Utah

Police investigating racist pictures sent to Mia Love

Comments

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Sept. 29, 2012 1:35 p.m.

one old man
    Ogden, UT

There are times when I simply get up and walk out.
    3:45 p.m. Sept. 26, 2012

ute alumni
    one old man,

JayJay
    Sandy, UT
    @one old man
    I'm having a hard time believing your story. I've belonged to quite a few wards in my lifetime and have never ran across the behavior you are describing.

4:45 p.m. Sept. 26, 2012

==========

Been there, Done that.

Got up and walked out a few times myself.
    [1 Fast&Testimony meeting and the virtue and glorious Holy War we're fighting in the MiddleEast set me packing.]

And look no further than right here at how many DN comments treat NON-Republicans.

I've followed a young woman in tears many a time to the foyer to console her.
    She is Obama's race, and the callousness of good "Latter-Day Saints" is embarassing to say the least.

I rest my case.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 29, 2012 12:39 a.m.

"I want you to know, I want everyone to know I am comfortable in my skin. I'm comfortable and proud of my heritage. I'm proud of who I am. I know where I'm going and I know what we need to do to get this country back in order again. There isn’t anything that anyone can send me that will distract me from that so they can bring it,"

Now THAT is why I love this lady!

Okay, maybe it's her push for financial progress. But either way, that is one awesome response!

• RaisedThrysus Santa Monica, CA
    Sept. 27, 2012 4:17 p.m.

Hey, DN Subscriber (Cottonwood Heights, UT), you forgot to add:

c. Mia Love

Cheers

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Sept. 27, 2012 12:47 p.m.

Does anyone know if the President has placed a call to her, yet? Or, he might delegate that responsibility to Sandra Fluke.

• Gurubackwriter Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 10:32 p.m.

Cheers to Mia! You're terrific and you will represent our state well in Washington.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 8:34 p.m.

Anyone want to make a run to Wendover for some bets on who is eventually identified as the despicable scum sending stuff like that?

a. A right wing fanatic?

b. An avid leftist supporter of tolerance and diversity?

and just for fun how about this question:

Will the media coverage of the culprit be the same for either type person, or more or less if it is (a) right winger or (b) liberal?

• JayJay Sandy, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 4:45 p.m.

@one old man

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 4:27 p.m.

"I can say it's racial in nature but I can't tell you it's criminal in nature," he said.

If there is no crime, what are you investigating?

There is no law against a person sending pictures to another person, even if they are "disturbing" pictures. If the pictures constitute evidence of a crime, or if they are slanderous, then there is something criminal that should warrant an investigation.

If not, then What crime is being investigated here?

Racism and prejudice are abhorant. But unless they manifest as criminal behavior, the Constitution guarantees US citizens the right to dislike others for whatever reason they please.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 4:11 p.m.

one old man,
    too bad you don't have to prove you are the real deal. anyone can make up stories like yours. if it were true, i would not attend. i don't believe you.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 3:45 p.m.

I don't know. Within my own ward, there are some characters who don't even try to mask their hatred. But most other ward members seem afraid to say anything, and those of us who speak up are shunned. Even our ward leadership is either frightened of these people are are in silent agreement.

There are times when I simply get up and walk out.

• Lasvegaspam Henderson, NV
    Sept. 26, 2012 3:31 p.m.

Yeah, but has Harry Reid demanded, on the Senate floor, that she "prove" what she's claiming?

• ABM Lehi, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 3:27 p.m.

Esquire, you're sick. Liberalism is a disease. Besides that -- you're telling us the person who did this isn't an Obama supporter? That's ripe. It was probably Harry Reid.

• Arm of Orion Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 1:25 p.m.

As Mayor love has a twenty point lead I doubt she needs more public support.

• Economist Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 1:04 p.m.

Uh Oh.

My "Ruse just to garner increased public support" Alert just went off.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    Sept. 26, 2012 11:06 a.m.

Lets not dismiss the possibility that this could be a case of the Missourians burning their own cabins. How could the Utah Democrats benefit from such junk?

• papi_chulo Ogden, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 10:44 a.m.

@ Esquire

--Can you please tell me where you are getting your information that she blamed the Obama administration or his policies for this act? Nowhere in the article does it say anything about that. Please read the article before posting on here and making foolish comments that are untruthful. Why is Love messed up? Oh, because she doesn't agree with you or Emperor Obama on his crackhead policies and wants to change things? She is a class act and I wish I was in her District so I could vote for her as well.

• JayTee Sandy, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 10:43 a.m.

Darn good thing she's not a Democrat, else nearly every publication and station in the country would be amplifying and elaborating on the story, Obama would be jumping in the fray, and Romney would have to explain why all Republicans are racist, sexist bigots--which would doubtless result in some kind of "gaffe" on his part, which would in turn start another ground swell of publicity and criticism.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 10:01 a.m.

Hate, unfortunately, is alive and well in many parts of Utah. In my own high priest group, hateful remarks about other religions, and frequently outright racist comments are heard. There are times when I simply skip the quorum meetings because I can't stomach any more of it.

• SLC gal Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 9:44 a.m.

Every time I read something about Mia Love, I respect her all the more. She is a genuine class act, and I wish she was running in my district so I could vote for her.

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 9:08 a.m.

"He said it included a picture of Love and her husband, Jason, and a hooded Ku Klux Klan character. There also were pictures of aborted fetuses, he said.

"I couldn't tell if it was threatening or anything. It kind of shocked me, what I saw," he said."

Why wouldn't the KKK be considered threatening? Does this guy think the Klan just has knitting parties?

Also, I'm not sure why "Esquire" thinks that "she just stooped to the level of the offensive material she received"?

Racism is still very much a problem in our society and in Utah. It is really sickening.

• OHBU Columbus, OH
    Sept. 26, 2012 7:22 a.m.

I totally agree that this is way out of bounds. However, the fact that there were images of aborted fetuses raises the issue to me that this is probably a rabid pro-lifer who is discontented with their own candidate.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 5:50 a.m.

I do not support Love and I think she is in way over her head. That being said, racism has no place in our society. This is further evidence that we still have a problem. That being said, for Love to blame Obama policies for this is beyond offensive itself. The sender of this material is really messed up, but then so is Love. She just stooped to the level of the offensive material she received.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 9:46 p.m.

This is disgusting --

I do not support Mia Love,
    but whoever did this should be punished!

Our society should be above this.

It's just sick!

• Most Truthful and Patriotic Layton, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 7:28 p.m.

This is disgusting.
    I am a strong Democrat and supporter of our President, and have watched this go on for years.
    There is no excuse for this, for birtherism, or other lies/racist agendas.