Scott Howell, Sen. Orrin Hatch in war of words over age

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    Sept. 23, 2012 1:35 p.m.

Orrin is slow to remember things, has a problem with the truth if the facts do not advance his cause and has not made enough of a difference to separate himself between those he serves with who are not bound by a higher law.

He will continue to achieve mediocrity because he refuses to be bigger than his party.

Orrin has some good ideas about balancing the budget, too bad he has yet to learn line upon line as if he was able to lessen the debt load it would be some relief but his all or nothing attitude has seen him beating the balanced budget drum for more than 10 years and what is a good idea will be avoided as Orrin is seen as a person unable or unwilling to work with others.

He has become a law unto himself, anything he does is just fine, according to him. Sad to say when men gain a little power or authority...

Orrin is no different.

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    Sept. 23, 2012 9:06 a.m.

I don't know anything about Howell and I would not vote for Hatch so it seems I need to study up on Howell and find out why he is so adamant about Hatch not being reelected. He needs to spend time letting us know more about him, and why he would like to be elected. Hatch has many years in politics of which I don't think is good and I believe it is time for him to retire instead of bleeding the system for his own gain, so if I was Howell, I would find something good and interesting to debate and quit wasting time with Hatch. It doesn't create a positive picture of Howell whining about some older political man. Give us some info about yourself and hopefully people will have a desire to look into your background and learn more about you.

• Red Smith American Fork, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 6:26 p.m.

Yes. Orrin is old. Howell is old, too. So what. If Orrin passes in office, then another Republican will be appointed. Utah is not Democratic at any age. GO OLD ORRIN. YOU CAN BEAT THAT YOUNG MAN.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 20, 2012 11:05 a.m.

Re: DRay Roy, UT
    "Therefore it doesn't seem wrong for comparing his age to that of ldrshp in his church..."

Works for me. The Quorum of The Twelve and President of the LDS Church serve until they die.

• Coachbulldog Midvale, UT
    Sept. 20, 2012 9:08 a.m.

I was leaning toward voting for Howell but no more. His comments were totally out of line with what I expect from a United States Senator.

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    Sept. 20, 2012 9:03 a.m.

I was going to vote for him but I'm not so sure now. Seems like a pretty low swing.

• Ross Madison, AL
    Sept. 20, 2012 7:53 a.m.

Howell is being divisive by age baiting, of course he probably has little to contribute anyway.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 6:50 p.m.

If you knew Orrin Hatch like I know Orrin Hatch, you would know why he's running for another term. Personally, I can't comment on why but he has alluded to it from time to time. Because what I know is frankly none of your business, and if he knew that I knew it, he'd most likely be put out by it. Just suffice it to say, it isn't about ego. It's about service.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 5:57 p.m.

Daniel Inouye is still perking along just fine. I saw him in DC last summer and he was walking with what I would call vigor. And he's a WWII veteran.

Howell is just plain dumb to bring this issue up. Hansen's characterization of the LDS General Authorities is actually a fine one. L. Tom Perry is 90 and working just fine. Nelson is in his mid 80's and he's just fine. Oaks, Packer, Monson, Ballard, Scott, Hales are all over 80, and Eyring is 79 and I'm sure they would disagree with Howell.

A couple of notable exceptions from last conference. H. David Burton was 73 when he got released as Presiding Bishop and his councilor Richard C. Edgley was 76 when he got released. So Scott, it doesn't always work.

• DRay Roy, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 4:19 p.m.

Sen. Hatch has often pointed out his membership in the lds church as a selling point for folks to vote for him, at least as a lifelong Utah resident, this has been my impression. Therefore it doesn't seem wrong for comparing his age to that of ldrshp in his church...
    ...I believe in term limits, and that much of the abuse of power in Government would go away if terms were limited so a Senator's job would not become a lifetime vocation.

• RandyR Hesperia, CA
    Sept. 19, 2012 2:16 p.m.

I guess most LDS who are Democrats just "check their religion at the door".

• Great Horned Owl Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 1:00 p.m.

I'm happy to see Howell get attention. His retorts to Hatch's responses are well-informed and spot-on. It might not be politic to attack Hatch on his age -- as it's true that many people are still quite healthy at that age -- but anybody who has met with Hatch recently (I have) knows that the people of Utah would be better off if he'd retire and spend time with his grandkids as he promised 6 years ago. His memory is fuzzy and his comprehension of new data is slow. He hasn't championed anything with passion in the past 20 years except the Patriot Act, more war, and heavy handed punishments for flag burning. You might support some or all of that, but I find it disturbing and against our Founding Principles. I would have voted for Hatch 36 years ago when he campaigned on Liberty and State's rights. I *have* voted for Hatch in the last decade and I won't do it again.

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 12:15 p.m.

Do Howell's comments show desparation? Maybe so. OK, probably so.

However, to be fair, does spending $8 million plus just to win a primary election for a job that pays less than a quarter million a year not also show desparation?

• TwoBitsWorth Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 11:28 a.m.

I am 85 years old, in good health, and still operating a small business.

I resent Mr. Howell's insinuation that "old" age is a detriment.

I think most people value wisdom and experience above youth and exuberance.

Also, finding fault with your competitor is a low class approach to competition. Mr. Howell would do well to emphasize "his" qualifications for the office he seeks and avoid his childish assaults on Mr. Hatch's age.

• What in Tucket? Provo, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 11:27 a.m.

Any way you slice it our country is in dire straits. Another Democrat in Congress makes it that much worse just more spending. We are headed for catastrophe and a lot of people are only interested in their food stamps or welfare checks. Hatch may not be perfect, but his voting record is still pretty conservative. If he drops out I would rather have a Republican governor name his replacement.

• procuradorfiscal Tooele, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 8:53 a.m.

Nothing Howell says or dies will give him the slightest chance of defeating Hatch, so you'd think he would want to maintain a little credibility, decorum, and decency during his losing bid.

But, I guess that's just asking too much of a politician.

• 1Observer Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 6:41 a.m.

Age isn't a factor. Competency is. When you lack the latter you must attack the former. Senator Hatch has my vote.

• sg newhall, CA
    Sept. 19, 2012 1:06 a.m.

We do not elect public officials for life. Sorry, but you could have fooled me. Hatch is begging for one more term...his last. Sounds like an old man who just can't let go of his ego. He has served Utah well...not all 36 years but well enough. He has become a wealthy man and made many of his staffers rich as well. His being in Congress means nothing and won't change the performance of perhaps the worst Congress in modern history. In fact, I would have to say that he is part of the problem. This country needs to re-examine tenure and this idea of elder statesman. We need term limits which equates responsibility and accountability. Arguing for one last term raises the red flag that Hatch will be able to do whatever he wants with no accountability because he won't be running for re-election. This is a guy who has hired individuals who have profited from 36 years of career politicking. Enough. We need new leadership. Unfortunately, he won the Republican primary. But of course, his ego just seems to get in the way.

• Civil Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 18, 2012 10:31 p.m.

Being younger doesn't automatically make one more competent. Try giving a real reason to vote FOR you, Howell.

• DVD Taylorsville, 00
    Sept. 18, 2012 8:58 p.m.

Senator Hatch is advanced in age, but if he's healthy, then it's a non-issue. I think that the primary raised the issue of his age a few times, so this is a rather exceedingly beaten zombie horse.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Sept. 18, 2012 8:27 p.m.

I seemed to detect just a slight mixing of religion and politics in this article.

• Payito American Fork, UT
    Sept. 18, 2012 8:23 p.m.

Howell is using age descrimination which is against the law at any business. At least we now know what kind of person he really is. I would never vote for someone who thinks like this.

• jzwillows willows, ca
    Sept. 18, 2012 6:22 p.m.

Howell sounds desperate. Can't they leave the Church out of this, including the statements that this or that politician who is LDS is a good member of the Church.