Faith

Muslims, Hindus more likely to abstain from sex outside of marriage than others

Comments

• TJ411 Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 4, 2012 10:30 a.m.

So am I reading this right. They conducted this study in face to face interviews? Anonymity is crucial in a study like this. It could have dramatically changed the results. Why weren't they just asked to fill out an anonymous survey?

• Truth Doctor Atlanta, GA
    Nov. 1, 2012 6:58 p.m.

Consequences are great influences. The Muslim consequence for adultery is death. The Christian consequence is forgiveness. This article should have considered these consequences as behavioral influences.

• Baccus0902 Leesburg, VA
    Nov. 1, 2012 11:44 a.m.

@ Jeff
    You wrote :"Also, I applaud you for suggesting that "we should follow the laws of the Lord." If I may say, this appears to signify a change from some of your previous posts."

I have to tell you that I am very liberal in my thoughts. However, I choose to live my life very simply and some may say, "conservatively".

As I said in my post " We should follow the laws of the Lord and live according to the dictates of our conscience. Not for fear to government and its laws but for love and conviction".

I believe same sex marriage should be allowed if two consenting adults have chosen each other to share their lives. If a heterosexual couple can do it, denying that to a homosexual couple is discrimination and inequality under the law.

Society and our laws should be secular. My spirituality is between me and my God. Nobody else.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Oct. 31, 2012 6:58 p.m.

LDS Liberal,

I understand your point. But in a world in which we are constantly criticized for not being sufficiently Christian, saying we are like Muslims only gives ammunition to our enemies.

• Jeff Temple City, CA
    Oct. 31, 2012 4:21 p.m.

@ foreal: Don't confuse genuine followers of Islam with crazies. I'm sure you would exclude those who use Christianity (including the LDS branch of Christianity) as an excuse for horrible acts (such as the Aryan Brotherhood)--I'm sure you would exclude them from being counted as true representatives of what Christianity is all about. Grant Muslims the same courtesy. Most practicing Muslims are kind, gentle, generous people who really want to do God's will by doing good in the world. The Taliban does not now and never has represented true Islam.

@ Baccus: The article seems to me to make the distinction between people who behave a certain way for religious reasons and people who require fear of punishment to motivate them. It says that the religious motivation is more powerful. Also, I applaud you for suggesting that "we should follow the laws of the Lord." If I may say, this appears to signify a change from some of your previous posts.

• foreal Saint George, UT
    Oct. 31, 2012 4:33 a.m.

The threat of death usually deters people from doing certain things.

@LDS Liberal: I completely disagree, mormons don't murder people for sins committed, or encourage continual abuse of women. Mormons don't chop hands off for stealing, or deny our people education, or allow men to throw acid in the faces of women. Sorry I just don't see the connection here.

• Baccus0902 Leesburg, VA
    Oct. 30, 2012 12:27 p.m.

I don't know if I would consider less sin in Muslim communities as an example. If we consider the heavy penalties that may follow those who steal, commit adultery, change religions, etc. Do we obey the law because the law is good or I obey because I am afraid.

Free agency is a principle we should not override. That is why I find laws against abortion, same sex marriage, or pro-praying, or teaching creationism in schools as laws that attempt to destroy the free agency of society.

We should follow the laws of the Lord and live according to the dictates of our conscience. Not for fear to government and its laws but for love and conviction.

I'm very critical of those who preach Free agency and yet want to impose their views via legislation of their beliefs.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 10:35 a.m.

Hindus have a very low divorce rate.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 10:16 a.m.

I've been saying this fro YEARS!

Mormons have more in common with Muslims, than with Jews or other Christians.