Utah

Massive $450 million project taps into unseen water below Geneva Steel

Comments

• FT salt lake city, UT
    Oct. 16, 2012 12:47 p.m.

Will all that recently discovered water douse my memories of "Smokin Joe" and his failed Senate bid?

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Oct. 16, 2012 9:52 a.m.

Quick, hurry up, I want to drink the water found below Geneva Steel. I hope before they start selling this off to cities for the community to drink that more than just a couple of test are done. This sounds far to much like a mistake find that someone all of a sudden thinks they can become a millionaire off of. And who cares about the possibilities of someone getting sick. Can we have Erin Brockovich review this before we press forward?

Also, all the cost is going to be past on to the communities, so how much is my water bill going to go up due to this new discovery.

Call me crazy but when I read this article it began to smell like Utah Lake, kind of fishy.

• Florwood American Fork, UT
    Oct. 16, 2012 9:23 a.m.

If the article is correct that they will be drawing less water from the aquifer than Geneva Steel did, it shouldn't have more of an impact on the lake and surrounding aquifers than when Geneva was active. I wonder if not tapping the aquifer the past ten years has had any impact...

• JP71 Ogden, UT
    Oct. 16, 2012 8:28 a.m.

It's hard for me to believe that water from underneath an old steel mill would be OK to drink. Geneva was operating when there was very little regulation and all types of chemicals were used. I am surprised that land is not a Superfund site.

• My2Cents Taylorsville, UT
    Oct. 16, 2012 5:14 a.m.

I think they are a little premature of making public distribution of this tub of contaminated water without knowing where or who will be affected by tapping in to this supply. Since this water is underground it may link to other water sources up stream and down stream, they could be depleting water supplies to other cites or water users. It's not likely that Utah Lake supplies this aquifer because aquifer are well below surface water sources.

During the years of Geneva there was no noticeable connection with Utah Lake water levels and consumption by the steel company, at least no known reports. I wonder if anyone bothered to check with the USGS for information they have on this water reservoir that has to receive supplies from other sources.

The project should move with caution keeping in mind there may be other hundreds of thousands of people tapped in to this reservoir and don't know it.

In cases like this though, out of sight means out of mind, and I didn't know political gambits.

• RichardB Murray, UT
    Oct. 16, 2012 12:37 a.m.

Can't help but think that water is coming from other peoples water. If the aquifers are all in the northern part of the county, someone is already drawing water from it. This just means it will be drained faster.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Oct. 15, 2012 8:20 p.m.

Well, I'm sure tapping this water will have little effect on Utah lake, the existing ground water level or other wells in the area!?!

• SLars Provo, UT
    Oct. 15, 2012 7:58 p.m.

When Geneva was built, they were given permission for 3-5 wells. (depending on who you ask) They ended up with 5. No surprise since old times have known for years it was there. 14 wells? If in the future UVU moves in, they are going to be sad they sold it. It will limit growth on their site.

Probably a shallow aquifer from utah lake water following the areas of peat moss.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Oct. 15, 2012 7:06 p.m.

Good find! Now, if we could just be so lucky to find crude oil in a vast quantity maybe we could get gas in the winter time down to $3.00 a gallon!!