Sports

BYU football: Quarterback commit Billy Green finishing high school out strong

Comments

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Nov. 6, 2012 7:20 a.m.

Looks like a good recruit. Not stuck on himself like a certain other Washington all world QB that no longer plays at the Y.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 5, 2012 3:26 p.m.

@Sport Fan
    Nothing screams paranoid and insecure like bringing up Utah all the time. The strory is about a good BYU QB recruit from Washington. Stay on topic. The anti Utah rants grow old and tiresome.

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    Nov. 5, 2012 1:45 p.m.

GK Willington

Nothing screams irrelevance like being forced to adopt 10-loss Colorado as your new "rival" and then LOSING to Buffs at home.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 5, 2012 8:29 a.m.

I've watched this kid play a couple of times. He's very good. Much better than I thought earlier in the year. Let's hope he doesn't turn out like Jake Heaps. Tanner Mangum is also a great QB, but I think he's on a mission and won't join the team for awhile.

• Darth Vader Ogden, UT
    Nov. 4, 2012 2:41 p.m.

We love this guy already. Toughness and true grit!

• Pendergast Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 4:50 p.m.

@ brownderby

"BYU will have more fans at Gonzaga for basketball than the Utes will have at Wazzoo for football. "

Really? Are you sure?

• GK Willington Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 4:47 p.m.

BYU has a stellar track record w/ QB from the Evergreen state; don't they?

Re: Uteanymous

"I'd rather be Independent and enjoying watching my team playing interesting teams from across the country, than to be stuck at the bottom of a "relevant" conference trying to convince myself that I'm relevant."

Nothing screams relevant like byu's remaining 2012 schedule. Tell me; is Hostess a major sponsor?

• Bigbluepuma Kearns, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 4:21 p.m.

Interesting to knock him for being a 2-star recuit from a small Christian hs. That's the same hs resume as Hoffman, and a better resume than some former players who have become Pro Bowlers. BYU has made a living amoung the greats for over thirty years by finding the hidden gems that the other big programs overlooked. Why do you think so many recruits start getting attention and offers from other schools after BYU gives them their first offer?

• Amorphous Saint George, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 12:37 a.m.

Mr. Green has a very similar profile to James Lark, minus about 1000 yards/season. Be careful, Mr. Green, that all the stuff the coaches tell Brother Green is taken with a grain of salt. Prepare to rehearse the words over and over again, in your mind or out loud, doesn't matter which, "At least I am getting my education paid for!"

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 12:09 a.m.

@Brownderby

Switching a TV deal worth $8 million per year for one worth $20 million per year is a crummy compromise? Please don't run for office.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 2, 2012 10:03 p.m.

Wow! How exciting for the BYU Cougars! Welcome aboard Billy Green.

• ed in atl Duluth, GA
    Nov. 2, 2012 7:47 p.m.

At the end of the GT/BYU game last week, a GT fan asked how many stars do our players usually have when being recruited to BYU. Most of them are 2 or 3 stars. But really most are walk ons that play with heart. Look at what walk on Falslev did on KO returns. They then said it has to be coaching! Referring to how they get 4-5 star athletes and the terrible year they are having. I don't care how many stars a kid gets some of that is way over rated.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 2, 2012 7:30 p.m.

byu will make him awesomer.

• RedBlood Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 2, 2012 5:14 p.m.

Sounds like a great quarterback. It seems to be fairly clear to the local universities that they are in need of better skill at the quarterback position. Utah has a QB arriving this spring who passed for DOUBLE the amount of yards this year as the guy mentioned in this article. In fact, he has shattered the California single-season passing record (4,219 yards) set previously by a guy named Matt Barkley. Google Conner Manning from El Toro high school in California.

It is looking like we'll have some fun watching Utah schools and their quarterbacks in the next few years. Hopefully this influx of talent will lead to more wins.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Nov. 2, 2012 5:14 p.m.

UC Baller, happy to oblige with the help of Google. King's High School enrolls shy of 500 high school students. It is a Christian school in the Seattle area. In 2005, Sports Illustrated named the top high school athletic program in Washington State, so they have done some good things. Their football team is undefeated throughout the regular season this year.

The size of the school where a quarterback prepped has little to do with what is in his heart. Jake Heaps played for a 5A powerhouse and now he is at a miserable Kansas program. I think we will all have to wait to see how this shakes out. Predictions, whether optimistic or pessimistic, are premature and will probably all be wrong.

Meanwhile, on another note, someone should let Chris B know that the WAC will no longer exist as a football conference in another month. I will respond to MightyMite's respectful question - in the context religion is relevant because much of the criticism leveled at BYU is that they cannot recruit outside their faith. A Christian non-LDS recruit is interesting to the constituency, just like Jamaal Williams was.

• brownderby Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 2, 2012 5:02 p.m.

Naval Vet,
    Now I want you to breathe deeply and slowly, and then read carefully. Try not to jump to any conclusions.
    I will try to help you understand: The Pac12 and the Big 12 actually did want BYU. Any conference in their right mind would want a school with great academic achievements and a very complete athletic program. And one that travels well. How about 5500 Cougar fans at GaTech last week. BYU will have more fans at Gonzaga for basketball than the Utes will have at Wazzoo for football.
    The truth is that both of those conferences would be delighted to have BYU if the school would agree to Sunday play and give up their fabulous TV program for the lesser Pac12 channel. Since they would not do that, then it was a simple decision for BYU. Independence is better than a crummy compromise.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Nov. 2, 2012 5:01 p.m.

@NavalVet - "You're not independent because you WANT to be. You're independent because neither the Pac-12 nor the Big 12 wanted you."

U are not in the PAC12 because they wanted you. U are in the PAC12 because the schools they wanted didn't want to be in the PACxx.

I'm sure BYU would rather be in the Big12, but Holmoe made a mistake when the Big12 called and Holmoe got nervous not knowing whether OK and OkSU would stay. But being independent is better than the MWC and BigEast.

Looking forward to watching BYU play Notre Dame, Texas, Wisconsin, Boise State, Georgia Tech, Houston, Utah, Hawaii, Washington State and Utah State next year. I don't care if the other two games ended up being Idaho and New Mexico State. We have 10 great games.

• Lightening Lad Austin , TX
    Nov. 2, 2012 3:58 p.m.

Thanks for the update, I read a blog written about Billy and his observations on the visit and the OSU game. He's very bright, humble and appreciative. I think the fans will love the young man for his on-the field work, his character and the positive attitude he exudes. Welcome Guy, BYU is very grateful to have your verbal

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 2, 2012 3:33 p.m.

Isn't it great to see that all it took was one win over a really bad team for naval vet to get enough confidence to come back from his 6 week vacation.

LOL!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Nov. 2, 2012 3:08 p.m.

Uteanymous:

I have to laugh at how frequently I hear Y fans saying, "I'd rather be [fill in supremely inferior scenerio to a Pac-12 situation], than [fill in mega-million dollar TV deal/superior bowl tie-in(s)/built-in competitive Football/etc.]", because I KNOW you'd rather be in a relevant conference like your #1 choice Pac-12, or your #2 choice Big 12. What you're doing there -- aside from sacrificing your integrity -- is called "sour grapes". You're only "saying" you'd rather be there, because you really have no other choice in the matter. You're not independent because you WANT to be. You're independent because neither the Pac-12 nor the Big 12 wanted you.

• SoCalTrueBlue2 San Diego, CA
    Nov. 2, 2012 2:32 p.m.

42 touchdowns and only 2 interceptions? Unreal stats. I don't care if he's from a 1A or 2A high school. He obviously knows how to throw accurately and has a very bright future. I am very excited about him coming to BYU.

• HaHaHaHa Othello, WA
    Nov. 2, 2012 2:20 p.m.

Very accurate Provo4Life. Green Plays for a 1A private Christian school, and has led his team to victory over all the top 2A schools in Washington state this year, except the current number 1 team. This is the same 2A division that produced Kellen Moore, and Jake Locker, who both played for colleges that either did or could have given BYU all they could handle in the past few years. No guarantees on Billy Green, but BYU has a whole load of those botched prospects in recent years. I would give him a chance!

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 2, 2012 2:10 p.m.

Naval Vet

I'm surprised the Utes haven't already signed Northern Colorado to a multi-year series. Playing a couple of teams from the Front Range every year may be the only chance Utah has of qualifying for a bowl.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Nov. 2, 2012 1:36 p.m.

Chris B:

Since Green is a 2-star QB who wasn't recruited very hard, and has no other D-1 offers, I don't foresee him backing out of his verbal. And neither do I see the WAC as a Football-playing conference after the Idaho Potato Bowl either. Now he still might have a chance to take down Idaho and NM State however. Afterall, thus far they, like the Y, hadn't been wanted by any relevant conference either. So they'll most likely join the cougs in independence.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 2, 2012 1:35 p.m.

mightymite

"Why do you even have to mention religion in this article?"

Why not?

It's a topic of interest for every BYU recruit, especially for the BYU-haters who are constantly whining about BYU not being able to attract skilled non-LDS players.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 2, 2012 1:32 p.m.

So Cal Misreader

"You wanna know how often any paper outside of Happy Valley writes such articles about recruits, recruits mind you who always have the possibility of de-committing before nat'l signing day? How about never!"

The real answer to your question is:

EVERY time a new recruit commits to the local program.

btw, EVERY recrut has the possibility of de-committing before national signing day? That's why every article written about recruits includes the caveat "verbal commit" and why NOT A SINGLE program in the country relaxes on signing day until they have those all important National Letters of Intent signed and in hand.

Wake up and join reality instead of living in your own little fantasy world.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 2, 2012 1:29 p.m.

Sounds like a decent commit. My question is how will Doman change to fit the type of QB that is being recruited?

I guess I ask it because I have the same question for my own team. I know of two OC's that simply are not ready for the big time and could cost jobs to a few coaches down the line if loyalty does not take a back seat to wins.

• Provo4Life PROVO, UT
    Nov. 2, 2012 1:26 p.m.

@ UC Baller
    His school is a 1A classification in the state of Washington, which is the equivalent of a 2A program here in Utah. The high school he attends has just under 500 students. I don't know if he had a whole lot of offers outside of BYU, but he will have some time to sit and learn and when his time comes(if it ever does) he will be ready. He seems like he is a winner

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Nov. 2, 2012 1:26 p.m.

so. cal reader,
    I thought the DNews was the Cougs Booster Newsletter. Do tell, is there another newsletter out there that would give us more information? (Actually, I know there is but I don't want to cough up their annual fee.)

warnason,
    Please note that Chris B will never let facts get in the way of posting his drivel on a BYU article.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Nov. 2, 2012 1:18 p.m.

@ IJ "Maybe you could place an astrick by the articles So. Cal Reader and the like don't want to read." No worries. I didn't read this one, other than the title. I guess I'm still perplexed by the high school football fedish of this paper coming from the East High School debacle. I just had no idea high school football drove Utah, or at least Happy Valley, as much as it does.

• cougardevil TEMPE, AZ
    Nov. 2, 2012 1:13 p.m.

I hope we can get some good O-line talent so our highly-rated QBs have enough time to make good decisions.

Even stellar QBs will perform poorly if we lose the line of scrimmage.

• SyracuseCoug Syracuse, ut
    Nov. 2, 2012 1:06 p.m.

Cool, hope he plays well for the Cougars. Welcome.

• Blue Chelan 56 Chelan, WA
    Nov. 2, 2012 1:05 p.m.

I haven't fact checked it yet, but I believe Chris B. has moved out of middle school and into the 9th grade. Don't be too hard on him. Lets wait until he gets his first job and is at least a junior in HS.

• BigCougFan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 2, 2012 1:00 p.m.

The kid sounds bright but what he can do on the field won't have any bearing on the team for a couple years. I'm excited to have Hill at the helm next year. Green will work his way in and won't see action until at least 2015 and then only as a back up.

• warnason Provo, UT
    Nov. 2, 2012 12:40 p.m.

I don't know what Chris B is talking about, but Dallin Leavitt didn't decommit. That's according to every recruiting website you can find, check your facts first before you post bud.

• IJ Hyrum, Ut
    Nov. 2, 2012 12:33 p.m.

Maybe you could place an astrick by the articles So. Cal Reader and the like don't want to read. I, for one, do not receive the Cougs Booster Letter and enjoy hearing about the recent commits.

I also enjoy reading what other think, even if it derogatory by those who envy the Cougars.

• mightymite DRAPER, UT
    Nov. 2, 2012 12:24 p.m.

Why do you even have to mention religion in this article? You made it very clear is Christian and not mormon but does that really matter. Come on leave religion out of it.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Nov. 2, 2012 12:08 p.m.

The immense pressure & attention this paper and the sports writers put on high school players "committed" to BYU leaves me speechless. You wanna know how often any paper outside of Happy Valley writes such articles about recruits, recruits mind you who always have the possibility of de-committing before nat'l signing day? How about never! Who cares what this kid is doing his senior year in high school? I, for one, am only concerned about his productivity once he arrives on the Cougs college campus and straps on the pads. DN Sports Dept, please leave these types of updates to the Cougs Booster Newsletter. I see nothing similar written about recruits committed to SUU, Utah, Utah State or Weber State. I know the Church owns DN, but still no reason why the paper and sports department can't show at least a semblance of neutrality.

• UC Baller Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 2, 2012 11:58 a.m.

Re phantom blade.

Haha really? What a funny comment.

Little more complex than a basic HS offense. Isn't his HS 1A small? Someone enlighten me plz.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Nov. 2, 2012 11:56 a.m.

I think Green's days are a couple years down the road, as we get back to starting Junior and Seniors at QB.

2013 - Hill, Munns, Olsen, Green (redshirt)
    2014 - Hill, Olsen, Green
    2015 - Hill, Green, Kuresa, Mangum (redshirt)
    2016 - Green, Kuresa, Mangum
    2017 - Green, Mangum
    2018 - Mangum
    2019 - Mangum

The future looks bright!

• phantomblade Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 2, 2012 11:12 a.m.

The battle between Taysom Hill and Billy Green for BYU's starting QB position next season will be exciting to watch.