Faith

New, remodeled LDS temples bring total to 139

Comments

• donburi South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 2:57 p.m.

DN/Joseph Walker:
    There was also a groundbreaking for the Tijuana, Mexico temple on August 18, which you left off of the list.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Oct. 2, 2012 9:31 a.m.

Dennis,

Actually, the economy is not all bad. Further, spending for construction should benefit the community.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Oct. 2, 2012 5:58 a.m.

It's embarrassing that in this economy the Church continues to build and spend on these pretentious buildings. It makes me shake my head.

• Canyontreker TAYLORSVILLE, UT
    Oct. 1, 2012 3:21 p.m.

I find most LDS temples are not in high traffic areas or too grandeur (Manhattan) if they are.
    I do admit I was embarrassed by the grandness of the San Diego and D.C. temples towering over the main freeways. However, years later I find that the local neighborhoods thrive with these two temples. The property value increased in San Diego as well as new office centers.
    But, in most cases you have to be looking for the temple to find it, especially Hawaii, Hong Kong, Boston, Orlando, and the new South Florida temple.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Oct. 1, 2012 2:39 p.m.

Skeptic,

I have limited experience in the west but my infrequent observation of temples there indicates that they are well utilized. In the east, the smaller temples I am familiar with get strong usage when you would expect they would - in the evenings and on Fridays and Saturdays. Midweek during the middle of the day, less so. Again, just within my experience.

I think they very little to do with symbolic statements or public attraction. If any statement is being made, it might be to the membership - that they should feel comfortable settling in these communities as temple attendance will not be a problem for them. I think the presence of the Louisville temple has benefited our area in that way.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    Oct. 1, 2012 2:09 p.m.

skeptic "Are there statistics on the percent of capacity use of the Temples, are they fully employed, or are they more symbolic and public attractions for Mormon out reach and statements of presence."

Right....really? Star Valley, WY? Payson and Provo Utah? Quetzaltenango, Guatamala? Your kidding right?

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ