Faith

From abused child to FranklinCovey executive and LDS family man, Sam Bracken's journey of a radical change

Comments

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 10:13 a.m.

A voice of Reason and other respondents,

I am puzzled by your assertions.

You and others appear to be saying "God" helped me change my life - without my knowledge, and without any worship, praise, or righteousness on my part.

So your god does what he does without regard for belief and "faith"?

He is "no respecter of persons"?

And people prosper or struggle with or without your "god" being "known to them"?

Or do you preach the doctrine found in Alma 30:17:

"...every man fared in this life according to the management of the creature; therefore every man prospered according to his genius, and that every man conquered according to his strength"?

Pray or don't pray - things will come to pass as they do. Prayer makes no difference.
    Believe or don't believe - things will happen as they happen. Belief makes no difference.
    Be a member of a Church or don't - things are as they are. Membership makes no difference.

Sounds like a "god" that makes no difference in human affairs.

Sounds like a "god" that cannot be distinguished from "no god at all."

Sounds like I am right.

Sounds like science to me.

• OC Surfer Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
    Oct. 1, 2012 1:56 p.m.

I can relate to what he has gone through on so many levels experiencing similar childhood abuse. It's great to see his success with his career and family life. Hopefully, I can find a LDS Single woman who can accept my past like Sam's wife has done. In my experience, not many LDS Single women do...

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Sept. 30, 2012 11:46 a.m.

Very cool story. Science cannot comprehend spiritual matters. Spiritual minds understand science and its relevance.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Sept. 30, 2012 8:38 a.m.

@Reason,

Amen, brother! I think it was George Carlin that said something like, "...he'd rather live his life believing that there's a God then to deny his existence and find out in the end that there really is a God." That would be problematic for Mr. Scientist!

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 29, 2012 11:40 p.m.

A Scientist,

"God had nothing to do with it."

-------

Science is to learn the knowable. If you currently do not know God, or of God's existence, then God is unknown to you. The qualifier "unknown" does not automatically mean that God is unknowable or nonexistent. If that were a false statement, then anything not currently being observed by yourself is false and not existent (also meaning that nothing exists but yourself and what you observe). Nearly all philosophers and scientists reject this idea in favor of the objective universe being real.

Now that we're past that, consider the following:

If you do not know God and you do not know everything, the possibility of God being true remains and logic dictates that the possibility of God always remains whilst you do not know everything. If you do not know God, you do not know God's operations.

Therefore, if you do not know God, nor God's operations then you cannot logically conclude that "God had nothing to do with it".

But of course, a true scientist does not need my explanation to know the possibilities of God. Everyone knows this possibility inherently by not knowing everything.

Cherio! :)

• Yellow Jackets Farmington, UT
    Sept. 29, 2012 1:07 p.m.

I knew Sam in college and had no idea of his upbringing. The man I knew then was a faithful convert, very hard-working student, and an excellent athlete and his past never came up. It's a pleasure to read of his success and humble attitude in spite of all he's accomplished.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 8:22 p.m.

Atheist angels...? That's rich.

• JRJ Pocatello, ID
    Sept. 28, 2012 3:08 p.m.

Thanks so much for reminding me again of the importance of looking at people through the Savior's eyes. Learning to have that kind of faith is a life-long project. I appreciate so much your candid story.

• Mr.Glass Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 12:13 p.m.

Inspiring story. Let's just remember that angels don't have to be members of particular church. Indeed, there are even atheist angels who help transform peoples' lives.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    Sept. 27, 2012 11:56 p.m.

Remarkably similiar story to that of Kip Kreyling, (not positive on spelling of last name). He wrote a book called The Impostor. Excellent article.

• gbo Draper, UT
    Sept. 27, 2012 8:54 p.m.

Amazing story. Well done Mr. Bracken. I'm amazed at the adversity many people overcome in their lives and then go on to successful careers, families, and helping others. Thank you for your example.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    Sept. 27, 2012 7:51 p.m.

Mosesstone1980,

No, I changed my life.

God had nothing to do with it.

• Mosesstone1980 Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sept. 27, 2012 5:21 p.m.

@ A Scientist
    Proof that God loves, and cares about us enough, that we don't even have to look for Him, or acknowledge Him, and He can bless and change our lives.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    Sept. 27, 2012 4:20 p.m.

Sounds like my background and Bracken's were similar. But I needed no religion to turn my life around.

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    Sept. 27, 2012 4:16 p.m.

Wow...what a remarkable man you are to survive some of the worst. I am so thankful people reached out to help you and that you reached for the Gospel in your life and served a mission. Your story brought tears to my eyes and happiness to my heart that you are active this day. Our memories of abuse never leave our minds but faith, kindness and love replace that pain, fear and heartache with hope and you certainly are an example of that. Thank you for trusting in our Heavenly Father.

• Catholicmat Aptos, CA
    Sept. 27, 2012 2:14 p.m.

Had to close my office door and weep. What a great, inspiring, and selfless story. Thank you! Thank you! I needed that today. Love that qoute by Elder Holland. Awesome!!

• Ironman SANTA CLARA, UT
    Sept. 27, 2012 2:10 p.m.

Want inspiration? Read a good book.

• JayJay Sandy, UT
    Sept. 27, 2012 1:43 p.m.

Wow. Thanks for sharing this story.

• SoCalChris Riverside, CA
    Sept. 27, 2012 1:06 p.m.

Thank you for sharing this inspiring story.

• Mom of Five Orem, UT
    Sept. 27, 2012 12:59 p.m.

This is an amazing story. Thanks for sharing it with us.

• timpClimber Provo, UT
    Sept. 27, 2012 9:41 a.m.

I've had the joy of helping at risk kids, one at a time, for many years. And reading Sam's story brought back such vivid and sacred memories. If every Member would mentor just one kid, millions could be lead back to their Father in Heaven.

• Vernal Mom Vernal, UT
    Sept. 27, 2012 7:49 a.m.

What an uplifting story. Thanks for sharing your hardships and how you overcame them and became a shining example, Sam Bracken. Wow, what a great way to start my day!