Sports

Amy Donaldson: Lindon man sets world triathlon record for charity

Comments

• Ironman CA ,
    Sept. 5, 2012 3:02 p.m.

@Brave Sir Robin

If a person breaks a world record for the most baseball games played in the neighborhood sandlot, in your mind does he rise above the stature of a World Series MVP?

• Ironman SANTA CLARA, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 1:39 p.m.

Is he also setting a world record for the most money spent attempting to set a world record?

This is a very expensive proposition. A single Ironman race can cost $5K or more. Who is paying for this if he is unemployed and training full-time?

Charity work is his main motivation? What a guy.

I am jealous.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Sept. 3, 2012 7:50 p.m.

And the point of my comment is the guy has finished 20 IM's...in 1 year. That's more than you or I have ever done or will ever come close to. I have an amazing amount of respect for this man for simply putting himself through it...regardless of whether he finished in 8 hours or 14 hours or 17 hours, it's still an unbelievable accomplishment and he deserves better than getting bagged on for his times.

• Ironman CA ,
    Sept. 3, 2012 4:22 p.m.

@Brave Sir Robin

I am and I have. Thank you for asking.

Congratulations on your accomplishments. I respect anyone who qualifies for Kona. That was the point of my comment, in case you missed it :)

This article is about a guy who finished 684th at Mont-Tremblant and 678th at St. George, almost six hours behind the winner - in case you missed that, too ;)

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Sept. 3, 2012 3:07 p.m.

@Ironman CA

Actually my standard of excellence is not whether or not I can qualify for IM Kona but how I do when I get there. How have you done in Kona? Are you "talented enough" for a top-10 age group finish on the big island? If not then you haven't achieved my standard of excellence. Best of luck next year.

• Ironman CA ,
    Sept. 3, 2012 1:18 p.m.

The standard for excellence in Ironman Triathlon circles is not how many races you enter each year, but whether you are talented enough to qualify for the Ironman Triathlon World Championships in Kona, Hawaii.

After 20 races this year, Mr. Lawrence has not come close to qualifying for Kona. Best of luck next year.