Faith

Republican National Convention will feature a prayer from a Mormon, New York Times reports

Comments

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    Aug. 23, 2012 1:00 p.m.

Razzle2 wrote:

"I'm just thankful they still pray at the conventions. They are going to need it."

Need it? Praying has never made, and will never make, a lick of difference one way or another. The last thing we need in this country is more religious pretension and hypocritical praying while "standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men"!

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    Aug. 23, 2012 12:50 p.m.

Mormon Imperialism first took over Utah; next the Republican Party; then the United States; and finally, the world.

Fear and tremble if you are "not worthy" in the eyes of Mormons!

• dcbriscoejr Kapolei, HI
    Aug. 23, 2012 5:26 a.m.

It's possible a Mormon has given a prayer at just about every GOP convention and many Democrat ones, as well. This is an important missing element from the story. Also, there's no mention of how many prayers are given at the convention -- one a day or more? -- and what other denominations will be represented?

• Mark from Montana Aurora, CO
    Aug. 22, 2012 10:45 a.m.

Please let it be someone that is moderate, intelligent, and that can understand that not all Republicans are members of the Tea Party.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 22, 2012 8:44 a.m.

What a great opportunity for a person of Governor Romney's faith to pray at the GOP convention. It will give people a view that "Mormon" prayers are no different from other prayers to God thanking Him blessings and kindness and also asking Him for help through difficult times of family, national and international crises. I remember giving a prayer to God with a Prince of Saudia Arabia at my table. People throughout the world pray everyday and multiple times a day and this will be one of those moments. However, it won't be in solitude or with any privacy but will be viewed by millions of people who will see that Mormons pray in a similar way. Mormon prayers could be prayers from people of every religion in the world. It is a soul's sincere desire to have peace and tranquility in one's heart, family and world.

It is such a blessing to have people of faith in the decision process to start such an important event with a prayer to God asking for His help with the hearts of men/women that will be an important message to the world about our country and God.

• Jared Average, SE
    Aug. 22, 2012 7:00 a.m.

bdckpakccd: "I'm just glad they're praying at all."

The U.S. Senate is opened each day with prayer by the Senate Chaplain (currently Barry Black). The same is true about the House of Representatives and the Supreme Court. Many Cabinet meetings also start with prayer. Now, if/when the time comes that those prayers are outlawed, then we really need to worry about our government.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Aug. 22, 2012 5:36 a.m.

As long as the prayer is not offered by a General Authority, I see no problem. If so, I will interpret such involvement with a partisan group as a Church endorsement.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Aug. 21, 2012 10:49 p.m.

"BTW: The Book of Mormon frequently praises the people who were liberal and shared with the poor and the needy."

The Book of Mormon most certainly isn't referring to the modern political liberalism philosophy. If so, most members of the Church and the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve would be liberals. Not even some of the "democrat" apostles are liberal. As for sharing with the needy, I can assure you that the Book of Mormon isn't suggesting we tax people to death to force them to share. We should give, but food stamps isn't how the Church does welfare.

• kargirl Sacramento, CA
    Aug. 21, 2012 10:17 p.m.

My faith informs the rest of my life. That is for me. For the folks meeting in Tampa, or for anyone else, I cannot speak, but I am sure that something informs the rest of their lives.

• kargirl Sacramento, CA
    Aug. 21, 2012 10:12 p.m.

So? When I was inactive I attended a small Baptist church for awhile. The pastor worked fulltime because the congregation was so tiny. Everyone pitched in and cared for the building and grounds. What was collected paid for some of the utilities, etc. Music was provided by talent from the group. And the prayers? Sounded like the ones I heard all my life and still hear. Gee whiz. Amazing. Maybe Christians pray a lot alike, ya think?

• Californian#1@94131 San Francisco, CA
    Aug. 21, 2012 9:53 p.m.

I've been praying for America ever since I knew who the nominees would be.

• sharrona layton, UT
    Aug. 21, 2012 8:44 p.m.

RE: UNLV, People might expect it to be different, but it's not. That's the point.
    The point for Evangelicals is the object of the prayer. Mormons pray to God an exalted man while Christians pray to the Triune God. Christians(Protestants, Catholic, Orthodox) should not pray with Mormons, Jehovah Witnesses….etc.

Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds. (2John 19-11) Gnostics (works righteousness) believed they had advanced beyond the teaching of the Apostles. The Biblical Apostles taught Christ as incarnate God-man. God becomes man not man becomes God.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Aug. 21, 2012 7:07 p.m.

@Allen#2

I can't believe you went there. What does the Book of Mormon have to say about lawyers? I know Harry Reid is a lawyer. The Book of Mormon talks about freely imparting of your riches. Mitt Romney has given MILLIONS to charity. See how this works? I can use the scriptures to bash your guys and build my guys up just as well as you can.

BTW: Unemployment is 8.3%. Mitt Romney is going to be the highest elected official who is a Mormon.

• onewhotries Richmond, VA
    Aug. 21, 2012 6:30 p.m.

Addendum: I forgot to mention that ALL 10 of my children, and the grands that are of college and working age, are educated and are self reliant. In case anyone took offense at my large family. Just a thought.

• Allen#2 WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Aug. 21, 2012 6:28 p.m.

Just remember: Unless Mitt Romney wins the election, Harry Reid will be the highest elected official in the United States who is a Mormon.

• onewhotries Richmond, VA
    Aug. 21, 2012 6:20 p.m.

This shouldn't be a 'big thing'. An opening prayer is an opening prayer and in America, for the most part, people address GOD with or without in the name of...
    You know, I could give that prayer, then all the bases would be covered: I'm a senior citizen, worked all my life, now retired, married, now widowed, have 10 children, 31 grands, 10 greats, a 'tracted out' vs. 'born into' member of the 'Mormon' church for 34 yrs., not running for office, conservative female, and I'm of mixed heritage! Think that covers everything that can be considered 'on the safe side', so no one should be offended.

• earnest reader MENAN, ID
    Aug. 21, 2012 5:44 p.m.

Sherri Dew gave a prayer at the 2004 National Republican Convention.

• California Steve Hanford, CA
    Aug. 21, 2012 5:12 p.m.

President Kimball was asked to pray to open the Senate one day. When very few Senators were present others apologized. President Kimball said, "that's OK. I'm not praying to them."

• NHCougar Somersworth, NH
    Aug. 21, 2012 5:09 p.m.

It should be noted that a Mormon, Thurl Bailey a former professional basketball player and convert to the church, gave the invocation at the opening session of the 2008 Republican National Convention in St. Paul Minn. I'm sure there have been other members of the church who have given prayers at other national political conventions. This is only news now because certain media outlets are making it news.

• MapleDon Springville, UT
    Aug. 21, 2012 4:41 p.m.

Why is this news? Because the radical left thinks it's so. And the glorified bloggers who "work" for the DesNews just repeat whatever the radical left says. It seems all the "reporters" who work for the DesNews do is search the web or write opinion pieces. That isn't news. It's definitely cheap, but it isn't news.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Aug. 21, 2012 4:36 p.m.

patriot said:
    ...and the Democratic convention will feature a Muslim prayer???

That would be refreshing. But there's a war on religion in America being conducted by christians against all other religions

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    Aug. 21, 2012 4:13 p.m.

• bdckpakccd Plano, TX
    Aug. 21, 2012 4:10 p.m.

I'm just glad they're praying at all. Good thing this isn't school, or they would be tied up in court for AGES.

• don17 Temecula, CA
    Aug. 21, 2012 4:00 p.m.

Harry Reid gives the prayer and asks for Bill Clinton to truelly speak his mind at the Democrat Convention where he endorses the Romney Ryan ticket! Which is what he truelly wants to do anyhow!

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Aug. 21, 2012 3:59 p.m.

I was only kidding.

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    Aug. 21, 2012 3:46 p.m.

Gasp!!!!!

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Aug. 21, 2012 3:36 p.m.

Maybe Harry Reid could be the invitee. Extend the proverbial olive leaf. Just a thought.

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Aug. 21, 2012 3:02 p.m.

It's a prayer, not a Mormon prayer, just a prayer. It baffles me how the media will try to stir up controversy over a prayer. It is a prayer people. Just that, only that and nothing else. So if a Mormon speaks, is it new language known as Mormon language? No, it is whatever language they speak. This is ridiculous.

• Uncle Charles Where freedom and liberty reign, utah
    Aug. 21, 2012 2:57 p.m.

This is what the NY Times actually said about the prayer. " On the night Mr. Romney will address the convention, a member of the Mormon Church will deliver the invocation."

The Mormon prayer theme is solely the responsibility of the DNews.

All the DNews had to say is that an LDS individual will say one of the prayers at the convention. Pretty simple.

• UNLV HENDERSON, NV
    Aug. 21, 2012 2:45 p.m.

And I think the prayer should be given by Mitt Romney himself. Perhaps if they see him offer a sincere prayer, Republicans might actually see that he is sincere in his Christian beliefs.

• TOO Sanpete, UT
    Aug. 21, 2012 2:42 p.m.

Oh the horror!!! That's if folks, it's all over.

• UNLV HENDERSON, NV
    Aug. 21, 2012 2:41 p.m.

The fact that there is not much difference between a Mormon prayer and a prayer from another Christian denomination is the point. People might expect it to be different, but it's not. That's the point.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 21, 2012 2:30 p.m.

...and the Democratic convention will feature a Muslim prayer???

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Aug. 21, 2012 2:09 p.m.

The only people who would recognize a mormon prayer would be...a mormon. Everyone else would have no idea which christian denomination offered the prayer.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    Aug. 21, 2012 1:38 p.m.

The well worn phrase "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care" should ring true in Mitt Romney's ears. His likeability ratings should sky rocket as he embraces his religion openly. He is not disliked because of his religion. The Republicans would be wise to let Romney's views dominate the party platform. Do you think Norquest could get elected anywhere?

• Kirk R Graves West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 21, 2012 1:26 p.m.

What exactly is a "Mormon Prayer"? I have prayed with nearly every Christian sect I have ever heard of, I can't say there was that much difference from the prayers I hear at church on Sunday. So, if a baptist prays, is it a "Baptist Prayer"? And more important, does it matter?