Utah

Proposed Monticello wind farm stirs the air with controversy

Comments

• Dektol Powell, OH
    Dec. 31, 2012 8:45 a.m.

Wait til they are up and you will love the noise and vibration both. Higher winds will block much of the noise but lower winds will have those within 3-4 miles think they are hearing trains running all the time the blades are turning. Add in the grinding of the gear noise and you have a miserable experience.
    Putting them up is interesting but the traffic will get tiresome. That ends but the night sky with all the blinking lights will drive you nuts. Sunrise and sunsets and clear views will be ruined.
    Where will the power be used?

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Oct. 18, 2012 7:15 p.m.

@ J-TX in Allen TX... You're quite mistaken. Here are the wind generated power stats for the top 5 states:

Texas (10,929 MW)
    Iowa (4,570 MW)
    California (4,536 MW)
    Oregon (3,153 MW)
    Illinois (3,055 MW)

• Lightening Lad Austin , TX
    Oct. 18, 2012 9:55 a.m.

J-TX, you failed to take on those 20 points I listed and your sweeping generalization that they are false carries no weight either. Solar cannot generate electricity because it can't get hot enough to bring water to a boil producing steam which then drives turbines. All generation works on the principle in forcing those turbines to spin with dam releases, steam from nuclear super heated water, burning oil, natural gas etc I have been on-site in Calif and New York, home base in TX has nothing to do with it, oil is not burned to produce electricity. Wind is ineffective but financially rewarding, check out the info for yourself, yet it cannot put the local coal fired power plant out of business since wind is INTERMITTANT and people expect to turn up the heat or light and have power right now, so the coal fired plant stays in business causing the worst type of pollution, but it's cheap something that sells in Utah. Do some Google-ing about the money angle which is key here, if you have Netflix search Wind documentary, Dozens of New York farmers were interviewed on the negative effects of wind.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Oct. 16, 2012 11:00 a.m.

Meanwhile --

The "Brethern" in SLC have started having us built eco-friendly meeting houses.

Our new Stake Center is covered with Solar Panels.

I think the "Lord" is telling us to Choose The Right, when a choice is placed before you...

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 15, 2012 8:34 p.m.

azresident,

Good point. Windmill farms would violate the rights of migrating birds just like Alaskan oil drilling does for the polar bear, and cutting lumber violated the home rights of the spotted owl.

Wonder why EPA is not on this yet.

• azresident Mesa, AZ
    Oct. 15, 2012 3:20 p.m.

Any migratory birds pass through the area?

• killpack Sandy, UT
    Oct. 15, 2012 12:22 p.m.

Why don't we build windmills in the hahbah, by the Kennedy's, since they're the ones who love alternative energy so much?

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    Oct. 15, 2012 12:16 p.m.

I'm a conservative.
    And I can't even stand wind farms.
    These things wouldn't have survived if it weren't for tax payers supporting them.
    Also, at any time, 30% of these wind mills are broke down.
    Believe it.

• Phillip M Hotchkiss Malta, Mt
    Oct. 15, 2012 12:15 p.m.

I agree with jtx why should we pay some one to make money for them selfs?

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 15, 2012 12:06 p.m.

Three questions:

* Where were these windmills made?
    * Are American companies doing the installation?
    * How is this benefiting the American economy?

Much of the stimulus money from a few years ago, went to China, Japan, and Australia,-for windmill farms in Texas. We could use the jobs here.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Oct. 15, 2012 10:55 a.m.

Too Smart -- It's only hypocrisy when they contradict themselves.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Oct. 15, 2012 9:58 a.m.

I was informed that many of our power plants operate at about 30% capacity because the transmission grid is inadequate to have them operate at a higher rate. Are there transmission lines already in place for this proposed wind farm or have they yet to be constructed? And if they need to be beefed up to carry the new amount of generated electricity, who's going to be first in line to have the new transmission line go next to their home?

Didn't we read recently where St. George City embraced a solar farm, only to have it go bust in terms of investment and now their citizens are stuck paying for it? UTOPIA also comes to mind in regards to communities jumping at a "great investment idea for the future" that just somehow folds into a huge debt.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Oct. 15, 2012 9:54 a.m.

@Sneaky Jimmy

There are tens of thousands of acres of very windy lands in Arizona and across the west that are far from any cities and towns. Wind farms would be great for such areas since those lands are used almost exclusively for growing tumble weeds and grasshoppers. They also provide essential dirt tracks for bikers and other all terrain vehicles who tear up and destroy the landscape, changing it into the beautiful eyesore it is today. What a sight it makes from a passing airplane! My vote would be to turn lots of that windy land into wind farms. They must be productive and cost efficient if they are still building them. The capacity argument of 2.5% you mention is silly at best. If you quadruple the farms, you quadruple the capacity, don't you? It wouldn't take much to quadruple it since there is so little of it today. Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Colorado, Nevada, and Oklahoma have bazillions of windy acres of land.

• AKRay Wasilla, AK
    Oct. 15, 2012 9:47 a.m.

Most wind turbines aren't even profitable and cost more to build and operate than the energy they generate. I don't know if this is the case with Monticello, but federal tax dollars are often flushed down the drain with wind farm subsidies.

Monticello, don't sell your magnificent skyline to the wind farm folks unless you absolutely know for sure it's a good investment....and your actually willing to look at those monsters everyday. You decide if you like the way it looks. Don't let anyone who stands to profit from the project tell you that "you'll get used to it". I know some of you care for sheep but don't be one!

If the Hole in the Rock pioneers could have only seen what was coming....

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Oct. 15, 2012 9:13 a.m.

@ one old man

I hope you feel better this morning after calling people with a different view than yours hypocrties. Have a good day, sir.

• wazzup Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 15, 2012 9:11 a.m.

What is the return on investment on a single windmill? How much is the upfront cost and how much energy cost is saved from a windmill.

BTW........by in large, those who favor windmills in their countryside are those farmers who earn tons of money from their placement on their land.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Oct. 15, 2012 9:11 a.m.

@ Hutterite

Since when are you the "complaint police" that gets to decide policy when someone can complain and when they can't? Just because you don't agree with one person's opinion doesn't make them forfeit the right to express it. Have you never embraced the idea of "free speech" or is it only allowed if you agree with it?

There will always be those against something and those in favor of something regardless of the cost or benefits. But you don't care about visual pollution? Fine. Others, however, might and they are allowed to express that, my friend.

• DonO Draper, UT
    Oct. 15, 2012 9:04 a.m.

The NIMBY syndrome is alive, well and prospering. Everyone wants "clean" energy as long as it's in someone else's backyard. It would not be surprising if some of those so vocally opposed to the wind farm also squeal the loudest about development of oil and natural gas reserves. We can't have it both ways, folks. If we want more energy we have to tolerate the occasional proverbial goring of the ox.

• Sneaky Jimmy Bay Area, CA
    Oct. 15, 2012 8:59 a.m.

Wind farms have the capacity to produce 2.5% of US power requirements. They actually produce significantly less than that due to wind fluctuations. To me, wind farms are a terrific eye sore. No matter how many wind farms you build you will always need an alternate source of reliable energy (natural gas, coal or nuclear). Its seems a shame to pollute the landscape of the most beautiful area (so utah) on earth.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Oct. 15, 2012 8:56 a.m.

I wish I could get one in my back yard, as long as I can get away from paying the local energy provider for my power usage for the rest of my life.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Oct. 15, 2012 8:54 a.m.

Lightening Lad (Austin , TX) lists about 20 mostly irrational objections to wind turbines, mostly laughable.

We all know the real reason there are no wind or solar farms in Texas - Big Oil owns the state and its politicians.

Look, the technology has been around for 30 years, but it has not been economically viable to pursue these alternative energy goals. Now that there are companies willing to do them, we should encourage it. But not with federal subsidies. If the market is ready for it, let the companies who stand to make windmill - er - windfall profits foot the bill.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 15, 2012 8:40 a.m.

re SundanceKid27
    OREM, UT

-----

There are several commercially available photo editing programs available. If you don't like those windmills in your wedding pics, it is possible to take them out of the picture.

On the other hand, I have always enjoyed seeing pictures of Holland and its windmills. If I visited Holland I would make it a point to go see them. I actually did make it a point to go see the wind mills in Spanish Fork (Utah). We rented a motel room and went and saw the wind mills, it was a rather nice mini vacation.

America has different a different type of windmill, but those are quite interesting to see too.

• Shimlau SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Oct. 15, 2012 8:29 a.m.

@SundanceKid27: ever hear of Photoshop? now that real film is no longer used and it's all done digital, taking out those windmills would be childsplay, and I do mean that litterally!

• aunt lucy Looneyville, UT
    Oct. 15, 2012 8:23 a.m.

Can you string Christmas lights on them? Just wondering?

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Oct. 15, 2012 8:12 a.m.

@SundanceKid27

"Just imagine you get married and you take your pictures outside the temple. You can have those nice windmills poking into your pictures forever. Pretty classy if you ask me."

Well, I got married in the Salt Lake Temple and I've got the Wells Fargo building poking into my pictures forever. It may not be "classy" but it didn't ruin my day then and it's not ruining my memories now.

Every wedding picture is going to have something in the background, and unless you got married in the middle of the jungle or on a deserted island, there's going to be something in the background and it's probably man-made...so I'm not sure what your point is.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 15, 2012 7:34 a.m.

Wind is clean and it is renewable. If we mine coal, in several years the coal mine is depleted, not so with wind. We need to start transitioning to renewable forms of energy.

I use electricity, I appreciate electricity, therefore I ought not oppose the means of production of electricity, especially wind which is among the most benign forms of electricity production. I believe that those who oppose wind power and are not close enough to hear the turbines sound, are either short sighted or selfish or both.

Similarly with cell phones, I really appreciate mine, therefore it doesn't make much sense that I would oppose cell phone towers.

• Midwest Mom Soldiers Grove, WI
    Oct. 15, 2012 7:31 a.m.

Funny how many people are influenced by the oil industry propaganda. Electric power lines are ugly and no one complains about them. Inversion pollution is ugly and harms your health. How sad and silly to hold tightly to outmoded, outgoing technology when there is a better way.

• Really??? Kearns, UT
    Oct. 15, 2012 5:42 a.m.

How much impact would the wind farm have on the local economy? Perhaps Monticello could become a leader in green energy production and use. This state sure needs some leaders right now.

• Lightening Lad Austin , TX
    Oct. 15, 2012 5:36 a.m.

While this all seems so nice and non-threatening the secret has nothing to do with generating energy but making money. The turbines are built with the company paying half, the Feds paying half through tax benefits, energy substitutes. The company writes off the towers over 5 years, then sell them to anther company to again wrote them off over 5 years. Because of the administrations energy policies pushing wind, it's very profitable even without generating 1 watt. Residents in the area of these 500 ft towers notice a constant hum, a ground vibration when the towers are moving. Drivers in areas with towers become disorientated as a result of the shadows moving accross the roads, residents in affected homes have to deal with shadows on walls, floors, carpets, drapes, that cause vertigo. Residents in rural New York state thought bringing in wind would be a great way to replace the lost dairy industry, they now wish they hadn't taken the $5000 to have their land used, the cities the $1000/yr tax benefit. Do some research, it's not the great deal you might think, not to mention fires, thrown blades that can be deadly.

• Utah_1 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 15, 2012 12:03 a.m.

Take a tour of the wind farm near Milford where there are hundreds. They are impressive, but hardly an eyesore. Do it. I haven't been to Monticello yet. A wind farm would give me one more reason to go, not to stay away.

They are not noisy, but hardly silent.

More wind energy is good. I would like more base energy from geothermal power.

• I-am-I South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 14, 2012 11:52 p.m.

Just forget this idea of wind power. They don't generate enough electricity to justify the energy required to manufacture and maintain them. Don't build them because they are a worse use of natural resources than burning fossil fuels.

• SundanceKid27 OREM, UT
    Oct. 14, 2012 11:46 p.m.

• Ticus Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 14, 2012 10:42 p.m.

Wind and solar cannot solve our energy needs, because they simply don't generate enough electricity to make a real dent. Nuclear power is what will really replace coal and oil. It is clean, and it won't have any of the problems like this wind farm. There are new Nuclear Power technologies that are solving all the issues of many current nuclear reactor designs.
    So rather than screaming "radiation!" educate yourself and join the cause! :-)

The liquid fluoride thorium reactor is one of the many designs to which I am referring. (Look it up on google. It wouldn't post with the URL in there for some reason).

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Oct. 14, 2012 9:06 p.m.

But aren't these the same people who love oil wells?

What's the difference between looking lovingly at an oil well and a windmill?

Hypocrisy?

• Chachi Charlottesville, VA
    Oct. 14, 2012 7:05 p.m.

So they might be near the Monticello Temple. Who cares? There are skyscrapers rising right next to the Salt Lake Temple in a much more imposing and disruptive way, and I don't think anyone claims that the Monticello Temple is more architecturally significant, and therefore worthy of an unimpeded horizon, than the Salt Lake Temple.

Other temples surrounded by much taller and more dominant structures: Manhattan, Recife Brazil, Guatemala City, Madrid Spain, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Taipei, Copenhagen Denmark, Frankfurt Germany, and many, many more.

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    Oct. 14, 2012 4:45 p.m.

Take a trip to Oregon. Take a trip to Calif. Drive around. Listen to the people who live near the wind farms. Listen to them as they explain the amount of electricity the wind farms generate. Observe and learn.
    Then do some thinking about it.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Oct. 14, 2012 3:46 p.m.

You're not allowed to gripe about energy prices or claim to embrace the 'drill, baby' philosophy unless you also agree that energy exploration may occur within sight of your house. It's the apex of hypocrisy to expect as much cheap energy as we need or want as long as it's extraction affects someone else but not us. I don't care if you can see wind turbines from your home, or me from mine. I don't care if we have a power line, road, pipeline, rail line, sour gas well or strip mine within sight of my house. I don't care because all these things belong in someone elses' back yard. I'm someone else. We all are.

• MJF Somewhere in Time, UT
    Oct. 14, 2012 3:02 p.m.

As a resident of the area, I have no problem as long as I can't see them. There's the rub

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 14, 2012 2:38 p.m.

Do it. Do it now. We need to stop pretending fossil fuels are going to last forever.