Sports

Red roundup: Utes' defensive lineman Star Lotulelei top NFL prospect

Comments

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 14, 2012 6:47 p.m.

"I can't remember how those players did in the pros."

Maybe turn on something other than BYUtv once in a while.

• J W springville, UT
    Aug. 14, 2012 9:04 a.m.

That's great that Utah had a couple first round draft picks years back. I can't remember how those players did in the pros. I haven't seen anything in the news.. Any super bowl rings?

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 14, 2012 8:20 a.m.

Why aren't the Utes over-hyping him the way we waaaay over-hyped Jimmer?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 13, 2012 6:02 p.m.

It would not surprise me one bit if he is a top 10 draft pick, maybe number one, just depends on the needs of the team drafting 1st.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 13, 2012 5:53 p.m.

gdog3finally,

I hear you... I doubt he ends up #1 though he has come out number one on a few early projections. It's more likely that a team that bad goes with a new QB (Matt Barkley).

But I definitely like where your head at ... "If Star does end up being the #1 pick though, he will be the third #1 in the last 8 years for Utah. Maybe you don't count basketball, but Andrew Bogut was the #1 pick the same year Alex Smith was in the 2005 drafts."

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 13, 2012 5:37 p.m.

Congrats on the prospective NFL. We shall see what happens through the season.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 13, 2012 3:28 p.m.

Great player and a great person. Impressive he would turn down a top 5 draft pick last year to come back to school. I can't wait to see him do his damage in person against the likes of USC!

• Solomon Levi Alpine, UT
    Aug. 13, 2012 12:17 p.m.

UU32

Not wishing any ill-will to Star, but Wynn is starting his fourth season at Utah, yet he's only a junior.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 13, 2012 12:11 p.m.

@motorbike

I don' think Star will go #1, but I do see him being drafted in the top 10 if healthy. If Star does end up being the #1 pick though, he will be the third #1 in the last 8 years for Utah. Maybe you don't count basketball, but Andrew Bogut was the #1 pick the same year Alex Smith was in the 2005 drafts.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 13, 2012 11:39 a.m.

Ufan - "looks like the Utes will only have him for one more season." I hope so, because he is a Senior.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 13, 2012 11:13 a.m.

The only bummer for Star will be going to a bad NFL team ... but hopefully the team who ends up picking first is a team that sees a need for a D-lineman, it would be awesome to have two number one picks from Utah in the last 8 years.

• Ufan Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 13, 2012 11:02 a.m.

Good for Star; looks like the Utes will only have him for one more season. It's too bad we don't have an offense to match the defense.