Utah Utes football: Utes need to get better in a lot of areas

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Oct. 16, 2012 5:29 a.m.

tandj--"I will repeat what I said about Idaho. They made a wise decision in leaving the PAC if that decision was in fact there decision and not the decision of the PAC to boot them."

Idaho was never in, "The PAC", as we've known it....They were in the original PCC which was disbanded in the late '50s....Heck, Montana was even in the original-version of this conference.

Nah, PAC-12 bottom-dweller w/b byu going 1-2 this year against our conference, w/their only win against WSU at home in their very first game transitioning into Coach ML's new-system....I doubt the same result w/h happened had WSU-byu played later in the year.

Face it, reality has hit the byu-fanbase especially hard this year, w/the slight step-up in SOS [although byu's SOS currently ranks #65 nationally, whereas UTAH's ranks at #6, and byu's will take a serious hit come November].

I love being a BCS School and take our initial-struggles in stride as we transition/adjust [i.e., DEPTH, WEEK IN, WEEK OUT GRIND, etc.]....Enjoy it while it lasts, byu-fans.

• Troy06 OREM, UT
    Oct. 15, 2012 11:00 p.m.

I'm a huge BYU fan. But c'mon cougar fans, leave the Utes alone. If you're not paying attention BYU is not playing any better.
    In my opinion you should only post here if you are correcting a Chris B prediction or mis-quote.

Pls stop accusing the Utes as "celler dwellers". As I've said before, if BYU were in the Big12, what would be their win loss record?

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 15, 2012 8:40 p.m.

I'm with you Spokane ... bottom line, there's a lot of jealousy from the boys in blue. They don't seem to understand that arguing things like whether or not the U should have walked away from an offer to join the Pac-12, simply expose their jealousy and nothing else. I think we call this grasping at straws, right?

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Oct. 15, 2012 5:50 p.m.

We got our money. We don't care if we never win a game in the Pac. Football or basketball. It is all about the money. No more hiding in the MWC and then throwing together a good game plan for the bowl game like in years past. At least tickets are going to be cheaper when the football team tanks for a couple of years. Wait they can't lower ticket prices because it costs more money to be in the Pac? What?

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 15, 2012 4:55 p.m.

Motor Bike

You are spot on, I think TJ wants to argue, but I have no idea what about? He seems to think that after less than 2 seasons, that the Utes will always be at the bottom of the PAC 12. It's a good thing Arizona and Arizona State didnt' think that way. Also, there was some obscure reference comparing Utah to Idaho. Utah is about to collect over $45 million in TV revenue in the next 3 years. Why in the world would any Utah fan ever consider or want the Utes to leave the PAC 12? I doens't make any sense to me; especially knowing that a little over one year is quite different than forever.

• TandJ LaVerkin, Utah
    Oct. 15, 2012 4:52 p.m.

Motorbike, are you saying that the administration at the U is so autonomous that someone with good sense could not express themselves without the danger of being fired? Well, maybe when RES is less than half filled in the next couple of years, they will wish that they had listened to those having good sense. Like I say, I hope you all enjoy your years of being bottom dwellers in the PAC.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 15, 2012 3:42 p.m.

"Am I bitter that the U is in the PAC? No, not really. I just wish they had had enough sense to say nay. Am I bitter that BYU is not in the PAC. Certainly not. Hope they continue making wise decisions."

Had ANYONE with authority at the U would've said "nay" to the Pac-12 offer, they'd be fired and probably never have a similar job again.

You either know this but are just trying to argue with people to the bitter end, or you are severely out of touch.

• TandJ LaVerkin, Utah
    Oct. 15, 2012 3:30 p.m.

Hey U 90, you have not slowed down yet. Let your mind catch up with your written comments. They may then make much better sense. You see, you have no more justification for accusing me of being a closet cougar any more than I would have of accusing you of being a closet anything. Am I really a BYU fan? Not any more than I am U fan or a Weber State fan or a Utah State fan. I appreciate following them all. But, as I said before, I am not all that happy seeing the U as a bottom dweller in the PAC, especially with the anticipation that they are going to be a continuous bottom dweller of that league. You may be happy with that, but I am not. Am I bitter that the U is in the PAC? No, not really. I just wish they had had enough sense to say nay. Am I bitter that BYU is not in the PAC. Certainly not. Hope they continue making wise decisions.

• TandJ LaVerkin, Utah
    Oct. 15, 2012 3:09 p.m.

Spokane Ute, it would be nice if you took a deep breath and slowed down a little like I suggested to U 90. If you would slow down a little, your mind might be able to catch up with your written comments so that they would make more sense. It is sad that I have to point out to you that I never compared the U to the Univ. of Idaho. I could care less how many Idaho players went on to the NFL or how many bowl games they have attended, or if any of them were a B(ull)CS bowl. If there is anyone out of their element here it is someone accusing someone else of making illogical comparisons. I will repeat what I said about Idaho. They made a wise decision in leaving the PAC if that decision was in fact there decision and not the decision of the PAC to boot them. You appear to be wearing a big chip on your shoulder. Is that possibly because your Utes are dwelling at the bottom of the PAC?

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 15, 2012 1:58 p.m.

Oh he's blue alright.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Oct. 15, 2012 1:56 p.m.

So what you're saying is that you are a closet cougar. You went to Utah but really you are a BYU fan at heart and you are bitter that Utah is in the PAC12 and BYU is not.

What real Utah fan wants to leave the PAC12 to join a lesser conference so they can ensure a couple more wins each season. That makes no sense

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 15, 2012 1:54 p.m.

Hmmmm, let's compare the number of NFL players (former and current) by state: Utah = 107 vs Idaho = 59. Also, when's the last time Idaho won a BCS bowl? Comparing Utah to Idaho, in football, is like comparing UCLA to Idaho State. Not even on the same planet. It appears that someone is way out of there element on this thread.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 15, 2012 1:32 p.m.

"I was in the marching band at the U, and thus have attended many games on the Hill"

That explains a lot about your position and post. For starters, this is the second year in the PAC 12. The Utes finished 4-5 in the league last year and were one of 2 teams to win a bowl. They are exactly 3 games into conference play this year. Idaho? Wow, someone sure doesn't know college football. Stick to music, sports isn't your bag. For an alum, you sure come accross as being Blue!

• TandJ LaVerkin, Utah
    Oct. 15, 2012 12:36 p.m.

Part 2
    Grosscup, Nofsinger, Vaughn and the kid from Rigby, Idaho all played in the NFL, and the kid that I cannot remember his name is in the NFL Hall of Fame. It all worked pretty well back then, and we were relatively happy. I don't know, maybe you will be happy as a bottom dweller in the PAC. I really don't think too many Utah fans will be.

• TandJ LaVerkin, Utah
    Oct. 15, 2012 12:32 p.m.

Hey U 90, slow down just a bit to perhaps U 60, but did you notice that I am a U alumnus. Never attended BYU nor have I ever gone to a football game at BYU. I was in the marching band at the U, and thus have attended many games on the Hill. Now, is Utah as bad as I say. I don't really know exactly how bad they are, but I do know that they are celler dwellers in the PAC, and also knowing Utah fans, their stadium will look depleted if that condition continues (and in my own humble opinion, it will as long as they are in the PAC). I kinda like both BYU and the U. I would like to see them both win occasionally and also expect them to lose occasionally. But, I am not too fond of being forever in the bottom of whatever league or schedule the two teams have. I go back to the Grosscup, Vaughn, Nofsinger and a kid from Rigby Idaho (can't remember his name right now. (will continue in part 2).

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Oct. 15, 2012 12:04 p.m.

Funny you mention Idaho in your post... they're on your team's schedule not ours. BYU is much closer to the Idaho program than Utah is.

You do understand how ridiculous you and the other haters look by talking trash against Utah when your team is getting absolutely owned by the Utes, right. Every dig on the Utes by a Y fan creates a deeper hole for you to climb out of. If Utah is as bad a you say, then BYU must be horrible, right? 24-21 ring a bell? How about 54-10?

Keep posting TJ, the buffoonery is quite entertaining.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Oct. 15, 2012 11:54 a.m.

Lets insert BYU in your post and see how it comes out....

Will the Cougars rebound by beating New Mexico State, Idaho and San Jose State to prove they are a middle of the road Indy conference team and make it to a bowl game? Or will BYU continue to struggle and end up at the bottom with the other Indy cellar dwellers Army and Navy?

Your smack talk is weak because BYU is no better than Utah. You do realize that Utah's has scoreboard on your Cougars for the last 3 years, right? Try again Tex

• TandJ LaVerkin, Utah
    Oct. 15, 2012 11:46 a.m.

Hey, Spokane Ute, you really are having a little trouble with that new song at the U. I know, its that part about "I am a cellar dweller" isn't it? I really think all the members of that classy fan base at the U, of which you are apparenlty a part of, are going to have a very hard time getting along with the same portion of the song. But, unfortunately, I think they are going to have to learn to like it or simply get used to it. Perhaps the second part of the song (as long as we are in the PAC) will influence someone in charge at the U and give their classy fan base a break by leaving the PAC, or possibly the U will simply get kicked out of the PAC. Idaho comes to mind, but I truthfully cannot remember if it was their good sense to leave or if they got booted. And to think, I am a U alumnus.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 15, 2012 11:12 a.m.

I agree with Qwest. Utah needs to clean up the stupid penalties, get White/York more carries and win the turnover battle. If/when they do, they'll win - almost regardless of the opponent.
    If Kyle wants to go bowling this year I thought it was dumb to start Wilson against UCLA. Utah had already taken positive steps forward with Hays against USC. Continuity at that point is what I believe would've gotten us that win. Instead we saw BJ trying to figure out what plays to call for Wilson for the first 3 quarters.
    That said, the future is Wilson and he'll now have a chance to grow into his role more quickly. I hope he can stay healthy and learn quickly from mistakes. While Hays has made his share of bone-headed mistakes, I don't believe he would have attempted the throw that Wilson attempted which resulted in an interception. Wilson had no intention of ever going anywhere else with that ball even though two defenders were draped all over our receiver from the start of the play. That turnover and Kruger's neutral zone penalty likely cost Utah the game.
    Go Utes! Upset OSU!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 15, 2012 11:08 a.m.

Nice to see the classy BYU fans so concerned about our program. It sure doesn't say much for there fan base; now does it?

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 15, 2012 10:18 a.m.

How come Chrissy never comments over here? hmmm

• TandJ LaVerkin, Utah
    Oct. 15, 2012 10:18 a.m.

Hey, Cougfan, I hear that Chris B is already up on the Hill teaching the students the new version of their song. Goes something like, I am a cellar dweller and will be as long as we are in the PAC.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Oct. 15, 2012 9:49 a.m.

Will the Utes rebound and prove they are a middle of the PAC team, and make it to the New Mexico bowl? Or will U continue to struggle and end up with the cellar dwellers - Washington State and Colorado?

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 15, 2012 8:09 a.m.

You are spot on. They are close to winning, but they can not continue to make dumb mistakes. The offense really needs to put points on the board. You are not going to win in the PAC 12 when your offense puts up a 7 spot.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 14, 2012 8:46 p.m.

Seems like each week the Utes improve in a few areas - they just need to put it all together and play a complete game on both sides of the ball.

One thing that would help immediately is to cut down on the stupid penalties. Whether its lining up offsides, or a bad timed hold on a 3rd down and short the Utes have been killing themselves this year.

It was odd timing to throw Wilson into his first start on the road at the Rose Bowl but he seemed to grow up fast and the Utes ended up with more passing yards than they have had in all games that Hays started. Hays also made a great throw when he was needed.

Last year the Utes relied on John White to win and for some reason they aren't getting him the ball enough the last few games. The O line has gotten better and they seem to be protecting and opening holes. With Wihite and York, the Utes need to have more of a balanced attack. Like I said, I think they will be ok if they can put it all together for a complete game.

Go Utes!