Utah

Jim Matheson, Mia Love trade familiar barbs, sidestep questions in KSL debate

Comments

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 4, 2012 6:20 a.m.

Re: KCJ Saratoga Springs, UT
    "I am an Independent that is a little bit sick of the lopsidedness in this state."

You may claim to be an Independent but on election day you will be rooting for the DNC. And no, as long as they obey the law on where they live I could care less if a candidate lives within his (or her) district.

By-the-way, Romney's performance in the first presidential debate didn't hurt Mia Love's chances for victory on November 6th.

• crodier LAYTON, UT
    Oct. 3, 2012 5:52 p.m.

I'm so glad Mia is winning. When I first meet her I not only knew she'd be the one to win but to lead.

• Utah Observer West Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 3, 2012 1:20 p.m.

Once again, the headline writer for the Deseret News gives an inaccurate accounting of the fair article written by Dennis Romboy. The headline says both candidates sidestepped questions in the debate, but the article only contains information about Love not sometimes not answering the question. No where in the article is there any indication that Matheson failed to comply by not answering. So, who is this mysterious headline writer that continues to show bias for Love?

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 3, 2012 9:17 a.m.

Re: Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    "...now I'm a centrist..."

Your labels for both yourself and the Republican Party are inaccurate. Anyone who suggests that there hasn't been a drastic decline in today's morals when compared to those in the 1960s is only kidding themselves. The Republican Party has followed that slippery slope, only not as quickly as the Democrats.

You may believe that you are a centrist. Personally I have a strong belief that the moon is made of green cheese.

• Red Smith American Fork, UT
    Oct. 3, 2012 7:39 a.m.

Mia Love is a fresh voice for Utah's 4th District. GO Mia Love.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Oct. 3, 2012 7:10 a.m.

To Rifleman 12:34 p.m. Oct. 2, 2012

rE: Furry1993
    " ...a member of the far right extremes ...."

Today's far right extremes are yesteryear's far left liberals. As our world and nation tilts to the left those who believe in traditional values have been given the bogus label as being "far right".

The truth is that we just believe in the same principles of morality and decency that your grandmother did.

------------------------

I was a Goldwater Republican in the late 1960s, which put me at the far right edge of the Republican party. My viewpoints have not changed since then. In the late 1960s I was considered far right; now I'm a centrist and am (inaccurately) called "RINO" and "liberal" and "lefty" by those to the right of me in the political spectrum. Senator Goldwater and President Reagan would not be able to get through the the primary system nor appease those on the far right fringe of the Republican party because their viewpoints and positions also are true conservatives (centrist), not far right.

The label "far right extremist" is accurate. The Repblican party has drastically shifted to the far right. I stand by my comments.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 4:35 p.m.

@sls in Missouri

The late Gov. Mel Carnahan collected enough votes to beat out incumbent Republican Sen. John Ashcroft for the U.S. Senate seat from Missouri.

Coming from the state that would rather elect a dead guy than the incumbent Republican.

• KCJ Saratoga Springs, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 4:21 p.m.

Why is it the "living in your district" argument only comes up from the Republicans when they are talking about Matheson? If it's good for the goose, it's good for the gander. Either complain about Chaffetz also or don't complain about either. I am an Independent that is a little bit sick of the lopsidedness in this state. Matheson is one of the few that work with both sides. Mia is far too one sided for me. I am also very unimpressed with her inability to answer a question off the cuff. She seems to need a prepared answer. I think she is just a puppet for the RNC. I don NOT like puppets. I think we will be much better off staying with Matheson. He has my vote.

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 3:10 p.m.

@sls in Missouri

Perhaps the rules are different in Missouri, but in Utah, a Representative only has to live in the state.

We have had a Representative for four years who has not lived in the district he represents. His district has been modified to move him into it, but because he is a Republican, he is given a free pass regarding this issue.

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 2:38 p.m.

It makes sense to retire Matheson

• sls Columbia, MO
    Oct. 2, 2012 2:24 p.m.

Matheson's response to gerrymandering? Run in a district where he doesn't even live. Can anything be more contrary to the idea of representative democracy? Utah's 4th district should retire Matheson just as we are trying to retire Obama, and for the same reason. The Democrat plan isn't working and as long as Matheson stays in the Democrat party he will be supporting that plan. He says one thing in Utah and another thing in D.C.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 1:48 p.m.

@Flying Finn
    "You don't think states back east do a little gerrymandering to benefit the liberal cause?"

What would be my home district if I were still back east had been held by a Republican for a very long time but after gerrymandering he's a heavy underdog. I think it's wrong in both cases.

"You need to get used to that name because you will be hearing it a lot more after November."

Hopefully due to accomplishing something of positive substance. I won't hold my breath though since I've yet to hear or read anything of/from her that is beyond talking points from a tea party/Ryan type agenda that would cause more problems than they solve.

• shadowchilds Taylorsville, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 1:38 p.m.

wow o at times i vote Democrat. Matheson is far from even remotely being a one. yes it was utah says is a Democrat. fact is he is only one bscause they wont allow two republican on one ticket. also this debate if that is what they call it is a joke. no hard line questions were asked of either candidate. desert news and KSL would never ask hardline question.

• Flying Finn Murray, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 1:32 p.m.

@ Happy Valley Heretic
    Mia Love may not have all the knowledge today that Jim Matheson has acquired over the last 12 years in Congress but 12 years from now Congresswoman Love will be well seasoned. You need to get used to that name because you will be hearing it a lot more after November.

• Ballplayer Spanish Fork, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 1:31 p.m.

I believe that Matheson is honestly and truely sincere when he says he puts Utah first. I think Love would honestly make that same claim. But the issue is not their motivation, it's their political philosophy. Matheson thinks that Utah is helped by government involvement in our lives. The problem is that most of Utah (although we'll see if that includes most of the 4th district come election day) do not feel that way. Most of Utah would rather have less government in our lives. I don't really care if either one of them THINKS they are doing what Utah needs, I care about them actually DOING what Utah needs.

• Flying Finn Murray, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 1:21 p.m.

@ Fred44
    Republicans aren't any prouder than the democrats who will be more than happy to take a win by hook or crook. You don't think states back east do a little gerrymandering to benefit the liberal cause?

• ICareAboutUtah West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 12:52 p.m.

Some of the comments that are being made so far actually are assumptions rather than what is actually happening. I have had the pleasure of having Congressman Matheson come several times to my business to find out actually what the needs of the community are. I know first hand that he always asks for input so he can better make decisions that affect each of us. He always has put Utah first and cares about people. He does not concern himself with what party you are affiliated with. He truly listens and has worked hard over the years to put the needs of Utah first. Please look at substance rather than politically based partisan attacks that do not tell the story of who Congressman Matheson is.Anyone that has met him knows that he will always put Utah first.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 12:46 p.m.

I find it amusing that people actually don't understand how a debate work,s and then congratulate someone for not answering a single question. If Utah sends Mia they'll get what they deserve more of nothing from the Tea Party, in a state where drinking tea is prohibited.

Mia doesn't understand even the basics needed to represent Utah, but that's OK she's gunna do and say everything the GOP tells her to do, just like mitt, No substance just slogans.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 12:41 p.m.

@firstamendment
    "I suspect that they hope he will continue to support Obama in pushing his agenda. "

Continue? Not at all. As a liberal I hope Matheson could merely begin to support Obama in pushing his agenda. At least if he loses he'll have 2 months of lame duck status where he can vote without worrying about electoral consequences.

• Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 2, 2012 12:41 p.m.

If Love wins its about gerrymandering a district not about sending the best most capable person to Washington. Her debate performances have been less than impressive if you are looking for substance, concrete ideas, and knowledge about the job she is seeking.

If you like tea party talking points and will vote R no matter what, then Love is your choice.

• Republicantthinkstraigh Anywhere but, Utah, Utah
    Oct. 2, 2012 12:39 p.m.

The posters on here would make you believe the Rupub's are running a fair and honest campaign with only policy proposals and no mud throwing at the Dem's. The complete opposite is true however. No new ideas, no transparency (Mitts taxes), and nothing of substance. Don't get me wrong, I know the Dem's are slinging mud too but for you to call out Matheson and the Dem's is completely hypocritical. You can't have it both ways. And what about Chaffetz not living in his district? Doesn't seem to big of a deal with him but when it comes to Matheson, he is wrong and should live in his district. The blatant hypocrisy is appalling.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 12:36 p.m.

@dumprake
    "Gays have every right of every other American--do they need more than everybody else?"

What do you mean more rights? Oh, you're one of those people who thinks that current marriage law is equal because men can marry women and women can marry men, aren't you? So if gay marriage is legal, how would that allow them to have "more" than everybody else? As a straight guy I could enter in a gay marriage too. I wouldn't but... if you think current law is equal, then allowing men and women to marry a man or a woman is equal too because it'd be the same standard across the board, just with gay people not using the straight marriage option and straight people not using the same-sex marriage option.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 2, 2012 12:34 p.m.

rE: Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    " ...a member of the far right extremes ...."

• firstamendment Lehi, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 12:03 p.m.

How novel, a politician who plans to actually ask us, The People, how we feel about something, what is working and etc. This is exactly what we need!
    MAtheson is not change, it will be more of the same. He's already shown us that he supports Obama's agenda.
    I'm not sure why the liberal comment activists are smearing Mia if Matheson supports traditional marriage also, but I suspect that they hope he will continue to support Obama in pushing his agenda.

Matheson has been in power far too long, and it really bothers me that Romboy seems to favor him, and I'm still waiting for the apologies from Doug and Matheson for not denouncing or apologizing for Matheson, Liberals, Mother Jones, etc and their dishonest efforts to get Matheson elected, dishonest attacks on Mia's record, and dishonest attacks on her family's immigration status etc. Matheson denies involvement, but clearly the smear campaign, the racism, the intimidation, and so on are on his behalf.

• jpjazz Sandy, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 11:45 a.m.

Matheson is going to lose. The strategy of attacking Love's record as mayor is poorly conceived and unconvincing, especially when the residents of Saratoga and the surrounding communities largely support her record as mayor. Unlike Matheson's neighbors, Love's supporters are in her district and can actually vote for her.

Ironically if had stayed in the 2nd district where he resides, he would be running against Stewart whose primary debacle would have made easy prey for a veteran law maker like Jim Matheson.

Lesson: When approaching the grocery checkout, pick a line and stay with it!

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 11:36 a.m.

Thank you Doug Wright. one of the burning questions is about gay rights. right. We are $16 trillion in the hole, we are becoming socialist, we have corruption in government, Obamacare and terrorists. and that's what Wright asks about? The only group worse than Obama is the media. Mia Love will bring so much attention to Utah that will help us, it will surprise us all. Plus, when push comes to shove, Matheson supports Obama and Pelosi.

• dumprake Washington, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 11:32 a.m.

I don't know who writes the headlines, but "gay rights" was a footnote in this "discussion." The headline is deceptive. The article focused on lobbyists...oh right, but that topic is not nearly as incendiary as so-called "gay rights." Nobody cares about gay rights, it's a fake, conjured right. Gays have every right of every other American--do they need more than everybody else?

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 11:31 a.m.

Matheson is substance. Love is fluff. Matheson speaks for ALL Utahns, not just the far right extremes. Love could care less about a person's positions unless s/he is a member of the far right extremes. It's too bad a lot of people can't tell the difference. Matheson is the candidate of quality and substance. Love has neither.