Utah Democratic Party's LDS caucus calls for a day of fasting and prayer

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Dec. 2, 2012 5:10 p.m.

To peacemaker 1:27 p.m. Nov. 28, 2012

Difficult to believe That so many have not taken the time or else just don't care about the character and background of the man who was just elected to be President of a God fearing nation. We should pray that our standards will be maintained and beliefs will not falter in these difficult times. Past performance is the best indicator of future behavior.

That is exactly why I couldn't vote for Romney. I did not want someone as dishonest and untruthful, and as unconcerned about anyone not a member of the mega-wealthy 1%, as Romney's words and actions proved him to be. I cast a write-in vote for Hunsman -- the only decent candidate in the 2012 field.

• Rick2009 MESA, AZ
    Dec. 2, 2012 10:38 a.m.

I have prayed for our leaders since the election like the First Presidency has asked us to do. But the taste in my mouth after the pray has been hard to take as I watch our beloved country go down the tubes not because of decisiveness but because of unrighteousness. It is both the Democrats and the Republicans that are to blame. The press does not help either. I have faith in my prayers except for the part dealing with our leaders. It will take a few years but we will begin to see what our mistakes have cost us.

• LeAnn Saint George, UT
    Dec. 2, 2012 9:02 a.m.

Too bad the Dems took the word "God" out of their platform. I could take this more seriously if all that hadn't happened. But believe me I've been praying for this nation. I do believe GOD has a plan, but if we, as a nation, don't return to His teachings, we will fall into destruction.

• play by the rules SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Dec. 1, 2012 6:06 p.m.

If Utah LDS Dems read a little bit of the writings of Ezra Taft Benson they would no longer espouse the party of communist socialism and spreading the wealth around. It was not so long ago that he was their prophet. Interesting how quickly some can forget the inspired counsel they were given.

• Mister J Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 1, 2012 3:51 p.m.

in regards to 79Ute (11.28 3:32 pm)...

What about ones that went to Miami of Ohio, Eastern Illinois, Baylor, USC, & Florida?

Those that went to Wisconsin, Texas A & M, Arizona, Okla St, & Auburn are okay.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Dec. 1, 2012 3:44 p.m.

lost in DC 12:07 p.m. Nov. 28, 2012

"You cannot be pro-choice WITHOUT favoring abortion."

What about the people who will never chose to have or be be affected by abortion?

There will eventually be consequences/reckoning for those who chose to abort. That, however, is between individual X & their higher power. Not Ralph Reed, Sarah Palin, Sean Hannity, organized religion, congress, SCOTUS, etc...

• coleman51 Orem, UT
    Dec. 1, 2012 9:19 a.m.

Bipartisonship usually means to a Democrat that Republicans lower their standards so as to come to a consensus that lacks moral certitude, does not solve the debt crisis, and that punishes small businesses. The Democrats have a lot of rhetoric but no solutions other than disastrous ones that will ruin our country. I will pray and fast for leaders that will stand firm against raising taxes rather than lower spending, that affirms our allegiance ultimately to God rather than push forward a secular agenda, and that supports a pro-growth agenda for small businesses rather than a punishing redistribution of wealth that creates a permanent under-class.

• timpClimber Provo, UT
    Dec. 1, 2012 7:17 a.m.

How about praying that both Democrats and Republicans will get serious about solving the debt crisis? If it's not solved we will all be praying for financial relief from our burdens.

• killpack Sandy, UT
    Nov. 30, 2012 5:07 p.m.

Your original point was: "What most women want is for MEN and politicians to butt out of women's healthcare decisions." I said that indeed, I don't want anything to do with women's healthcare. Leave me out of it. I'm not sure what war has to do with women's health (point #1) but in response to points #2 and #3, I don't care what contraceptives are used for or what they cost! It isn't my business! Remember? I want the same you want. And women. That is, I want to butt out of women's healthcare decisions. The question is, will you let me?

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 30, 2012 5:19 a.m.

@Cinci Man
    "When the coice is removed, just as is the case of rape and incest, I am for choice, just as you are."

Republican party platform allows for no exceptions. Ryan supports no exceptions. Romney in a debate and in an interview to Huckabee (Personhood amendment support) said no exceptions. You are for limited choice, the party is not.

"since the National Democrat party booed God during the convention"

No, they booed the party leadership for ignoring their vote and just doing whatever they wanted when it was clearly at least too close to call without a formal counting of hands/support, but that detail would just get in the way of your talking point now wouldn't it?

"Obama was re-elected by large group of enormously illiterate americans! "

How'd Obama do in Alabama, Mississippi and South Carolina?

"Tell Harry Reid to apologize for lying about Romney's taxes. "

Actually it came out a few days before the election that Romney was using the LDS church as a tax shelter and avoided large amounts of taxes that way (not charitable contributions but as a quirky trust loophole that was later closed).

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Nov. 29, 2012 6:46 p.m.

LDS Democrats in Utah, eh? Wow! Don't personally know any (ha ha). I'm pro-choice. I believe that once you have made the choice, as in get preggers, you live with your choice and have the kid, because the choice has been made. Then you give the kid up for adoption.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Nov. 29, 2012 5:11 p.m.

Abortion is legal in the U.S.
    However, the Hyde Amendment prohibits the use of federal funds for abortion services (except in cases of rape, incest and life/health issues). However, states have the option to fund abortion service or not. Most private insurers provide abortion coverage. When the exchanges begin operating in 2014, some states will ban all abortion coverage entirely for any plan selling on that state’s exchange. Doing so is allowed by a state "opt-out" clause that is part of the health care law. Beyond that, every state must offer at least one plan on its exchange that doesn’t cover abortion. In addition, no private insurer will be forced to cover abortion.

#1. Why should anybody pay for wars/disease/education that they don't cause or support? Answer that and you'll have the answer to your question.

#2. Women need contraceptives for a variety of reasons, not just sexual activity.

#3. Contraceptives save money. Studies show that for every dollar spent on prevention (contraceptives) it saves $2-$6. Texas cut $73 million from state family planning services, the increase in unplanned pregnancies ended up costing $230 million.

• hermounts Pleasanton, CA
    Nov. 29, 2012 5:04 p.m.

The fact that LDS people even need their own caucus in the Utah Democratic Party speaks volumes about how the values of the LDS Church and those of the Democratic Party fit together (or don't).

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 29, 2012 5:02 p.m.

I don't oppose prayer, but I do oppose what is being prayed for. Democrats should return to their New Deal roots, and if the consequence is going over the "fiscal cliff" so be it. Remember "Do what is right and let the consequence follow."

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 29, 2012 1:45 p.m.

I like how you seem to think that women should have the right to force men to help pay for their abortions, force private insurers to pay for their abortions and birth control, but men shouldn't have any right to refuse to do so.

Hypocrisy they name is "truth"seeker, feminst, and democrat.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 29, 2012 1:36 p.m.

what problem do you have with me?

If your comment had nothing to do with abortion, why did you respond to my initial post, which was about - abortion?

you can maintain that 4+7=2,738,654, but that does not make it so.

But I do agree with you that MSNBC is mindless drivel.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 29, 2012 1:31 p.m.

I've been fasting and praying ever since the election that obama won't stick it to us even more than he already has. I'll join in on this next one with the exact same prayer as I've had for the last month.

• BSU BRONCO!! Rigby, ID
    Nov. 29, 2012 12:22 p.m.

All the Prayer and fasting isnt going to do any good. You guys re-elected the man that will destroy America as Prophesied all we can do know is prpare for the worse!!

• LDSareChristians Anchorage, AK
    Nov. 29, 2012 10:17 a.m.

I find it a bit incredulous that they are calling on LDS to fast and pray on a day they already fast and pray.

If you are calling for a special fast, shouldn't one make it on some other day, then the regularly scheduled monthly fast?

I participated in the Church's regular monthly fast on 4 Nov and did a special fast on the 6th. (FYI, I wasn't aware of any emails asking for a fast for the election until this read)

• Claudio Springville, Ut
    Nov. 29, 2012 10:15 a.m.

I don't watch MSNBC. In fact, I don't own a TV. I have better things to do that watch mindless drivel. I still maintain that my comment had nothing to do with abortion and I had no intention to include that in my previous comment. I also must add that I never disputed the fact that with choice comes consequences and that a part of making a choice is choosing to accept that consequence.

So tell me, what exactly IS the issue you have with me?

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Nov. 29, 2012 9:00 a.m.

When Romney was defeated despite a lot of fasting and prayer in some places, could it have been God letting us all know that she is really a Democrat?

Kind of reminds me of the story of the old Southern Baptist preacher whose prayer was answered when an angel was sent to him from Heaven. The angel said he was here to answer any question the minister might have. The preacher asked, "What is God REALLY like?"

The angel didn't quite know how to answer that and finally told the old man to sit down for the answer. Then the angel told him, "Well, for starters, She's Black."

I kind of think God is pretty much apolitical.

• killpack Sandy, UT
    Nov. 29, 2012 8:54 a.m.

A woman's healthcare decisions are none of my business! Absolutely! So why did Sandra Fluke make it my business by saying that I have to pay for some woman's birth control that I don't even know?!?! I am a lower class, middle aged male. I have bills to pay that I can barely afford, let alone the taxes I pay to a corrupt government so they can by some woman's birth control medicine. I worry everyday about losing my minimum wage job because my employer might make cuts to compensate for Obamacare which is soon to take effect. Now, when I go to Denny's, I'll have to pay a 5% Obamacare surcharge. Believe me, you don't have to tell me a woman's reproductive health is none of my business. But please tell it to Sandra Fluke and Barack Obama, because they are the ones involving me in something I have absolutely NO INTEREST in being involved in.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 29, 2012 8:29 a.m.

Let me ask you from which LDS pulpit you heard read a statement in support of unrestricted, federally funded abortions?

I am confused by your statement that my comment is bashing someone just because they are a dem. But I cannot in good conscience be united with a group that calls for unrestricted abortion.

Nice distortion; learn that from MSNBC? And of course your comment, while not specifically naming it, included abortion. Nice attempt at obfuscation. With choice comes consequences. The choice to engage in irresponsible sexual activity brings the risk of pregnancy. Those who’ve made the choice need to bear the consequence. Anything else is “sin a little and if so be we are guilty, God will beat us with a few stripes, but we shall be saved at the last day”

• facelifter PROVO, UT
    Nov. 29, 2012 8:08 a.m.

I believe in fasting and praying. This week is fast Sunday and I will be fasting and praying that President Obama will have a change of heart and become bi-partisan, less divisive and more willing to compromise. I will pray that that he will not try to bankrupt the country and destroy our common defense. I will pray that he will reverse his executive order to undermine the 1st Amendment to the Constitution (Freedom of Religion). Yes, I will be praying for him with all my heart that he will begin to understand basic economics, foreign policy, energy policy and tax policy. I will pray that he will look at the one party systems in California, Illinois and Utah governments and see whether liberal or conservative policies, whether bankruptcy or fiscal responsibility, better promote the general welfare. I pray that his eyes may be opened and his ears will hear. But then again, One Old Man, what do you think the chances are of my prayers being answered? This begs the question: Is God a Democrat or is Obama really God?

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Nov. 28, 2012 11:02 p.m.

What I said: "she never talks about herself or her own needs,"

She doesn't. Perhaps she doesn't currently need contraceptives but thinks she might in the future. We don't know from her statement if she is currently using contraceptives or has even ever had sex. She could be celibate for all we know, but has seen the health consequences of her women friends not having access to contraceptives and decided to speak out.

What most women want is for MEN and politicians to butt out of women's healthcare decisions. Until and unless men's reproductive systems become the same as women it is not their place to determine what women should and should not have access to. I would recommend you take up the issue of the double-standard of male promiscuity and explain why society accepts loose morals from men and/or start a movement for celibacy among men.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 8:53 p.m.

"just elected to be President of a God fearing nation"

Now is this the same nation that booed God during the DNC??? That same party now own's both the White House and the Senate. Hmmm, I wonder if God will offer His protection and prosperity to a nation led by atheists?? What do ya think?

• Reid Mortensen East Alton, IL
    Nov. 28, 2012 8:46 p.m.

I like the idea of ending the divisiveness, just wondering if Harry Reid is planning on joining the Utah Dems in their fast?

• Doug S Lindon, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 6:40 p.m.

Truthseeker -

First off, Fluke did use the word "we" in reference to "our" expectations, as females enrolled at that particular university. To imply that she only wanted contraception for other people, is beyond disingenuous.

Second: "Suppress the vote"? I'm not aware of Democratic court-appointed poll-watchers being manhandled and physically evicted from polling locations. But this happened to GOP court-appointed poll-watchers in numerous precincts, particularly in Philadelphia. Meanwhile, UN election observers were absolutely flabbergasted that the US doesn't require any kind of voter identification to prevent double-voting.

I agree with RockOn. While LDS dems are fasting and praying for "reconciliation", perhaps those who willfully originate and perpetuate misrepresentations like yours can find a little time for repentance as well.

• Chase Saint George, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 6:31 p.m.

"God" barely made it into the platform (with much visible and audible disdain). And now they want prayers and fasting? Who would these prayers and fastings be offered to?

You know who could use prayers and fasting? Harry Reid and his phobia for budgets or fiscal responsibility.

But we all know 99% of ALL politicians are corrupt in some fashion . . . out seeking their "honest graft".

• Kate ,
    Nov. 28, 2012 6:27 p.m.

I totally agree with Counter Intelligence!! You are SPOT On!! I could not say it any better. Go to 11:57 a.m. Nov. 28, 2012 to see his/her/my response.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    Nov. 28, 2012 5:18 p.m.

“Bipartisanship and civility are Christian values so it makes sense for us in a religious sense to be fasting for these values,”

Oh, really? Just how bipartisan will the Savior be when He rules and reigns for 1000 years?
    I can't see Him negotiating.

Civility? Start with Harry Reid admitting that he lied about his secret information about Romney not paying taxes for 10 years. Democrats only talk about civility as a political weapon but only when they think they can bludgeon conservatives with it.

“to put aside our political ideologies and be more humble and look for common-sense solutions based on the teachings of the gospel.”

I am amazed by this comment considering that most elements of the Democrat party are not compatible with the gospel.
    Common Sense Solutions? Really?

No country ever taxed itself into prosperity. Reagan tax cut this nation into prosperity.
    You cannot create prosperity without creating wealth. Government spending consumes wealth and Democrats think that massive government spending will end the recession. it will make things worse.

You cannot have bipartisanship or common sense solutions until Democrats abandon Keynesian Economics.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Nov. 28, 2012 4:53 p.m.

Are you referring to Sandra Fluke? I woulfd recommend you actually read the statement Sandra Fluke made. Contrary to Limbaugh’s lies, she never talks about herself or her own needs, and only talks about other Georgetown students — one of whom is a 32-year-old gay woman who lost an ovary and is facing early menopause due to the lack of birth control coverage. She never even talks about sexual activity.

Hey, Republicans are all too happy to make contraceptives and abortion a political issue. It is a health issue for women and when Republicans stop using it to whip up their base and stop making ignorant statements then it will disappear from politics.

Chicago thug tactics? I believe it was the Republicans who tried to suppress the vote. Make you can explain what you mean by "Chicago thug tactics."

• Down under Pullman, WA
    Nov. 28, 2012 4:47 p.m.

The LDS Church is very careful to stay out of politics. So does the Dems now speak for the LDS Church? I think NOT. Please stay out of the religion area and focus on government matters.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 4:41 p.m.

You want an end to divisiveness? Try apologizing for all the lies Democrats told about Romney; all the false innuendos, slander and outrageous statements. Tell Harry Reid to apologize for lying about Romney's taxes. Yes, I saw some rotten ads by pro-Romney groups, but you, Dems, are the ones fasting and praying about something you can do immediately. But, you won't because you'll claim your opponents also lied which is pure hypocrisy. You don't want prayer to gain peace, you want your opponents to change without you changing. Try setting an example.

• killpack Sandy, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 4:32 p.m.

@patriot and A1994

Lol. I too find it interesting and ironic that the party that boos God one day decides to hold a day of prayer the next. Good for them. Hopefully, for the sake of their own souls, the prayer is in earnest and not just some show of religiousness because they happen to live in the most religious state in the union.

• Claudio Springville, Ut
    Nov. 28, 2012 4:23 p.m.

I said nothing about abortion. Absolutely nothing. Please send your lecture to someone who will find it useful.

Interesting that you talk about illiteracy. The word is "divine." I have no idea what "devine" is.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Nov. 28, 2012 4:18 p.m.

Well said! You are spot on! In light of the campaign we just saw coming from the left, a publicity stunt is exactly what this appears to be.

You seem to forget that when a woman chooses to have an abortion, especially when it is out of convenience, that choice robs the baby's agency for life. When you say you are Pro-Choice, you are saying that a mother's right to choose termination of a pregnancy supersedes a childs right to live. Agency is not so much about freedom to make whatever choice you want as it is about ACCOUNTABILITY for your choices.

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    Nov. 28, 2012 4:15 p.m.

In the spirit of literacy, is "devine" common sense that which was dispensed by cowboy actor Andy Devine?

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 4:10 p.m.

@A Scientist

Do you assume that nobody else reads but you? Who are you trying to fool about the Founding Fathers and religion? Most of them were deeply spiritual men who believed the hand of God guided their affairs. It's in their writings. They didn't necessarily think much of organized religions at the time, but then, neither did Joseph Smith.

I applaud the LDS Dems for calling for prayer and fasting. I hope they don't catch the wrath of the rest of their party who wanted to remove God from the platform.

• Baccus0902 Leesburg, VA
    Nov. 28, 2012 4:03 p.m.

What a pathetic bunch!!

Responding with hate to an invitation to pray and fast together for the nation. Unbelievable!!

@ TRUTH
    Funny comment! The most educated people in the United States are in so called "Liberal States".

• beagal West Valley City, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 3:48 p.m.

one old man

Ogden, UT

"But after all the fasting and praying that Romney would win the election, didn't God already tell us He is a Democrat"?

One Old Man: Instead of God being a Democrat, perhaps He is permitting tribulation to "take its course"!

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 3:46 p.m.

Obama was re-elected by large group of enormously illiterate americans! Fast and pray that this group receive some devine common sense.....before we elect another God-Hating POTUS~!

• Darrel Eagle Mountain, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 3:40 p.m.

This is exactly what this country needs, more fasting and prayer. Hopefully hearts can be softened, and we can be less divisive as a people.

What a wonderful contrast to the calls for secession.

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    Nov. 28, 2012 3:32 p.m.

Could we include the 49ers winning the Super Bowl with Smith at QB in the fasting and prayer?

I believe that God wants a U alum to hoist the Lombardi trophy more than He wants to see a Tennessee or Michigan QB on the podium again.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 3:09 p.m.

Well the Utah Democrat party better have a sit down talk with the National Democrat party regarding the offering of prayer since the National Democrat party booed God during the convention - wanting God to be left out of the party platform. Maybe our good friend Harry Reid can convince the national democrat party to stop being atheistic? Maybe the Utah Dems can pray for brother Harry as well as his boss that they might turn to God instead of the state for resolution to their problems? One thing we learn from scripture however is that a nation that rejects God as America is doing is not endowed with His promised blessings of protection and prosperity any longer. Recall the last battle between the Nephites and Lamanites in the Book Of Mormon where the prophet Mormon laments the sad fact that his people had "rejected that Jesus who stood with open arms to receive them" and were now left on their own to face complete destruction at the hands of their enemies. America has sadly chosen NOT to be one nation under God anymore. Choices have consequences. Prayer only works where faith is also present.

• Upson Downs Sandy, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 2:45 p.m.

I fast and pray that all Democrats will see the light about Gay marriage and Abortion

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Nov. 28, 2012 2:12 p.m.

The Republicans are not against abortion. They are Pro Choice; just earlier than you would require people to choose. When the coice is removed, just as is the case of rape and incest, I am for choice, just as you are. If the choice is made to take the risk of pregnancy, then most republicans are in favor of honoring that choice because now another life is involved who may not agreed with the second thoughts of the parents. I know a man who for 30 years got drunk every Saturday and Sunday night, but said he never intended to get drunk. He learned after a near fatal accident while drunk, that he can make an early choice and not get drunk. People can make the same choice when it comes to pregnancy, can they not? Don't forget the child's lack of choice! That is what the Republican platform advocates.

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    Nov. 28, 2012 2:02 p.m.

More like a 4 year fast

• Claudio Springville, Ut
    Nov. 28, 2012 2:00 p.m.

Lost in DC,

So I can't be in favor of agency without being in favor of sin? That's exactly what you just implied. And it is absolutely absurd.

• peacemaker Provo, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 1:27 p.m.

• Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 28, 2012 1:23 p.m.

Lost in DC,

I thought for a minute there I was going to agree with you, then you had to question the intentions of the democrats. Have you ever thought there is more that unites us, than divides us? Every year I hear read from the pulpit in my local LDS ward a statement from the First Presidency saying they do not support one party, and there are good things and good people in all parties, and yet so many Mormons come on hear and bash people simply because they are democrats. I think maybe the democratic members of the church are taking what the First Presidency said after the election to heart, and maybe it is time for republican members of the church to do the same.

We are not Republicans or Democrats we are Americans

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 12:56 p.m.

I think it would be great if Democrats and Republicans, among others, would get together and find common ground on legilsation that would, for example, seek to compare proposed legislation to the spirit and letter of the Ten Commandments. That is something, supposedly, that politicians of most stamps could be expected to agree on, given there will always be a few atheists, who would prefer to sit such discussions out.

For example:

Thou shalt not kill: Democrats and Republicans putting an end to aggressive wars, declared and undeclared, usually enthusiastically endorsed by congressmen of either party. Abortion is another form of murder that should be included as anathema to religious politicians of almost any faith.

Thou shalt not steal: let's agree to put an end to coercive taxation based on property, income etc. Limiting the scope of government would do it; we could tax luxuries alone: no one is compelled to buy luxuries.

Maybe well find we have more in common, when we really think about it, than we thought, or we would be forced to face our past incinsistencies and hypocrisies, and live accordig to our consciences.

Nov. 28, 2012 12:47 p.m.

one old man-

That must be why he left congress divided!

• sg newhall, CA
    Nov. 28, 2012 12:42 p.m.

How about praying that obama unseals all his school records, provides a bonafide, real birth certificate, a real selective service card, a real social security number from Hawaii, and then declares himself ineligible to be president per The Constitution? But then again the socialist/democrat party will never be that transparent. Praying and fasting for what? Obviously not for the truth. It's a waste of a prayer.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 12:07 p.m.

been practicing your rationalizations and distortions long? You cannot be pro-choice WITHOUT favoring abortion.

The republican platform states that "the unborn child has a fundamental individual right to life which cannot be infringed." It opposes using public revenues to promote or perform abortion or to fund organizations that perform or advocate abortions. It says the party will not fund or subsidize health care that includes abortion coverage.

and the dem platform of no restrictions whatsoever for abortions is in line with LDS policy? In which alternate reality do you live?

tell me, please, what the following words mean? I'm not familiar with them:

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 11:57 a.m.

I am not LDS but I am supportive of LDS Democrats wishing to fast and pray regarding the end of divisiveness:

However after running an election based upon race, gender and class warfare and using Chicago thug tactics as well as the honoring of a college co-ed who spent thousands of dollops on extra tuition (as opposed to tens of dollars on her own contraception) merely to attend a faith based university so that she could feign pass/aggressive victimhood and force those morally opposed to HER choice to pay for HER choice, regardless of THEIR choice; making a mockery of religious freedom and the entire concept of CHOICE

I would seem that prayer and fasting would be worthless without an uncomplaining change in behavior. Until I see that happen; it is easy to merely discount this as little more than another manipulative publicity stunt

• Baccus0902 Leesburg, VA
    Nov. 28, 2012 11:34 a.m.

As an observer from afar I'm curious how this will go.

• airnaut Everett, 00
    Nov. 28, 2012 11:06 a.m.

I'm in!

FYI - Straitpath
    8:52 a.m. Nov. 28, 2012

Democrat are not FOR abortion.
    They are simply Pro-Choice
    as in, between a woman and her Doctor,
    as in the Government (and anyone else) Keep out.

If yo have a problem with LDS beliefs, abortion, and politcal platforms --
    The Repbulican platform of no abortions, ever, not for any cicumstances is dimetrically opposed and 180 degrees against offical LDS policy which states --

...that in some rare cases, that abortion may be considered an valid option in the case of rape, incest, Health of the Woman or Viability of the fetus --- but the ultimate CHOICE is to remain with the Woman. Along with the help of her Doctor, Family, Clergy and prayer….not the Government, and certainly not a Political Party.

• killpack Sandy, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 9:04 a.m.

Praying is good. I am a firm believer in prayer. The question is, what are they going to do afterwards? Are they going to have one day of prayer, so everyone will know how holy they are, and then go do a bunch of shenanigans while the people sit back and think everything is on the up and up because our mostly corrupt politicians had a day of prayer? Come on.

• Straitpath PROVO, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 8:52 a.m.

A good first step in healing the rift in the political spectrum, from an LDS perspective, would be to pray for the removal of the abortion plank in the Democrat Party platform. By removing this plank, there might be some hope of compromise.

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 8:23 a.m.

Can you imagine a group of people, who affiliate themselves with a particular religious belief, as well as holding particular political views, having the unmitigated gall of calling for religious activity in an attempt to resolve the divisiveness that permeates our society?? It's downright heretical.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 8:11 a.m.

please refrain from imposing your own beliefs and ideas on the founders.

Washington was opposed to the idea of political parties, which is contrary to your statement.

the 1st amendment proscribes the government from any laws, for or against, concerning the establishment of religion. since your statement requires rules forbidding religion except in certain places, your statement is contrary to the founders' intent.

fast and pray for an end to divisiveness, but make sure the timing is such that it cannot be seen as helping the other side. I guess no one else sees the hypocrisy in this?

It also makes you wonder if they would have issued the same call had their candiate lost following his campaign of divisivenes and distortion?

• IMAN Marlborough, MA
    Nov. 28, 2012 7:29 a.m.

Bi-partisianship and compromise would produce more needed results in this secular republic.

• Bart Tippetts Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 28, 2012 7:20 a.m.

As the LDS Church so stated

After a long campaign, this is now a time for Americans to come together. It is a long tradition among Latter-day Saints to pray for our national leaders in our personal prayers and in our congregations. We invite Americans everywhere, whatever their political persuasion, to pray for the President, for his administration and the new Congress as they lead us through difficult and turbulent times. May our national leaders reflect the best in wisdom and judgment as they fulfill the great trust afforded to them by the American people.

We also commend Governor Romney for engaging at the highest level of our democratic process, which, by its nature, demands so much of those who offer themselves for public service. We wish him and his family every success in their future endeavors.

In Facebook see Latter Day Saints For Civility.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 8:44 p.m.

It is contrary to the spirit of the Founders for a political party to call for religious activity of any kind.

Keep religion OUT of politics and the world will be MUCH better off!

Let the Churches call for days of fasting and prayer if they want, but keep it out of political parties while keeping religions out of politics!

• Sginsberg Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 8:30 p.m.

The intent is very sweet. Christian values aside; since they are really "people" values. "human" values. Amirite?

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 7:11 p.m.

Wonderful! I hope people will see this and understand the spirit with which it is intended.

I for one will be participating.