Utah

Latest study: Alcohol use lowest among Utah teens

Comments

• Emajor Ogden, UT
    Nov. 29, 2012 7:01 a.m.

ulvegaard,
    I agree. This is a non-religious, non-denominational issue. Teens should not be regularly using alcohol, period. Their growth, development, self control and future success are tenuous enough as is.

• ulvegaard Medical Lake, Washington
    Nov. 27, 2012 4:21 p.m.

Alcohol abuse in this country is staggering. More death occur each year in alcohol related incidents than any other single cause. A study finds one place in the nation that is fairing better and our first impulse is not to praise youth for avoiding the pitfalls, but to argue about the statistics and whether or the not the LDS church punishes people who take a drink.

As I see it, anything that can be done, and anything that is successful in any degree to change or curb this epidemic we should applaud it or come up with something better.

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    Nov. 27, 2012 12:25 p.m.

@Austin Coug: Are you really trying to tell us that thre are no ramifications from the church itself if one of its members drinks alcohol, i.e., a beer or other such spirit? That is not how I was raised nor what I was told growing up.

As for this study, if it is simply asking teens whether or not they consume alcohol, I would be very weary, as practically every teen I knew as a kid drank, but would never admit to it.

• Mike in Sandy Sandy, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 12:12 p.m.

Where was the study taken...Peoa?

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 11:39 a.m.

I'm sure the statement about utah teens is generally correct. But, I always take these sorts of proclamations with a grain of salt, because I've seen a LOT of reality swept under the rug in Utah, in the interest of keeping up appearances.

• Austin Coug Pflugerville, TX
    Nov. 27, 2012 11:26 a.m.

L Valfre,

I get what you are trying to say but it isn't entirely accurate. The LDS church teaches its members to avoid drinking alcohol. However, members are free to choose for themselves if they actually follow. Ultiamtely, the dominant religion isn't stopping anyone from drinking a beer who wants one. However, the fact that many in the state are LDS does obviously help reduce teen acohol use because of this beleif. Good for Utah!

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    Nov. 27, 2012 11:00 a.m.

Well duh! The dominant religion in the state doesn't allow alcohol use!