Sports

Dick Harmon: BYU's Dave Rose and the story of Don McCandless

Comments

• wahului Stockton, CA
    Oct. 30, 2012 10:36 p.m.

I haven't got the words......

• paulw Springville, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 4:22 p.m.

I knew Don as a lawyer, as we were opposing counsel on a few cases. It was a shock to hear of his death, and a sadness, in no small part because it has been such a pleasure to work with him from time to time. That isn't true of all lawyers. If more attorneys were like Don, there wouldn't be nearly so many lawyer jokes.

• vesparider Pocatello, ID
    Oct. 30, 2012 3:21 p.m.

Nice article. I didn't know Don but I saw a friend of mine from high school who grew up in his ward and talked about losing such a great example and former youth leader and what he meant to him over all the years. Your article made the connection to who my friend Chris was talking about. Thank you. Very well written.

• Alpine Blue Alpine, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 2:52 p.m.

Powerful and poignant reminder Dick. Thank you for the perspective.

Prayers, love, and condolences to Karen and the entire McCandless family.

• baddog1962 Holladay, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 12:17 p.m.

What an awesome tribute to my cousin & fiend. we have not had the opportinity to fish together for many years, but I fondly recall the many days that we did. His untimely death reminds me that none of us can take life for granted and our time here is short. May his family and friends smile at his memory and take comfort in one another....God Bless

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 12:14 p.m.

Thanks for the reminder and insight, we should all remember...Best wishes to your friend's family.

• jdub1942 PROVO, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 12:00 p.m.

As a utah fan, great article

• ogmson Mapleton, Utah
    Oct. 30, 2012 11:16 a.m.

I never met Don, but I knew Karen well. She is a great lady and is always serving others to the best of her ability--which is high. If Don was anything like Karen, he will be sorely missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to Karen and her family. Mapleton loves you too.

Thank you for the perspective and the reminder of what is really important in life Dick. You did it so well.

• Kolobian FARMINGTON, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 10:19 a.m.

Amen to this big time. Thanks for putting things into perspective. So often the importance of sports is blown so far out of proportion. I think especially in college sports, its really about the development of young men and young women. I think sports has evolved over the years to put so much emphasis on winning that for the most part it has become very negative.

Thanks for putting things in perspective. I for one, appreciate it.

• BigRich Orem, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 8:56 a.m.

Thanks for a great article. Most articles are informative. Few make a real difference. This one does.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 8:42 a.m.

That pretty much puts things in perspective. I know I am not prepared.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Oct. 30, 2012 8:29 a.m.

Dick- Tender article, and I'm sorry for the loss of your good neighbor. My father-in-law was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer 18 years ago & given 3-6 mos. to live. He was released from the hospital without any treatment. He wanted to live out the remainder of his life in peace. He's still with us 18 years later and going stronger than ever! He is truly a walking miracle, and our family and many others are blessed as a result.

I agree we should never take anything for granted in life. But as Cougs fans, we, you & others as sports writers have all the right in the world and the need to second guess coaching plays, calls, decisions making, etc. Because Rose has chosen to remain in the coaching profession (let's face it. There's a ton of other less-stressful things he could do) that stuff really does matter for the team itself and the success it sees. And I believe the coaches would view it as the same way.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Oct. 30, 2012 6:39 a.m.

Thank you Dick, for a very moving and inspirational story. So sorry about the death of your friend. My prayers go out to him and his family. It's times like this that should remind us all to get on our knees and thank our Savior for his glorious atonement and rejoice in the hope of the resurrection, immortality, and eternal life.

Thank you also for reminding us of Coach Rose's personal battle with that horrible cancer. May we as fans be mindful of that and strive to be civil and respectful when we disagree with any of his coaching decisions on and off the floor. My prayers are with him too. I want to see him at BYU for a long, long, time.

Go Cougars! and go Coach Rose!

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 29, 2012 11:57 p.m.

Very well said!

• Windpixie OREM, UT
    Oct. 29, 2012 10:41 p.m.

Thank you Dick, for your wonderful tribute to my husband.

• jprof Cedar City, UT
    Oct. 29, 2012 9:07 p.m.

Excellent piece, Dick ... a good read with a message anyone can appreciate. Thank you.

• WaybackCougar Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 29, 2012 8:58 p.m.

Thanks, Dick. We all need to take a sobering look at the realities of life every once in a while. You've given us much to think about.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Oct. 29, 2012 5:57 p.m.

Sorry about the passing of your friend and appreciative of you paying tribute to him and the gratitude for Dave Rose. Don is on to a great mission.

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    Oct. 29, 2012 5:02 p.m.

Amen and Amen

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Oct. 29, 2012 4:39 p.m.

Good thoughts Dick... Sorry for the passing of your friend; none of us get out of here alive, live each day with the long view...