BYU football: Cougars lose a cornerback commit to Utes, but gain another

• bradleyc Layton, UT
    Jan. 30, 2013 10:51 a.m.

So students are going to change their minds. It's OK to do so.
    BYU seems to be getting ragged upon by certain writers for the mere fact that they actually stand for something. Something good, something righteous, something moral etc. The University of Utah is a great school with proud traditions. They can't stand for things that are righteous or moral because they are a state run institution. It is too bad because there are many good moral people who go there. On the other hand at BYU there are also great traditions and good moral people. The fact that they talk about being moral and standing for something is a credit to them but yet all I see on this board is others trying to drag them into the pit.
    I predict that BYU will beat Utah in football this next fall. Once they do this, the series should be cancelled for ever. I am sick and tired of the bickering between the institutions. We should celebrate the good and play down the bad in both organizations.
    Go Cougars!

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Nov. 1, 2012 7:55 p.m.

back @ Duckhunter 2:00 p.m. Oct. 30, 2012

Interesting. Especially when you consider there is minimal (but closer to negligible) demographic difference between fans, students, & staff between the 2 institutions.

p.s It did not dawn on me until now... byu is a "dry" university and renowned for their accounting program... let the party begin or not!

Nov. 1, 2012 7:17 p.m.

What I'm finding hard to understand is that if Coaches Howell and Mendenhall are so "concerned" for Davion that he'll just party and lose focus at Utah, why would they want a kid like that to come to BYU so bad in the first place?

Nov. 1, 2012 7:14 p.m.

Gary Kinney, I agree with you, he seems to be trying to make the choices that will positively impact his future the most, and still could very well jump for a better offer, and I wouldn't hold it against him (as many cougs fans already are), but I also think from what I've read from him that he's very comfortable with his commitment to Utah. He has publicly said that although UCLA and USC, his dream school, have been looking at him a lot lately, he's got a chip on his shoulder that they never recruited him before, while Utah has been since high school, and is motivated to compete against them, not for them. So that's what I know from him, but obviously you know him personally while I don't, so I'll note your word. He seems like a good kid, and a focused, hard working athlete, so I'm excited about his possible future at Utah.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 1, 2012 3:03 p.m.

Duckhunter said
    Does head to head record count as a measurable quantifier?
    Spin it Ducky, Spin it!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Nov. 1, 2012 9:33 a.m.

Your school lost 3 in a row to their big brother on the Hill, 8 of the last 11, doomed with a generation gap in the all-time series, never been invited to play in a BCS bowl, have an all-time LOSING record in the postseason, have a worse record than the Utes in both games vs. ranked opponents, and games vs. BCS-level opponents, and isn't wanted by any relevant conference in the country. So I'M asking YOU...

...How's that inferiority complex been working out for YOU?

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Nov. 1, 2012 9:21 a.m.

"If one kid changes their mind from Utah to BYU, we get accused of unethical activities, illegal recruiting, etc."

That's because recruiting a previously-committed player while on his mission IS unethical/illegal (per NCAA standards; not the DoJ). And in case you didn't know, Davion is a JUCO CB. Not a current missionary in the field.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Nov. 1, 2012 9:16 a.m.

"As a secular government owned school there is no moral code for that university, anyone can do anything they want there. Sleep around, drink, whatever, it all goes."

Not true. Utah DOES have a "moral code"; otherwise known as our "Honor Code". Just because our "Honor Code" does not have specific prohibitions on adultery/fornication, that doesn't mean Utah has no moral code. It just means we're an "institution of higher learning"; not a "daycare/seminary".

And as for alcohol at the U...

(1) Utah is a "dry" campus.
    (2) Underage drinking IS prohibited. And while I'm not saying underage drinking does not occur at the U, neither am I suggesting that it doesn't occur at the Y either. In fact, I KNOW that it occurs at the Y. I saw while I was there my Freshman year, and similarly, as a U student, I saw Y students drinking up in SLC. And while I'm not aware if those Y students drinking in SLC were underage (I didn't card them), I do know that the Y's prohibition on alcohol hasn't stopped them from imbibing.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Oct. 31, 2012 5:30 p.m.

@BlueCoug: "I do find some inconsistency in active LDS members who are loyal Utah fans despising BYU for openly supporting an Honor Code that is based LDS standards."

If you would read what has been written instead of giving things your own self-serving twists, you will see that LDS members who are loyal Utah fans the despise byU fans who are judgmental and pious, not the ones who openly support the honor code. You should save your preaching for those at byU who agree to the honor code, but don't live it.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Oct. 31, 2012 5:13 p.m.

You live too close to Boyd Stadium. You must know a lot about inferiority complexes. Thanks for worrying about me, though. No need to - I am a Ute fan. We are secure in our fandom.

Go Utes!! Onward and Upward!!

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 31, 2012 4:53 p.m.

Telling a recruit about BYU's strict rules is not the same thing as encouraging a kid to live by lesser standards. Coach Whitt is a devout member of the LDS church and encourages and supports his players who choose to serve missions. It is ridiculous to claim that he would preach against his own beliefs in recruiting players.

The only thing truly pathetic in this thread is your slandering of anyone associated with the U because you feel threatened and insecure about a complete stranger criticizing BYU's coach

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 31, 2012 4:16 p.m.

1st of all it is spelled "sell" not sale. Bronco wasn't trying to "sale" anything. 2nd of all BYU has had more success on the field these last several years than utah has by almost all measurable quantifiers. More wins, ranked more times, you know the things that actually matter. Also the most mpathetic thing I've ever read on these boards is your posts about this. I know whittingham and the other utah coaches use BYU's honor code and standards as negatives to recruits, they tell them they will have to live by those "strict rules" can't have fun, blah, blah, blah. Of course not only is that pretty much the same tactic that you are criticizing Bronco for using it is far worse because utah is actually trying to tell a kid that those standards are negatives for them. They are encouraging them to live by lesser standards in their lives. That is sad, that is pathetic, and that sums up what the utah program, and utah "fans", are all about.

• ute4ever West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 31, 2012 1:18 p.m.

I am well aware that negative recruiting exists at all schools. I'm sure that Utah coaches told Davion that BYU doesn't ever put DB's in the NFL. That is an example of negative recruiting and it happens everywhere. Even Bronco's attempt to sale the strength of schedule to him was ok. I'm perfectly fine using football negative recruiting as a tool

The "negative" recruiting that IS funny is Bronco saying he'd party more at the U than at BYU and that he couldn't focus if he were at the U. I'm not enraged, just amused. I guess when there really aren't many on the field selling points for your football team, BYU coaches resort to sorry attempts to sale off the field items. I'm sure it didn't come as a surprise to Davion that BYU is the reigning champion of the "stone cold sober" school.....so ANY school outside of Provo will likely party more. Really, Bronco has to go to the party card?

More than anything, it shows the lack of scucess on the field for BYU. Otherwise, he'd sell the program. Sad day for BYU.

• Gary Kinney Huntington Beach, CA
    Oct. 31, 2012 12:52 p.m.

Having worked directly with Davion I can assure you he never had plans to stay with his commit to BYU. He expressed as much to me when he told me he had verbally committed to BYU. He is just like most athletes today who don't hold their word as their bond.
    If something better comes around such as USC or UCLA he will jump ship for them over Utah.
    I wish him the best at Utah.

• JmThms Henderson, NV
    Oct. 31, 2012 11:22 a.m.

And you too: Hows that inferiority complex workin for ya?

• JmThms Henderson, NV
    Oct. 31, 2012 11:16 a.m.

Chris B,

'Normal' college experience? And why can't he have a girlfriend? Hows that inferiority workin for ya, Chris B?

• Me, Myself and I The Promised Land, UT
    Oct. 31, 2012 8:40 a.m.

Let's not fool ourselves. You can find a party at any University, College or town any time you want. I have witnessed some of the wildest parties I've seen right in "Happy Valley", most thrown by BYU students. So people who think partying and living the Honor Code effect an athletes decision on where to play it's not near as big of a factor as most might think.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Oct. 31, 2012 8:29 a.m.

Go Utes

I'm a Utah grad. My father, father-in-law, and many of my aunts, uncles, and cousins are Utah graduates. I've been attending football and basketball games at RES and the HC for decades, so I'm fully aware of the how things used to be at the U, and how they are now. I've sat in the middle of the Utah student section wearing BYU gear, back when you could do so with only some mild heckling. I was sitting in the middle of the Crimson Club for Beck to Harline.

Most of the time, Utah does have a "great family atmosphere," but things have changed. To suggest that Utah has a "great family atmosphere" on game day for any visiting team, but especially when the Utes are playing the Cougars is patently false. Try wearing a BYU jersey to a BYU-Utah game at RES sometime and you'll get a clearer picture what things are really like at the U.

• Jefe-Ute SLC, UT
    Oct. 31, 2012 7:33 a.m.

Most of these BYU fans is the reason why I hated attending BYU. Yes I am a Ute fan that attended BYU. If a player wants to see the biggest load of hypocrisy about the "band of brothers" go to BYU. If you want a competitive atmosphere in school, in your ward (if LDS) and socially, attend BYU. If you want no activities and a student organization that hoardes all of its money to go on their own vacations, attend BYU. I have been to both schools and Utah BY FAR is the more friendly, family atmosphere than BYU. BYU is a self-righteous, judging, competitive group of people.

• UteMiguel Go Utes, CA
    Oct. 30, 2012 10:44 p.m.

They both seem like great kids who have made the decisions that are best for them individually.

• Dave S Holladay, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 10:22 p.m.

Glad the kid made the right choice to join the best program in the state and the conference of champions!!!

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 9:35 p.m.

"Many hormonally challenged kids with no thought for the future will always gravitate to places where they can get drunk, laid and mess with drugs. U of U, by your description, seems a better fit. That's fine with me. BYU will take those with a greater desire for education and morality than an extension of being a high school jock."

So BYU lost a commit to Utah. Big deal. Your post is one of self-righteousness and pure arrogance. It is the reason why so many Ute fans despise the BYU fan base. Not to mention that it makes all Latter-Day Saints, who many associate BYU with, as stuck-up snobs, which isn't true of course, but it is hard to defend against the claim. Fortunately, I won't judge all BYU fans by your remarks, but many will. Sadly, however, over 20 people "like" your post.

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 8:10 p.m.

Their is a simple answer for the negative commentors toward BYU. I believe it is one that they fully understand but choose not to come right out and talk about. Why? Because is can be a positive or negative thing for their school also.

The honor code at BYU is a very big issue. Same reason that many people do not join or attend the LDS church and speak negatively about it. They choose to not live the lifestyle. On the other side of the fence, for athletes who do not want the liberal college lifestyles or the requirement to play on Sunday, then BYU becomes a good fit for them regardless of LDS membership.

It would appear that that gap is widening. Utah is gaining a liberal college reputation and as time goes on it will most likely be even more apparent. Sunday play will become a bigger issue for many kids also.

Bottom line there will be kids who choose Utah over BYU because of the lifestyle available there. But the reverse will also apply and those who choose the LDS lifestyle will more likely end up at BYU.

• GACougar Atlanta, GA
    Oct. 30, 2012 8:04 p.m.

ModerateBob, thank you for all the time you spend on the Deseret News "glorified blog". Must be worth your time or you would not be here.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 7:08 p.m.

LOL! that you think all schools don't bad mouth all other schools recruiting the exact same kids. And yes I can give you examples of utah coaches saying far, far, far worse things about BYU than the one you are so sillily outraged over.

• the truth Holladay, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 7:00 p.m.

Any one recruited this year WILL NOT be playing against any of those teams except perhaps Hawaii which has traditionally been a competitive team. Having one down year does NOT mean they won't be decent in the future.

When arrogant hypocritical Ute fans stop persecuting BYU and their fans.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 6:18 p.m.

Oct. 30, 2012 5:51 p.m.

@ IdahoCoog
    Disappointing comment you made judging these two young men that you have probably never met. Neither of the two has made a promise to anyone until a LOI is signed and even then minds can be changed. That is always a right they have and not knowing the cirumstances we have no ground to pass judgment.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 30, 2012 5:20 p.m.

@ Broomhockeychamp

"Performance on the field"? Utah has beaten BYU three years in a row, and 8 of the last 11. Utah has 3 times the amount of current NFL players then BYU. Try again.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Oct. 30, 2012 5:09 p.m.

Better schedule at BYU? The latest Sagarin ratings lists the four worst FBS schools in order: Massachusetts, Idaho, New Mexico State and Hawaii. I may be wrong, but, aren't three of those schools on byU's schedule this year? BTW - cougar blue just might be beyond ecstatic by their home November schedule this year!!

No wonder Davion Chose The Red!!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Oct. 30, 2012 4:49 p.m.

What I like is that Davion said that Bronco told him that byU has a better schedule than Utah. Really?? Besides throwing out the "they party" card, that was particularly humorous. I'm surprised he didn't claim that byU puts more people in the NFL!!

Welcome home Davion!!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Oct. 30, 2012 4:46 p.m.

Don't kid yourselves people, a kid who wants to party, have girls, do drugs, etc., will do it regardless of where they go to school or what code they have agreed to. It happens all the time in Provo, if you think it doesn't, it's only because of your blue blinders. Don't be so self-righteous as to condemn a team, a school or a community just because it is outside of Utah County. There are great people on the Utah team who are solid LDS, including coaches, and many - MANY great fans who are solid LDS, including ..... The Prophet! If byU were the only place for LDS players, there would not be high profile LDS players on other rosters, including Manti Te'o on Notre Dame and Jake Murphy (the ex - four star byU commit) on Utah.

Get off your high horses. Davion picked the better program for him. He wants to play in the NFL, enough said!!

Nice to have Davion aboard. It has got to be painful to you southies that Utah got byU's highest rated 2013 recruit (per Rivals) to date.

• Go Utes Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 4:31 p.m.

@ BlueCoug,

People find what they want to find at the school they choose, depending on the type of person they are. I attended the U and loved it. You may find it hard to believe, but while at the U, I never drank alcohol and never engaged in immoral "partying." I did find my wife and was sealed to her in the temple. The U is a great family atmosphere. Certainly one who is looking for it can find bad things. NEWS FLASH: so can someone who is looking for it at BYU. Get off your unbecoming high horse. Glad you enjoyed BYU; good on you. But know that there are thousands of Mormons and other good people who have a great experience at the U and live fulfilling lives even though they were deprived of the apparent and purported celestial bliss that is BYU.

Your attitude represents one of the main reasons I declined my acceptance to BYU and chose to join with other great Mormons and other good folks at the U. Glad to see that that attitude is still alive and well after all these years. Keep it up BlueCoug.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 4:24 p.m.

Are we comparing again?

• Broom Hockey Champ Scottsdale, AZ
    Oct. 30, 2012 4:22 p.m.

I'm quite comfortable with this transaction. BYU seems to be getting the better defensive players, anyway, as evdidenced by the performance on the field.

• ute4ever West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 4:16 p.m.

What I found interesting was the final recruiting pitch made to Davion by the BYU coaches, which said (from Davion's mouth) he would "have a better schedule at BYU and it would it would be better for me - that there would be a lot of partying at Utah and it wouldn't be good for me because I need to be focused". The BYU coaches also said they would continue to recruit him to get him back.

I find it pathetic that BYU coaches have to go to the "Utah is a party school and will ruin you" card in recruiting. Why couldn't they just sell the good things about BYU's football program? I'm not sure why ANY recruit would choose BYU over Utah if they are looking at the quality of the CB position. Just look at the recent NFL success of Utah CB's and it's easy to pick the better path as far as football goes. Utah is a fine place to be. There's no honor code, but in no way does that mean everyone is partying it up. Sad, sad method of recruiting in my book.

• Proud Ute ,
    Oct. 30, 2012 4:14 p.m.

Congrats to both young men for the opportunity to get an education and play Div I football.
    Get that degree!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 30, 2012 3:35 p.m.

No need for either fan base to get all excited. A verbal comitment doesn't mean squat. Kids change their minds; no big deal. I hope the kid signs for Utah and wish him all the best.

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 3:11 p.m.

Welcome to BYU Trent. Cougar Nation is proud to have you on the team.

• ModerateBob Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 3:08 p.m.

Brandon Gurney, the Iraqi Information Minister of BYU Sports (or is that Greg Wrubell…. I think it is debatable). I think it is funny that the Deseret News has basically become a glorified blog.

Anyhoo, kudos to Mr. Gurney for understanding that his fan base needs to be handled with care and that he needs to follow up bad news with some good news, even though the good news happened nearly a month ago.

When will we Mormons get over our persecution complex?

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 3:04 p.m.

"Many hormonally challenged kids with no thought for the future will always gravitate to places where they can get drunk, laid and mess with drugs."

As someone who doesn't drink, get laid, or mess with drugs, I think I like being a Ute more than a Cougar for many reasons (for one the U is the only one of the two with my major) but one of them is so that I could avoid the self-righteous air of superiority enough BYU students have.

Drinking is not allowed on campus. Regardless, I'm sorry that my school doesn't maintain the Christian-based Sharia law standard your preferred school has.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Oct. 30, 2012 2:49 p.m.

But when on kid changes their mind from BYU to Utah, it's because of Utah's superiority, PAC, etc.

BYU's not for everyone. Utah's not for everyone. Good luck Davion.

As long as BYU can continue to recruit DBs like Johnson, Hadley, Sampson, Sorensen and Bills we'll be fine. These are not the DB's of five or ten years ago. I'll take BYU defense this year over Utah's any day.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 2:44 p.m.

If you are going for football then the U is hands down the best opportunity. Playing in the PAC 12 pretty much says it all. The Y has a nice campus experience no question for freshmen recruits but now that will change dramatically with the 18 year old missionary change. 18 year old freshmen young men at the Y is going to be a thing of the past going forward. BYU football is going to change ... for the worse I'm afraid if they continue to recruit heavily LDS young men. These high school grads are going to go on missions now which means your first look at them is going to at age 21 most likely after they have returned from their mission and then most likely red shirted a year after that. Tough situation. BYU would be better served to recruit more non lds kids like they used to during the Edwards years. You get the kid for 4 straight years right out of HS. Some of these kids convert to the church which is another plus.

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 2:20 p.m.

Why not? Academics are a gimme and there are no personal conduct standards. He will fit in well with the utes.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 2:00 p.m.

And I've found the majority of utah "fans" really aren't fans at all. I notice you come around every time you think the morality of the university of utah is questioned, I'm not sure why. As a secular government owned school there is no moral code for that university, anyone can do anything they want there. Sleep around, drink, whatever, it all goes. No need to stick up for something that doesn't exist don't you think?

• CG Orem, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 1:56 p.m.

LOL at your "morally challenged" whining. Just because a BYU recruit and his parents are impressed with the very real difference between the BYU culture and the culture they see at most other colleges and universities, doesn't mean you have to feel "inferior".

• Anne26 West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 1:33 p.m.

@Rockon: Please tell me you are joking. If not, please know your opinions do not represent most of the fans/students who root for or attend BYU. Funny thing, I have found the most arrogant BYU fans are usually those who never actually attended the school.

• adelman provo, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 1:16 p.m.

LOL at BYU taking the "we're morally superior" route. Again. And I think the phrase "hormonally challenged" actually was used. Seriously? Just because a (NON-LDS) kid doesn't want to go to BYU, all of the sudden there is something physically wrong with this kid? He has worked hard and wants to experience college in a certain way, and he deserves to.

• Just Me Richfield, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 1:15 p.m.

I hate byu and yes they haven't recruited the best at db, BUT they have one of the best defenses this yearthat I've ever seen in the State of Utah history.

Just sayin'

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Oct. 30, 2012 1:09 p.m.

Chris B when will you wake up and realize that you are tooting the horn of something that in well less than 1000 days won't mean jack squat! In fact... It is now officially less than 800. The BCS corrupt system is dying an ignominious death and a look at the track record of its fabled poll this season proves just how dysfunctional of an elitist ball of rubbish it is. Oregon keeps getting jumped! Yes, you are in the BCS which officially dies in 2014. But even the BCS thinks VERY LITTLE about the little skunks of the Whacky 12. You lost 4 games in a row in that very conference. A win over a sub mediocre California squad is no reason to pound your chest... First beat Colorado and then ... Well, the Utes still haven't accomplished jack!

• NT Springville, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 1:05 p.m.

I usually only check the comments for the Ute trolls.

As usual, not disappointed.

• Disgruntled Nephi, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 12:44 p.m.

Chris B. finally emerges after weeks of silence. I predict another long period of silence starting in two weeks.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Oct. 30, 2012 12:41 p.m.

Too funny of an article. I don't think I've ever seen such a long article about an unoffice "commit" who still has a chance to decommit. When will the DN Sports Staff start the Heisman Trophy talk for this guy! Looks like a bye-week article for sure. Too funny.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 12:39 p.m.

"interesting that so many parents that come with their kids on recruiting visits to Utah walk away saying what a good, clean environment Utah presents and what a great family atmosphere it is."

Obviously those parents haven't sat in the middle of the MUSS on game day or been to a Utah frat party.

chris b

"How many times do we see kids commit to Utah and then change their minds to BYU?

Harvey Unga and Josh Sharp, to name just a couple.

BYU is unique and isn't for everybody, but, then again, neither is Utah.

BYU and Utah only go head-to-head for small number of recruits each year, so the real challenge for U is convincing recruits that Utah is a better place for them than USC, UCLA, Oregon, etc.

• showmeyatd's Pleasant View, Utah
    Oct. 30, 2012 12:34 p.m.

Davion switched to play with his cousin. I would do the same if I were in his shoes.

Utah will always have the upper hand in corner talent. Any honest BYU fan can admit that. The fact is though BYU has done a better job recruiting the right jc corners that are athletic. The 2012 BYU defense doesn't look like say the 2007 or 2008. Team speed is much better. Trammel looks to be a great fit in continuing what we have this year. He and Johnson will keep the corners locked down. Now the real question is will BYU allow taysom to throw the ball next year. Cause if they put up points, broncos D will do its part and manage points.

• jdub1942 PROVO, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 11:58 a.m.

"Many hormonally challenged kids with no thought for the future will always gravitate to places where they can get drunk, laid and mess with drugs. U of U, by your description, seems a better fit."

Come on Man! You're view from the bubble is seriously warped.

As a Utah fan, living in Provo, its cool that this kid from CA decided to make his own opinions, unlike some of my fellow fans, so good get from you guys. As far as Utah stealing a recruit from TDS, Meh, who cares I'd rather steal from our competitors.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 11:38 a.m.

Chris B ...

You won't see Trammel changing his commitment to Utah. Utah quit recruiting him before his commitment to BYU. Why that is I don't know. Before every BYU homer jumps on that comment I'll be the first to say it may have been because they knew he was leaning to the Y ... again, I don't know. But it does seem clear that Utah no longer has any interest.

RockOn ...

Interesting take. Also interesting that so many parents that come with their kids on recruiting visits to Utah walk away saying what a good, clean environment Utah presents and what a great family atmosphere it is.
    But that's okay, say what you want ... we all know your venom comes from jealousy.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 11:27 a.m.

Josh Sharp, Craig Cusick don't agree with you.

And, it is to be expected that if one school has tighter, tougher standards it will attract fewer people. Many hormonally challenged kids with no thought for the future will always gravitate to places where they can get drunk, laid and mess with drugs. U of U, by your description, seems a better fit. That's fine with me. BYU will take those with a greater desire for education and morality than an extension of being a high school jock.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 10:49 a.m.

Question for byu fans:

How many times do we see kids commit to Utah and then change their minds to byu?

Very very rarely.

How many times do we see kids originally big fans of Utah switch to byu?

same answer.

We've seen with examples like Chace Hansen, Zach Lindsay, Vaha Vainuku switching allegience from blue to red that the future of football in Utah,

is Utah.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 10:45 a.m.

"byu has a tough time recruiting top defensive back talent"

Interesting. I've said the same thing many times and byu fans try to dismiss this and pretend its not true.

Good choice by Davion.

As soon as somoene clues Trent into what Provo life is truly like(no parties, girlfriends, no normal college experience) he'll be using that talented speed he has to run north 30 miles to Utah.

I wonder if Davion's decision had something to do with Utah's inclusion in a real conference?

Or the fact that every single graduating class of the last 8 years has won a BCS game?

I guess winning BCS games was more enticing than winning WAC championships.

Go figure.