Faith

LDS Church announces plans for new temples in Arizona and Peru

Comments

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Oct. 8, 2012 4:32 p.m.

Peru now becomes only the seoncd Spanish-speaking country to have a 3rd temple announced. Some have been anticipating a temple in Arequipa since the one in Trujillo was announced, but it is still exciting.

With a 6th temple announced for Arizona, it will soon have almost as many temples as the 7 in California, and is going to have more than Idaho.

• John Armstrong Buena Vista, VA
    Oct. 7, 2012 8:03 a.m.

Wonderful news for the people of Tucson and Arequipa. We lived in Tucson for five years. There are several locations in Tucson I can think of that would be beautiful settings for a temple. I can't wait to see what the architects do -- especially with the grounds and desert plants, including the saguaro.

• leni10 St. George, Utah
    Oct. 6, 2012 5:32 p.m.

What a great announcement by Pres. Monson, a temple in our city of Arequipa Perú. No more 15 or 18 hour trip, one session and then trip back. People traveling from Arequipa to Lima usually leave on thursdays and come back Sunday Morning before services with most of the time traveling and attending the Temple and for the people that the Temple will serve coudn´t be better news. We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet.

• gnesileah Gilbert, AZ
    Oct. 6, 2012 5:01 p.m.

These temples actually become the 30th and 31st temples announced by President Monson since becoming President of the Church in February 2008. The Tucson Temple is the 80 temple in the U.S., and the Arequipa Temple is the 88th temple internationally.

1. The Gila Valley Arizona
    28. Star Valley Wyoming
    29. Paris France
    30. Tucson Arizona
    31. Arequipa Peru

• ulvegaard Medical Lake, Washington
    Oct. 6, 2012 4:50 p.m.

President Young said that when ever we start to build a temple, the bells of hell begin to ring and that he wanted them to ring again.

It's tremendous -- it seems lately those bells never stop ringing. The opposition is always with us, but the blessings are increasing. I never thought I would live to see the day when temple would literally dot the entire earth. When I was a teenager - I thought it was impressive that we built temple number 16 (Washington D.C.) and thought that was a lot of temples -- and now. Wow! And it just keeps getting better.

• logicguy TUCSON, AZ
    Oct. 6, 2012 1:33 p.m.

My wife, Alba, and I looked at each with great surprise and excitement when we heard Pres. Monson say "Tucson, Arizona". (Did you hear what I just heard?) We have lived in Tucson for over 30 years and have often felt frustrated that we are still no closer to a temple than when we first moved here. This is wonderful news. We can't wait to hear where it will be located.

• Third try screen name Mapleton, UT
    Oct. 6, 2012 1:28 p.m.

I served in Arequipa for six months back in 1974. At the time President J. Robert Driggs declared, "Stony Arequipa is dead!"
    You've come a long way, White City. There are some beautiful elevations there. I do hope the site is high on a hill.

• Gigio New York, NY
    Oct. 6, 2012 12:37 p.m.

Peruvian saints in the South are rejoicing. No longer have to travel 12+ hours to Lima.

• Zona Zone Mesa, AZ
    Oct. 6, 2012 11:02 a.m.

Finally ... a beautiful building in Tucson!

• RyanWhiting OREM, UT
    Oct. 6, 2012 10:32 a.m.

Yes!!! I love the progress of the Church. And now, women and men can serve earlier. I think this is wonderful for missionary work and works better with college. I am excited to see this in action.