Sports

Utah Utes football: Reeling Utes have a bye before hosting USC

Comments

• starthillnotnelson Kamas/United States, UT
    Sept. 27, 2012 3:00 p.m.

Utah 24 USC 29

This will be a great game, and I think Utah will have the lead going into the 4th. USC will score with 3 minutes left and miss their 2-point conversion. Utah will have a good, solid drive down inside the 20, but penalties will kill them off.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 4:32 p.m.

JohninSLC

Just to set the record state from your previous rant.

I've posted a couple comments on BYU stories recently about the QB problem and coaches. So don't think for a moment that I would never comment because I do.

So real "fans" call for the firing of their coaches?

Have you called for Whit's and Johnson's head for this fiasco?

*crickets*

Now the part about "trying to make fun of Utah" really is humiliating to me.

I DO make fun of Utah and I rather enjoy it. Especially after two years of Ute chest pounding about how great they are in their conference, blah, blah, blah.

And here you are lashing out and venting because your team is not so great after losing to USU and now ASU. Frustrated much?

Go blame them, I wasn't on the field. LOL

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 4:10 p.m.

@johntheliarinslc

You really need to look at the positives. The most glaring one being that as sammyg and I predictied for the better part of a year, and you dishonestly made claims about for just as long, the pac12 network is almost unseeable anywhere so you haven't had to witness the carnage.

LOL!

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 1:06 p.m.

"Sammyg is the only one who has his head based in reality here. utah "fans" are struggling with the performance of their team on the field and with their comments on the boards."
    - ducky

Funny, I just checked the story on BYU's offensive coordinator and nothing but real Y fans calling for Doman and Roscoe to be fired. No Utes at all. So I check this story again and find mostly Y-ners trying to make fun of Utah. It seems the "reality" for Y "fan" trolls like sammy, ducky, (not)toosmart, etc., is their symbiotic obsession with Utah going 3 in a row and 8 of 11 against their "legacy" "brand".

LOL, indeed!!

• Utesby3 Sandy, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 10:18 a.m.

@ Ernest T. Bass: Thanks for the laugh. The only thing that byu has proven to Utah time and time again is that they know how to lose.

• I Bleed Blue Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 24, 2012 11:13 p.m.

When it all comes down to it, we're more alike than different. That is what makes this a great rivalry. Both BYU and Utah have issues this year. Best of luck to the Utes from here on out and I hope you do win out and shock the world. Hope BYU can also win out which would also shock the world. Just sad it has to end after next year.

• SteeleUte1 Sandy, UT
    Sept. 24, 2012 10:27 p.m.

Its amazing how all the Y fans can talk so much crap when both teams are 2-2 on the season, But hey I guess after my team lost 1 game and is no matter what going to the Poinsettia Bowl, I would be a super troll myself and write garbage comments all over Utah's boards. As a loyal Ute fan, I am more than willing to admit we looked AWFUL against ASU. very pathetic showing from a team like Utah. It is time for the coaches to step up and earn their paychecks for the rest of the season. But it is comical how BYU fans come on here thinking Utah is going to get crushed in all their games the rest of the year. Utah will certainly take their licks from other teams this season but the same can be said for BYU, I predict losses against USU, Oregon State, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, and possibly San Jose State (only because they took Stanford to the wire in their first game of the season). So there is a 6-6 record for BYU and most likely the same record for Utah.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 24, 2012 9:01 p.m.

It's been proven time and time again, byu is way better than the utes.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Sept. 24, 2012 8:02 p.m.

Balan

Well said. Same to you, Ted H.

• WJCoug South Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 24, 2012 6:35 p.m.

Not representative of the U??? Have you ever been to a BYU - University of Utah football game at RES???

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    Sept. 24, 2012 5:45 p.m.

@mountainman

Any idiot can get a ticket to a football game and it was stupid of a fan to run up to the opposing coach and use inappropriate language, however that is just one person and not a representative of the U.

On the flip side, you ignore the inappropriate languague from some of your players after the game. They are representatives of your school and showed, using your sentiment, a real lack of class.

Careful calling the kettle black.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    Sept. 24, 2012 5:38 p.m.

@Alta Hawk fan

The game Utah played against Alabama was a BCS bowl game, not the BCS championship but still a BCS bowl game. Careful calling out someone else when you don't have your facts straight.

Regarding the upcoming game against USC ... what can I say. Their offense is better than ASU and the Utes will need to be significantly better to compete in this one. We always have at least one road game a year when the team fails to show up, hopefully we have 'that' game out of our system but suspect we might see a couple more lopsided games down the road.

• Ute Love Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 24, 2012 4:57 p.m.

Still BLue after all these years,
    Alex Smith and Andrew Bogut, the first time that the #1 picks in the NFL and NBA draft were from the same school.

All BYU fans,

The only reason you have utah fans in this article even making comments about BYU is because a lot of your fans love to troll these utah articles and make stupid comments and evaluations of utah football. Some of your fans don't seem to understand how bragging rights work. We beat you! Its over, its done! We are better than you, and probably will be for a long long time. I understand that the loss to ASU was ugly and the utes looked absolutely terrible, but even if we lose the rest of our games we are still better than you. I don't agree with RedBlood bringing religion into this, but it IS pathetic that your only hope for the year is to see utah lose. Because with each loss your team becomes more and more pathetic

• Christy B Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 24, 2012 2:15 p.m.

Utes 27 USC 21

"If we win next week (which I think we will) everyone will saying correctly that Utah is the team to beat in the division."

LOL!

The Utes are going to be crushed by the Trojans.

The best the Utes can hope for is to finish ahead of Colorado to avoid the PAC south cellar.

USC 42
    Utah 3

Mark it down!

• u mad bro? WVC, UT
    Sept. 24, 2012 2:08 p.m.

sportsrealist,

we scored SIX against a RANKED team, you guys scored SEVEN against an UNRANKED team. Yeah, we didn't have the best game offensively, but to try to poke fun at our 1 point loss and call us pathetic when you were crushed by 30 points is hilarious.

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    Sept. 24, 2012 2:00 p.m.

CougFaninTX

Unfortunately, your predictions are spot on:

for BYU, best case, 8-4, worst case 7-5
    for Utah, best case 5-7, worst case 4-8

Both teams need to prepare new quarterbacks for much tougher schedules next season - not necessarily as starters for the remainder of the season, but both Taysom Hill and Travis Wilson should see significant playing time in every game.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Sept. 24, 2012 1:05 p.m.

Hate to say it, but it's going to be a long season for the Cougs and Utes.

Cougs likely to finish 7-5. Best case scenario 8-4, if the defense stays stout and can figure out how to score a couple of points.

Utes likely to finish 4-8. Best case scenario 5-7.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Sept. 24, 2012 12:57 p.m.

sportsdelusionist

Don't kid yourself!

A few disgruntled BYU fans at the MC throwing stuff on the floor to show their disgust at some poor officiating is EXTREMELY mild compared to the boorish behavior exhibited by Utah fans toward BYU coaches, players, and fan CONSTANTLY throughout EVERY BYU-Utah game in RES.

Sorry, but your feeble attempt to equate a delay of game with multiple flagrant personal fouls just isn't working.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Sept. 24, 2012 11:42 a.m.

@ Chris B.

You still predicting scores?

Take MLH's advice and quit while you are behind.

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Sept. 24, 2012 11:24 a.m.

@mountanmann

or.. i have a suggestion. why dont we have the y fans throw things on the floor of basketball games TWICE so the game can end EARLY hahahhahahaha and show what real class is all about! i think everyone wants to see that again!

• sportsrealist salt lake city, UT
    Sept. 24, 2012 11:14 a.m.

@u mad bro

uhh based on your pathetic showing against boise state. you scored SIX points LOL!!
    asu is far and away better than boise state that is FOR SURE!

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Sept. 24, 2012 11:05 a.m.

@Balan,

My thoughts exactly. I too thoroughly enjoyed the Utah ASU game over the weekend. I smiled every time I thought of all our great Ute friends on these boards. Pathetic when they forget that many Ute fans represent the Mormon church just as Mormon byu fans do and somehow try to force BYU fans into a mold they think they should fall into, only to make fun of that mold the next day.

I'm with you Balan. I will enjoy every Ute loss, this year and the in years to come. It makes me so happy your comments bothered some Ute fans too Balan. I get great joy when they are unhappy!

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    Sept. 24, 2012 10:56 a.m.

"Does anyone remember when we started something like 0-4 in the conference and ended up 1 field goal away from the title game?"

You've obviously forgotten that the Utes finished in 8th place with a losing conference record and were dominated at home by one of the worst teams in the country.

You didn't overcome a 4-game deficit, even though the team that actually won the division was ineligible, and ASU and UCLA both collapsed down the stretch. The likelihood of ASU, UCLA, USC and Arizona all collapsing to hand you the division this season... is NIL.

Utah's loss to USC will dash any hope the Utes might have had to win the division.

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    Sept. 24, 2012 10:42 a.m.

MLH

Look it up buddy, ASU was NOT ranked when the Utes lost to the Sun Devils.

• Balan South Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 24, 2012 10:37 a.m.

RedBlood - Why am I not surprised that a Utah fan would bring religion into the fray? Way too predictable for Utah fans to play the "religion card" when you have nothing else to fall back on.

I have lived in Salt Lake City for 20 years and have had to endure the continual barage of hatred thrown at BYU by members of the predominant relgion and otherwise. And now that Utah is down on its luck you are going to critize me for enjoying the beatdown Utah is and will continue to take? And for what reason - religion??? Give me a break.

Are you telling me that Utah fans don't enjoy it when BYU loses? Why aren't you calling them out? Doesn't it seem a bit hypocritical to single me out when most Utah fans, the majority of whom are of the predominant religion, hate the school and football team that is owned and operated by their Church?

I will not apologize or feel the least bit sorry about my enjoyment of watching the University of Utah (and its fans) get humbled in any sport they play!

I can't wait until the USC game!

• Utes 27 USC 21 Ogden, UT
    Sept. 24, 2012 9:58 a.m.

Seriuosly give me a break. We had one horrible game. Does anyone remember when we started something like 0-4 in the conference and ended up 1 field goal away from the title game? Yes, USC was not eligible last year, but we're down 1 game and people are talking about not going to a bowl or not having a shot.

USC hasn't looked amazing either. If we win next week(which I think we will) everyone will saying correctly that Utah is the team to beat in the division. Especially, if we beat USC that means that we would have to lose TWO more for USC to have a chance, since we'd hold the tie breaker over them.

Ugly game, we got trounced. But one game is very easily overcome. Just look at last year. We overcame a 4 game deficit.

• RedBlood Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 24, 2012 9:56 a.m.

@Kiboo

The last sentence of your post speaks volumes about the kind of person you are:

"it is now our turn to sit back and enjoy the beating you are and will continue to take!"

Wow - that is simply terrible and frankly unbelievable. What kind of world do you live in? I think you need to take some time off from football and get a better sense for what brings you joy in your life. If enjoyment in your life is watching other people fail than you have some serious soul searching to do. Are you a member of the same church that BYU represents? Is this the kind of exposure BYU is looking for? Exposure in the form of getting joy from other people's failures?

Yowers....

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 24, 2012 9:48 a.m.

Utah is a nice one sport school. Some decades it's basketball, some it's football, but almost never at the same time. One other thing, when you get sky high for one game, it often takes a toll on you the next game. The Utes will need to learn to play each game as it comes without emotion. If you get sky high for USC, watch out for UCLA and OSU. (and as for BYU, yes, we are sick of how our offense is being coached and played! We should be 4-0 but you can't woulda, shoulda)

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Sept. 24, 2012 9:36 a.m.

That is all you say bcs? bcs that and bcs this. How old are you really?

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    Sept. 24, 2012 9:17 a.m.

Dear Utah,
    Sorry we ruined your season.
    love,
    Utah State

• Hegdehog Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 24, 2012 8:50 a.m.

"We're not as deficient and as outmatched as we were tonight,"

Uhhh...2yrs in a row same result? Yeah we pretty much are. Also it was a nice sentiment by Whit trying to protect Star but he's supposed to be one of the most dominant defensive players in the country and we didn't pressure their QB or slow down their RBs.

It's also the 2nd yr in a row to go flat after the BYU game. Maybe it's a good thing Whit and Hill want to quit the rivalry. It just takes to much out of us.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 24, 2012 8:49 a.m.

@mlh

• Kiboo South Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 24, 2012 8:47 a.m.

Hey Utes, congrats on your move to the PAC12 - running with the big boys now.

Unfortunately, we have now got a really good idea of how the Utes are going to perform "running with the big boys". ASU is definitely not a powerhouse in the PAC12, but they sure looked it against the Utes.

The sad thing for Ute fans is that I don't ever see the Utes being succsseful in the PAC12. Had the Utes been members in 2004 and 2008, those "magical" seasons would never have happened. And when you look at the recruiting statistics (I think Utah is ranked 11th out of 12 teams in terms of quality (stars) of recruits), the future doesn't looked bright.

BYU fans have had to deal with your arrogance for the past two years or more - you know, we're better than you are, etc. etc. etc. Well, maybe you are and maybe you aren't. However, one thing for sure - it is now our turn to sit back and enjoy the beating you are and will continue to take!

Enjoy your new reality!

• md Cache, UT
    Sept. 24, 2012 8:12 a.m.

Wow. What a bunch of whiners... on both sides of this inane argument.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Sept. 24, 2012 8:08 a.m.

Suggestion: Have the MUSS run onto the field before time expires and have more students curse out the opposing coach as he leaves the field making sure it is captured on national TV so the entire world can observe real class at RES!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 24, 2012 7:49 a.m.

I don't have as much confidence as Wittingham. The offense hasn't shown anything all season. BJ's schemes are so predictable, I'll be surprised if they score 20 points a game.

The defense has me scratching my head. It was a one game let down then that be one thing but in the last three games they've allowed 300+ yards with 130+ rushing. After BYU's performance last week it's inexcusable to allow a team like that to score 14 points and 141 yards in the 4th quarter. I can't recall the last time our defense looked so inept.

I would love to see them turn it around but I don't see how we win USC, @UCLA, @OSU, @Wash with the way we've played so far.

So the question is when does Travis Wilson take over?

• Go Utes! Springville, UT
    Sept. 24, 2012 7:22 a.m.

Embarrassing game to be sure, it was perhaps the hardest game I have ever had to watch. Offensive play calling was pathetic, defense was abysmal. I don't think we have a bowl bound team this year but i do not think a beating like this will be repeated.
    I was so frustrated watching our offense, run up the middle three times in a row. Really? Hays was 3 of 5 for 50 yards in the first drive, why would they stop throwing? it drove me absolutely crazy. and why did the offense feel like they had to run the play clock to 2 before they hiked the ball on every play?

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    Sept. 24, 2012 6:26 a.m.

I don't know what's funnier; the result of the game or the fact that around half of the comments so far are more about BYU than Utah.

Utah could win the next five national championships and produce multiple Heisman winners and the poor CB's of their fan base will still carry the "little brother" complex. It's cute.

What's not cute, but is disturbing (as in, "seek professional help" disturbing) is the delusions of winning jack this year in the PAC 12. You lost by 30 . . that's THIRTY POINTS . . to a so-so team. And somehow the Utes are going to magically turn it on for SC and every other decent team they'll play this year?

Hey, congrats on what is and what will remain your highlight of the year, Chris . . beating BYU. We're flattered. On the bright side, I bet the Ute roster and staff could put on some half-decent firesides themselves.

• camera2head west jordan, utah
    Sept. 23, 2012 11:46 p.m.

@ U 90

I have often thought the same thing over the years about our offense going back to the Mac days. Total mystery why Utah would go away from the Offense that brought them the most success and excitement in school history.

The ASU offense made our Defense look as bad as i can remember in years. I had to wonder last night if Utah only had
    9 men on Defense half the time. It was that bad!

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Sept. 23, 2012 11:17 p.m.

BYU has serious problems just like the Utes... poor running game, no proven QBs, poor O-line, turnovers, penalties etc. While Utah got manhandled by ASU, BYU lost to a Boise team that has no place kicker and couldn't score an offensive touchdown in 2 of their 3 games. Boise's offense could quite possibly be more pathetic than Utah & BYU's offenses. So while I am not bagging on the Cougs (because my Utes are pathetic) it's a head scratcher to see Y fans on here putting down the U team that absolutely owns the Y.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Sept. 23, 2012 11:02 p.m.

Just got back from Tempe. Last time I was there it was Utah vs. Pitt with the Utes running the spread with receivers wide open over the middle and QB keepers fooling the D-end for 15-20 yard gains. Last time it was Utah's speed on defense that was too much for Pitt running corner blitzes getting sacks in bucket loads. It all happened again last night except this time Utah was on the wrong end of everything. It was Utah rather than Pitt running a predictable offense from under center. It was Utah that was out-schemed and couldn't handle the opponents speed. It was Utah's defense that had no idea what play was coming next and was left guessing all night.

I'm a Whittingham supporter but don't understand why he moved away from the spread offense that Meyer installed that had opponents baffled. Over the past 8 years Utah has slowly morphed back in to the McBride offense of run on 1st and 2nd then throw on 3rd and long. Kyle, why did you abandon the spread? You just got smoked by the offense that Utah had perfected just a few short years ago.

• MLH SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 23, 2012 10:52 p.m.

u mad bro

Look it up buddy ASU was ranked the same week the y was ranked, you coug fans just keep blowing me away. And Carson is so right his comment is based on watching byu get beat two weeks in a row other than Hawaii what makes you think byu is going to win in late Sept or Oct. That's what it is BASED on Buddy

• Troy06 OREM, UT
    Sept. 23, 2012 10:45 p.m.

Hey Chris. What makes you believe you exhibit respect and positive sportsmanship? You bash on the Cougars every chance you get. Practice what you preach.

You're dilutional if you think Utah has a chance against USC. I would love to see the Utes defeat the Trojans. But seriously, Utah barely beat a bad BYU team.

Please stop talking so much smack about you're Utes. They haven't proven anything yet this season.

$1000 says USC trounces Utah.

• AltaHawkFan Sandy, UT
    Sept. 23, 2012 10:43 p.m.

Chrissy ! Nice to see you're still breathing.

The problem with you utah pac12er's is you're having an identity crisis.

You wrote 'The biggest game in Utah football of the past 10 years was the 2008 BCS bowl(ever heard of those) against Alabama.' It was the SUGAR bowl not the 2008 BCS bowl. Try to keep it straight. Also, remember that you're pirates .. err utes .. not pac12er's.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Sept. 23, 2012 10:36 p.m.

Carson

Nice 'original' retort.

My answer... I don't care, BYU will win some and will lose some. The QB problem will hopefully work itself out. I really don't see any problem with winning a game or two out of the four you mentioned.

Utes? I'm not seeing above .500 season and you're feeling it too. Most of Ute Nation is pretty bummed about the lack of performance from last night and no manner or length of preparation will overcome the problem before USC.

Losing to the Utes and to Boise was tough but they were close games. Maybe Riley's back was the only factor, who knows.

Those games were nothing compared to the pathetic meltdown from last night and then also losing to a WAC team (from your perspective) when you're so puffed up over yourselves.

I'm looking forward to seeing the excuses over the season.

• u mad bro? WVC, UT
    Sept. 23, 2012 10:26 p.m.

Carson,

up coming whoopings??? based on what? you guys were blown out by an unranked team.

• MLH SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 23, 2012 9:44 p.m.

sammyg

You need to stop while you are behind.

• Carson Provo, UT
    Sept. 23, 2012 9:18 p.m.

@ Sammyg, How is your team going to get up for these up coming whoopings ? Utah State, Oregon State, Notre Dame, and Georgia Tech. You're going to be lucky if you get past any of these teams!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 23, 2012 7:54 p.m.

And for my prediction

Utah 27
    USC 21

We only lost by 3 last year at their place. The guys will make up for their horrible showing, and with 2 weeks prep I like our chances

Go UTES! The MUSS will be rocking!

P.S. sammy I went to the ASU Utah game. The ASU fans were quite respectful, your fan base could learn a lot.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 23, 2012 7:53 p.m.

@sammy:

How did we do getting up for that one?

Or how did we do getting up for our other BCS bowl game?

Or how did we do getting up for BYU last year?

Or last year?

Or the year before that?

If we beat USC the South division is in our control again.

Remind me how your BCS bowl aspirations are this year?

Oh thats right your season ended when you lost to US!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Sept. 23, 2012 7:16 p.m.

Plenty of time to regroup, get therapy, nurse the injuries and get pumped up for the home game.

But I'm not quite sure how you get 'up' for a USC whooping.