Sports

BYU football: Offenses struggle, defenses shine, mistakes make difference as Cougars lose to Boise State

Comments

• New to Utah PAYSON, UT
    Sept. 23, 2012 6:06 a.m.

Chris Petersen the coach of BSU is an elite coach probably one of the top ten or even top 5.His
    team had youth and inexperience and questions about the new quarterback. BYU had a solid defense and a quarterback who had a year of experience. BYU had the advantage but BSU had the superior coach.Winning is a staple for BSU they know how to do it even in a down year. Both teams played defense at a level of excellence rarely seen. BSU was not intimidated but neither was BYU it was smash mouth football. Riley Nelson was over his head when faced with a really good coached team. Hill succeeded because BSU's defense was tiring and BYU had the momentum. I watched the last half and when you try a two point conversion at a winning teams house with all the chips on the table it usually a losing hand.

• buryme Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 21, 2012 8:17 p.m.

I am so disgusted with the BYU offense and their coaches that I actually enjoy reading the trash talk from the Ute fans. As bad as it hurts, they are spot on.

• The Moose Southern, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 1:40 p.m.

OK. I'll admit I am a Utah fan and am glad they lost. But with that being said, I wonder why nobody is criticizing the decision to not do an onside kick after the 2-point try failed. Yes, it may have been stupid to do the 2-point try, but at least you had a chance to win at that point if you could have somehow converted it. Kicking it long with 3 minutes left and no time outs is not very bright. I realize that onside kicks are seldom recovered, but you were going to have the clock run out on you otherwise.

• Mark Benson St George, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 1:22 p.m.

Bronco has to go and take Brandon D with him. I have never seen a more anemic offense in my life. If Taysom Hill is not the new starter then BYU football is DEAD to me!

• DBitt Homer, AK
    Sept. 21, 2012 1:08 p.m.

Riley Nelson is still the starting quarterback? Jake Heaps would have appreciated that consideration last year. Nelson is still a gutty player who doesn't throw well and makes bad decisions under pressure. Next year's schedule is tougher than this years, don't you think it's time to start getting someone ready? Nelson will shine against the creampuffs and blow against the good teams, just like last year.

• haunyocker Springville, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 1:05 p.m.

I'm sitting here ambivalent about the BYU-Bronco game. Bronco did an incredible job with the defense, there are just no two ways about it....he was masterful and the defense showed what they can do. I'm much more optimistic about the games during the rest of the season and BYU's chances. But then there's the decision to go for two. Given the fact that BYU's offense was seemingly coming alive I would have liked to call for a kick. But then had the 2-point play been successful, Bronco would have been a brilliant hero. That's football.....but that goal-line stand was a treasure for the ages and will be played over and over again...I hope.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 12:48 p.m.

re: I Bleed Blue 11:40 p.m. Sept. 20, 2012

"Our guys lost by one to a team that regularly beats you like a drum."

Had the TD that would have put BSU up 4-0 not been overturned. The Broncos would have beat BYU like the percussion section for the London Philharmonic.

There is NO WAY byu is that "lucky" 2 weeks in a row. Can you say Payola?

re: indycrimson 12:33 a.m. Sept. 21, 2012

BYU will win 7 only because their last 3 are teams that the Utes would schedule very early in the season and as home games.

• dalefarr South Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 21, 2012 12:30 p.m.

The offense breakdown is due to Riley not being a quarterback, Doman is a poor offensive cordinator and the lousy performance of the offensive line. I do not see these problems getting fixed this year. LaVelle had the good sense to hired the best assistant coaches he could find. He likewise did not drive away his blue chip players. Instead of coming home, the chickens have flown the coop.

• Dr Rush Saint George, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 12:25 p.m.

I can't believe the BYU so called fans on here that are clueless on the QB situation. There is one QB on the team that can throw the ball, has excelled in spring ball and practices came off his mission and stayed loyal to BYU when Utah and Arizona St offered him the QB position and that's senior James Lark. He has never been given a chance, first it was Heaps, then Nelson and now they pass him over for a freshman even though Mendenhall and Doaman promised him a chance. BYU fans looks to your coaching staff as a prime example of what bad character and coaching do, it's crime what your coaching staff has done to your team. James Lark is a good QB and a good kid too bad he was treated with such disrespect.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Sept. 21, 2012 11:56 a.m.

Like many others, I don't have a clue why BYU went for two instead of kicking the PAT. That was a terrible coaching decision.

So with that behind us, why would we not kick an onside kick? With 3:00 minutes to go, and no timeouts, even if we had the Broncos to 3 and out, we would have had about 30 seconds to create a miracle. That was another terrible coaching decision.

I was impressed with Hill's running ability, but I'm not ready to crown him as the next great BYU QB. His passes were less than impressive. However, I hope we start and play him most of the game against Hawaii. I think it would be good experience for him, and I think two weeks of rest would help Nelson. Not sure what's wrong with Riley, but he is not the same QB. He needs to get well.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Sept. 21, 2012 11:50 a.m.

I have to admit - I was wrong. I had Boise State by 24. Both these teams stunk up the field.

But the bonehead play of the night? BYU going for 2.

• Bleed Crimson Sandy, Utah
    Sept. 21, 2012 11:50 a.m.

Cougar fans: How's your national exposure going?

• taraxopoios Lake Tapps, WA
    Sept. 21, 2012 11:46 a.m.

BTW, don't get your hopes up for Hill to start. Statement from an ESPN article today:

While Hill may have energized the Cougars late, Mendenhall made sure to douse speculation Nelson will be replaced as the starter for the Sept. 28 game against Hawaii.

"Riley is our quarterback," Mendenhall said after the game. "I want him to be healthy and I want him to be able to look me in the eye and tell me, 'Coach, I am absolutely ready.' I don't have any different feelings about him than I did going into this game."

• taraxopoios Lake Tapps, WA
    Sept. 21, 2012 11:43 a.m.

I was in the stadium and thought the call to go for two was good, even if risky. What I didn't like was the play that was called to go for two. Whether Hill was flushed out of the pocket or the play was designed for him to roll out to the right it was essentially the same play as the one that scored the touchdown. Let's get a little variety and keep the other team guessing.

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 11:35 a.m.

Why is Taysom Hill suddenly the #2 QB? I understood that Lark would be the guy relieving Nelson this early in the season. I have to think he could have done a better job passing, which would have opened up the offense, than Taysom at this point.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Sept. 21, 2012 11:09 a.m.

At least they will finish strong against Idaho, San Jose and New Mex State. woo hooo

• What Ever United States, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 11:03 a.m.

@ I Bleed Blue
    I can't figure out why you're laughing. Your team got "beaten like a drum" two years in a row by Utah. Think about it. Maybe it isn't that you're laughing as much as having panic attacks. Sometimes the symptoms are the same.

• BleedBlue&Orange Boise, 00
    Sept. 21, 2012 10:46 a.m.

As a Boise State fan, that was not pretty, but give credit to Boise State D as well. We did not lose everyone there. Our D-Line has 3 players that played plenty last year. Also Hill is the real deal people. I agree mostly with you guys on not going for 2, but if he would of went and converted it, what would you be saying now? Boise State is not a national team at this point. Our O is terrible as well as our play calling. Our D and fans won that game. I have had season tickets for over 10 years and that was the loudest I have ever heard it at some points. Your coach acted like a class act and great rep for BYU. However, I saw many times where the AD, Homo? Chewing the officials up and down. So it begs the question who really in charge on the field?

• BYUfaninWashSt Everett, WA
    Sept. 21, 2012 10:34 a.m.

Obituaries:
    Boise ID (AP) - BYU Football, with offensive passing schemes that once revolutionized college football, and nearly mythologized themselves into the country's favorite college passing team, finally died Thursday evening from multiple complications, primarily due to poor coaching disease. The football program was 90 years old.

• KSUBYU Yucca Valley, CA
    Sept. 21, 2012 10:33 a.m.

Bronco showed more emotion than I ever saw from him. He needs to go back to the boring look and ho hum attitude on the side line. Going for 2 was a stupid decision based on nothing but emotion. Its looking like a 5-7 season, no bowl, no conference invite and if they don't find a QB for next year no ESPN contract.

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 10:26 a.m.

I have two Freaking Words:

James Freaking Lark.

Okay, maybe that was three words... Put Lark in the game Coach!

• MizzouBlue Carthage, MO
    Sept. 21, 2012 10:19 a.m.

Somebody should check to see if Nielson,Wilson,McMahon,Young,Bosco,or Detmer have any eligibility remaining.

• D4inSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 10:01 a.m.

@afcoug,
    You are kidding, right? Yes, on those days Utah and BSU were better teams than Byu. And USU was a better team than My Utes on the day they played. It's a fact, look at the score! Yes, we will all work to improve so that the outcome changes in future games, but the outcome of the contest can't be changed.

BTW, Cougar fan - incredible defensive showing. Something to build on

• coleman51 Orem, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 9:59 a.m.

It was painfully apparent that Riley Nelson was injured and that Taysom Hill was vastly inexperienced with too few snaps. However, there appears to be glaring deficiencies with the coaching. This is one game where they played Nelson too long but when it was apparent he could not throw the ball, they should have brought in an experienced backup, James Lark. Also, don't blame the loss on the players. A very bad decision by Mendenhall not to kick a PAT rather than go for two likely cost them the game. At least it would have given us an overtime to give us more downs to win. This is one case where the coaches outcoached themselves.

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 9:53 a.m.

Performance reflects leadership.

BYUs defense is tough because Bronco is the Defensive Coordinator and he is very good at it.

BYUs offense is pathetic because the Offensive Coordinator is weak and sub-par.

The overall team will struggle to reach 8 wins because, although Bronco is very good as a Defensive Coordinator, he is a below average Head Coach. The good Head Coaches know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em, and Bronco should have folded Doman some time ago.

• HCB63 Orem, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 9:49 a.m.

Four completions for nineteen yards; one fumble; three interceptions. A grand total of 32 yards of TOTAL Offense...yeah, you read that number right!

It was so fun to watch the 'BYU Legend in the making', Riley Nelson, fall flat on his face tonight! He now has six turnovers--that he was the sole cause of--in two games. Well, make that nine when you count the three additional fumbles last week at Utah that were somehow called incomplete forward passes.

Is everyone else starting to see how great Nelson ISN'T? Or are the hardcore BYU football-illiterate fans going to continue fawning all over this guy? And Nelson's struggles come against teams that aren't even very good!

All I can do is just laugh! Riley Nelson...the Hero...the Legend...

...Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!....

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 9:47 a.m.

@ibleedblue

hahaha i have to laugh at fans like you who cant see the differences between good and terrible teams. (i.e boise state 2010 GREAT team- boise state 2012 TERRIBLE team)
    so keep laughin and utah will keep laughin at you.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 9:47 a.m.

"[P]ease tell me how either Utah or BSU are the better team. . . . BYU has developed a huge turnover problem. . . . Utah and BSU are not a better team than BYU, BYU simply cannot play a remotly clean game."

AFcoug:

I know you can't bring yourself to admit it, but you answered your own question. A team that consistently turns the ball over and can't play a clean game simply isn't as good as the teams it loses to.

And by the way, that D-1AA team Utah beat a couple of weeks ago did win a game already. However the D-1AA team BYU beat is still winless. Just so you know.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 9:39 a.m.

That is a very good defense, which only happens about once every 15 years at byu.
    Boise is down quite a few notches from the last 5-6 years.
    I'm with I Bleed Blue, losing to boise by 1 is much better than losing to your rival 8 out of the last 11 years.

• olcoyote West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 9:36 a.m.

Looking down the road, I think Hill could lead the team to a 4 wins and 4 loss record. After teams figure out that Hill can run, they will key on that. I wasn't too impressed with his arm either. It looked like he was trying to skip pass? That would put them at 6-6 for the year. Qualify for the Poinsettia Bowl. Next year, that would put Hill up against the next phenom QB. After the Utah game, the replacement QB will be ready to take over for a year. And so the merry go round keeps on turning.

• rdrunner Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 21, 2012 9:31 a.m.

From a USU fan. Don't like to see BYU lose unless they're playing USU, although losing Nelson hurts a little less after that performance. Don't worry BYU fans, I'm sure he'll show up just in time to play his former team again...

• BYUtah Fan Herriman, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 9:28 a.m.

It was an unbelievably stupid decision to go for two. Tying the game would have turned the game over to the placekickers (advantage BYU) and the defenses (advantage BYU). Particularly at that point of the game when the BYU offense was showing some life; staking it all on one throw of the dice was a very bad decision.

But, the larger problem is what has happened to the BYU offense. Even a bad BYU offense would have won that game. Riley cannot find receivers and his passes are now very inaccurate. Doman's neck should also be on the chopping block. After the Heaps debacle and then this year's offensive collapse, something is seriously wrong. The talent is there. We have two of the best wideouts in the country, good running backs and a good offensive line. Where is the performance? Changes need to be made.

On the other side of the ball, BYU may have one of the best, if not THE BEST, defense ever. Their performance has been awesome. Fortunately, with such a defense, we will likely have a chance to win every game. But with BYU's present offense, we are likely to blow that chance.

• Madden Herriman, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 9:19 a.m.

What worries me most is that I hear Bronco said Riley is still the starter. Unbelievable! He is the worst performing quarterback we've had in a long time, and worst by a mile for senior QBs. He has heart, but the coaches need to yank him. It is offensive to tell Hill or Lark that they would rather use a broken down, ineffective Nelson than either of them. Terrible coaching decisions.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 9:18 a.m.

In the second half they ran a stat for byU that was quite horrific. The cougs had at that point:

5 first downs and
    5 turn overs

OUCH!

I see at least 3 more losses on the horizon and 2 could be blow outs.

• BSU BRONCO!! Rigby, ID
    Sept. 21, 2012 9:18 a.m.

Hats off to both Defenses. BYU has to have one of the quickest most physical defenses in school history. Coach Petterson needs to fire OC Prince do what Bronco does and do the play calling. Terrible game plan and even worst executon. You think Riley is bad Southwick is just as bad but without the turnovers. Ugly ugly win but we will take it.

BYU needs to go to the Big East with BSU. Can you imagine how big of a rilvary this game would be in 3-4 years when its also for the conferance championship. Would be fun to see.

I will be rooting for BYU every game the rest of year.

• SyracuseCoug Syracuse, ut
    Sept. 21, 2012 9:16 a.m.

The saddest part of this situation is that this is the best defense we have had since the '96 team with Muirbrook and company, and the worst offense since 2003. Can you imagine if this defense was teamed up with the John Beck or Max Hall offenses? But as I have learned, sometimes it's torture to be a BYU fan.

Go with Hill the rest of the season and let him develop and get some experience. It's time to end the Riley love affair. And O line, how about cleaning up the false starts and stop missing blocks please. Hill had no chance on the 2 point play, O line missed blocks and he was running for his life as soon as he had the ball in his hands.

• altahoops Provo, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 9:05 a.m.

I have no end of praise for BYU's run defense. Amazing and smothering. What drives me nuts is the way we play pass defense. Instead of jamming receivers at the line, like BSU was doing to us all night, we give them a 10 to 15 yard cushion. If the other team has a QB that can hit close to the target, it is a first down every time. I'm waiting for a team who recognizes this and suddenly our defense will not look so great anymore.

My support of Nelson is all but depleted. I love that he came in a year ago and sparked the team and played with enthusiasm and grit. Why? Because there was no pressure on him. He was the backup and if he screwed up, it's kind of half expected anyway. Now that he's the man, he is not dealing with the pressure well at all. If he's playing hurt, which he denies, he needs to understand that he is only hurting the team and making himself look incompetent. If it's just the pressure, he needs some sessions with the team shrink.

• Utejazz West Valley City, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 8:42 a.m.

Man such a boring game. Both teams looked terrible, except for Defense. I honestly don't get why BYU didn't just kick the extra point. If they tie the game and go to OT BYU wins in OT, i'd say.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 8:36 a.m.

word is LaVell is coming back. hard to see the fall of a once great program. spirit, tradition and honor. how about winning? isn't that important?

• fan of all sports Heber City, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 8:32 a.m.

Future is not bright for Cougars. Lets look at next year.

Offense: O-line will be worse, hard to believe, but it will be, Receivers, Tight Ends and Running backs the same, Quarterback better if Hill plays the rest of the year, slightly better if he doesn't.

Defence: D-Line will be worse, Linebackers same unless Van Noy leaves for the pros, then slightly worse, secondary a little worse.

Special teams same Coaching Same

Schedule harder: Look for a record of 6 and 6 or 5 and 7.

I said that this year would be either 7 and 5 or 6 and 6 and that is what will happen.

BYU needs a better work ethic, I haven't seen much improvement in any player for years and some have actually gotten worse.
    I'm not a fan or am I a pessimist, this is reality.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 8:31 a.m.

i think bronco will say this is another learning experience. when will they ever learn? pathetic showing.

• cork Murray, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 8:31 a.m.

Riley, Riley, he's my man. If he can't do it....well, I'll just keep playing him, since...he's my man!!!

Pathetic.

• Frankenberry Saint George, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 8:29 a.m.

I would like to take the entire BYU defense out for dinner. Anywhere they want to go. I can't, of course, for 2 reasons: I can't afford it and it would surely violate some NCAA rule. BSU only had about 200 yds total offense, NO points and VanNoy and friends pitched a goal line stand for the ages. The offense? wow. The ESPN guys were channeling the ghosts of years gone by to wit: "The school that produced Gifford Neilson, Mark Wilson, Steve Young, Jim MacMahon, Ty Detmer has 22 yards passing through 2 and a half quarters." Need lots of work.

• williary Kearns, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 8:21 a.m.

If only BYU's offense wasn't terrible and could score more than 6 points, they would have won that game!

Stand proud Cougars. Even though your record says 2-2, we all know you haven't truly lost a game in years.

The facts are not what matters, it's what you believe in your hearts!

I do give Bronco credit on the 2-point attempt. He's finally admitting what everyone else knows. Once the Utah game is done for BYU, and another rivalry loss has them destined for the Poinsettia Bowl, he understands that the rest of their schedule are just exhibitions games that mean nothing to the grand scheme of major college football. So why not throw caution to common sense and go for the win. Glad to see he's finally coming around to reality.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 8:16 a.m.

Here's the problem with going for two: After BYU lined up to run the play, Boise called time out to make defensive adjustments. Duringg the play, Hill was rushed by a defender that the line missed blocking. So it blew up. Deciding to go for two was really a smart move, but after Boise called time out and adjusted to the play, BYU should have kicked the PAT and gone into overtime, making Boise waste their time out. Instead, it helped them win the game. Bronco and staff were out-coached when they easily could have reversed the outcome by thinking a little bit instead of having tunnel vision after their score.

• mdp Bountiful, utah
    Sept. 21, 2012 8:15 a.m.

IMHO, the real losers in this game were the coaches (on both teams) and the BYU offensive line who could not keep anyone out of the backfield last night.

• AFCoug Colorado Springs, CO
    Sept. 21, 2012 8:14 a.m.

Xert please tell me how either Utah or BSU are the better team. They won because BYU has developed a huge turnover problem. Utah on a snap that went 20 yards into the backfield and BYU tried to pick up instead of falling on it and BSU because of 5 turnovers. Nelson is competative but he has got to learn that taking a sack, laying on a fumble or throwing it far out of bounds are all better options than fumbling it or throwing a pick. Utah and BSU are not a better team than BYU, BYU simply cannot play a remotly clean game. Did those teams beat them. Sure. Does that mean they are a better team. Not really. It does mean that they played better for one night but does not mean they are a better team. So Ute fan, is Utah St. really a better team than Utah? How about Colorado? According to you Utah has beaten a bad BYU team (by your own definition) and a no win Div-2 team from last year. Good luck being stuck with BYU in medocrity. 6-6 at best for Utah their O is as bad BYUs.

• MizzouBlue Carthage, MO
    Sept. 21, 2012 8:08 a.m.

Jeff Call writes, "Mendenhall said Riley Nelson is still BYU's starting QB." I admire Riley's grit & competitiveness, but coach has got to see what's transpired almost everytime he goes up against stronger teams. They've already figured out how to game plan for Nelson. The jury is still out on Hill, but he showed a lot of promise on BYU's scoring drive. Hill is faster, stronger, & throws a better ball than Nelson already. He needs to be in game situations to improve. Hawaii is next, which would be a good game for Hill to start.
    Two more thoughts: 1) I don't know if it was coach or Doman who decided to go for 2 on our td, but that was a monumental mistake. Our D was playing lights out the whole game & there's a great chance we could have stopped them & had a chance to win. Oh well, so much for woulda, coulda, shoulda. 2) Our offensive line needs work. They need to do better job of run blocking as well as protecting the QB in pass situations. Lots to be done during the next week!

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    Sept. 21, 2012 8:03 a.m.

If BYU made the 2 points Mendenhall would be a hero. And everyone would say what a great call. Now that they did not he is the goat. Got to give him credit for guts. We can argue all day long what is right and wrong. I support the call but did not like the outcome. Sometimes you have to go for it.

We need to find the offence which I think is there but dormant. If we do we will do fine with any team. If not we are in some serious trouble. I think afer today they will find it or some changes are in order. See some good things in the next few years though.

And this article has nothing to do with UTAH. So please talke BYU and BSU.

• Bifftacular Spanish Fork, Ut
    Sept. 21, 2012 7:54 a.m.

BYU has become unwatchable (and I'm a BYU fan). First, all the turnovers and penalties last week and then the penalties and decision to go for two...why?! Boise's offense hadn't scored the entire night and BYU's offense had just scored and had the momentum. You go for two with a rookie quarterback and no time outs when you have a sure 1 point kick to tie? Unbelievable. That could go down as one of the most inept coaching decisions ever. BYU's coaching staff has lost whatever they once had - at this point, I'm not too sure that was a lot to begin with. BYU deserved to lose against Boise and Utah. They are an inept team. Notre Dame is going to squish them.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Sept. 21, 2012 7:51 a.m.

This is the only team in college football where the main play is the QB draw. There's where this team is, folks.

• hud NA, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 7:37 a.m.

Doman and Bronco need to be replaced. Riley struggled and he was replaced. Coaches shouldn't be any different. Going for two? That was just embarrassing.

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    Sept. 21, 2012 7:34 a.m.

Boneheaded to go for two!

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Sept. 21, 2012 7:32 a.m.

Once again, I search through a BYU football article and read comments and fail to find one instance of crediting an opponent for a good win. The players seemed to be able to do it after the game, but scribes and wannabe scribes can't seem to find a word of praise for a very worthy opponent. BYU did play an outstanding defensive game, but they didn't simply commit costly mistakes on offense in the first half---they had their hats handed to them by an even better defense. Losing close road games to two teams who are a bit down (injury wise in Utah's case--talent wise in BSU's case) is frustrating, it's understood. But take it from this Ute fan--crediting your opponent for simply playing a better game is good for the character and helps to put sports in it's proper perspective.

• Yooper Houghton, MI
    Sept. 21, 2012 7:27 a.m.

Wow, Mendenhall's Russian-roulette decision to go for the 2-point conversion was, how shall I put it? CROWTON-ESQUE.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Sept. 21, 2012 7:27 a.m.

The problem is not our QB's. We've gone through 2 in 2 seasons now, and tanked them after they just died, and after a decent starting game both years. Riley was as clueless last night as Heaps was after 3 starts last year. The common denominator? Doman. He's the QB coach. We have wasted talent at WR and on the line and even in the backfield. I would say Riley and Heaps could flourish under the right coach and system. Our whole offensive SYSTEM is pathetic. How could our defense be so good at the same time?

Yet, we ran off Anae and look what he is doing at UA. I wonder if it is also how the OC is being managed. I suspect the real source of the problems on offense is not the QB's themselves.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Sept. 21, 2012 7:18 a.m.

defense great, offense nothing. 'nuff said. glad i expected the loss. sadly, more coming.

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 7:02 a.m.

I love Riley Nelson, and he handled his benching with class. We should have given him a chance to show that class in the first half. Taysom Hill is a baller!!! Sorry, Bronco, but the 2 pt. conversion was a dumb decision...and I expressed that opinion BEFORE the play. Calm down, consult your assistants, and make a good choice. It's OK to decide based on the percentages rather than the testosterone!

Great game, Defense. Great last drive, Offense.

• thebig1 SLC, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 7:00 a.m.

good to have Bronco Crowton calling the shots

• EightOhOne St. George, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 6:42 a.m.

@So. Cal Reader

great comment about some byu fan bringing up utah for no reason being irrelevant to what happened last night. you are one of the few reasonable ones, kudos to you. its a shame that the cougars defense is wasting away behind an inept offense. byu fans should be beyond livid today

• Marine1 Apollo Beach, FL
    Sept. 21, 2012 6:36 a.m.

I am a loyal and loving BYU fan. But last night made me sick to stay up until midnight only to see such a stupid decision to go for two. I normally like the idea of going for two, but when your defense has been the entire team that night give them the chance to win it for you. Allow them to stop Boise again near the 20 yard line and give our offense another chance with Hill at the reins. As it is I hate to say it, but Riley must be in some pain. His presence is not what it was last year or even the beginning of this year. Perhaps he needs to rest his back for a week and support the larger good by getting himself healthy. he is not the greatest when it comes to throwing, but he usually comes close, not the case the past two games.

• Allen#2 WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 6:28 a.m.

Great job DEFENSE. Sad for BYU that Riley Nelson has been jinxed by defecting to BYUm from Utah State - but great for Utah State.

Nevertheless, BYU will beat Utah State again.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 6:16 a.m.

If by struggle you mean totally stunk up the field, then I agree. Abysmal performance both on the field and in the booth. The only touchdown pass thrown was to the other team. And yet they wait until the second half to yank him? Unbelievable! Doman, what have you done to the Cougars? We do not want an option offense! Bring back the pass!

• Go Utes! Springville, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 6:10 a.m.

What an amazing goal line stand by the BYU D. have to be impressed by that. but all in all i am not at all impressed by either team. i expected more out of both offenses, at least some scoring. it is quite clear that Riley was never a good qb but that he padded his stats by playing weak opponents all year last year.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Sept. 21, 2012 5:51 a.m.

BYU doesn't really have any playmakers. ....6 points! Neither does Boise St. at this point. It's time to start looking forward to next year. This season is surely a bust already.

• logicalfallacy Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 21, 2012 5:27 a.m.

The bottom line is that Mendenhall doesn't care about the final score - he only cares that his defense held BSU on the goal line. He didn't let BSU score an offensive touchdown so in his mind he won.
    If it wasn't for his protected little world he lives in where he can still eke out a winning record in spite of horrible coaching decisions, this guy would be run out of town for his lack of preparation.

• Sal Provo, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 1:34 a.m.

I think the future looks good for BYU with Hill as quarterback. He was making steady progress until that disastrous call to go for 2 instead of the PAT. Even I, a football illiterate, would not have gone for 2. Hill didn't have enough experience to handle that.

I expect to see a vastly improved offense from here on out with Hill at the helm.

• milkshake St. George, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 12:47 a.m.

I witnessed this debacle first hand at Bronco Stadium. Honestly, both teams are horrific! This game was an embarrasment for BSU and BYU. Credit to the BSU fans, they were very loud and made the game entertaining...other than that, I will never get those 4 hours of my life back.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 12:43 a.m.

Offenses struggle? With Riley's 44% and Hill's 40%, BYU's QBs threw for a combined 84% completions!

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 21, 2012 12:39 a.m.

@ I Bleed Blue

Are you talking about me? I take honest shots at BYU sometimes, but I am more positive about BYU than BYU fans a lot of times.

To be fair, Utah is not the only one that has struggled with Boise State. McBride even lost to them before they were a big name. BYU is 0-3 against Boise State. Remember that. Check 2003. Is that not getting beat like a drum (as you said)? BYU hasn't played Boise since they reached their peak from 2005 to 2011 either (losing in 2003 and 2004). Yes Utah has gotten spanked by Boise State. Still, this year is the year to play them. BYU had a shot, but it didn't work out. I was impressed how the Cougars bounced back on a short week after a tough game last Saturday.

Overall, Boise State isn't a world beater right now. This is the 2nd game so far in 3 games that their offense failed to score a TD. Michigan State shut them out as well (check the box score stats). Boise has a new coordinator and QB.

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    Sept. 21, 2012 12:33 a.m.

I bleed blue,

When you wrote your comment about Ute fans writing about the game, we're to having a dream of future happenings? The way I read this, all 5 posts were from Cougies fans until me...2 before your post and 2 after.

But I will make your dream come true.

BYU could potentially lose the next FIVE...Hawaii being the exception...

Aggies? How you liking this game?
    Norte Dame?
    Georgia Tech?
    Oregon State?
    Hawaii??

Riley? Hill? Riley? PAT? 2 pt conversion? Lions, tigers, bears????

Oh my...
    Go UTES....

• The Deuce Livermore, CA
    Sept. 21, 2012 12:27 a.m.

If you saw it on ESPN it was a bad offensive game for both teams. If you were in the stadium as I was, it was worse. Both teams who in the past had provided ESPN with high powered offenses looked weak. As one BSU fan told me before the game, he thought this would be decided by the defenses. He was right. It is now time for BYU to reconsider this coaching staff and quite frankly the AD. This has been a trainwreck for way too long now and we saw it tonight on national TV. For all intents and purposes, BYU's season is history after the last 2 weeks. When will they throw in the towl on this mess and start new? Yes, BYU got all the national exposure they needed.

• OC Fan Orange County, CA
    Sept. 21, 2012 12:15 a.m.

So much for BYU's success with senior quarterbacks...

And Riley Nelson wasn't the only one making bad decisions.

Can't wait to watch a 4-5 BYU play Idaho!

• Bleed Crimson Sandy, Utah
    Sept. 21, 2012 12:12 a.m.

@ I Bleed Blue

"I have to laugh at all the negative comments from Utah fans. Our guys lost by one to a team that regularly beats you like a drum. Utah has never played Boise State close".

What a silly comment to make! The last two times Utah played Boise State. The Broncos were either going to the BCS that year or being led by the winningest QB in college football history and a LOADED offensive and defensive talent. BYU got BSU this year in a rebuilding year. BSU lost almost all their starters from last year and BYU was returning most of their starters from last year and the Cougies still couldn't beat the Broncos. That's sad!

Just an FYI: BSU leads the series with Utah 5-2 and BSU leads the series with BYU 3-0. At least Utah has beaten the Broncos before.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Sept. 20, 2012 11:55 p.m.

Re: I Bleed Blue: "I have to laugh at all the negative comments from Utah fans." Well, how about this negative comment from a Cougs fan- this was one of the poorest showings by the BYU team I've seen in a long time. And even as a Cougs fan I can certainly be critical of a crazy decision by Bronco to not go for the PAT near the end of game: We have no imeouts, Boise State has zero confidence in their kicker and we've made 60+ consecutive PAT's. The decision to go for 2 points was beyond a head-scrathcer. "Utah has never played Boise State close." How is that relevant? All Cougs fans should be ticked off by the offensive showing & coaching this game-- the only college football game on national TV. I expected much, much more.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Sept. 20, 2012 11:42 p.m.

2nd game in-a-row of a team that wasn't prepared for a big game and had very poor offensive execution. That's coaching, or the lack thereof. Nice national showing! No PAT to tie the game? We have no more time-outs and Boise State has zero confidence in their placekicker. 60+ straight PAT's. Why not get this game into OT? How's that "national exposure" feeling now as our Cougs get embarrassed for the 2nd game in-a-row. I'm hoping to find a little critique of Bronco's coaching decisions and Doman's offensive scheme, but doubt I'll find it from any DN articles. Looks like the team's peaking at the best time of our schedule. I guess we'll chalk up some wins during the tough November games. Come on, Cougs. We've gotta do much, much better than this. Wow.

• I Bleed Blue Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 20, 2012 11:40 p.m.

I have to laugh at all the negative comments from Utah fans. Our guys lost by one to a team that regularly beats you like a drum. Utah has never played Boise State close.

• russhoops OGDEN, UT
    Sept. 20, 2012 11:33 p.m.

I can't understand why when your defense has shut down your opponents offense the entire game that you would choose to go for two after a touchdown. Play calling has got to be susupect. When you know that a team has only lost 3 games on their field since the year 2000 and you have an opportunity to tie that team and then let your defense go to work on them, you would still choose to go for two. GO FIGURE!!!!!!!!

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 20, 2012 11:23 p.m.

BYU's defense and Boise State's defense were great. But on the flip side, both offenses are awful. Boise has a new coordinator and no Kellen Moore. BYU has no QB. It's sad for the Cougars with the playmakers they have that don't get the ball.

The difference in both defenses came down to turnovers created by Boise State, and fantastic defense by BYU that still created no turnovers.

Turnovers are a killer for BYU time and time again. Some BYU fans don't realize that turnovers lost is part of the game, and more so than who puts up better stats elsewhere. It's hard not to make excuses when you lose. I wrestled with them when Utah lost to Utah State on an offensive pass interference call. Utah still lost. BYU lost the last two games. It's a tough pill to swallow for the Cougars, but it is what it is.