BYU football: Cougars snap two-game losing streak, run over Georgia Tech, 41-17

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 30, 2012 2:11 p.m.

Lone Star Runner

Why do all of your post include "ifs" and "buts"? Now that's curious.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 29, 2012 3:57 p.m.

Sorry PapaSmurf, but your analysis completely ignores reality - one well-thrown ball to Hoffman wins the game against Notre Dame and a very capable Notre Dame backup QB.

Without the missed block on the two-point conversion, BYU beats Boise State.

Without the missed snap, scoop and score against Utah, BYU beats Utah without the help of the MUSS.

So, yes, BYU is indeed three plays shy of being 8-1.

And, let's not forget, BYU was only down 24-28 midway through the 4th Q against OSU.

BYU's "weak" offense, scored 14 points on a very stout Notre Dame defemse, more than Oklahoma, more than Stanford, more than Michigan State, more than Miami, and more than Michigan were able to score against the Irish, and as far as I could tell, Notre Dame's backup QB wasn't a factor on defense for the Irish.

Y Ask Y

BYU is 5-4. I would expect a true BYU fan to know that.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Oct. 29, 2012 3:32 p.m.

@anti-BCS and YGrad/Ydad

Point well taken. You make a valid argument. However, for me, I just can't look someone in the eye and say "I'm better than you," when that person has defeated me on the field and I have yet to beat him..., even if I have beaten someone who beat that opponent, I.e., Utah State. You're right, it is not all cut and dried, but to me, head to head carries a lot of weight.

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    Oct. 29, 2012 3:13 p.m.

"Paranoia is a BYU-hater being too afraid to even acknowledge a great defensive performance."

My goodness, the paranoia and defensiveness is a VIRUS!

I am a graduate of BYU!

Since when does having a healthy appreciation for reality, and disapproving of the current coaching decisions make me a "BYU-hater" who is also "too afraid to even acknowledge a great defensive performance"?

This isn't about defensive performances. It is about winning, and a 4-4 record is DISMAL compared to the expectations we should have for the team!

So get off my back already, folks. Not everyone drinks the koolaid, and not everyone who sees things differently than you is a "hater"!

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    Oct. 29, 2012 2:21 p.m.

It was a great defensive performance against a team (like yours) that had no QB. Notre Dame beat Oklahoma like they would have beat you had that QB played the whole game. You aren't anywhere near the team ND is. Just because you lost by 3, doesn't meant that you are a greaet team, and that you are 3 plays away from being 8-1 or undefeated. That's like saying the same thing about Utah. They are 5 plays away from being 7-1 with their only loss to AZ St that was a blowout. The UTES aren't, & neither is the Y. You are a very average team, with a defense that is above average. When you played a team with a good offense, you got beat 42-24. Every other game has been against poor teams, with even more poor offenses. Riley still doesn't have a signature win in his careeer. His best win was when he wasn't even a starter and game back to beat Utah St last year. Next year the Y will be lucky to be above .500, have fun Y fans, it's gonna get even worse.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Oct. 29, 2012 10:49 a.m.

Y Ask Y

Why are you trying to minimize a great defensive performance against one of the best rushing teams in the country?

As much as BYU's offense has struggled this year, BYU is only three plays away from being 8-1 with a road win (last week) against a team that is now in contention for the national championship.

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    Oct. 29, 2012 10:07 a.m.

"Isn't that all that U proved?

At least BYU did their "proving" on the road against one of the best rushing offenses in the country.

U did your "proving" at home against a team that struggled to beat Southern Utah."

What are you talking about? I am not a "U" fan! And I never mentioned the U in my comment.

Paranoid much?

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    Oct. 29, 2012 8:13 a.m.

Y Ask Y

"Way to go Cougars!

You proved you have what it takes to beat a team with a losing record."

Isn't that all that U proved?

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    Oct. 29, 2012 5:15 a.m.

Editorial people,

You denied my comment because "Comment included obscenities or vulgarities"?

Here is the comment. Please show me any "obscenities or vulgarities"!

"Way to go Cougars!

You proved you have what it takes to beat a team with a losing record."

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Oct. 28, 2012 8:40 p.m.

What anti BCS said.

I willingly concede that Utah beat us. Again. And that sucks. But that Utah is a better team than BYU? No, my opinion of what BYU has done since then is higher than that. To go to Notre Dame and play to within 3 of the #5 ranked team, a team that may well play for the national championship? A loss is a loss is a loss, but last week and this week show me what kind of team BYU could have been.

No other regrets than that. That's enough.

• anti BCS Anaheim, CA
    Oct. 28, 2012 5:28 p.m.

Winning the head-to-head does give you bragging rights, FOR THAT ONE GAME, but it doesn't prove that you're the better team, unless, of course, you're going to try to argue that Utah's new rival Colorado(2-10) was a better team than Utah(8-5) last year.

This season, BYU beat Utah State who beat Utah who beat BYU - it's obvious that head-to-head didn't determine which team is best.

For the answer to that question, see final records and national rankings.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 28, 2012 2:48 p.m.

It was even fun watching the ESPN video replays. It's great to have an East Coast win. Good luck on the rest of the season GT.

Oct. 28, 2012 12:54 p.m.

@bigsamoan, you are right in that mr GOP referred to the PAC 10, not PAC 12 - i assume an oversight and not a backhanded dig. See the copy and paste below. With that said, I think SportsFann said it best, so.........awesome win Cougars. It was a nice weekend for the big three!

"Nice win Cougars. I hate to say it but what a season it could have been. We were in basically every game and are a few bounces from a great season. So it goes with sports.

At least we have as many Pac10 wins as Utah does."

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Oct. 28, 2012 10:45 a.m.

@Lonestar runner
    "One game does not a season make."

That is true. But it does give you bragging rights against your rival. Neither team has done as well as expected this year but head to head, Utah beat us, plain and simple. That gives them the edge of who is the better team this year, last year, and the year before that. No matter how you spin it, head-to-head is 90 % of the argument. And believe me, I do NOT care for Utah. And as much as it pains me, on this question (who is the better team in football) the trolls are right.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 28, 2012 10:12 a.m.

It's nice to see the Cougars finally starting to play like we expected at the beginning of the season. BYU is 3 plays shy of being 8-1 and a Top 25 team, which simply shows how little things can change a season from great to mediocre. 9-4 with a bowl win is still possible, but BYU will likely look back on this season for a long time and wonder what could have been.

Utah is 0-1 in the WAC; 1-4 in the PAC 12

Call us the next time you finish with a winning record against ANY D1-A conference.

Meadow Lark

One game does not a season make.

• Meadow Lark Mark IDAHO FALLS, ID
    Oct. 28, 2012 9:21 a.m.

86&90Ute. You are right!! I am a BYU fan. But all this talk of BYU being better than Utah, you are right. Until BYU beats Utah then for this year and last year (I can't remember how many times you have now beat us) Utah owns us in football. Thats all I have to say. BYU fans shouldn't be saying anything about Utah until we can beat you. Honestly I think Utah and BYU are both good schools. Thank you.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Oct. 28, 2012 8:23 a.m.

Lifelong Republican did not say anything about BYU having more PAC-12 wins than Utah. Read his post again. I'm sure you'll eventually learn to comprehend what he actually said. Or perhaps you were purposely trying to show your obvious disdain of everything BYU, were you?

Even so, great weekend for Utah's big 3 schools...the Utes, Cougars, and the Aggies! Way to go! Football is fun again in the state of Utah, at least for this one special weekend.

Go Cougars! And good luck to the Utes and Aggies too!

• TheNun Granstville, UT
    Oct. 28, 2012 8:23 a.m.

Whew, it is so nice to know the November portion of the schedule kicks in next Saturday, and we can get back to the task of winning our second wac championship in a row. YAY!

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Oct. 28, 2012 8:14 a.m.

I'm pleased. Thanks Cougars for exceeding my expectations. It was a great win and in a great way and on the road. Celebration is in order.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 28, 2012 7:30 a.m.

Yes, you beat us. Your ONLY signature win of the season!

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Oct. 28, 2012 6:30 a.m.

I am pleased to have been wrong about the BYU and Utah games this week. Good win. Looks like BYU will go bowling. Not so sure about the U.

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 28, 2012 5:44 a.m.

I guess if your whole football season depends on one game each year then the previous writers are right correct with their childish banter. Utah did beat BYU but it was a disappointing ugly game for both teams. Since then it has been an ugly disappointing season for Utah and a what might have been disappointing season for BYU. But that was then and this is now. Kudos to Utah and BYU for exciting wins over Cal and Georgia Tech.

This article is about BYU's stunning win and the way the Cougars literally shut down one of the leading teams in the country in rushing offense. This win pretty well sets up a good shot at a winning season and another bowl game for BYU. The bowl game is important because it is not only a reward for having a good season but it provides more practice days that can help a team prepare for next year.

The TV broadcast was from the ACC network. It was fun to listen to them talk about BYU and the national following the school is building. Good stuff!

• SportsFann Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 28, 2012 4:46 a.m.

Why? Why? Why must BYU fans always have to make the stupid comments about Utah? As a Y fan, I am excited to have the win over Georgia Tech. True, the Y season has been a weird one with so many close losses, but it is what it is. Now if BYU beats the teams left, as they should, they could be 8-4 and if win a bowl game finish the year at 9-4. I am not concerned with who BYU is playing as the scheduled has been a solid one. I also hope the Utes keep winning. Let's, for one week, talk about BYU on our comment boards and have Utah fans talk about their success on their boards. All of the bashing is getting real old.

Oct. 28, 2012 12:47 a.m.

Good win Cougars!

Both BYU and Utah were expected to lose, so it is nice to see local teams doing well!

• moderateinmagna MAGNA, UT
    Oct. 28, 2012 12:33 a.m.

I will never understand how utah supporters can say that BYU no longer relevant but then continue to go on BYU articles and trash them,if you dont like BYU then stay off their articles and go onto the relevant utes articles ,growe up and stop causing trouble on BYU articles, the d news is starting to sound like the tribune by allowing the trash talk it says keep it civil but it seems that some ute fans don,t understand what civil means.

• 86&90UTE Holladay, UT
    Oct. 27, 2012 11:53 p.m.

So far, yes you have more PAC-12 wins than Utah, but you won't by the end of the season. But you will have more lower tier WAC wins than UTAH. So glad the U beat you again his year!!

• Lifelong Republican Orem, UT
    Oct. 27, 2012 11:25 p.m.

At least we have as many Pac10 wins as Utah does.