Utah

Will Huntsman re-join Obama administration as secretary of state?

Comments

• birwin Herrmian, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 5:03 p.m.

"Monson said it would seem unlikely Huntsman would be brought back into a Democratic administration after running against President Obama"

Ummmmm Didn't our last Secretary of State run against President Obama?

• gharmons Helendale, CA
    Nov. 12, 2012 10:37 p.m.

If he accepted such a post, he would have to implement a shameful foreign policy and be part of mutiple coverups of Obama failures. Obama would never let him be the kind of Secretary of State that he would want to be.

• TopCat772 Patchogue, NY
    Nov. 11, 2012 10:18 p.m.

Huntsman is terrific. The country would benefit greatly if he became Secretary of State. I just hope he can accept that post without it hurting his chances for a future Presidential run with the extremists in the GOP somehow feeling betrayed.

• Gregory Hill Richboro, PA
    Nov. 11, 2012 11:23 a.m.

What an ungracious comment by "The Truth", and not at all fair.

Jon left high school to be a rock star, but when he tired of that lifestyle, he earned his GED and earned a degree in international politics from the University of Pennsylvania (the oldest of the Seven Sisters of the Ivy League).

He served a full term as governor of Utah, and left during his second term (with an 80% job approval rating) to accept President Obama's invitation to serve as Ambassador to China, where he served with exceptional skill before returning home to run for President.

Huntsman was an Eagle Scout. He completed an LDS mission. He served with distinction as Ambassador to Singapore and Deputy US Trade Representative.

What have you done, in your life, that even approaches this level of accomplishment?

• UteMiguel Go Utes, CA
    Nov. 10, 2012 11:52 p.m.

No chance Obama appoints Huntsman. Zero.

• On the other hand Riverdale, MD
    Nov. 10, 2012 11:11 p.m.

@UtahBruin, what exactly did the founding fathers intend? Since they often didn't agree with each other, which ones are right on which topics? How can you be certain that you understand their points of view? (As much as we like to think the founding fathers' work was universal, their views were a reaction to their unique circumstances, which were very, very different from our own.) How do they apply to the issues facing the country today? What other details might have some bearing on the political decision-making that the founding fathers didn't (in many cases, couldn't) consider?

In recent years, one popular conservative strategy is to claim that the founding fathers support the conservative position. Too few right-leaning people question such claims. Just because somebody says the founding fathers believed or did this or that doesn't necessarily mean that it's true, that it's that simple, or that it's right for America today.

There's nothing wrong with conservativism per se, but there's a huge problem with trying to treat political positions as articles of faith. The operative word should be "reasoning", not "belief."

• Gregory Hill Richboro, PA
    Nov. 10, 2012 12:00 p.m.

I hope with all my heart that this rumor has substance. It would be a wonderful bipartisan gesture on the part of the President, and it would be good for the country.

John Huntsman was a great Ambassador to China, and he would be a marvelous Secretary of State. He has the diplomatic skill, the personal charm and social polish, the mind, the connections (both personal and through his father), and the temperament for the job. The country could not find a finer person for the job.

I also very much hope that Jon considers a move into the Democratic Party. The GOP is no longer the right place for him. He would be a rather conservative Democrat, like Bob Casey of PA, Joe Manchin of W VA, and even (to some degree) Bill Clinton. He would be a great Democratic Senator from Utah.

Utah needs a vigorous, vital two party system, and Democrats nationally need more centrists and moderates. A move by Huntsman into the Democratic Party would be welcomed by most Democrats. Our party remains a "big tent." Bill Clinton shows just how far a centrist Democrat can rise.

• the truth Holladay, UT
    Nov. 10, 2012 11:59 a.m.

Why would anyone hire Huntsman for a job?

Huntsman quits everything he does.

He quit high school,

he quit the govenornship,

he quit his ambassadorship,

he quits...

Hunstman is a quitter, don't waste your time.

• John K Carmichael, CA
    Nov. 10, 2012 7:01 a.m.

Funny. Most conservative analysts are saying Romney lost because he wasn't conservative enough.

• utah cornhusker NORFOLK, NE
    Nov. 10, 2012 3:27 a.m.

I don't think he will be Sos. I think he ended that chance while trying to vie for republican nomination for potus.

• sg newhall, CA
    Nov. 9, 2012 6:22 p.m.

One of the smartest moves obama could make.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 5:12 p.m.

This would be a great move. It will further paint the mean spirited radical tea party Hannity conservatives into a corner.

• Third try screen name Mapleton, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 2:57 p.m.

Huntsman has about as much chance of becoming SOS as Utah has of hosting the Olympics every 20 years.
    It's a nice Utah fantasy and nothing more.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 2:12 p.m.

Remember when Republicans had Michelle Bachmann, Donald Trump, and Herman Cain all beating both Jon Hunstman Jr. and Mitt Romney in the primaries?

Ya - I'd say the GOP needs to be doing ALOT of soul searching over the next 3 years....

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 1:39 p.m.

Huntsman is as fake as Obama. If he became S of S, is there enough TV talk shows for both him and the Obama's. Not sure. Don't like Huntsman, never have, not even when he was Gov. But that is just me, doesn't mean my opinion is right, I just don't like or trust the guy. One question I have, why is it bad to be conservative. Why is it bad to believe in hard core principals that we were raised on, at least I was. Why is that a bad thing. So I am more of a conservative, bible believing, founding father believing, person. Why is this a bad thing? People slam the conservatives because they are maybe a bit more cautious in their beliefs, they put a little extra behind a law or belief, might I remind you, exactly what our Fore Fathers intended, what Pres. G Washington invisioned. I am just curious as to how we can be wrong now when so many established and built our country on these same values. Just curious.

• Archie1954 Vancouver, BC
    Nov. 9, 2012 1:23 p.m.

When you bring the political opposition into your cabinet you are risking being stabbed in the back!

• imntmrmn Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 12:34 p.m.

Do not normally vote republican, however NEVER vote a straight ticket. However, I would have voted for John Huntsman!! HANDS DOWN!

• oldrunner Ogden, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 12:11 p.m.

Huntsman is not evil and is far too smart to be a republican. He is exactly what this country needs in a leadership role. He is progressive, compassionate, intelligent, and
    fiscally conservative. He was republican in Utah because that is the only way a person can get elected.

• Fern RL LAYTON, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 11:14 a.m.

It is interesting that we may all speculate on what will never be a ballot issue, but I am happy to find out that Huntsman and I share some philosophy that I hadn't imagined before. I also believe that a third political party could be in order. How about having a Moderate Party? This presidential race was close to a tie because Americans are usually more moderate than either major party allows for.

If Huntsman is offered the position as Secretary of State, I would hope he would accept it. If he wants to run for POTUS in four years, and there is no Moderate Party ticket to run on, I would like to see him run as a Democrat. That would be enough to turn a thoroughly Red state Blue, wouldn't it?

I voted for Romney because I believe he was the very best choice for the economy and I believe this is the year when a great deal of change is needed in Washington to turn the economy around, and I don't mean merely by promoting more spending. Romney has the best understanding of economic principles of any candidate in the last 50 years, at least.

• GiuseppeG Murray, Utah
    Nov. 9, 2012 10:47 a.m.

I don't believe Jon Huntsman is a RINO, just a quitter!

• RRB SLC, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 10:11 a.m.

JustGordon

There are no more moderate liberals either, that's why the country is divided. Huntsman quit at being governor, then quit at being ambassador. He is an open door liberal that wants a one world order of business and workers.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 10:03 a.m.

Huntsman has quit his last few jobs when they were no longer convenient for him - he it not "moderate", merely squishy

LValfre - your resentment provides no evidence of Romney's faults - merely your own

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    Nov. 9, 2012 9:37 a.m.

@Aggielove

"Since when did romney ever slam his faith on us?
    Or are you intimidated by Romney maybe?"

Romney is not a man who can separate his faith from politics and policies. He's not a man that can put his 'faith on the shelf' while dealing with the public at large. Gay rights, civil rights, abortion, women's rights, and marijuana prohibition are some of the current issues that are gaining momentum. Romney would not let these pass even if popular vote wants them b/c of his faith.

Huntsman represents modern America with a multi-cultured family, experiences, and acceptance of all. Romney represents old America, corporate LDS white-bread you name it. I'm white but it's unnerving to see a candidate THAT white bread.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Nov. 9, 2012 9:29 a.m.

"Huntsman seems to have endeared himself to the left..."

And as a Republican, this is a bad thing why? Someone who could draw voters across party lines.... and some think this is a negative. Go figure.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 8:42 a.m.

@ JayTee, not funny and in extremely poor taste.

Did everyone see the joint appearance of Van Jones and Mary Mat on Wolf's show? The GOP needs to get over its toxic emotional issues and move on for the sake of the country.

• bullet56 Olympia, WA
    Nov. 9, 2012 8:38 a.m.

I think Mr. Huntsman would make a good or excellent Sec of State. China is a growing world leader and diplomacy is much needed in our relations with them. My former Gov., Gary Locke, is the Ambassador in Beijing, and that has lead to much more export and commerce with China for the US and for Washington state. Just speaking the language is a huge plus. Mr. Huntsman is a good choice no matter what his political affiliation. He is American, as any of us.

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    Nov. 9, 2012 8:36 a.m.

LValfre
    CHICAGO, IL
    I liked Huntsman a lot. He was balanced, fair, seemed to have integrity, has a mixed cultural marriage and family, great foreign experience, and is distanced from his faith (if he even still has it). Unlike Romney, Huntsman won't slam his faith and beliefs down the throats of the general public.

Since when did romney ever slam his faith on us?
    Or are you intimidated by Romney maybe?

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 8:34 a.m.

This President and his myriads of advisers and Chicago bunch doesn't do anything without a political part in the whole process. Jon Huntsman Jr. will be good for the country if he is allowed to do his job. At times, a person gets a job because the Boss can then control what he does and says over the time period that he is hired.

Huntsman knows foreign affairs, Chinese, and how to get things done the protocol way and leverage the country's ability to work in such a large and small area with people. He has worked in the environment, foreign affairs and with President Obama and for Hillary Clinton.

The President has inside information on Huntsman from his previous tour in China so he has been vetted and was not involved in the GOP primary too long.

The Senators that approved him will be similar to the ones before and should not be a hard process for him, either.

We need good people in government and he will serve the country well.

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    Nov. 9, 2012 8:29 a.m.

• Wonder Provo, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 8:12 a.m.

I don't think Obama will appoint Huntsman again, but I bet he picks a Republican for Defense. We shall see.

• Dante Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 7:54 a.m.

What a pipe dream. No way Huntsman will be considered for S of S, though he may reasonably be considered some kind of undersecretary.

The Obama administration has shown its penchant for appointing intrusive ultra-liberals to cabinet positions. John Kerry is tired of being a senator, he's sufficiently non-pragmatic to be an Obama appointee, and he aches for the job. His place in line can be overcome only by a lesbian and/or African American. Since Susan Rice has been appointed the sacrificial lamb/scapegoat to take the heat for the Bengazi disaster, she's out and will be busy testifying on Capitol Hill for the next few months. I say the job will go to either be Janet Napolitano or John Kerry, depending on which one kisses Valerie Jarrett's ring the most convincingly. Kerry is much more of an appeaser and is less masculine than Napolitano, so I'd guess Janet will get the appointment.

Huntsman will get nothing. Valerie Jarrett will see no need for Obama to appear non-partisan now that he has no more elections to wage.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 7:42 a.m.

John Huntsman vs John Kerry: Well that sure shows what Obama is looking for. Liberal. The burning question for me is. Has John Huntsman decided whether or not he is LDS?

• JustGordon Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 7:25 a.m.

All those who think Jon, Jr. is a Democrat are guilty of incorrectly positing that to be a Republican one must have only a certain small and narrow subset of values. It is just that kind of "non think" that lost this Presidential campaign for Republicans.

There are no longer any moderate nor liberal Republicans, only conservative Republicans. In fact, the word conservative has become synonymous with Republicans. This polarization of the Republican party to the far right is the catalyst for most of the legislative long jams in Washington. The Democratic party as moved more to the center in recent years, despite Fox radio and conservative talking heads yelling daily "socialist" at everything and anything the Dem's might propose.

Obama care was after all the product of a conservative think tank and used by a Republican governor on the state level. It utilizes private insurance companies, hardly the stuff of real socialism.

Until the far right and many conservative Republicans, especially Utah Republicans want to embrace diversity within their party and not adherence to some conservative rorschach purity test, they will do nothing to heal America, and guarantee themselves loss of the Presidency in the next election too.

• RRB SLC, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 7:12 a.m.

Bookings is a liberal think tank. He's not a Republican. His family moved their maufacturing plant to Texas to take advantage of their illegal labor. I don't think he is the man for the job. He's way to soft with China, and his family would sell out America to make a profit.

• Justmythoughts Provo, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 6:52 a.m.

Huntsman seems to have endeared himself to the left...

• DC Alexandria, VA
    Nov. 9, 2012 6:24 a.m.

Sorry, but Huntsman is an empty suit. Not a whole lot of there there. A deep (or even a shallow) thinker he is not.

• Guam_Bomb BARRIGADA, GU
    Nov. 9, 2012 6:16 a.m.

Call me crazy, but I don't think Huntsman left China on the best terms. What's more, he should have known that there was a potential for controversy just him being where he was. I can't believe that the Ambassador to China wasn't briefed on the protest that he claimed to stumble across.

I don't believe that he has what it takes to be on the international stage. He was Ambassador for less than two years. I do like him as a national politician and think he could do a lot for this country. But I don't think he's ready to be America's lead diplomat.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 5:21 a.m.

As I have said before I also wrote in Huntsman for President. I'd be curious to know how many people did. He was the absolue best candidate in the Republican field this year (and yes, DN Subscriber 2), Huntsman is a real Republican, not a far right wing fringe-dweller RINO).

It pleases me to see that Huntsman still puts the good of the country before ill-based allegiance to a political party. I hope he is chosen to be Secretary of State. He is well-qualified for the job, and would be a good one.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 5:18 a.m.

I think this story is more about Utahns here wanting to be relevant, but Utah cast its lot. The state may be at an all time low in terms of influence in our nation's capital. Such are the choices you made.

• mulrich Columbia, SC
    Nov. 9, 2012 4:33 a.m.

Those who say Huntsman is a RINO use a different definition of "republican" that I can't agree with. Huntsman is conservative but he's not willing to bow before the right-wing ideologues who are responsible for scaring independent people away from the party. Just because he believes in things like science and bipartisanship doesn't mean he's not conservative. Hopefully Huntsman will take another shot at the republican nomination in 2016; he would easily be at the top of my list.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 12:34 a.m.

It will depend on who can write the bigger check to the DNC, the Kerry or Huntsman family; I'm sure the DNC got a pretty check with the China ambassadorship appointment in 2009.

• Moderate Thinking Astana, Kazakhstan, 00
    Nov. 8, 2012 11:29 p.m.

I suspect the job will be John Kerry's. Another across-the-isle possibility would be former Senator Lugar. However, I would be absolutely ecstatic to welcome Gov. Huntsman as my new boss, as would the majority of my colleagues who know him.

• 1aggie SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 11:16 p.m.

If Huntsman had not displayed the bad judgement to quit the Obama administration and run against him, he would have been in line for (and probably been promoted to Secy of State). But inviting him back would be a step backward for the Obama administration, which is not a serious possibility.

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 11:14 p.m.

I could buy into this idea. He loves to be involved in leadership roles. He is a gentleman that would add a little class to our Chicago bunch ruling the nation. Go for it John Jr.add some leaven to the loaf.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Nov. 8, 2012 11:04 p.m.

I would not be surprised at all to see Governor Huntsman join the President's Adminstration, although I think Secretary of State is a bit of a reach. I suspect between now and the end of the year we'll see who wants to stay for the second term and who decides to go back to private life.

• spring street SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 10:23 p.m.

@cats
    given how far on the wrong side of history Utah has been the last two presidential elections I am not sure that is a bad thing for huntsman.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Nov. 8, 2012 10:13 p.m.

I like John, a lot, probably because so many tea partiers call him RINO. That means he gets it, and isn't bending to the purist Republican crowd, meaning he can think for himself.

But I give him little chance at this. I fear the days of bi-partisan reaching across the isle are dead.

• Third try screen name Mapleton, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 9:51 p.m.

The DN is milking the silly season for every ounce of rumor.
    Most of us are just glad it is over. Why continue to torture us?

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 9:44 p.m.

Huntsman is definitely finished politically in Utah.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 9:33 p.m.

If the repubs want to get back to leadership on a national level they need to support guys like Jon Jr.

• ImaCaMan Oceanside, CA
    Nov. 8, 2012 9:11 p.m.

I like it! Good man.

• kfbob SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 9:04 p.m.

Having worked with Gov. Huntsman's staff at the State level it is obvious that he is a motivator, and ornamental person that appear to have "gravitas" but is more of an symbolic leader lacking detailed knowledge of the nuts and bolts of government operations.

• The Dixie Kid Saint George, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 9:00 p.m.

Huntsman, Rice, and Kerry are three of the most unpopular names Obama could appoint.

• Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    Nov. 8, 2012 8:52 p.m.

Doh! I could have done a write-in!

Huntsman cam be secretary of state but he should do it only on the condition from the White House: if he runs for president, the White House can't give him a recommendaton smack in the middle of the Republican primaries.

• Timothy Benton City, WA
    Nov. 8, 2012 8:33 p.m.

If Jon Huntsman had been the republican candidate he would be the President today...I also did a write in for him as I believed that President Obama has been ineffective(but I do hope he improves)and Governor Romney was just a political egotist who thought he could buy the election...As the General Authorities have said,it is time for prayer and healing and I do believe that having Governor Huntsman serving in the capacity of Secretary of State would be a tremendous thing...He is a very intelligent man,kind,decent,spiritual without being a zealot,but most importantly capable of being very tough when he needs to be...I would hope that he would serve if asked and such a high profile position would most certainly assist him if he decides to run again for POTUS...At any rate,having a member in such a prestigious position is nothing to sneeze at...

• UTAH Bill Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 8:13 p.m.

Huntsman is good at no matter what task he takes on. He'd have made a great president. Obama would be wise to use Huntsman in a lead capacity.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 8:11 p.m.

@ LDS Liberal

"This is why I did a write-in and voted for Jon M. Huntsman Jr for President last Tuesday."

Shame on you? I voted for Johnson but neither of us got sucked into furthering the status quo.

• Pragmatic Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 7:48 p.m.

Huntsman was a lousy Presidential candidate. He doesn't have the gravitas or the stature to be President. And I liked him before he ran for Presient. If he has the opportunity to be Secy of State, he should be all over that!

• ParkCityAggie Park City, Ut
    Nov. 8, 2012 7:47 p.m.

Huntsman should have been the Republican nominee, he would have at least had a fighting chance, undoubtedly would have had more independent votes. Huntsman 2016? I sure hope so, and if Republicans are smart he's the guy. These "true conservatives" the tea party fantasizes about would get spanked hard... as we just saw two nights ago! Americans are moderate, not right wing, not ultra-liberal.

• DN Subscriber 2 SLC, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 7:42 p.m.

Huntsman is not bad, for a Democrat. (Despite his pretending to be a Republican)

However, Obama could do a lot worse in a choice for Secretary of State. Since China is our main competitor, or rather the place financing all of our deficit spending, we really need to be on good terms with them, and Huntsman did a good job as ambassador. But, I think Huntsman may be in over his head on other confrontational relationships with Iran, Afghanistan, Israel (which should be a friend, not an adversary) or thugs like Hugo Chavez.

• I Bleed Blue Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 8, 2012 7:40 p.m.

This would be a brilliant move for Obama. Huntsman knows China and he would be a wonderful resource. He is also well respected.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 7:23 p.m.

Huntsman avoided directly attacking the GOP in his interview and said he cares more about the future of the country than the future of the Republican Party.

“It’s a time when people just want to know they’re going to be OK,” he said. “Sometimes party politics can run counter to the reassurance that people are looking for, so it’s a time when we need to start thinking about what’s right for the country most of all. And then I think party politics will follow.”

=========