Sports

Former Utah Utes quarterback Alex Smith could be done as 49ers starter

Comments

• Lightening Lad Austin , TX
    Nov. 28, 2012 10:32 p.m.

I can't get my head around this controversy, CK had a good game, AS is hurt and with the care given slobberknockers, there isn't any way to know when he can pass the neurological tests to be cleared to play. Could it be that sports writers have a hot button making them crazed with any hint of a "Two QB dilemma". I thought the headline after the BYU-NMSt game hinting of a QB battle silly, given there is a meaningless bowl game left, neither player coming back. I do think that Smith has developed a moody, difficult reputation among NFL fans, that might explain the idea that he's out if a back-up shows himself to have a pulse. AS apologists don't jump on me, I'm just reporting what I'm hearing. He had battles with Nolan and the SJ Mercury made him out to be a jerk, who was or maybe "wasn't" as injured as he made himself out to be. And with 4 head coaches and maybe 10 OC's he hasn't exactly had it easy. I think he'll start for a few more years, that this is a manufactured controversy.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 8:14 p.m.

@uteology

Kaepernick is a "vastly superior" talent, vastly. I explained what I meant by that but you obviously want to keep pretending it was otherwise even after I clarified it. As far as smith goes, well it is good to know you aren't as delusional as 99% of the utah "fans" around here when it comes to smith. Congratulations on that.

• NewMexicoUte Palmdale, CA
    Nov. 28, 2012 6:19 p.m.

While I don't like how Alex Smith's whole career has played out in San Francisco, Harbaugh is going to play the person and people that give his team the best opportunity to win. And I don't blame him. I would go with the hot hand too that is hotter than the recent hot hand. While Kaepernick showed he can definitely play, he looked like a football player who has been playing in the NFL for awhile now. Would Kaepernick have been as successful having gone through the troubles Alex Smith went through when he became a 49er? No one knows for sure. The verdict is still out once teams adjust to his style of play. Will he still be the effective quarterback that earned him the starting job and last two 49er victories? Kaepernick has a good coach and coaching staff that has turned the 49ers back to the glory days. Smith didn't have that when he got drafted. Provided he probably made mistakes of his own during his career. I love the 49ers! They have been my team since childhood. As much crap as Alex Smith has gone through. That is one tough Hombre!

• u mad bro? WVC, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 6:17 p.m.

Alex Smith is a game manager. Kap, has the higher ceiling.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 28, 2012 4:57 p.m.

@Ducky

Don't put words in my mouth, I never said Alex was great. I even said Alex was at best a backup QB 3 years ago. You however said CK is "vastly superior".

Alex is a good QB who should get a chance somewhere next year.

This is CK's team now. I just don't think he's ready to lead us to the super bowl, I think Alex could. Apparently you and Harbaugh disagree, only time will tell.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 12:27 p.m.

@gdog

I'll give Smith credit for winning but it is provisional because he is not the one winning the games, he is simply not losing them in my opinion. He is a good qb but he is not a star and I do not think he ever will be a star. I do give him credit for the comeback he has made these last 2 years because he was pretty much DOA before that, but I still don't think he is any more than a journeyman with a limited upside. It is to bad this is happening in SF because they are actually a team set up to make a qb like him successful. He doesn't have to try to be more than he is because of the great defense and the running game. But I won't lie, I thought it was just a matter of time before this occured. Not that I was thinking kaeprnick was going to be great just that I didn't think Harbaugh would be content long term with a game manager type qb, he wants a star that can win games when everything else isn't working. That isn't Smith.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 28, 2012 12:22 a.m.

What I am saying is that many in the clueless Bay area ripped Alex for not winning when the coaches and supporting cast were weak, but on the flipside, they can't give him credit when the team finally got the right pieces in place for a QB (Alex) to succeed, and Alex won.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 27, 2012 10:11 p.m.

@Duckhunter

You're right, Smith doesn't have great arm strength. He lost some of that with shoulder surgery years back. But his arm isn't weak and there are plenty of big name stars who don't have great arm strength. Joe Montana never had a big arm. Peyton Manning has never had a cannon. Smith doesn't have the raw talent of Kaepernick, but who does? It's not like Smith is not talented. He was picked #1 overall for a reason. And despite the world being against him, he did not lose confidence in himself.

Again as for talent. Smith is athletic (shifty, good speed for a QB, throws an accurate ball, makes good decisions, and takes hits). Now, I see the hype for Kaepernick. He is a physical beast. I just don't see Smith as below average. The Niners run a conservative offense because of the their defense and running game. Smith hasn't had the chance to open it up.

If you can't give Alex credit for winning with a solid team around him, then how is it fair to find fault with him when he was losing with no supporting cast?

• u mad bro? WVC, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 6:05 p.m.

reasonableUTE,

Kap, is not better than Smith this year, but he does have a higher ceiling. Thats what Harbaugh is going with. Smith is a game manager.

• Canyontreker TAYLORSVILLE, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 5:26 p.m.

There is no freshman quarterback that would have survived under Mike Singletary. The niner line didn't protect their quarterbacks under the horrible coaches.

Smith had to wait for his turn, just like Steve Young. Harbaugh and Smith are in now. Smith will take the niners to the playoffs again and Kaepernick will find a way to get out of his contract. I wish him luck in Arizona.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 5:17 p.m.

Also utah "fans" I actually agree that smith might give the 49ers a better chance to win this year, but my guess is that Harbaugh and the 49ers that matter don't think that chance is very good anyway or else they wouldn't be doing this.

Regardless smith is not a great talent and he has pretty much reached his potential and that is just not good enough. Harbaugh has decided it and utah "fan" angst isn't going to change things.

@sunny all day

I do not care how much money smith has made, good for him, but that has little to do with the caliber of qb that he is at this point. It seems that no one but utah "fans" see him as anything more than ok.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 5:12 p.m.

@speedy

If I've beaten it to death then so have the utah "fans" like uteology. Just because they say over and over again that alex smith is better and that he is some great qb doesn't make it so. Great qb's don't get benched for 2nd round picks. Like I said I am not the one saying this, Harbaugh is the one saying it and his opinion is the one that really matters. I have nothing against smith and think he has done a decent job but in professional sports "decent", like 13 tds and 5 ints, is not "great" and teams are looking for "great". Obviously Harbaugh and the 49ers do not consider smith capable of reaching that level. To bad for him but that is the nature of sports.

• SUNNY ALL DAY Saint George, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 3:36 p.m.

Alex has made more money and will continue to make more money than all the ute haters from highland could ever dream of making.

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 2:32 p.m.

Kap is not a better QB than Smith. Smith has been the most efficient quarterback in the NFL this season, please explain to me why Kap is better. His stats have been worse. If it weren't for those 2 pick 6's the 9ers would have likely lost that game. The 9ers will not win the super bowl behind Kap. There is absolutely zero evidence that suggests Kap gives them a better chance to win. Finally, anyone who blames Smith for their loss to the Giants last year is absolutely crazy. Williams muffed 2 punts, without those 2 muffed punts, 9ers go to the super bowl.

• jdub1942 PROVO, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 1:55 p.m.

This whole thing is ridiculous. The only arguments I've heard for CKap are:
    1) He's tall (so is travis wilson)
    2) He has a big arm (so does Uncle Rico)
    3) He has potential (as if that wins super bowls now)

Everyone knows SF's best chance at a Super Bowl is this year. CKap people somehow think that he will be ready to lead a team through the playoffs with only a few starts under his belt, this is nonsense. CKap IS the Future of the Niners, but not this year or the next one. Bring the Kid along the way Green Bay did with Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 27, 2012 1:47 p.m.

Alex Smith is currently the 5th highest QB in the NFL with a rating of 104.1; 13 TDs and 5 Ints. Hardley the numbers of a bust. I will be suprised if he's benched, but can't see it being for long; if it does happen.

• FatMan86 West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 1:04 p.m.

I am a lifelong 49er fan. It is so silly to see this become a BYU/Utah thing here. Real 49er fans don't care who plays as long as the Niners win. All you BYU fans sound desperate. You can't beat Utah on the field, so the only thing you can do is bash one of their ex-qb's over his performance in the NFL. That's pretty weak. You Utah fans sound desperate too. If Alex Smith wins at the next level, does that really make your lame 5-7 record look better? This SF team is winning because of amazing defense and a solid running game. I'm happy with either guy as long as we win.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 12:42 p.m.

too bad for Smith - he was having a decent year followed by a really good year last season. You do well and you get demoted...pretty harsh. Kaepernick is the real deal - big arm and good legs plus he seems to read defenses pretty good for a rookie. Smith needs to go some place else ... some system that maximizes his skills that needs a QB like Arizona. Alex is a good QB - he throws well and he runs well plus he is smart... he just isn't a risk taker and doesn't stretch the field as much as Kaepernick can. Kaepernick will struggle some against a really good defense like the New York Giants or the Houston Texans. I actually think I would prefer Smith against the better defenses simply because Alex won't beat you with interceptions trying to force things whereas Kaepernick most likely will. If Harbaugh does bench Smith for good then attempting to come back to him to rescue some playoff game isn't going to work. Confidence once broken is seldom regained in the NFL.

• Alaskan Ute Fairbanks, AK
    Nov. 27, 2012 11:58 a.m.

Psychologically, I think Alex has already moved on and will demand a trade at year-end. No matter what happens in the playoffs, I would bet he wants out. Alex has played well enough that he doesn't deserve to be benched for an injury. He simply doesn't make many mistakes/turnovers.

My hunch is that Alex goes to the Chiefs. Just a hunch.

• MLH SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 11:56 a.m.

Duckhunter

It's so sad that you (first comment) had to make this a Utah/BYU thing. You look for anything to dis the U of U.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 27, 2012 11:47 a.m.

@Duckhunter

You said CK was "vastly superior" than Smith. Which is ridiculous considering he wasn't able to beat out the current #5 rated NFL QB until he was injured. I've said CK is more than capable leading the 9ers going forward and has a greater "potential". But I also said Smith is more than capable of leading a team without a QB, like Arizona.

@Phoenix

Actually, Steve Young would have ended up like Max Hall if it wasn't for my 49ers dynasty. He was given the chance to develop under a legend and did so.

"The Buccaneers selected University of Miami quarterback Vinny Testaverde first overall in the 1987 NFL Draft because Young was deemed a bust, and he was traded to the San Francisco 49ers on April 24, 1987, to serve as a backup to Joe Montana."

• Thinkman Provo, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 10:35 a.m.

Kaepernick is at best a notch better than Tebow at this point in his career. Smith is a proven winner and is attractive to many teams in the NFL if SF decides to bench him.

• Provo4Life PROVO, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 10:31 a.m.

I'm not a big Alex Smith fan, but i do think he is getting a raw deal if he is benched. That is how it works though in the NFL. @Uteology "it was injury that cost him his job not performance." Unfortunately that is how it usually happens. Look at Drew Bledsoe for the Patriots, injured and then we found Tom Brady. Poor Bledsoe again with the cowboys played ok and injuries led to the insertion of Romo. So, it usually is injuries that lead to permanent changes because until they are injured you can't see what the backup is capable of. I for one think this decision is too hasty. The grass isn't always greener. QB is the toughest position to play and now that Smith has been given a shot it is evident that he is more than capable. The 49ers have a great defense and a great running game in Gore. Stick with Smith as he gives you the best chance to win this season. After that if you think it is time to make a switch trade Smith or have a qb battle in the offseason.

• Jazz Source Alpine, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 9:58 a.m.

Kapernick/9ers loses the game without the two defensive pick-six touchdowns Sunday. Lets not forget.

No doubt Kapernick is a thrill to watch and clearly a far superior athlete to Smith. Capable of more throws and can get yards and out of trouble with his feet.

Alex Smith is less dynamic but the results are a proven commodity..not just a hope.

This will be interesting to watch what happens.

Harbaugh is clearly tempted by the explosive nature of what Kapernick brings but lets be realistic here..this kid is young and he is not going to be this good every week and bring the consistency the team has been enjoying. There will be some growing pains but in the end he could be the better final product.

• Down under Pullman, WA
    Nov. 27, 2012 9:33 a.m.

Done. Just like the Utes.

• Pa. Reader Harrisburg, PA
    Nov. 27, 2012 9:30 a.m.

I'm a BYU fan who is also a big Alex Smith fan.
    He will land on his feet with another team if things don't work out in SF.
    He is already a successful starter in the NFL and that's a club with few members.

The silly back and forth between some BYU and Utah fans is sad and boring.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Nov. 27, 2012 9:18 a.m.

Uteology

"Your" 49ers dynasty would have ended with Montana if not for Steve Young and many other former BYU players.

Much like the Utes, the 49ers can attribute much of their success to former BYU players.

• Speed_Altitude Centerville, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 9:17 a.m.

@Ducky

Give it a rest. You've beat the dead horse. Repeating the same thing over and over and over and over . . . . doesn't make it true. I think you've convinced yourself beyond a shadow of a doubt. Way to go!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 9:08 a.m.

@ernie

Hey ernie do you know what say's a lot more than your opinion, or mine for that matter?

Harbaugh's.

He is the one that has found smith lacking and inferior, he is the one making the change. he is the one that matters here. I do enjoy how much this hurts the pride of utah "fans" like yourself but my pleasure in your angst doesn't matter to harbaugh, smith, or kaepernick. All that matters there is that harbaugh has measured the talent of the 2 and smith appears to have come up lacking. You'll just have to learn to deal with it.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 9:05 a.m.

@uteology

So all harbaugh is doing is trying to insert a 2nd round pick over a #1 pick because he drafted the 2nd round pick? Please he is going with the better talent. As far as smith getting benched becauuse of the injury is concerned, it is obvious that Harbaugh was looking for the opportunity to make the switch and that was his opportunity.

If smith was a stud this would not be happening, sorry to burst your delusions. He is ok, that's it, ok. You can whine about it, you can argue with me,you can claim harbaugh is just protecting a 2nd round pick which is really ridiculous if you think about it, or you can just admit that harbaugh is making the change because in his opinion kaepernick is a superior talent.

Smith was worse than a bust before harbaugh resurrected his career and it is obvious harbaugh knows what smith is. If it makes you bitter well that's to bad I guess. Doesn't change the fact that it appears smith is out and kaepernick is in and that overall number ones don't get benched for 2nd rounders unless they aren't as good.

• I-am-I South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 8:34 a.m.

Well friends let me see if I can bridge the gap between the alleged "byu fans" (against alex smith) and the obviously ute fans (pro AS). Alex Smith is probably a Trent Dilfer esque quarterback. He is good enough. Not the guy you want leading the team on a game winning drive, but he might be good enough to win a super bowl if the running game and defense are dominating enough. CK probably has the tools to be something better than a Trent Dilfer esque qb. With how dominating the niners' defense has been, its probably too early to say whether he is an obvious choice. In the niners' current situation pretty much any qb that doesn't throw 3 interceptions a game is going to look pretty good.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 7:12 a.m.

duckhunter sure seems to care a lot for a guy who claims he doesn't care.
    Is Smith a hall of famer? No. Is he good? Yes.
    Smith has beaten out a Superbowl winning QB, a #1 overall pick and a Heisman Trophy winning QB. All those guys had their shot and didn't prove to be better than Smith.
    The says a lot more than some hunter's opinion from Highland.

• u mad bro? WVC, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 2:42 a.m.

BYE, BYE ALEX!!!!! BUST!!!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 26, 2012 11:17 p.m.

@Duckhunter

--------

That's funny Since Harbaugh didn't take Smith out because of performance, it was because of injury.

Harbaugh moved up to draft to get Kaepernick, it's his guy and the future QB. I think Smith will be traded or cut and CK will lead the team next year.

Alex took us to the NFC title game and is the safer bet to do the same this year. I can't see CK doing the same this year.

We'll find out on Wed if Harbaugh agree with you and in 6 weeks if it was the correct choice.

Regardless, Alex has done more in the last 7 years then any BYU QB since Steve Young, so I'm not sure why you're here.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 26, 2012 9:57 p.m.

@motorbike

That's one game, for that matter he had one good quarter, the rest of the game was so so on his part. Look he has done a good job with what Harbaugh has asked him to do. Harbaugh is very good at using players properly in my opinion, but Smith is not a great talent or a great qb. His qb rating is based on how efficient he has been in a scaled down and simplified offense. He's done a good job, not great, just good. If he was what many of you wish he was Harbaugh would not be doing this, Kaepernick is a 2nd round draft pick afterall and Smith was the number one overall pick.

@uteology

I agree, running game and defense, no different than it has been the last 2 seasons. The difference is that Kaepernick has a vastly higher upside than Smith and Harbaugh is wisely seeing the time has come to make the transition to the better talent.

Hey I'm not the guy benching Smith, Harbaugh is. He is the guy making the call and my guess is if it was turned around most of you would be praising it.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Nov. 26, 2012 9:46 p.m.

1. If the 49ers have any shot at the Super Bowl this year, it is with Smith.
    2. Give teams a chance to get film on kaepernick, and he will start to struggle.
    3. He went up against a bears d that didn't know what hit them, Gruden himself said he'd never seen some of he plays that the 49ers were running, and that was followed by a game against the worst defense in the league in terms of total yards, the Saints are 28th in scoring defense. Max Hall could have lit them up.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 26, 2012 9:39 p.m.

@Duckhunter

------------

Steve Young was a bust until he joined my 9er dynasty. So what's your point?

The running game and defense is what won for us last two week, not CK's QB ability.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Nov. 26, 2012 9:21 p.m.

BlueHusky:

Brian Johnson was the QB of Utah when they beat Bama.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 26, 2012 9:09 p.m.

@Duckhunter

"He was not able to perform until Harbaugh came along and inserted him in a ball control offense which minimized his opportunities to make mistakes. The running game and defense are what won SF games. He just didn't screw it up."

I'm guessing the entire Saints organization would disagree with you - among others. I sure don't remember the running backs or defense winning that huge game for the niners.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 26, 2012 8:54 p.m.

@ahmyers

You took the words right out of my mouth ... a player losing his starting position due to a concussion sets a terrible precedence. Concussions are already bad enough in the NFL, but this kind of thing will only encourage players to hide them.

@Duckhunter

I'm not going to completely disagree with your take on Smith because I do think he has his limitations (not the strongest of all arms) ... however, I believe you're selling him short. All you have to do is look at what he did last year and look at the QB rankings this year ... Smith is #5 and is only 1.5 percentage points behind the leader - Aaron Rodgers. The only other players ahead of him are #2 Brady, #3 Peyton Manning and #4 RG3.
    _________

Bottom line ... San Fran would've lost last week without 2 TDs from their defense, and if Kap becomes the fulltime starter I guarantee San Fran will drop some games they shouldn't and will end up underachieving this year. If that happens, it's time for Smith to walk away and let San Fran figure it out on their own.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 26, 2012 8:51 p.m.

@qwesty

Smith is a great role model, I'll give him all the credit in the world for his character, but that isn't the point. His TALENT, or lack of, is the point. If he was all you claim then Harbaugh would not be replacing him with Kaepernick. You don't replace #1 overall draft picks in their prime unless they aren't as good as billed. Smith could continue to be an adequate qb that manages the game decently but he is not going to win games with his arm or play, he lacks the talent to do so and that is why he is being replaced.

I understand the desire of utah "fans" to have him be more, you want to stick it to the BYU fans that have rightfully labeled him as a overall #1 bust. Sorry but it appears that will never happen and it is a neutral source, Harbaugh, that has decided this argument. He only cares about putting the best talent on the field and Smith does not appear to be the best talent. Sorry it simply is what it is despite the lamentations of utah "fans".

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 26, 2012 8:44 p.m.

@gdog, uteology and all utah fans

Smith is no more than adequate. He has been running an extremely basic offense that has allowed him to be a game manager and not relied on him to win games, all they asked of him the last year and a half was to not lose games. He has done a good job at that but his talent is average.

And gdog my comment about Kaepernick was about his overall talent, sorry I didn't clarify that. He is vastly more talented than Smith, it isn't even close. He is bigger, has a much better arm, is faster, runs better, the only thing I don't know because it is hard to tell watching them is if he is as smart or smarter than Smith.

Teams will not be clamoring for Smith, he will get some interest but his talent is what it is and that is average at best. He was not able to perform until Harbaugh came along and inserted him in a ball control offense which minimized his opportunities to make mistakes. The running game and defense are what won SF games. He just didn't screw it up.

• USA Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 26, 2012 8:31 p.m.

Alex Smith has been the most successful NFL quarterback with Utah collegiate ties in recent memory. He has represented the state well, with a lot of class. We wish him well and continued success in football and in life. JSB has made a good point regarding the concussion.

• ahmyers San Leandro, CA
    Nov. 26, 2012 8:26 p.m.

I think it's unfortunate if this goes the way it's looking that it seems to relay the message to players: "If you get a concussion, you're better off pretending you're fine because you might lose your job..."

• IndeMak South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 26, 2012 8:26 p.m.

There are 18 teams that would love Smith as their QB. He throws at a high percentage and controls the game well. He will be fine. Kap is good.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 26, 2012 8:22 p.m.

@bluehusky

It was Brian Johnson who destroyed Alabama. Alex Smith was the starting QB when the Utes first busted into the BCS in the Fiesta Bowl. He destroyed Pitt in that game and was the number one pick in the draft that year.

Just thought you might want to know who you were talking about.

As far as Smith goes, there aren't very many players with his level of character in the NFL. He has done nothing to deserve losing his starting position. He has been one of the top ten QB's in the league the last two years. He was one pass attempt away from breaking the NFL's completion percentage just a few weeks ago. Hopefully Alex will find a team that appreciates his talent.

I know it's hard for some byu fans to accept Alex - they were mad that he was the first pick in the draft and the first QB to bust the BCS. It's too ad you can't see past your own jealousy to realize the guy is talented as well as a great role model in a league that has very few.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Nov. 26, 2012 7:35 p.m.

Amazing to see BYU fans dissing Smith. He was a great college QB and not bad at SF. Give him credit - most great college QB's never start in the pros. I hate the Utes too. But I don't hate their guys. I wish Alex Smith the best and Kaepernick too. He was awesome at Nevada. And I enjoyed watching Smith demolish Alabama.

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    Nov. 26, 2012 6:45 p.m.

My biggest concern about Smith is the concussion. He may be wise to get out before he is more injured. It's a vicious game and a lot of players have had their lives ruined by their injuries--especially concussions.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 26, 2012 5:49 p.m.

As a 49er fan I think Smith's tenure at San Fran is over. Three years ago I would have agreed with Duckhunter that Smith is a good NFL backup QB. But over the last two years AS has proven he can lead an NFL team.

Most 9er fans will get their wish and CKap will be the QB going forward. I don't think CKap, even with our great defense, will lead us to the SB this year but I think he has the skill set to carry the team.

Look for Alex Smith to be starting in Arizona next year.

BTW Ducky, if CKap was "vastly superior" than Alex Smith then please explain why he needed an injury to beat to overtake the starting position. The fact is our defense and running game rule, and as of today CKap only has potential.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 26, 2012 5:26 p.m.

@ Duckhunter

"The fact that Harbaugh wanted Manning" is not because he had little faith in Alex, it's that we are talking about Peyton Manning. Harbaugh wants to win any way he can. Smith has been really good the last two years going 22-6 as the starter counting the playoffs. Now Harbaugh is going with raw talent in Keapernick. It doesn't mean Smith is weak. He overcame nearly being lynched in San Francisco, and despite never having any stability around him with all the coaches and coordinators, Smith never lost his belief in himself. I applaud his toughness.

I think the same of John Beck. He could shine if put into the right situation. Some guys never get the chance.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 26, 2012 5:16 p.m.

Smith has always been under appreciated in San Franciso. He cmae from a spread attack at Utah, was thrown to the wolves in his early years in SF running a pro set with an terrible Niners organization and coaching staff. Smith had some injuries, was presecuted by the fans and media, and had 6 coordinators and three head coaches in 7 years. Finally he got a good coach in Harbaugh and went 13-3 running a new offense yet again last year. He did that with no training camp because of the late lockout resolve. Smith took the Niners to the NFC Title game, and by no fault of his own, watched Kyle Williams two fumbles cost the Niners a Super Bowl appearance. Alex played great in last years playoffs and won a shootout (putting up points and numbers) against Drew Brees and the Saints. This year, Alex was 6-2 as the starter, but Harbaugh is going with the young talent and cheap contract of Colin Keapernick. Alex and his contract migh tbe traded. Don't forget that Smith was offered the starting job elsewhere but he has always been loyal to a team that never had his back.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 26, 2012 5:08 p.m.

Smith proved he cannot beat the Giants......I say stay with Kappy and let him develop! He is already just as good if not better than Smitty? Smith should get out his resume....KC needs a good QB!

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Nov. 26, 2012 5:07 p.m.

I suppose I should defer to Duckhunter who, as a BYU fan, has a lot more experience following backup NFL QB's than I ever will. That said, Alex Smith has a higher average QB rating in 2012 than Kaepernick has as his all-time best, a better command of the offense than Kaepernick, and he led the niners to within one dropped pass of going to the Super Bowl. I highly doubt Kaepernick will take them that far, but I guess we shall see.

Here's what's going to happen: They're going to go with Kaepernick the rest of the way, then halfway through their first playoff game when they're losing, they'll insert Smith. He won't be able to pull it off and SF will exit the playoffs early, blaming Smith all the way. He will get traded to the Cardinals in the offseason and QB them to a 2-0 record against SF because he knows their offense better than they do. The Niners will go 8-8 next season with Kaepernick.

• dustman Nampa, ID
    Nov. 26, 2012 4:48 p.m.

I really like Smith, but that Kaepernick can play. He has a lot of zip on the ball, he can air it out, and he can run. He's had a couple of good games. I think the classy thing to do is keep Smith the starter and work Kaepernick in. This way you can squeeze all the juice out of Smith without pushing Kaepernick too hard and injuring him early in his career. Let him work it in and take the spot. Both are doing well now, but Kaepernick is physically superior to Smith right now, and its obvious.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 26, 2012 4:23 p.m.

No one should be surprised by this as even at his best he has only been ok. Yes I know he has had a few good games, but week in and week out he has been no better than average, and for most of his career he has been pretty bad. I know utah "fans" have spent the last year proclaiming he was on his way to greatness but nothing about his talent, or performance, has ever lead me to believe that. The fact Harbaugh wanted Manning last offseason showed how little confidence he has in Smith and this has simply confirmed it. He may become a backup somewhere else but his extremely brief time as a starter has come to an end barring an injury to the vastly superior Kaepernick.