U.S. & World

Makers, takers, and Mitt Romney's 47 percent comment

• robbielu Fresno, CA
    Sept. 29, 2012 8:18 p.m.

Romney is right, whether you make the breakdown for those who are Social Security, etc. There are far too many of us that are on the dependency roster of the the United States goverment. It isn't called "Uncle Sugar Daddy" without reason. And one thing is certain we are in a "feed me! fix me!" mode these day with the addition of the, "You owe me" syndrome close at hand.

My view of the Senator is that he is the "Leader of the Pack" of the "Lemings on a Leash!" God help us all if the good senator thinks the he is. Especially with the "less than arms length transaction with the U.S.Bureau of Land Mamagement in Nevada.

My experience in government service tells me that all of this stir over what Governor Romney said is like the "elephant on your coffee table!" everybody knows that it is there but nobody wants to talk about it!

The other thing is the dissapointment felt by the "Progressives" that there is still a majority of 53 percent of the people that the haven't converted to total government dependency yet!

• Readypro Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 21, 2012 4:17 a.m.

Unfortunately this may be the nail in Mitt Romney's 'Presidential Bid' coffin. Food, water, shelter and basic healthcare is something that all human beings should expect. And if society/employment can't provide the means for people to get them, we end up a lawless society. Further, Mitt's wife has M.S., and I find it short-sighted for him not to remember that people with disabilities need some help. It shouldn't be that hard for Mitt to take what he has learned from his wife, and apply that to people that dont have another source of income like a spouse, or family, to make ends meet. We do need labor laws in place that allow disabled people to work. And, as a member of his church, with a disability, I am disappointed that, for a brief moment, Mitt apparently forgot some important lessons he should have already learned in life. I will vote for him, because his is the better man. But I am concerned that his poor choices in words are more than ineloquent. We care for the poor, even those that are shouldn't be on welfare, so that they can contribute.

• CabezaMan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 1:46 a.m.

All the tit-for-tat quibbling over what Mitt said or what he meant is disgusting and worthless drivel. I don't care what Mitt said, or how you think you can spin it. I know what he means and what drives him, and I clearly understand his agenda for our country. Do you really understand Obama's agenda? Really?

Furthermore, are you going to get all caught up in the diversionary minutia, take offense at general statements, and vote for the other guy out of spite? The truth is that you can only take offense because you choose to, and not because Mitt's words are offensive. You choose not to understand what he was saying, even though deep down you really do. The truth is you want exactly what Mitt was explaining that Obama is selling, and you want it so bad that you've blinded yourselves to the reality of the situation and the consequences of the Obama agenda. If you truly pay attention to what each candidate is saying, the choices have never been more clearly articulated, and more diametrically apposed - Liberty or Dependency, Capitalism or Socialism, Strength or Weakness, Boldness or Appeasement.

• peter Alpine, UT
    Sept. 20, 2012 6:24 p.m.

Did anyone listen to Romney's entire statement? This little quote has been taken completely out of context by the MSM, and obviously by its gullible followers. People need to wise up. The DN needs to report about real issues facing this nation, like how destructive Obama's lack of budget, Fed Res money printing, and excessive spending are sending America over a fiscal cliff, or the WH failed foreign policies that allow extreme radicals to get away with killing US embassadors in Libya, under the false guise of some offensive video.

• John Harrison Sandy, UT
    Sept. 20, 2012 1:54 p.m.

Schulzke implies that David Brooks is not a Republican. I'm not sure if this is on purpose or not, but it should be pointed out that Brooks is a conservative and a Republican. His "Thurston Howell Romeny" piece is right on and is a serious critique by someone that would like to see Romney both win and effective advocate a conservative position. It appears that neither will happen.

Also, I'm not seeing the paradox referenced in the last paragraph. Low income white voters were disparaged by both Romney (who they tend to support) and Obama. Where is the paradox?

• kargirl Sacramento, CA
    Sept. 20, 2012 1:06 p.m.

There may be a lot of emphasis on income tax--the very same records Mr. Romney doesn't want anyone to see--but the most regressive taxes are the state and local taxes paid by all, which the poorest pay most often and more of their income for. Not only is this State, payroll, and gas taxes, but everyone who lives in states--which include nearly all of them--where a sales tax is collected--pay sales tax on nearly everything that isn't food--TP, paper towels, cleaning stuff, shampoo, diapers, soap, laundry products, vitamins, and in some states, food as well. So there you have it, these taxes, which keep local and state economies going, and allow the federal government not to be subsidizing even more of those entities than they need to be, is already being paid by the poorest in larger percentages than the more affluent. In my state, sales tax alone is around 8.5%, depending on your county.

• bullet56 Olympia, WA
    Sept. 20, 2012 11:08 a.m.

I think this is a fair and balanced report of the incident. I wonder if Mr. Romney, included enough Americans in the 47%. Did he mean to include the Americans who get a tax break for every child in the house? I have no offspring, get none of the great benefits that brings tax wise, yet, I pay to educate those same children. So that is government support. Did he include the big agriculture owners with hands out for crop support, disaster relief, of protective tax policies? Did he include the disabled military vets? I don't think that is who Mitt was talking about. He seemed to mean, those Americans who are not white like him, rich like him, privileged like his family, and educated in private schools. Obama wins by 10%

• Aloha Saint George Saint George, Utah
    Sept. 20, 2012 10:31 a.m.

The fact is that the government is OVERSPENDING and doesn't have enough to go around. We have a few options.

1. Keep spending and make those are recieving content
    2. Keep spending and have rich pay
    3. Keep spending and let poor, middle class pay too
    4. Keep spending and take from other program- 'rob Peter to pay Paul'
    5. Live within you means- that means people will not get what they had because the barrel is empty.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 20, 2012 8:38 a.m.

I have to wonder how many liberals will still feel Obama cares after our national debt causes a collapse of our financial system - when China and Russian refuse to lend to us anymore - when the federal reserve can't buy anymore of our debt - when our credit rating is down graded again and interest rates sky rocket to Jimmy Carter like rates (20%). Seems like a long way off huh? I am hearing more and more rumblings of perhaps 2 years or less unless we change direction DRASTICALLY!! Our debt is at 16 trillion now. 16 trillion!!! Four years ago it was 9 trillion and Obama called Bush unpatriotic for that amount. Obama said Bush was putting our kids and grand kids in bondage to the bank of China and he was right. Well - he has added 6 trillion himself to that amount and it doesn't matter why or how - the fact is our debt is at 16 trillion and growing fast! There won't be ANY entitlement money for anyone soon - just like Greece and political finger pointing won't matter at that point.... we will all be dead in the water.

• DonP Sainte Genevieve, MO
    Sept. 20, 2012 7:57 a.m.

Mitt may have his faults, but when compared with the opposition he shines brightly. I haven't heard anything from him that has forced me to change my mind about who to vote for.

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 20, 2012 7:20 a.m.

To all you Romney defenders who are writing in, I'm sorry to say that no matter how you try to spin what he said, his comments had an eliteist, out of touch tone and they did him damage in the eyes of a lot of voters. Sadly, for someone who is so highly educated as he is, he seems to lack good judgment. That raises a red flag for independents like me who want the best leadership possible in the Presidency of our nation.

• utahboni Ogden, UT
    Sept. 20, 2012 7:14 a.m.

The majority of uneducated white voters who live on government assistance are in the south. The southern states receive considerably more assistance than the rest of the country. The tax flow tends to go from the Liberal city dwellers to the Conservative country cousins. Romney seems to only be aware of who the top 10 percent of his supporters are.

• Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 20, 2012 5:55 a.m.

Mitt said something stupid pandering to the far right, what is so hard admit about that? Republicans come on here and try to justify it somehow. Is this who Mitt really is? Does he really believe that 47% of Americans have a victim mentality? Probably not, but his pandering caused him to say it, and now he is paying the price for it.

The majority of America rejects the far right wing of the republican party and yet their presidential candidate must appeal to them. The problem is Mr. Romney had to turn hard to the right to convince the party leadership that he is really one of them and that is not who he is. He tries to appease the Grover Nordquist crowd and ends up saying stupid things.

People are looking for a reason to vote for someone other than the current President, and Mr. Romney can't seal the deal because he has to continually pander to the far right. Mr. Romney's best bet is to move away from the far right and give middle America (many of who don't pay federal income tax) a reason to vote for him.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 11:02 p.m.

I wonder how many people comment on here without actually reading the article. It appears to be a lot. Romney is including seniors citizens who have paid all their life into SS and medicare as part of the 47%. 47% of americans are not freeloaders. That is a lie that the far right loves to perpetuate. The majority of posters on here are able to discern that. 47% are not dependent on government as mamy assert. And democrats are not interested in creating a permanent underclass. That is just ridiculous. Democrats want working class americans to earn enough to lift themselves out of poverty. I have worked since I was 14, and yes I feel entitled to SS and medicare. Why shouldn't I. I pay taxes. Mailed a check to the IRS this year. If not for medicare how I am going to obtain health care when I retire. No private company will insure senior citizens. That is why medicare was created. It is the republicans not democrats that are instigating class warfare. Romney comments are undeniable proof of that. Mitt is on the verge of loosing my vote.

• MFFL ,
    Sept. 19, 2012 9:37 p.m.

The “47%” number is actually wrong. In fact, 49.5% of Americans do not pay taxes according to the Heritage Foundation. Certainly there are those weakest among us that need government assistance. But who gives the government money? The people who pay taxes do. We are close to the threshold where more people need government assistance than those that don’t. This number has spiked from 44% in 2009 to 49.5% now.

Those who really care about the weakest among us should know that the weakest among us are supported by the strong ones. What happens when there aren’t enough strong ones to support the weak? If we all become government dependent then we all become weak.

• prelax Murray, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 8:49 p.m.

So what have we learned by these hand picked quotes? That Presidential candidates make stupid statements at fundraisers.

Will 47 percent affect the election? "bitter clinger" didn't.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 8:49 p.m.

The mean spirited county club candidate.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 19, 2012 8:34 p.m.

Can't believe the insecurity of some people. Jealousy, and envy over Mitt Romney is childish.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 8:11 p.m.

Do people really think Barack Obama IS in touch with the everyday American? Seriously? He just attended a party at Jay Z's where there was a $105,000 display of booze. It was a $40,000 per person event. Don't try to act like Obama is anymore in touch with your needs than Mitt Romney. It's not the case. If I was concerned about someone being 'in touch' I'd go nominate the guy at the gas station to be President.

• DaveRL OGDEN, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 7:46 p.m.

As an Independent who voted for Obama last election, I can truthfully say I have always held a job - my father did not leave me millions. I served my country, never been on welfare nor has any of my family. I have paid my taxes, used government programs for higher education, purchasing a house and sending my son to college...I am not a victim nor do I feel the government owes me anything. But one thing I know for sure Mitt has no sense of what a real working person has to do to provide for their family. And judging from many of the comments neither do many of Mitt's supporters. it is easy to parrot talking points of the radical right, Deep down one has to know most of the GOP points are lies but refusing to acknowledge the obvious makes it hard to find the goodness in one's heart that seems lost to many of the posters. I will pray for your lost sense of responsibility and kindness towards your fellow man.

• Pendergast SLC, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 7:19 p.m.

@ boxerdog915

Its human nature to want something for nothing. Don't make it a generational thing.

There are plenty of people who are shallow, self-absorbed, whiny, incredibly materialistic, and have a pathological need to keep up with the joneses.

Its the rule in 21st century America not the exception. Obama and the progressive/socialist movement are behind the curve IMO says this aggravated & sarcastic Libertarian.

• GK Willington SLC, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 7:10 p.m.

re: the truth 6:47 p.m. Sept. 19, 2012

"The right wants to bring everyone up, not to aspire to middle class."

Its true a rising tide lifts all boats. But, the GOP has no desire to bring everyone up.

The GOP has an Animal Farm Mentality, "All animals are equal... some more than others"

The some being Willard the insincere & his kind.

• Mister J SLC, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 7:01 p.m.

re A1994 11:10 a.m. Sept. 19, 2012

Thanks but no thanks WSJ is owned by News Corp (the parent corp of Fixed Noise). That fact alone screams lack of credibility.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 6:58 p.m.

I'm one of the 47% and I whole heartedly support Romney. I haven't paid income taxes in many years due to my children, other deductions, and income level. I for one am in favor of what Mitt can do for the economy that will increase my wage earning ability and hopefully get me out of the 47%. Also, I'm very much in favor of reforming the tax code and eliminating many of the deductions that I use. I would be in favor of keeping the charitable contribution deduction. As for my home mortgage? I'm in favor of eliminating that.

I'm also in favor of a flat tax with very little or no deductions and everyone pays a percentage of their income. Yes, even the poor. They would pay also. After all 10% of $10,000 is $1,000.00. $100,000.00 is $10,000.00. $1,000,000.00 is $100,000.00. $10,000,000.00 is $1,000,000.00. $100,000,000.00 is $10,000,000.00 and so forth. Under a flat tax, Mitt would be paying quite a lot. But then so would Obama.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 6:57 p.m.

President Obama has so many more aspects to the government, people, economy, diplomacy and a variety of other dealings to answer for and has made mistake after mistake.

The underground recording that was made was made in May 2012, 4 months ago. From the many and multiple debates with this type of topic, what he believes about people, has already been discussed in view of millions of people. This is not even a hot mic episode, where a candidate knows the potential for an off channel comment, one way or another. In this situation, it was a private or invited guests situation where a person can make comments that may have been altered or modified due to the time lapse and that recordings were not expected to be taking place.

Mitt Romney has made over the past 4 months, in speeches, meet and greet situations, and discussions with advisors. H has led by example and has treated people fairly. As a business person, he knows there are tough decisions to be made. Obama hasn't made any real decisions since Obamacare which he forced on Congress and leaders.

Since President Obama won't handle the economy, Mitt will, in January.

• the truth Holladay, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 6:47 p.m.

@Ying Fah

The communist leader you are talking about is Obama and his sycophant followers and the liberal media doing all the to help tObama (google story of reporters caught on audio talking about how they working together to attack romney, see democrat weighted polls).

Why should we aspire to to have a large middle class,. I believe we should want as many possible to do better than that.

IT is left that wants a large group of poor and middle class, dependent on them for everything,

to create a foundation of sustaining power for themselves. IT is the elite left seeking power.

All of Romney recent statements are true and factual and appropriate , and there is and was nothing wrong about them.

it only the left that has problem with them because they are trying to tear Romney down.

The right wants to bring everyone up, not to aspire to middle class.

• Mugabe ACWORTH, GA
    Sept. 19, 2012 6:39 p.m.

To O'Really: How do you know what people in this country are doing on a daily basis? How can you gage how many people sit at home and "play video games." I will be so happy when this Presidential election is over because it has bought the worst in the People. Romney is only expressing what has been the sentiments of most people in his circle. It isn't new news. Experience has shown that those who think like Romney has been wrong before. And I am sure that when they discovered they were wrong, they found some good reason why they said what they said, just like Romney. So, stop the bickering people. I am amazed at some of the derogatory comments coming from Men and Women who should know better.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 6:39 p.m.

To SoCalUte 4:57 p.m. Sept. 19, 2012

@LDS Liberal
    Mitt was not born when is dad was Governer. He was born long before that and yes at the time he was born they were low income

That's not accurate. Willard is the youngest of George Romney's children, and was born when his father was a well-paid auto industry executive. Willard's life has never been anything but affluent.

• Getting it Right Sunnyvale, CA
    Sept. 19, 2012 5:37 p.m.

What have Obama done to our country in the last three in a half years? What I've heard from Obama supporters and surrogates specially Biden is that "Bin Laden is dead" and that "GMC is alive". If that is what Obama done to this country in the last three and a half years, then that is not good enough. And don't tell me it about Obamacare. I'm middle class and when he gets another term, I will no longer be middle class but poor.

• boxerdog915 Clearfield, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 5:20 p.m.

Hmmmm...I think all one has to do is look around at the younger generation and know they want everyone handed to them. Example: free health care, money but not wanting to work for it, nice cars, cell phones, insurance (last three they expect their parents to pay for). I work with young 20+ year olds everyday on Hill AFB and they have made it very clear...they are entitled to everything and have to do nothing for it. This comment of 47% is not far from the truth, if not the exact truth...

I think it's sad that facts and the truth are hated and pounced on as something bad...

• Ying Fah Provo, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 5:14 p.m.

Why does many Romney defenders here sound so similar to the propaganda spread during the Cultural Revolution in China during the late '60s? Perhaps the strategy works where the people seeking to maintain power choose to avoid any factual information and simply rely upon expressing contempt and ridicule of the opposition. This is the basis of the Dictatorship of the Right comment made earlier. It sounds so familiar. Now half the American electorate is denounced as "worthless parasites" feeding at the expense of the Right-Wing elite, only Mao said it was taking advantage of "the people" while he sought to consolidate the Communist Party elite and remove any and all detractors who threatened his position by killing them off.

Romney, when you get down to basics, wants to help the rich get richer and is willing to destroy the Middle Class to achieve those ends. This is Chairman Mao in a business suit. Bain Capital was his tool for his Great Leap Forward, destroying people to grow his world and profit his comrades. And they work overtime to paint his image in the same manner as was done for Mao: an unrealistic friend of the working class.

• SS MiddleofNowhere, Utah
    Sept. 19, 2012 5:01 p.m.

I guess I should clarify myself, although the people who know more about me than I do probably won't even read this clarifying statement. When I said that I know a lot of people who live off of welfare and don't get jobs because they make more off of unemployment, 90% of the people I was referring to are people that I know from California, not a Republican state. I lived there for two years. But, leave it to Democrats to know everything.

• SoCalUte Trabuco Canyon, CA
    Sept. 19, 2012 4:57 p.m.

@LDS Liberal

• Getting it Right Sunnyvale, CA
    Sept. 19, 2012 4:44 p.m.

Enough of all this unimportant things. It is still about the economy...! If the economy is strong, everyone, the country as a whole or at least the majority of the people will be better off. This country is going down and we are talking about pandering to groups of people. It should all be about for the benefit of the whole country.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 19, 2012 4:17 p.m.

Does Obama connect with the American people?

If he did, he wouldn't spend hundreds of millions of our dollatrs for vacations, nor waste hundreds of millions on Solyndra, then give billions to other countries.

Who gave any president the right to take our money for vacations? It's stealing, plain and simple, and Obama is a hypocrite. His connecting with people is a farce.

Romney and Obama are not held to the same standard.

• TemplarBlue CENTRAL, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 4:17 p.m.

Oh my gosh. A Presidential candidate telling the truth. What? Are you kidding me? What is this country coming to? He can't tell the truth, he is running for President of the United States of America! He has to lie, and tell the people what they want to hear. He has to promise the moon. He has to promise to cut the deficit in half. He has to promise to end unemployment all together. Vote for him and he will give you money. He will pay your mortgage. Tell the truth? What kind of nonsense is that? Give me a break left wing media!

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 4:09 p.m.

Trabuco Canyon, CA

@ Mattrick78 Why do all liberals think that because a person is wealthy, he is out of touch. While this may be true with people who are born into wealth. Mitt Romney, however was born into a low income family. He built his own wealth from the Bottom Up.
    I would say that a person who can climb from the bottom, to the top is a lot more in touch than you are.
    •3:44 p.m. Sept. 19, 2012

Dude, what planet are you from?
    Are just making this all up, or did someone feed a lie – hook, line and sinker?

Mitt Romney born into a low income family?

You’ve either terribly mixed him up with his good Father George Romney,
    or the current President Obama
    [who both started at the bottom and had to work their ways to the top] !

FYI – Mitt thinks that those making $250K a year are middle income.
    The truth is $50K is middle income, and YES – he is out of touch.

• Pac_Man Pittsburgh, PA
    Sept. 19, 2012 4:07 p.m.

Romney isn't out of touch because he is wealthy. He is out of touch because he fails to realize that just because you don't pay taxes doesn't mean that you feel you are entitled government services. His generalization was based on ignorance.

• DRay Roy, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 4:00 p.m.

I have said they same thing Romney said and heard others comment the same, that all those who are on welfare or are ok with being dependent on the government assistance will of course vote Democratic, as they are concerned only for keeping their entitlements.
    ...the Dems are about style I guess, not substance, as they are always attacking Conservatives due not so much to the substance of what they say, but that their style of saying it is all wrong...Pres. O. does well on the talk shows, he's a great entertainer, let's let him go do that, what I want out of the next election is a great President, and I'm okay if he's not a great entertainer, just that he get the job done. Go vote for Mitt if you want to save America.

• oldrunner Ogden, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 4:00 p.m.

Mr. Romney and his Tea Party have declared class war on over half of the American population. They think that those of us on Social Security, Medicare, or who are of the working poor to lower middle class, or those with large families, should pay more in taxes, so that the rich "Job Creators" (see China) can stimmulate a robust ecconomy, like they did in the Bush administration. Does he really believe this, or is he just saying what his handlers are telling him to say. Either way it is quite concerning to voters able to think through the problems facing our nation.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 3:49 p.m.

MapleDon: "Oh, and just a reminder that I don't get the real news from you."

That's obvious, your post shows everyone that your news comes from (non) entertainers like: sean, rush, glenn etc...
    part of the difference between thinking people David Letterman is NOT a news interviewer, he's an entertainer.

Jared said: "In any case, as has been made clear, Romney's 47% comment was taken out of context because right after it, 1-2 minutes of video are missing (either due to the error of the person capturing it or through selective editing of people trying to paint Romney in the worst possible light)."

What you think he apologized after he said that, or he got to the punch line?
    Because he's not denying what he said, or saying it was "taken out of context" but his apologists like yourself are, which would indicate you disagree with his comment or at least see the trouble in his statement, there is hope for you.

• SoCalUte Trabuco Canyon, CA
    Sept. 19, 2012 3:44 p.m.

@ Ying Fah Typical Liberal splatter. Neither Romney nor anyone from his camp has laid out a plan that says we are going to reduce taxes on the wealthy and increase taxes on the middle class. Learn to deal with truth rather than hype.

• mattrick78 Cedar City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 3:26 p.m.

"Romney has exposed the truth about dependency."

He hasn't exposed anything. He just took overused political drivel and made a generalization.

• Wonder Provo, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 3:09 p.m.

@Jared -- Why don't you think Romney was talking about you? Who do you think he WAS talking about? Why was he talking about them and not you? Why are you so special that you get a pass on being a freeloader but other people don't? What makes them have so much less value to society than you?

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Sept. 19, 2012 2:51 p.m.

Romney has exposed the truth about dependency. With the dependent group expanding 30% under Obama, it is clear this is the change we weren't asking for.

How a politician is planning to get votes is nothing compared to how a president allows guns to walk and Ambassadors to be killed.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Sept. 19, 2012 2:50 p.m.

Those on the right wing of the Republican Party have been quoting this statistic for years. As the article points out it really isn't fair to include seniors, veterans, and others who have paid their dues and earned a benefit. I think what is happening here is that Romney is telling a group of potential donors what they want to hear. If he doesn't back off this statement its really going to hurt him. The tricky part is doing that in a way that doesn't alienate the powerful donors he was trying to impress. Stay tuned.

• MapleDon Springville, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 2:41 p.m.

DesNews, thanks from the Obama camp for helping them by steering the American public's focus away from the Administration's foreign affairs disaster. Keep it going. As you've been told, keep harping on Romney's comments and don't report anything regarding the Middle East attacks on U.S. personnel and embassies, the economy being in the toilet, Fast and Furious, Israel vs Iran, etc.

Oh, and just a reminder that I don't get the real news from you.

• merich39 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 2:36 p.m.

The polls that came out this week were taken before the news broke about this secretly recorded meeting. It will be very interesting to see if the polls change in the next week or two due to this uproar. My gut feel is that Mitt is going to lose at least a couple of percentage points. He insulted so many people either directly or indirectly that I can't imagine he won't have caused many of the undecideds to vote against him. He already had a reputation as a cold, represents only the wealthy, candidate. This video certainly reinforces that image of Mitt.

• mattrick78 Cedar City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 2:32 p.m.

"Why doesn't Obama get as much criticism for the dumb things he says?"

What makes you think he doesn't get criticized?

• Salsa Libre Provo, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 2:32 p.m.

O'really Idaho Falls, ID

"How can he go on Letterman and talk about brewing beer in the White House?"

Really? Is this your complaint? Do you ever watch Letterman? Or do you just object to homebrewing?

Why don't you complain about Romney hosting a fundraiser where wine is served? Perhaps because it's not important.

• mattrick78 Cedar City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 2:31 p.m.

My problem with Romney is not that he rich and out of touch, its that he says stupid "inelegant" stuff that when president can have huge implications not only domestically but on the world stage.

• Mad Hatter Provo, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 2:26 p.m.

Mountanman Hayden, ID

People vote against their economic interests all the time. For many, social issues trump economic issues. Republicans have tapped into this descrepancy and taken advantage to their benefit. Why do you thing anti-abortion initiatives always appear on the ballot during presidential elections? It's the great con game!

SS MiddleofNowhere, Utah

Yes! He is.

SoCalUte Trabuco Canyon, CA

"The sky is falling!" -- Chicken Little

Mountanman Hayden, ID

. . . and the moon is made out of green cheese.

O'really Idaho Falls, ID

And this about a guy who literally "bought" the Republican nomination. A fellow nobody wanted.

Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT

Like Rick Santorum said, there is no place in the Republican Party for intelligent people. Poor Bill Buckley. What has happened to his Republican Party?

TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT

So you blame Obama for 2008 and the economic meltdown? Perhaps some investigative reading is in order.

• Jared Average, SE
    Sept. 19, 2012 2:24 p.m.

Re: Wildcat: "Even the year he released his returns, he paid 14%--considerably less than most working folks" - this is simply not true. At a 14% income tax rate Mitt Romney pays a higher effective rate than nearly 80% of taxpayers (and that's if you include payroll taxes). He pays way more than I pay since last year my effective rate was -40% (yes, that's a negative) due to limited income and various credits. Of course, that means I'm one of the "47%" but I'm voting for Mitt Romney.

• O'really Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 19, 2012 2:18 p.m.

Some of you just don't get the message. Two things I fault Romney with are 1) a clutzy remark made too flippantly before a group of wealthy donators to his campaign. He should have been more careful about what he said. But obviously those in the room- a private meeting by the way, were smart enough to pick up on the of the message. And 2) the inability to recognize that so many Americans are going to literalize everything he says and that he really should have clarified his statement when he had the chance because those with thin skin are going to take it all personally. I think he believes Americans are more intelligent than they really appear to be.

Honestly people- give Romney some credit for having compassion.It's not humanly possible to not screw up your words now and then. Why doesn't Obama get as much criticism for the dumb things he says? How can he go on Letterman and talk about brewing beer in the White House? Why wasn't he talking foreign policy with Israel instead? Because he cares more about his hip image than he does about national security.

• JP71 Ogden, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 2:13 p.m.

I feel like my team just lost the Super Bowl and I'm already looking to next season.

• Ying Fah Provo, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 2:10 p.m.

The Dictatorship Of The Right

In recent days we have see Mitt Romney speak with distain about half the population living as sponges on the rest of society. He claims that they are "dependent" upon the government when he is really saying that these people (and the Middle Class, for that matter) should serve the needs of the wealthy. He proposes reducing the taxes of millionaires while increasing the taxes of the Middle Class. He suggests that the needs and the wants of the wealthy be satisfied and he is the man to make this happen while at the same time refusing to tell voters what he plans to do if elected president.

This is all a secret plot to establish an oligarchy (much as the system our ancestors left behind in Europe in the building of this country) so that those who have achieved riches can keep and maintain their position and not be bothered by competition by others hoping to improve their lives and thus reduce the control by those already wealthy. Also, by changing tax laws to favor the wealthy, he hopes to re-establish the old "entitlment class" and protect its survival for future generations.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 1:45 p.m.

It is very probable if not likely that eight of the last ten years that Mitt was one of these citizens who didn't pay Federal Income Tax--why else do you think he's not releasing his Tax Returns. I guess that makes Mitt a taker and moocher. He's saying he refuses to take responsibility for himself.

Even the year he released his returns, he paid 14%--considerably less than most working folks. Those are the priorities of the GOP! They don't value hard work, they value the ultra-wealthy.

Enjoy 40-60 more days of the Romney Reader, a.k.a. Deseret News!

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 1:36 p.m.

100% agree with everything Mitt said.

• mattrick78 Cedar City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 1:23 p.m.

I pay taxes and will be voting for Obama. So much for Romney's 47% theory.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 1:14 p.m.

"Any intelligent person with an ounce of forgiveness in their hearts recognizes this as a bit of a clumsy, unscripted generalization for use in figuring out campaign strategy."

Except for the fact that he said that he stood by his remarks. I'm not looking for merely a more tasteful way to call half of American lazy slackers looking for handouts and can't possibly be taught personal responsibility. Especially when the fact is that of the 47% who don't pay income taxes, many are seniors, and most make low incomes, and southern states have the highest rates of it so they're definitely not Obama voters (analysis suggests that at best they can be classified as low income voters which are only 60-40 for Obama... hardly a demographic that Romney can't get any support from).

• MormonDem Provo, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 1:09 p.m.

The 47% of Americans who Mitt has written off include:
    --retirees who no longer have income to pay income tax on
    --students who are not yet in the workforce
    --vets receiving benefits
    --those with disabilities
    --the working poor, who still pay payroll taxes but who don't make enough money to pay income tax

Romney says that those same 47% of Americans are also all Obama supporters, who he will never win over and won't have to worry about.

As others have pointed out, the numbers are bogus. Many of the 47% are Republicans, and poor red states as a whole draw much more from the federal government than their citizens pay in in federal income taxes.

But I'm happy to prove Mitt right: all you retirees, students, disabled citizens, and working poor, even if you're Republican, Mitt has said he doesn't care about you. So why don't you come on over to our side?

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 1:07 p.m.

Mesa, AZ
    We are fast approaching the tipping point where those who don't pay taxes will be able to vote a tax increase on those who do pay taxes. It's too bad that so many can't see that, or not smart enough to realize it.....until it's too late.

12:47 p.m. Sept. 19, 2012

When the 1% owns 80% of everything, they SHOULD be paying 80% of the taxes.
    That should be a no-brainer.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 1:05 p.m.

LDS LIBERAL....."Low-Life" was not a phrase ever used by Romney, are you related to Harry Reid?

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 12:57 p.m.

Mitt's Mother and Father must be rolling over in their graves.

Mitt's Mother Lonore Romney went on Television back in 1962 and was asked to respond to people who said that since George Romney is a man of considerable means, he does not care about people.

“He was on welfare relief for the first years of his life. But this great country gave him opportunities,” Lenore Romney says.

George Romney was born to American parents in living in Mexico. His family fled to the United States from their Mormon colony when he was a child during the Mexican revolution. His family benefited from a refugee fund established by Congress. (Lenore Romney calls him “a refugee from Mexico” in the interview.)

His Father therefor, was no doubt part of that low-life 47% her son was referring to....

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Sept. 19, 2012 12:52 p.m.

Can anyone imagine Barack Obama trying to save the SLC Olympics? Would have been a disaster like everything else he gets involved in. The stock market starting to look a little shaky to you? Good luck to all of us. Those who have been in Congress for the past 30 or 40 years have had this happen on their "watch" (Democrat and Republican alike). Hope they are proud of what they've produced for us. And this while they've voted themselves pay raises and cushy pensions and exempted themselves from the health care plans that the "dumb masses" have. Yes, go ahead and vote for the incumbent - let's get the economic and social catastrophe started now! Why wait???

• Daleycall Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 19, 2012 12:47 p.m.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 12:38 p.m.

O'really said: "You do realize this is media spin don't you."

No it was his own words, I watched the whole video, they didn't even have to take it out of context like the republicans did with "you didn't build that."

"He admitted his point was ineligantly stated. Any intelligent person with an ounce of forgiveness in their hearts recognizes this as a bit of a clumsy, unscripted generalization for use in figuring out campaign strategy.

No forgiveness is needed because he was right according to you and many right wing posters.

"It was NOT meant to be an insult to the poor as liberal media and the likes of you are trying to paint it."
    I know what I heard, no need for any spin.

It was NOT meant to be heard by those who couldn't afford the $50,000 a plate dinner.
    Any intelligent person recognizes Mit got caught! It was NOT a bit of a clumsy, unscripted generalization for use in figuring out campaign strategy. He got caught being exactly who he is.
    Disconnected, arrogant, naive.

• Wonder Provo, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 12:29 p.m.

O'really -- But O'really, I would be willing to bet that these mooching friends of yours are voting for Romney. Am I right? And seriously, if someone is on welfare they make more than a blue collar worker? I think that is a myth, but since you seem to have a lot of friends in that category, perhaps you know more than I do. I am complaining about what Romney said, but I don't need to get off my duff and get a job. I'm one of the "job creators" that Republicans love. I also happen to be voting for Obama, because I don't want to go back to the failed Bush policies that caused this economic nightmare and I don't want to go back to the failed Bush policies that got us into the war in Iraq.

• middle class Cedar City, 00
    Sept. 19, 2012 12:13 p.m.

I doubt that you know Mitt. His words reflect what is in his heart. His actions do, too:

Mitt has a huge ego and thirst for power. The Olympics were all his. He stated such during his tenure as chairman of it. Then came his Governorship. Again, a power job that he thrived on. And now this candidacy is the same...he will say anything to get elected. Because it's all about ego and power. It isn't about principle.

What is about principle is what the Savior (Matt:5-7) and King Benjamin taught.

If he were making principle his foundation for his candidacy, he wouldn't have said what he did. He cares nothing for others, whether they be the 47% or us in the 53%. He only wants power and prestige.

Someday he'll answer for his true attitude and what's in his heart.

• O'really Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 19, 2012 12:03 p.m.

@ Hutterite

You do realize this is media spin don't you. He admitted his point was ineligantly stated. Any intelligent person with an ounce of forgiveness in their hearts recognizes this as a bit of a clumsy, unscripted generalization for use in figuring out campaign strategy. It was NOT meant to be an insult to the poor as liberal media and the likes of you are trying to paint it.

But his point was something to seriously consider. Too many in this country are living off the dole. There are many who refuse to work the available blue collar jobs because they won't make enough to keep up with their "lifestyle". So they sit at home playing video games, being rude, demanding and abusive to their wives and children and spending their money on booze. I know these people personally. It makes me sick to watch it!

Romney never said every one of those 47% were lazy abusive scumbags. Obviously he didn't mean that. I'm suspicious though, that the ones who are complaining the most about his statement are the ones who most need to get off their duffs and get a job.

• Glen in the Bronx Bronx, NY
    Sept. 19, 2012 12:03 p.m.

I am a Democrat and I am completely willing to talk about spending cuts. But how can we speak about spending cuts when the other side says that the Bush tax cuts are sacrosanct and the tax breaks for plutocrats must remain in place and any savings must come from spending cuts. Which is even more galling when these are the same folks that ran up a fair chunk of the $16T debt in the first place with the two wars that were not paid for, the expansion of Medicare Part D, and an assortment of other social programs brought in between 2001-2009 *none* of which were paid for.

• Joan Watson TWIN FALLS, ID
    Sept. 19, 2012 11:55 a.m.

its true - too many feel and believe its the governments role to take care of them from cradle to the grave. Or do state and government welfare statistics show otherwise?

• mamiejane Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 11:53 a.m.

One of the reasons people pay fewer taxes is because of the expansion of the child deduction which occurred under both Democratic and Republican presidents. The credit was advocated by Republicans as a way to support traditional families. In Mitt's world, a large family getting by with Mom at home and Dad working for middle of the road wages is a drain on society. I am so disappointed at Romney's failure to think through the consequences of his words.

• O'really Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 19, 2012 11:48 a.m.

@ middle class-

Sorry for those in your life who have had unfortunate circumstances. But aren't you being a little judgmental of Romney's family yourself? Romney DID say that we help those in need. Try to look at his words and what he was really saying and who he was saying it to. Interpretation: I don't care about the 47% MEANS I know I'm probably not going to get their vote and I can't waste my time campaigning where it's not going to do any good.

Of course he cares and has heart and love for people from every background! He cares deeply enough to put himself in the line of public scrutiny, to face all kinds of personal attacks, to say he won't take any salary as President, to have his beloved beliefs splayed and mocked, to have his family life put in a pressure cooker- all so that he can try to help this country change directions.

It means tough love for those who are schmoozing the government, making it harder for them to abuse the generosity of the govt. Those who really deserve govt help will still get it.

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 11:45 a.m.

Shhh. How dare you point out to our friend from Idaho that laundry list of facts. I can't believe you'd dare mention that his beloved Idaho is in the top ten for non-tax-paying citizens.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 11:39 a.m.

"Do you really think people who pay no federal income taxes will vote for Romney?"

The Tax Foundation lists Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Georgia, South Carolina, Idaho and Texas all are in the top 10 for percentage of people who pay no income tax. Obama got crushed in just about all of them, beyond just merely losing. If 47% don't pay income tax then that means these states have rates above 47% of not paying income tax.

Here's some categories of people that tend to end up paying 0 federal income taxes:
    1. seniors
    2. people who work but make under 20k a year
    3. young families with children who make less than 50k a year (so it's the Republican policy of tax credits and tax cuts that leads these people to not pay income taxes).
    4. the unemployed due to the economy

Only two states in the top 10 for people not paying income taxes voted for Obama in 08, those states were New Mexico (4th most not paying income taxes), and Florida (9th).

10 states with the lowest percentages? Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, North Dakota, Minnesota, Virginia, Maryland, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire. Obama won 7.

• Wonder Provo, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 11:36 a.m.

Like I've said before, it is hilarious to me that no low income Republican (and I know there are lots of you) thinks HE is one of the people Romney is referring to as a moocher. I wonder why? Who are these horrible people who are mooching off the government if they are not you?

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 11:19 a.m.

@ SS
    "You have to be absolutely ignorant to think that when Romney referred to the 47% he was talking about people who LEGITIMATELY NEED government assistance. "

If he was only referring to people who abuse the system... he wouldn't use the number 47% in association with the percentage of people he thinks are just looking for dependency, people he can never convince to be personally responsible.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 11:15 a.m.

Mitt's squirming a little on this one. And the defense of "I know I am, but what are you?" isn't working well.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Sept. 19, 2012 11:13 a.m.

@ atl. Do you really think people who pay no federal income taxes will vote for Romney? Really? So much for your accusations!

• AggieScientist Logan, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 11:12 a.m.

FDRFan asked the question: "How many Utah families pay no income taxes?"

Utah ranks 10th amongst states in the lowest percentage of income tax payers (per the Tax Foundation).

According to Romney, it appears that those in Utah (more so than those in 40 other states) are "dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them...These are people who pay no income tax."

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 11:10 a.m.

I encourage everyone to got to the Wall Street Journal opinion page to read Romney's draft remarks on the subject. As WSJ says, it's curious why he didn't just use these remarks, but it gives a good idea of where Romney really is on the issue.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 11:05 a.m.

If the 47% were such reliably Democratic voters then how come Obama only won 1 of the 10 states (Florida) with the highest rates of people not paying income taxes? I know you have a nice little narrative you want to sell, but it's full of lies.

• Wonder Provo, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 11:04 a.m.

@ SS -- and I bet those people you know who are in the middle of Utah and are on welfare, etc. are 99% Republican and won't be voting for Obama. Mitt is dissing his own base.

• SS MiddleofNowhere, Utah
    Sept. 19, 2012 10:42 a.m.

You have to be absolutely ignorant to think that when Romney referred to the 47% he was talking about people who LEGITIMATELY NEED government assistance. He isn't stupid, he understands that those people can't survive without it. He didn't say,"lets cut all government funded programs." Although that's what everybody's over dramatic reactions make it seem like.

There are so many people who take advantage of the welfare system that it is a joke. I know lots of people who are either on welfare and don't even try to work, or who are on unemployment and refuse to work because it gives them more than if they actually would work. Its absolutely ridiculous. The percentile of people not paying income tax could drop to 30 % if people would not have the ability to buy their Air Jordans and booze with government money. People have lost the ability to budget and be productive because they have been crippled by government handouts.

• Itsme2 SLC, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 10:33 a.m.

Hey FDR, can you publicly accept some cuts to spending? Or is it only important to raise taxes?

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 10:26 a.m.

"It's Obama's policies who have increased the food stamp recipients from the thirty percentile to the [forty nine percentile..."

Funny, I thought it was a housing crashing, joblessness and recession that caused those !

Democrats beclown themselves when they try to excuse Obama and his policies that in four years have created exactly what he intended to do! Create a sub class of supporters who are dependent on him forever.....take from the makers and give to the fakers! Sure there are some who need help, but I doubt that 47 % of all Americans fall into that category without finding some lazy occupy wall street types like Fluke and Obama himself!

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Sept. 19, 2012 10:24 a.m.

@ SoCalUte. Its already too late! Bread will be $10.00/loaf and gasoline will be around $8.00/gal before the end of Obama’s next term! But it will STILL be Bush’s fault, somehow! Got your food storage? You are going to need it!

• SoCalUte Trabuco Canyon, CA
    Sept. 19, 2012 10:10 a.m.

Wow, I am totally amazed at how many people are upset and offended by the truth.
    Just two days ago, I saw on the news where they were talking with 25 to 30 year old men and women. Two of the people said, "This is my body and I need to take care of it, I need to stay healthy. I therefore am voting for Obama care."
    What they are really saying is, "I need to take care of myself, I just need someone else to pay for it." This is exactly what Romney is talking about.
    There are absolutely way too many people who feel like the government needs to take care of them.
    I say Wake Up America!! Before it's too late!!

• Conner Johnson
    Sept. 19, 2012 10:09 a.m.

Romney says one thing to the cameras, and has another view that he shares with the big spenders on his campaign. Still can't believe this guy thinks he can win.

"And so my job is not to worry about those people."
    -Mitt Romney referring to the 47%

• middle class Cedar City, 00
    Sept. 19, 2012 10:01 a.m.

I have a child in graduate school. She is living independently on loans. She will pay no inclome tax.

I have a brother who has schizophrenia and lives in subsidized housing and on State welfare. he will pay no income tax.

My mother is 84 and retired on Social Security. She will pay no income tax.

I have an adult daughter who is a waitress. She makes about $15,000 a year. She pays no income tax.

To Mr. Romney, these are victims who have no ambition. They are leaches.

Mr. Romney was born into wealth, as have been his children. I don't know nor care to know how they live their lives.

But he has no heart nor love of America to label the unfortunate people in our society who are either disabled or working hard to make it. Does he only care for those that never faced hardship, never served their country and are wealthy?

• UtahCentrist Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 10:00 a.m.

"It's Obama's policies who have increased the food stamp recipients from the thirty percentile tomthe [sic] forty nine percentile..."

Funny, I thought it was a housing crashing, joblessness and recession that caused those things...

• O'really Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 19, 2012 9:42 a.m.

@DVD I agree. No that doesn't describe a strong nation. But to simply hand out money to the poor doesn't make us a strong nation either. What makes us a stong nation is to create opportunities for everyone possible to work and contribute- to feel needed and thus increase productivity. To say that Romney is blind to the poor is absurd. Of course he is aware of the poor. A person doesn't have to live every lifestyle to know that it exists. Isn't that asking a little too much of any presidential candidate to expect them to have lived in poverty at some point in their lives? When has that ever been a requirement? Did we ask that of Clinton, Carter or Kennedy?

Romney said in a speech yesterday "We are a compassionate, caring people. We all believe that people in distress need help, and we give them help to pull themselves back up. But we don’t believe in redistribution" .

I believe that Obama is so desperate to win that he will do anything to get a vote like hob-nobbing with Hollywood when he should be paying attention to real world crisis.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 9:40 a.m.

Semantics aside: This is not about legitimate government services or a safety net; it is rather obvious that Obama wishes to create a dependent class who bitterly clings to the democratic party for their sustenance - conveniently buying their votes with the money taken from people who are not dependent (or who do not wish to remain dependent)

Obama's fantasy girl "Julia"; is the consummate incompetent leech who should not be idolized

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 9:29 a.m.

Democrats are ashamed to be the "food stamp party"... The truth hurts! It's Obama's policies who have increased the food stamp recipients from the thirty percentile tomthe forty nine percentile...........a vote for Obama is a vote for more food stamps

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Sept. 19, 2012 9:19 a.m.

Romney is absolutely correct! The Democrats have succeeded in producing a subclass of dependency in America. The 47% and growing that will vote to keep the Democrats in power so they can keep their “free” stuff flowing. It won’t work forever though as we can see by the explosion of the national debt and by the government printing ever more devaluated money. The consequences are horrible however as there really is no such thing as a free lunch. We are now facing double digit inflation, credit downgrades and default! Thanks Democrats you are harming most those whom you claim you are helping!

• DVD Taylorsville, 00
    Sept. 19, 2012 9:16 a.m.

I don't think Governor Romney is as rabidly anti-tax, anti-poor as the Obama campaign would like us to think, but I do think that his status in life can contribute to blindness to most of our worries and pain. A nation of desperately poor people presided over by the blindingly wealthy isn't a strong nation, and lacks in the concepts of mercy or even the pursuit of happiness for all.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    Sept. 19, 2012 9:11 a.m.

How many Utah families pay no income taxes? Should we eliminate deductions for children and interest on homes? Should not everyone pay a little something? Too many Republicans see only the lowering of their taxes as important. Get real. This election is a serious deal. Until the Republican publicly accept some increase in tax revenues from those who can afford it most, I cannot support them.