Deported Mormon glass artists making new life in new country

• La Escritora SLC, ut
    Aug. 25, 2012 6:13 p.m.

Thank you for your great comments. I knew the Correa Family when I was a SCORE counselor, I helped her little bit with her marketing needs. I never knew and I never ask about their status. They came to a few of my events to promote and to sell their incredible stained glass products and jewelry. I wanted them to succeed in this country. I am as well from Argentina. Sometimes the difference between legal and illegal immigrant is a simple matter of money. They come here because they don't have money and can't afford to be legal. I had to work really hard for 3 years to save enough $ to come to this country. A big number of immigrants are building a stronger economy such as the agriculture industry. Many of them who came illegally, realized that they had made a mistake especially when their children are born in this country. They have worked hard to saved enough to become legal for these types of immigrants who have American children, the US Immigration Law should have a way to make them citizen.I am happy for the Correa's family and God be with you always

• RichardB Murray, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 5:39 a.m.

The US decides what length of time a visa is for. You have to know the type of visa to find out how long they can be for. 90 days to 3 years in most cases. Making sure the visa is extended is their responsibility. The business has to fill out papers, but the visa holder has to work with the business to make sure they are filled out. Chances are they were on a visiting visa and the business could not apply for them.

As far as the deportation, maybe they did not send the papers because they did not know where they were. In the original article, they were told to leave, and instead they moved to Utah. The government was looking for them since 2006 to carry out the deportation orders.

It's to bad they did not follow the laws. A 90 day visa to visit does not entitle them to work or apply for a work visa while here. Most visas require a person to return to their home country before applying (an extension on a work visa can be made while the person is here)

Aug. 22, 2012 11:31 p.m.

NedGrimley, young adults recruit teens all the time. Should they be turned lose because they didn't know better?

When going to another country people have a responsibility to check out the laws and follow them.

If a lawyer tells them wrong (an excuse used daily in deportation hearings) their beef is with the lawyer, not the government. The same applies to US citizens.

• RichardB Murray, UT
    Aug. 20, 2012 7:34 p.m.

Hundreds on millions of people want to come here. We can't accept them all, so the only way to be fair is through legal immigration. We should not cater to those who chose to come here illegally, and allow them to take the place of honest people who apply, and follow our laws.

I've found over the years, that those who cry compassion the loudest, are the ones profiting and taking advantage of the lawbreakers.

• Gregg Weber SEATTLE, WA
    Aug. 20, 2012 6:58 p.m.

I wonder how those that have been deported because they illegally entered or stayed in the US could be helped when they return to their country. Improve their lives there so that they don't have to pay the smugglers, be paid sub rate by employers here, and other hardships. If there is crime in their own country, I hope that they would fight it at home rather than run away, just as if there was corruption in some of our states. Improve the nest.

• prelax Murray, UT
    Aug. 20, 2012 5:54 p.m.

What would happen if every person who wanted to come here came illegally or overstayed Visas? Our economy would collapse trying to provide for them. We have to insist that people come here legally.

If the 11.5 million left, citizens would be able to find jobs. Overstaying a visa is just as illegal as crossing the border. Both groups commit multiple felonies each day they stay here and work. It's their responsibility to follow up on visas and deportation orders.

With 2.5 million visas each year, a million green cards, and now 2 million people amnestied by Obama, we can't afford a liberal attitude towards those who come here without permission. Our economies recovery will never happen by flooding our labor pool. Are we willing to accept 8.3% unemployment for the next 20 years?

Make people come legally and let's control our borders. Remember 911 was carried out by people here illegally that overstayed their visas.

• KPDP Boutiful, UT
    Aug. 20, 2012 1:52 p.m.

What a great Family! They deserve Happiness! What a Shame that they were deported in the manner they described. Everyone deserves a chance to make what ever "wrong" into a "right". It is the Lord's way. I hope and pray for their success, and if they are patient enough, and determined, they can file the 'lengthy' and arduous paperwork, interviews, and fines they may need to pay in order to return to the U.S. if they desire. I am sad for their loss, but happy for their success in Chile.
    Stay Close to the Lord and He will Direct your paths...

• Just an Observer Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 20, 2012 12:30 p.m.

Definitely not a question of black or white, is it? I must say that if the original employer hired Mr. Correa legally, then there should be some kind of allowance to let the family stay. But, perhaps, if that employer did not hire Mr. Correa legally, then some sort of equal responsibility should be assessed to that employer as well.

• killpack Sandy, UT
    Aug. 20, 2012 12:27 p.m.

Fern RL, the problem is corrupt governing bodies, both foreign and domestic. Shame on any government who requires its citizens to pay a bribe so they can be given 'permission' to travel abroad. But also, shame on the corrupt US government for creating, as they normally do, an immigration bureaucracy that make regulations here and enforces them there, while letting those with money and a good lawyer not have to deal with any of it if they pay a bribe. Or, they grant 'amnesty' to a select few immigrants so they (the bureaucrats) can get reelected. There's a reason thousands of Americans are taking early retirement and moving in the opposite direction, South of the border. The problem is not that this country is over-crowded, the problem is that this country is over-crowded with self-important, paper-pushing, government administrators and free-loaders and under-crowded with entrepreneurs and working class members being more and more driven overseas. Though what the US Government did to the Correa family was horribly wrong, they likely did them a huge favor. I might just have to move to Chile myself.

• JRJ Pocatello, ID
    Aug. 20, 2012 11:48 a.m.

DN Subscriber: The Correas knew about the regulations and they did their best to follow them. If you would note there were several people/businesses who failed to follow through with their responsibilities. What a shame that we boot people like these folks and keep everybody who knowingly cross the border and live off middle income Americans.

I remember the incident, I too, appreciate the DN following up on them. Best wishes to them in their business and personal lives.

• Fern RL LAYTON, UT
    Aug. 20, 2012 11:17 a.m.

This was a very enlightening article. I had always thought of illegal aliens as being those who crossed the border without any visa at all. I thought of the countries they were escaping from, mostly Mexico, as being the real culprits for making life so unbearable for their citizens that they would risk everything to get out of there.

Now I see that many of them actually come to this country legally but illegally overstay their visas, particularly while applying for further legal rights to stay. To me, that is a whole different issue.

It is also a different issue when persecution is involved in the person's original country.

Even now, though, I don't understand what determines the length of time allowed on a visa. Is it Argentine policy to allow only a short visa, or does that decision come from the United States? Is there equality in the treatment of someone coming here from Europe, Canada, or anywhere else?

I understand that as long as there are borders there need to be limits, with a kind of balance between those moving into the country and those moving out.

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    Aug. 20, 2012 11:14 a.m.

Of course, I meant, "the reason good folks come here ILLEGALLY is..."

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    Aug. 20, 2012 10:54 a.m.

Ned Grimley got it right. You folks who see thing as black and white, my way or the highway, would, in my humble opinion, be better to direct your energy toward fixing our really stupid immigration laws and even worse enforcement. The biggest reason good folks come here legally is because they are deperate, for one reason or another (for work, food, safety, etc,) and they can't afford the money or the time required to get here legally. Why do we make it so easy for the bad guys (I mean real bad guys) to get here and so hard for the good guys??? Why not welcome hard working folks, of good moral character, to our country...as other countries do???? and those of you quoting articles of faith, keep doing so, but only if your conscience can tell you tha you are 100% compliant yourself. Get over your self-righteousness and join in the effort to reform our ridiculous, embarrassing immigration laws and enforcement.

• Andy Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 20, 2012 9:46 a.m.

These are the kinds of people we are deporting?? Skilled workers who work hard, pay taxes, contribute and make their communities better? No wonder Chile is growing and the US is decaying.

Of course Chile wants this family. We should want this family.

To the DesNews: thanks for following up on this family. But I'm not surprised they landed on their feet. Hard workers with some vision and faith can generally make it wherever they land.

• killpack Sandy, UT
    Aug. 20, 2012 9:23 a.m.

Deportation may have very well been a blessing in disguise for this family. The US Government is becoming more incompetent, corrupt, immoral and hypocritical every day. Instead of rewarding hard work, they levy ridiculous and complicated taxes and regulations on honest hard working individuals and small businesses in order to pay off special interests keeping them in power. Immigration laws and enforcement are a debauchery, allowing some to stay on a whim or a bribe or because it fulfills a political need at that particular instant, while others are deported because they weren't so fortunate to have a corrupt politician or judge working their case. If I was Senor Correa, I'd say good riddance. If I were him, I'd find a country where the legal system actually rewards hard work, innovation and entrepreneurship. America is quickly proving to not be such a place. On the other look into Singapore, Taiwan or maybe even Hong Kong. Low taxes, low regulations and they actually welcome hard working individuals and businesses from other countries.

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    Aug. 20, 2012 9:14 a.m.

Should every individual here "illegally" be painted with the exact same brush, (evil, work stealing, deceptive law breakers), and be rounded up and deported without taking any of the past actions of our own country and its supposed law abiding citizenry into account? I don't think so.

Now the tough part. What to do? Remedies have been suggested. Ideas floated. Resolutions provided. Legislation proposed. But there are so many people carrying this "git off my proppity" attitude, that a solid, fair and workable resolution will be tough to come by. Unless we can grow up and look at the issue realistically.

I'm sorry, but its pretty obvious to anyone with a brain what the immediate deportation of 12 million people would do to an already pitiful economy.

I side with DN Subscriber and vote for a viable way to "...welcome them...to the U.S., if they choose to [live here] legally and obey our laws."

My 2 cents worth... (Duck and cover;)

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    Aug. 20, 2012 9:13 a.m.

I'm not a fan of illegal immigration. However, I also realize that enforecement of immigration laws in this country has been crappy (can I say "crappy" on this forum?) for may, many years. The complete lack of enforcement, along with the facilitation of illegal immigration by turning a blind eye for so many years by those who should enforce the law, and by those who had the most to benefit from them being here, has led to the problem we have today.

I find it difficult to lay ALL blame at the feet of those who were not only welcomed, but encouraged to come to America, and oft times misled by unscroupulous "facilitators", including attorneys, employers, government officials, and anyone else that could benefit from their presence here.

Are there many individuals that came knowlingly breaking the law? Absolutely. Are there many, many more that came thinking they were doing what was necessary to be here legally, but in reality weren't because they were misled into thinking they were doing it right? I believe so. Should not the attorneys, business owners, government officials and others that facilitated their entry hold some accountability? I think so.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Aug. 20, 2012 7:20 a.m.

"He held a job, paid taxes and never received so much as a traffic ticket."

How do you do that without a Social Security card or a Resident Alien (green) card?

Answer: By using a false (someone else's) social security number. But then, Identity Theft is a crime with a faceless victim, isn't it? Until the victim is YOU.

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    Aug. 20, 2012 6:26 a.m.

Some of these comments are laughable.
    How can anyone say our country is harsh and we are obsessed with deportation?
    Look at the data folks. A million green cards a year. Free ER and public schools, no questions asked. Rampant employment of illegals (about 4% of the workforce). ONE THIRD of all the foreign-born are here illegally.
    We've become a nation of patsies for illegal aliens. They work and live here with little fear of detection and few of those detected are ever deported.
    Some "plight."

• prelax Murray, UT
    Aug. 20, 2012 4:44 a.m.

I've always wondered why some people choose to come here legally, and some chose the illegal route. With three and a half million people coming here each year (2010), some on green cards, some on visas, how do people make that decision? Argentina doesn't have a long wait, why overstay a visa? 5 years of expired visas and saying the boss never filed it seems strange. Being deported and not leaving also sounds strange. Papers or no papers they knew they were being deported. Not following up on your status seems strange.

Does it feel better not using someones social security number, or committing perjury by filling out a i-9 form illegally?

I have several families of legal immigrants near me, and one family here illegally. With their son being given temporary amnesty, you would think they won the lottery. The people here legally know they won the real lottery years ago when they chose to come here legally.

Aug. 20, 2012 3:44 a.m.

Our immigration laws have brought part of those here working. Many have just ignored our laws. How can we complain about our laws, when so many abuse them.

Lasvegaspam has it right. Many citizens of this country have to move every year to provide for their families. Construction workers have had to move and find work in other fields, they can no longer support their families on reduced wages.

There is no reason for people to come here against the law. I'm happy for them, after the earthquake they could have Churches lining up for their work.

• anti-liar Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 20, 2012 3:13 a.m.

I am relieved to see that apparently, these people have more respect for Chile's immigration laws than they did for the U.S.'s.

This story also goes to show that deportation is not the virtual death sentence that many imply it is -- that many deportees thrive not only temporarily, but spiritually as well since they now are living to a higher standard of legality and of honesty toward and respect for one's fellow man than they were in this country as illegal foreign nationals.

I wish this family continued temporal and spiritual success and happiness in their adopted country of Chile.

• WestGranger West Valley City, Utah
    Aug. 19, 2012 10:22 p.m.

Our entire political system has failed to provide us with a intelligent and proper immigration system. One that fails to distinguish between those who would be a great benefit to our society and those who would bring criminal and otherwise negative behavior here. It is an unfortunate lack of leadership that has harmed our country.

• Lasvegaspam Henderson, NV
    Aug. 19, 2012 7:55 p.m.

I see the Correa family as no different than my own. My husband and I were both born and raised in Chicago, which is where most of our family resides today. Due to a job loss, we chose to move away from there to take a job in a small city along the Mississippi. It was idyllic and we would have loved to have raised our children there. But due to the sale of the new company we chose to make another move, this time across the nation to a western state; and to another awesome city where my children ended up growing up, graduating high school and launching from.

I often tell people that these moves have been the best thing that ever happened to our family. They broadened our perspectives and our horizons.

I am always shocked by people who think that it is their “right” to remain in whatever place they currently reside, and that they are somehow entitled to a good job and a good life there. Folks, follow the opportunities and you'll find new ones appear!

• grconklin La Mesa, CA
    Aug. 19, 2012 6:22 p.m.

"We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law."

Has this principle been suspended for people who come into the United States illegally??

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 19, 2012 6:06 p.m.

While this is a god reminder of the hardships for a family, let us remember that the plight of the family is the direct result of their failure to obey the laws, which they clearly understood.

I would welcome them back to the U.S. if they choose to enter legally and obey our laws. If not, then they will certainly thrive in Chile, which is a fine country, and their lives will be the better for having had the chance to live in the U.S. for at least a few years.

Legal immigrants are always welcome. Those who break our laws need to accept that there are (or at least should be) consequences for their choices.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Aug. 19, 2012 5:57 p.m.

I am glad to hear the positives that this family has experienced. I know that it was awful to go through that, but the refiners fire has helped them to grow and to expand. They wonder about what would it had been like if Obama would have done his amnesty before that, they would not have grown and discovered depth and strength from this experience. Trials are our gifts to help us to grow.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    Aug. 19, 2012 5:47 p.m.

Janet. I agree. We as a country are obsessed with deportation people. Many are law abiding people who have much to offer. I support the LDS church and their call to bring humanity back to the immigration debate. I salute the family for not giving up despite hardships.

• Janet Ontario, OR
    Aug. 19, 2012 5:12 p.m.

People who immigrated (or had family members immigrate) before 9/11; many people who immigrated from countries other than in Latin America; people who haven't lived as children in fear of being sent "back" to a foreign country -- all have no idea what it is like for families like this one. There are some of us, Mr. Romboy, who appreciate the reminder that deportation of such families is a shame. Thank you!

• freedomingood provo, Utah
    Aug. 19, 2012 5:04 p.m.

Too bad they had to leave. Hopefully the future is bright and they can return if they want to.

• t702 Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 19, 2012 4:13 p.m.

Great story! Those who work hard will always find new doors open regardless of their circumstances. Folks like these are those that fully appreciate America and what it stands for, unlike the Occupy whiners that want the government provide for them...

• ? SLC, UT
    Aug. 19, 2012 3:59 p.m.

As the saying goes, "One door closes, another one opens". Seems the Correa family has a great gift for stained glass that is appreciated in many places throughout the world. Keep up the great work.