Linda & Richard Eyre: How a Romney win might affect Mormons

• JonathanPDX Portland, Oregon
    Nov. 6, 2012 5:18 p.m.

It is more than likely that little if anything will change if Mr Romney is elected. All politicians talk a good game, but when it comes to push and shove, it's Congress that inevitably makes the changes, if they decide to make any at all. The last 4 years is a testament to what Congressional apathy can accomplish...very, very little.

I only hope that whomever gets elected can apply whatever pressure is needed in whatever circles he can to get the United States back in business. As it is, unless something is done, we're facing 4 more years of a do-nothing Congress, and everyone blaming the President, just because it is an easy thing to do than placing the blame where it lies.

Well, actually it lies with all of US. We allow these shenanigans to go on in Washington year after year, because most are too lazy to get involved in the day-to-day running of our nation. And politicians have grown accustomed to being special...and they're not. They're simply citizens just like us. And we should always remind them of that fact.

• JParkerfan St. George, UT
    Nov. 6, 2012 2:27 p.m.

A lot of these comments make me smile. I for one hope that Romney wins and the opportunity is given to the members of the church to "step up to the plate." I know that the church members will handle the extra attention with ease.

I don't quite understand how people who claim to be biblical scholars can say that the LDS church's beliefs are unfounded in scripture and science. Kind of like someone parting the red sea and walking on dry ground. If you have faith that God can do all, then I don't see how our beliefs are "unscientific" or "unhistorical."

I'll take Romney's record on truth telling any day over the campaigner in chief. Benghazi anyone? The lies and coverup are some of the worst in the history of our country.

Go Romney/Ryab

• tigger AMERICAN FORK, UT
    Nov. 6, 2012 11:17 a.m.

I cringe at articles like this.

• Filo Doughboy Bakersfield, CA
    Nov. 5, 2012 9:54 p.m.

The evolution of the 1830's Mormon message to present-day theology has caused more curiosity than an LDS candidacy.
    That would only be topped by a Mormon sitting down and answering legit questions about their claims and prophecies.

Binders full of archelogical proof would be far more fascinating.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 5, 2012 9:33 p.m.

I think "Binders full of Women" created more curiosity.

• donburi South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 5, 2012 8:36 p.m.

...curiosity will increase geometrically...????

What does that mean? Increase by squares? angles? circles? triangles?

I think the word is "exponentially".

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Nov. 5, 2012 7:12 p.m.

It's going to be moot tomorrow evening anyway.

The campaign has been a terrific interest generator for people about the church. hardly a day goes by that some coworker doesn't ask me about something they've read or heard. Usually they are uncomplimentary, and they don't believe it based on our personal interaction experiences. All the discussions have ended up dispelling errors, inaccuracies and explaining the differences in certain doctrines even if we don't agree and no one is flash converted. All in all, its been good - and one perceived barrier in society has been overcome.

• Filo Doughboy Bakersfield, CA
    Nov. 5, 2012 7:09 p.m.

I agree with the Eyers that LDS Church visibility would increase exponentially. I personally will look forward to that, as I am hoping more access and openness to church history and doctrines will widen the theological discussion in scope.

I do question the difference between what a "sincere" question and a "cynical" question is, however. They aren't mutually exclusive, if you are open to honest investigation.

As a Mormon by heritage and early childhood testimony, I perceived any questioning as cynical and 'offensive', right through my mid-adult years. But upon accepting legitimate inquiries from "concerned Christians", I realized that I had never researched or objectively challenged/tested my theology in Biblical litmus.

Now that I have been worshipping and serving as a Biblical believer for the 2nd half of my life, I recognize where we failed as LDS to openly answer serious/cynical questions that challenged our claims. I came to understand that it wasn't a world that didn't know or "get" my religion... It was/is a world that can't believe we would believe such unscientific, unhistorical claims. Quite a different curiousity than I had perceived.

Bring on the flood lights.

• Pragmatic Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 5, 2012 7:05 p.m.

A couple of comments;

First, I hope the mainstream media does not get hold of this article. The tone of this article could be very dangerous to the Romney Campaign (good things it ends tomorrow!) This article supports the bad feelings and suspicions that many people have towards Mormons. and,

Second, If Romney wins without question each and every Mormon will be under more scrutiny. I don't think most church members are up to this, and many don't have the skills to know how to best deal with this.

Good luck Romney!

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Nov. 5, 2012 6:18 p.m.

@We wear Blue

Here's why you don't hear anything about Reid. He has been the Senate 'leader' for several years now and has absolutely squandered it. The Senate that he is supposed to lead hasn't produced a budget in 3 years. He's had a chance to shine and he blew it. And now he's vowing to NOT work with Romney should Romney be elected.

• Bebyebe UUU, UT
    Nov. 5, 2012 6:16 p.m.

Why would it matter one way or the other?

• Leo Femedlers El Paso, TX
    Nov. 5, 2012 5:22 p.m.

The only point left out of the article (and this might have helped those who were hoping for more of a religious slant) was the inspiration President Monson received to lower the age of missionaries. Announced 1st Session in October. Inspiration received....?

• annewandering oakley, idaho
    Nov. 5, 2012 3:55 p.m.

I am surprised that the Deseret News wants to be perceived as unbiased now. It has been so patently biased to the one candidate that it seems to make a mockery of the church refusing to support a candidate, which as an LDS person has been very annoying.

• RG Buena Vista, VA
    Nov. 5, 2012 1:52 p.m.

What's this about comments not being posted on the DN's political articles until after the polls close? Does that apply to this article? I don't know if this article is considered "political" or not. In any case, I don't at all understand the reason for such a policy. Can someone explain it in a convincing way?

• BYU Track Star Los Angeles, CA
    Nov. 5, 2012 11:18 a.m.

In my humble opinion, work is about work. Sharing opinions on the above in the workplace is counter-productive to our employer. Therefore don't discuss ... Utah is a right to work state afterall.

• higv Dietrich, ID
    Nov. 5, 2012 6:55 a.m.

People that avoid taling about religion and politics to avoid offending people avoid government and God. That is one of the silliest statements I have heard.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Nov. 5, 2012 6:42 a.m.

deep breath and lighten up. it's an article. people choose to be offended.

• Really??? Kearns, UT
    Nov. 5, 2012 6:24 a.m.

Personally, I long for the days when I felt like the Deseret News actually published real news instead of PR fluff pieces for the church. I appreciate the articles about the LDS Church, but don't they belong in The Church News and The Mormon Times? They don't belong in here. If the editorial board made some effort to keep the two separate, the Deseret News would take a nice step to being considered a legitimate news source again.

• Lasvegaspam Henderson, NV
    Nov. 5, 2012 2:10 a.m.

BYU Track Star: Actually, the only things worth talking about are religion and politics, for they inform our worldview on every other topic. So sad that you feel you must hide in plain sight at your workplace.

• 1aggie SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 5, 2012 12:40 a.m.

Mitt Romney is so demonstrably truth-challenged, it makes me cringe to think that he even has a chance (however slight) of winning on Tuesday.

• We wear Blue ogden, ut
    Nov. 4, 2012 10:42 p.m.

Thank you for proving my point. Your "Romney Ryan 2012" comment confirms the not so subtle reason for the article.
    I would not be offended if this were on the "opinion page" , but to put it out there on the "faith "page is wrong.
    I want to read about missionaries, temples, love and charity in the Faith section. Not some veiled attempt to tell me how I should be voting if Im a Mormon.
    Mitt Romney is a politican, not a missionary.

Thanks for telling me to settle down

• BYU Track Star Los Angeles, CA
    Nov. 4, 2012 10:24 p.m.

At Work two rules to always live by: Always avoid discussions on Religion and Politics. Religous beliefs and Politcs are personal affairs and shouldn't be brought up period. JMHO

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 4, 2012 9:42 p.m.

Blue, It seems today that someone somewhere is offended by somthing! Take a deep breath and count to ten.I loved the article and thank the Eyres for writing it!

Romney-Ryan 2012

• We wear Blue ogden, ut
    Nov. 4, 2012 4:57 p.m.

My question is ; would this same article have been written if Harry Reid was running for President?
    I highly doubt it.
    The article deserves to be run in the Political section, not the Faith section.
    I for one am offended.

• We wear Blue ogden, ut
    Nov. 4, 2012 4:56 p.m.

I highly doubt it.
    The article deserves to be run in the Political section, not the Faith section.
    I for one am offended.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    Nov. 4, 2012 3:51 p.m.

I feel VERY strongly that each of us will be under enhanced pressure to be better Latter-Day Saints. Yes, the LDS Church is clearly Christian but our actions must leave no doubt in the eyes and minds of those who take notice of us that we truly live as we should.