't work.

Stay away from my tapes.

• azgal Buckeye, AZ
    Nov. 29, 2012 7:31 p.m.

I thought this article was going to be about the library! I love free movies from the library (oops I shouldn't have said that. Now there'll be more competition for the movies I do want to watch there...)

• SS MiddleofNowhere, Utah
    Nov. 29, 2012 5:49 p.m.

Amen, who wants to watch a terrible film just because it is free? Like most things in life, you get what you put into it. Or in cases purchasing items, you get what you pay for. Free in the commercial world usually means trash.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Nov. 29, 2012 5:26 p.m.

Anyone who doesn't think a little kid can mess up a VHS tape has never had children.

• SillyRabbit Layton, 00
    Nov. 29, 2012 5:00 p.m.

Scott12345

Let's say 100% of your property tax goes to library funding. For me, that's $1,546 per annum.

$1546 / 365 = $4.24 per day

DVDs check out for 2 weeks from Davis Co. Library, I believe.

In this scenario, two weeks for 1 DVD would be $59.36. That's slightly outrageous, but we did use an outrageous number, and the assumption that we use the library for just one DVD.

Let's use your $100 estimate:

$100 / 365 = $0.27 per day

One DVD for 2 weeks at $0.27 per day = $3.78

The main point being that you'll get more out of your "prepaid" library dollars if you use the library often, and make a point of returning your items responsibly. The more items you check out, the more you get out of your contribution.

But, of course, then the government knows what you're reading and watching and they will keep a file on all of it on a server that will be built in that new government building near Thanksgiving point.

Or they aren't that interested in knowing. Given the funding that libraries do get, I'm betting the latter.

• Mormoncowboy Provo, Ut
    Nov. 29, 2012 4:27 p.m.

I suppose I could eat garbage too! It's free. People put their junk out on the street every night, and much of it is edible. That's right, the secret to eating free is to eat garbage. What a wonderful idea. Thanks for this!

• Downtime Saint George, UT
    Nov. 29, 2012 3:22 p.m.

What a waste of space. I knew it was too good to be true. I wish I wouldn't have clicked on the story.

• Scott12345 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 29, 2012 3:03 p.m.

"Free" movies at the library - only because we all pay $100 or so in property taxes every year to support the county library system - let's change that word to "prepaid" movies at the local public library.

• rogerdpack Orem, UT
    Nov. 29, 2012 1:53 p.m.

I've heard it's a fun date idea to go to DI and get a random VHS and watch it for fun :)

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Nov. 29, 2012 1:39 p.m.

The local public library is another source of FREE movies.

• Hordak Lehi, UT
    Nov. 29, 2012 1:34 p.m.

Not a bad idea. For me, the biggest incentive for switching to DVD was that I didn't have to waste time rewinding the tape. Most DVDs nowadays force you to view the FBI warning and piracy statements and sometimes even some previews. And with the delay in opening and closing the disk drive and in reading the digital signatures, I wonder how much time savings we're still getting. At least we have the bonus features and deleted scenes to make it all still worth it :)

• Tennor Orem, UT
    Nov. 29, 2012 1:32 p.m.

There is always a free movie online at Liken.TV.

• SillyRabbit Layton, 00
    Nov. 29, 2012 1:22 p.m.

No, no.

While a simple idea can be a great idea, the notion of spending the time to find and watch VHS because they are free or cheap just sounds like a signpost on the way to a hoarding mentality.

I understand that's the way with anything taken to the extreme.

But do you really want to watch whatever esoteric movie you found at the garage sale that much?