Sports

Utah Utes football: Arizona State crushes Utah 37-7

Comments

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    Sept. 23, 2012 10:26 p.m.

Duckhunter: Look at the crazy behavior of fans; look at the behavior of wealthy sports stars. We're obsessed! I remember getting depressed because my team lost. How silly. I know someone who, as a sophomore, took state in LD debate. The newspaper didn't even mention it. If a sophomore was all state in football, he'd have his name in every edition of every paper in the area for weeks. Is one achievement more honorable than the other? I was taught to seek after things that are virtuous, lovely and of good report and praiseworthy. I don't see that in sports. But, debate, that does take someone who can do more than walk and chew gum at the same time. And music and drama also take a certain amount of intelligence and refinement. They just don't get any attention.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 23, 2012 7:40 p.m.

@JSB

If that is what we put all of our time and effort into then we would all be bored stiff and living a dreary, joyless existence. There is so much more time and wealth put into "education and infrastructure and the humanities and assistance for the poor, etc." than football to begin with that it isn't even a comparison.

We need to have past times, recreation, fun. That is what makes "educaiton and infrastructure and the humanities and assitance for the poor" tolerable pursuits.

I'm not really sure how "humanities" does any more for us than football does anyway. Sounds like in that case you want everyone to pour money into your personal likes and past times. I'm sure you have some sort of activities or other pursuits that we can eliminate and put the time and money you and others put into it into "education and infrastructure and the humanities and assistance for the poor"?

Sound like a plan to you?

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    Sept. 23, 2012 6:53 p.m.

I do wonder what would happen if the money and energy and creative energy that is spent on football were dedicated to education and infrastructure and the humanities and assistance for the poor, etc. if our society would be healthier. Perhaps civilizations centuries from now will look back at our time and wonder about our priorities and think "what strange people they were to spend so much time and energy on which team can move an odd shaped ball past a goal line while beating each other senseless!"

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 23, 2012 3:52 p.m.

"Oh Chris... where are you???"

Highlight:

Didn't you get the memo? He checked in at the sulking cabin near Tulsa when Ducky checked out.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Sept. 23, 2012 1:39 p.m.

Worf and BYUalum- You guys know as well as anyone, that both schools have some arrogant fans and guys who spout off that make the rest of us look bad. Don't for one minute try and pretend that the Y doesn't have an equal number of Jackwagons who's only quest on these boards are to try and spout their venom about the other school. I think BOTH fanbases need to class it up!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 23, 2012 12:58 p.m.

@who are you

USC has already been to LES, many years ago. I'm not sure why you will consider it a source of pride but I suppose you're grasping for just about anything at this point. I'm guessing it is more of that refracted glory thing utah "fans" seem to be so into?

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 23, 2012 10:09 a.m.

I've said this before (after the BSU/Y game)

Give me a "U"
    Give me a "G"
    Give me a "L"
    Give me a "Y"

That's to prove I am objective!

What could have been the score? Anything ASU wanted!!

Two games (BSU/Y and ASU/U) both UGLY!

Three teams look very bad! Unfortunately - the one that didn't was ASU!!

I agree with one Y fan that posted they Y would go to a bowl game - the U will not (probably). The U has 8 more PAC-12 opponents. The Y has Hawaii, and Idaho to brace their inflated self-esteem.

Looks like quite a season for the Utes - a team I thought was one of, if not, the most talented teams Utah has had - especially in depth. So what do I know?

However, nothing will take away from the joy and pride when USC comes to RES a week from Thursday!! That's USC, baby

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Sept. 23, 2012 6:50 a.m.

"The correlation between righteousness and football does not bode well for the whole state. But, I still wonder what football has to do with education."

JSB - enough of the finger pointing. Some of us can walk and chew gum at the same time. So you don't like sports, well good for you.

Chris B - your silence is deafening this morning. What happened?? You got beat - that's what happened.

• Lifelong Republican Orem, UT
    Sept. 23, 2012 2:59 a.m.

Can't wait for Vai's next article about how this wasn't what the Pac10 signed up for when they brought in Utah!

Hey Vai are you listening?

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Sept. 23, 2012 2:58 a.m.

That thud you heard and felt was all the bandwagon fans jumping off. A little humble pie will do the ute fans some good this year. Those Pac 12 banners you have pasted all over SLC are only going to remind you of the beating you are going to take each and every week in the pac12. Best of luck in your bowl game. Oh wait that was last week. At least you got a gift of a win in that one.

50% off all ute gear at D.I. this week. Go check it out. There will be lots of it!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 23, 2012 1:25 a.m.

worf
    Mcallen, TX

I don't dislike the Utes, but some of their fans are very arrogant, and bitter on the cougs.
    For this reason,-the loss is very sweet.

------------

And are you supposed to be the shining light representing Cougar Nation?

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 23, 2012 1:01 a.m.

This was funny, and I can't quit laughing.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 23, 2012 12:32 a.m.

Worf: Liked your comment.

Losing isn't fun. Feel the pain!

• ex patria cougar Tokyo, Japan
    Sept. 23, 2012 12:24 a.m.

I suspected after the BYU game that Utah stunk, but what scores like this tell me is that my cougs just stink even worse.

After Utah's win last week, I envied Utah, knowing that they at least had a conference championship to play for while BYU does not. But frankly, this game shows that Utah certainly won't be playing for a conference championship either (at least not this year).

• Highlight WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Sept. 23, 2012 12:24 a.m.

Chris B.

Oh Chris... where are you???

• Benderman1 Layton, UT
    Sept. 23, 2012 12:21 a.m.

Utah is not a good team at all. They get so hyped up to play BYU as if that's the only game that matters to them and then they're horrible for the rest of the year. I thought their defense was supposed to be good. It was horrible. ASU was running and passing on them at will. Coach Witt is really only good at preparing his team for about one game a year. Utah seems to have the same coaching problem that BYU has.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Sept. 23, 2012 12:10 a.m.

Neither Utah nor BYU look like good teams so far this year. Although it is still possible BYU's defense is okay, I don't think I can say that with confidence until after the Notre Dame game. However, I can say with confidence that both team's offenses are pitiful so far!

Hope springs eternal they can turn it around, in the meantime - Go Aggies! lol

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Sept. 23, 2012 12:00 a.m.

@JSB

"The correlation between righteousness and football does not bode well for the whole state." -The faithful in Logan are very righteous this year.

"But, I still wonder what football has to do with education."
    -Stop being a buzzkill. Just enjoy the football.

• Voice of Reason Layton, UT
    Sept. 22, 2012 11:58 p.m.

Thud.

Last week, Utah wanted the win over BYU so bad they were spitting blood, as usual.

Unfortunately, it looks like the only decent team they want to beat is apparently BYU.

• Sal Provo, UT
    Sept. 22, 2012 11:55 p.m.

Well, at least BYU wasn't trounced by Boise State. Utah teams don't look so good this year.

• Riotstallion2012 Kearns, 00
    Sept. 22, 2012 11:51 p.m.

ASU is the better team. Plain and simple.

• SportsFann Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 22, 2012 11:49 p.m.

Hmmmmmm..."Moving on" not all it's cracked u[ to be, huh Utes.Welcome back to earth.

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    Sept. 22, 2012 11:47 p.m.

It's the end of the world! Utah lost a couple of games. And so has BYU. The disgrace of it all. How embarrassing. A heavy cloud of despair hangs over the whole Wasatch front. What are we doing wrong? The correlation between righteousness and football does not bode well for the whole state. But, I still wonder what football has to do with education.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 22, 2012 11:46 p.m.

For this reason,-the loss is very sweet.

• Troy06 OREM, UT
    Sept. 22, 2012 11:46 p.m.

Way to represent the state in the PAC 12. I wish there was more of a glimmer of hope. Hey Chris B what advice do you have for coach Whit? To schedule BYU 12 times?

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Sept. 22, 2012 11:45 p.m.

Is this REALLY surprising? I'm having a hard time seeing how Utah ends up with an above .500 season.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 22, 2012 11:40 p.m.

That is called being total dominated. We looked horrible, I'm shocked how bad we were on defense.

This team is in big trouble, with no OL, running game, QB, and a rookie OC. If we play like this the rest of the season then Utah is looking at a 6-6 season. As of now, the only teams I can see us beating are WSU, Cal, and @CU.

Props to ASU, that was a total beat-down.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Sept. 22, 2012 11:40 p.m.

I'm sorry, Utah. We led you to believe that your defense was good.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Sept. 22, 2012 11:39 p.m.

It obviously was their gimmicky black helments. (And turnovers, and lack of being able to run the ball, and pourus defense, and....)

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Sept. 22, 2012 11:36 p.m.

Jeez, a week off couldn't come too soon! Come on D! Step it up!

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 22, 2012 11:36 p.m.

This one is on the coaches.

It is obvious to me that Utah is not going to work out the offensive line issues anytime soon. What did we expect from a 25-year old offensive coordinator?

Utes' defense allowed over 500 yards, not to mention 37 points. So much for that top-ranked Pac-12 defense.

This team looks bad - and its the kind of "bad" that won't get fixed anytime soon.

Maybe Utah can get lucky and beat Colorado or WSU for their 3rd and final win of the season.

• I Bleed Blue Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 22, 2012 11:36 p.m.

I smelled something tonight and it certainly wasn't roses. This is what happens when you get up for one game and then let down the next week. Classic Utah. Brings up memories of the meltdown in Vegas. USC on the horizon and 12 days to think about it. It's a good thing that the game isn't in LA.