Chick-fil-A president's gay marriage comments ignite media firestorm

• JP71 Ogden, UT
    July 25, 2012 11:06 a.m.

I will eat there today to thank them for their courage to stand up for what is right.

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    July 24, 2012 12:08 p.m.

There is nothing that would convince me to eat at a Chick-fil-A. It has nothing to do with politics -- their food is terrible.

• k7dsn Orem, UT
    July 23, 2012 10:25 p.m.

Sounds to me like Chic-fil-A is a great place to take a family. I think mine will fit in just fine there.

• justamacguy Manti, UT
    July 23, 2012 11:56 a.m.

Nice. Where do I find one of these to eat at?

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    July 23, 2012 11:52 a.m.

So, many replies claim that people who boycott Chick-Fil-A are 'bullies'.

But Chick-Fil-A can donate $2 million dollars against gay marriage...?

Both are legal. And yet, only one is condoned by persons against gay marriage. Why is that?

If you can take action to legislate your morality upon others, why can't they?

Regardless, Marriage promotes Mongamy. Even gay marriage. To be against the concept of marriage simply because of genitalia omits a stance against marriage period. Which, I do not think many here are trying to do.

And yet, marriage promotes Monogamy. Arguge against that at your own peril.

And last, I want to know how a seperage persons gay marriage, factually, affects you.

Not your religion, not your morality because this, IMO is semantics.

I mean, factually. How has gay marriage brought your life, any kind of real 'harm'.

Because MA has had gay marriage for 8 years now. Almost a decade.

I see no harm to your lives. As such, no reason to be against gay marriage.

And a life-long commitment, to one person.

God Bless America.

• KSC Sandy, UT
    July 23, 2012 11:23 a.m.

It appears that the pro-gay-marriage supporters go out of their way to look in every nook and cranny for an offense.

Perhaps it is because it is so much easier to make news and raise money when you can create a boogeyman.

I will cast my vote behind freedom of speech and have lunch today at Chic-Fil-A.

• Ranch Here, UT
    July 23, 2012 7:37 a.m.

I'm sure your god will be proud of you for discriminating against your fellow American Citizens and working to deny them equal treatment under the law - benefits that you, yourself, enjoy. Good luck with that (Didn't your god say this: "do unto others as you would have them do unto you"?)

@JSB; It does when you decide that even though you favor one version, you're going to do your best to ensure that other versions are denied and you've already gotten yours.

Take a gander at the boycotts conducted by the so-called "Christians". Liberals aren't the only ones using boycotts.

Prove your god even has an opinion and that you actually know what that opinion is.

It is when you use your non-support to actually prevent.

Nobody is passing legislation to force you to have a gay marriage.

@Julie M;

Perhaps it's because he's denying others their own freedom of choice?

What about the freedom of religion of those who believe god doesn't care about the genders in a marriage?

A lot of you are going to be shorter some cash it seems.

• Ranch Here, UT
    July 23, 2012 7:13 a.m.

Earl1066 says:
    Freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of assembly: where do these freedoms come from? You have the right to disagree and to state that disagreement. You do not have the right to force your ideas on others. The man has a right to his opinions. You have the right to disagree. You even have the right not to patronize his business. You do not have the right to prevent him from conducting his business just because you disagree with his religious and political opinions.

Likewise, you do not have the right to deny equal treatment under the law (i.e., marriage) to GLBT couples simply because you don't disagree with their marriages.

• sharrona layton, UT
    July 22, 2012 5:07 p.m.

R:, Bill in Nebraska I heard through a rumor that the owner of Chick-fil-let is actually a LDS?
    He talks about Jesus not a church, He sounds like a Christian.

RE: LDS have stated is that marriage is defined as between man and woman? True, The N.T.(after the gift of the Holy Spirit see Acts) clearly teaches no polygamy.

(Jesus) For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh(Mt 19:5)
    St. Paul , Appoint Elders in every town as I directed you if anyone is above reproach, the husband of ONE wife, and his children are believers and not open to the charge of debauchery) or insubordination. (Titus 1:5,6 NIV).

Re; WhatsUpDoc,"Gay marriage does NOT promote monogamy."
    Nor does "polygamy," from polygamos " from polys "many" + gamos "marriage[s]”

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    July 22, 2012 3:22 p.m.

When fanatic religionists cannot distinguish between their business dealings and their religious ideologies, they begin to tread on the ground made sacred by the blood of victims of religious extremism.

Tread carefully, believers. You are at risk of waking a sleeping secular giant.

• Bill in Nebraska Maryville, MO
    July 22, 2012 3:20 p.m.

Al134: Actually if I gave you the name of the individual you would be surprised. It is a General Authority and an Apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ. His full context is that though the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints does not in any question force anyone to believe but if one is in opposition to the general leadership whether, Bishop, Stake President, Seventy, Apostle or President of the Church that to actually sustain that person as the authorized leader also means to follow and stand beside their decisions. If you are not then you should get on your knees and pray until you are in line with their direction. By the way that was almost a quote from what was said in a Stake Conference by said Apostle. I won't say who in regards that it doesn't matter who said just that it was said.

• Julie M Largo, FL
    July 22, 2012 2:02 p.m.

We support Mr. Cathy's right to express his views on gay marriage and are saddened that he is receiving so much negative feedback for exercising his freedom of choice.

• LRB NY, NY
    July 21, 2012 11:23 p.m.

In just ten years attitudes about gays have made a 180 degree turn. It is as inevitable as integration and women voting.

• George Bronx, NY
    July 21, 2012 11:18 p.m.

no but apparently he will be used for petty politics and apparently he will allow for people to lie and deceive in his name.

• Really??? Kearns, UT
    July 21, 2012 10:42 p.m.

I find it ironic that there's a link to an article "Teaching civility a crucial step in helping a child build a future" to the right of all of these comments. I think we all need to take a look at that article and see if we treat others who disagree with our views with the amount of civility we would like to receive. Everybody deserves to be treated with dignity. Everybody has a right to say how they feel on different issues. Everybody also has the right to voice their opposing views when a public figure says something about which they disagree.

The people who are complaining about others who say they will not longer dine at this fast food establishment are likely the same people who boycotted a female country band who said some unpopular comments about George W. Bush at a concert several years ago. They are likely the same people who complained about a recent Oreo advertisement. It goes both ways, folks. You have a right to express your opposition to others viewpoints.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    July 21, 2012 10:11 p.m.

The good man has a lot of biblical principles sewn up it would seem and this is a good thing. Now if he can just master the prideful attitude he will be in an even better situation.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    July 21, 2012 8:47 p.m.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion. It is a free country and people are free to believe that there is a God and that there are behaviors that will bring his wrath.

People made fun of Noah until they were treading water.

• aunt lucy Looneyville, UT
    July 21, 2012 8:35 p.m.

How refreshing to see someone stand up for what's right even at great financial risk. I I will buy my next meal at chic fila.

• sashabill Morgan Hill, CA
    July 21, 2012 8:00 p.m.

Good for Chick Fil-A. They're getting my business.

• Black Shirts South Jordan, UT
    July 21, 2012 6:18 p.m.

My new favorite fast food place. I wish more companies would do the same. PRO NORMAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

• BH Tremonton, UT
    July 21, 2012 6:03 p.m.

Pagan says:

"Oreo, Sears, JCPenny, Starbucks, Archie Comics, all support gay marriage. All, still here."

first, Oreo is not a company. Perhaps you meant Nabisco? Sears is not doing well. Late last year Moody's lowered Sears credit rating from B1 to B3. Essentially junk stock. Some in the business world wonder what keeps the doors open at Sears. JC Penney credit rating also took a hit early this year. It is now BB-plus. Also essentially junk stock. While Starbucks is generally a very healthy company, it has struggled the last few months with negative publicity. Most recent is regarding using crushed beetles as a red food coloring in strawberry drinks. YUK!

But that's not the point. Your assumption is that financial success is success. You are gravely in err. To people like Mr. Cathy, financial success is always secondary to standing for those things that that are right in the sight of God.

When one has a conviction that they must stand for Christ, and that mortality is only a time to prepare for immortality, then your measurement of success becomes only important in the good one can do for others with financial success.

• Utah Native Farmington, UT
    July 21, 2012 4:25 p.m.

While everyone else is having a cow about this, I'm going to go Eat More Chikin (the one in AF).

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    July 21, 2012 3:29 p.m.

Good for Cathy. He had the guts to tell the truth. And.....God will NOT be mocked!

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 21, 2012 3:11 p.m.

"Gay marriage does NOT promote monogamy."

A union between two people who love each other and want to make it work doesn't promote monogamy? You're saying that because some gay marriages end in divorce it doesn't promote monogamy? Goodness, straight people divorce all the time, so does any marriage not promote monogamy?

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    July 21, 2012 2:48 p.m.

Owner of Chic-Fil-A has every right to express his opionion and support of tranditional marriage - its American - free speech!. Nothing he said is bigoted or hateful to fair and open minded folks. Wow some Chic-Fil-A chicken sure sounds good for dinner tonight.

• ulvegaard Medical Lake, Washington
    July 21, 2012 1:48 p.m.

We have reached a point in this country where if you state your personal beliefs and they are not in harmony with current fads, it's called Hate Speech. If you support and speak out in favor of controversial lifestyles it's called Freedom of Speech.

It is a dangerous line we tred if we are going to punish and vilify anyone and everyone who honestly believes that Gay marriage is not appropriate. I don't agree with it either, but that should not imply in any way shape or form that I hate people or that I am a bigot and without compassion. I have several gay friends and they are my friends but that does not mean that I have to agree with all of their choices just as I do not agree with all of the choices of my heterosexual friends either. That is my prerogative, so long as I do not try to force anyone to agree or accept my choices.

• cougar76 Raleigh, NC
    July 21, 2012 1:18 p.m.

The Mayor of Boston says "Chick-fil-A doesn't belong in Boston. You can't have a business in the city of Boston that discriminates against a population. We're an open city, we're a city that's at the forefront of inclusion." BUT, DON'T ASK US TO INCLUDE ANYTHING WE DON'T AGREE WITH!

• Baccus0902 Leesburg, VA
    July 21, 2012 12:23 p.m.

"Media Firestorm"?? where? it must be over Salt Lake City. I live nearby the Metropolitan DC area, the center of worldwide news. Normal weather here!

I agree, people are entitled to their opinion and other people are entitled to make decisions based on how those opinions may affect them, if they have any impact at all.

Same sex marriage is moving forward and obviously their detractors will talk louder and louder as they lose the battle.

It is a good time for the U.S. and the world. Social justice, equality and wind bringing healthy changes are in the air.

Let's the Cathy's of the world express their sorrow, fear and messages of doom.

We on the other hand should continue with our message of hope, social justice and equality for all children of God.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    July 21, 2012 12:15 p.m.

I think this individual is welcome to his opinion, but he shouldn't be surprised if some of us beg to differ with him. I certainly hope he isn't poking into the personal lives of his employees or discriminating against those he disagrees with in the workplace. I believe that is the wrong way to support his position about marriage.

• killpack Sandy, UT
    July 21, 2012 12:14 p.m.

I'm sure this has probably already been said a hundred times, but I would love to point this out too, along with the others: You would prevent Chick-fil-A's from coming to Boston because Boston 'doesn't discriminate.' How then, is that not in and of itself discriminatory? I mean, I know you are a politician, and it is your job to say things that are contradictions, but C'MON!

• Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    July 21, 2012 11:26 a.m.

"Why is it that many of the supporters for Mr Cathy sound just like the members of the Westboro Baptist Church? "
    Really, I haven't seen any examples of his supporters sounding like people from the WestBoro Baptist church. Can you provide any examples or quotations?

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    July 21, 2012 10:46 a.m.

Oh for the days of Freedom of Speech. Before you boycott Chick-Fillet, just ask, "do they have business practices that discriminate?" Gays to the left or back of the room or a different price or quality of service? None. Then boycotting is just having an irrelevant political snit.

Can't stand many liberal actors, but I watch their movies. I can walk and chew gum at the same time.

• windsor City, Ut
    July 21, 2012 10:41 a.m.

Our Chick-fil-A has been jammed.

People loved it before, and it was busy before--and now--well, guess people are trying to show Mr.Cathy, with their purchases, there are more for him than against him.

Would be interesting to hear how business seems at other Chick-fil-A locations.

• anti-liar Salt Lake City, UT
    July 21, 2012 10:01 a.m.

I love Chick-fil-A for its courage and integrity and for its utter disregard for political "correctness." What a rare thing! I'm going to have some food at Chick-fil-A today!

• rok San Diego, CA
    July 21, 2012 9:50 a.m.

If the Boston mayor doesn't allow a franchise in his city, that is censorship, a violation of Mr. Cathy's free speech, and downright intolerant and non-inclusive of the mayor.

• WhatsUpDoc Draper, UT
    July 21, 2012 9:47 a.m.

Gay marriage does NOT promote monogamy. Say what you want, but I have first hand knowledge that your statement is simply untrue. Some stay together, but most don't. State your facts and sources on your claims that every business that supports LGBT experiences additional growth and profits. Chik-Fil-A is growing all over the nation without support of LGBT. Maybe it's because LGBT only represents 2% of the population.

Good for Mr. Cathy. The thing about gays/liberals is they want you to be tolerant of them but they don't want to be tolerant of you. If you don't agree with their position you're immediately labeled a bigot, homophobe and whatever other labels they choose to use.

• Bill Freeze Lindon, UT
    July 21, 2012 9:25 a.m.

Have always liked Chick-fil-a food and service.....I especiaaly appreciate their strong support of traditional family values....we will continue to support them!

• gnrl39 South Jordan, UT
    July 21, 2012 9:04 a.m.

It's interesting how the pro gay agenda is plastered all over the media every day in a in your face way and then someone with an articulate differing point of view is villified for his opinion.
    I will be eating more chik-fil-a in the future.

July 21, 2012 8:55 a.m.

Here in the South, Chic-Fil-A, is big. Always a line to order. Best tasting chicken around. Commercials are funny too. Chic-Fil-A won't loose any customers. Joey K. has a good point, but we're talking about someone standing for something.The Evangelical community does support Mormons on this stance of what marriage is. Living in the South, we deal with outspoken people from religion to politics all the time. Grateful for men and women who stand for something.

• Bob A. Bohey Marlborough, MA
    July 21, 2012 8:24 a.m.

In places like UT. and the bible belt the statements by the CEO will play well and may bolster the business. In more rational parts of the country they probably won't and it may hurt the business. It will be interesting to watch this play out from a business perspective.

• Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    July 21, 2012 8:16 a.m.

If the CEO said that Mormons are not Christians I would disagree with him but I would not demonize him. I don't think very many Mormons would be too upset simply because most Mormons are comfortable with their so they aren't threatened by people who disagree with them.

In fact if he said Mormons aren't Christians I would still continue to eat at Chick-Fil-A, I think that supporting traditional marriage is a powerful tool to fight poverty and that is a liberal cause. I would support him because of my liberal views. Liberal but not dogmatic.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 21, 2012 8:09 a.m.

"More people need to speak up and not be cowed by oppressive liberals."

Uh, I'm pretty sure the people protesting think more people need to speak up and not be cowed by oppressive conservatives. For someone who likes the first amendment so much you sure want one side to be quiet.

@This who don't want marriage subject to "redefinition"
    You shouldn't have put marriage in the gov't in the first place. If you want it to maintain a religious definition then get it out of the gov't and give everyone civil unions insteead.

"Why do liberals always boycott or attack everyone that disagrees with them? "

Conservatives are currently boycotting Girl Scout cookies because a troop in Colorado let a transgender person in.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    July 21, 2012 8:06 a.m.

What I think is funny is every day I do business with people that I don't agree with politically, religiously, ethically, or whatever. To say we only do business with those who agree with us is absolutely immature and unrealistic. There are certain events, like Disney's Gay Pride days, that we avoid visiting the Disney parks at... but we don't avoid Disney. There are theaters that show movies I don't approve of, but I still go to movies there. There are hotels that sell pay per view tv I don't agree with, but I still stay at these Hotels... the list goes on and on.

So if the Gay community and their supports decide Chick Fil A isn't for them. FIne. That is their choice. Chick Fil A has survived its ethical\religious battles like closing on Sundays, and done just fine. I expect them to not waver, and hold true to their values. And if there is never a restaurant open in Boston, good for them.

Just as I would never expect a gay person to compromise their values, I expect Chick Fil A to never compromise theirs.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 21, 2012 8:04 a.m.

@Bill in Nebraska
    "I was told once that if a member (LDS) is not ok with that and will not step in line that they need to get down on their knees until they do.

Told that by someone who didn't bother listening to GAs. "Members should feel free to disagree on the issue without fear of sanction." Elder Whitney Clayton of the Seventy (the one who led the Prop 8 effort).

Anyway it's no surprise that the LDS church is the least liberal religion/church in America (8% liberal) with a liberal inactivity rate over double that of the rest of the church since so many members feel content to ignore the fact that the church is politically neutral in favor of condemning people because of a stance on the Iraq war or the healthcare bill (two things I was criticized for, and I'm sure President Hinckley took a position on neither of them).

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    July 21, 2012 7:23 a.m.

But of course you want to pass legislation that makes all of us adhere to your beliefs. Leftist hypocrisy is amusing.

• jskains Orem, UT
    July 21, 2012 6:50 a.m.

Every company is taking a stand. Apple has often taken a pro-gay stance. Ben and Jerry has made special ice creams promoting gay marriage. Oreo cookies are coming out in rainbow colors. I am so sick of the liberals being allowed to voice their opinions in every means nessesity, but they go out of their way to silence the opposition. That's sad.

• Allen Salt Lake valley, UT
    July 21, 2012 6:06 a.m.

I think it sad that government at any level is involved with the definition of marriage. Government should be involved with civil liberties via social unions, but it shouldn't (in my opinion) be involved with the definition of marriage. Marriage is a social contract, and social groups should be free to define how their group views marriage.

A good analogy with marriage is baptism. I believe baptism is a sacred ordinance. My church defines baptism as an immersion by one having Priesthood authority. Other Christian churches define baptism as sprinkling or pouring. Other Christian churches define baptism as immersion by their Pastor. Many people believe baptism is not needed at all. Government (not yet, at least) doesn't define baptism and leaves that to churches that consider baptism important. So it should be, I think, with marriage.

• Janet Ontario, OR
    July 21, 2012 1:27 a.m.

While I believe that sex outside of marriage is wrong, and while I believe that marriage should be between one man and one woman, I understand and respect people who do not agree with me. I think same-sex marriage is inevitable in the U.S., whether some of us support it or not. What's desperately needed is civil dialogue. People have the right to boycott products and services from people they disagree with, but it moves u s no closer to that dialogue. Silencing dissent is not the American ideal. Let people speak, listen to all sides, and "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." We are way too quick to judge and to condemn -- all of us, liberal, conservative, and everything in between. Bullying people for speaking their minds (unless they are advocating criminal acts)stifles democracy. "I do not support gay marriage" is not hate speech.

• MapleDon Springville, UT
    July 21, 2012 12:36 a.m.

I've only been to Chick-fil-A once. I'm going to be a regular customer going forward. This CEO has the guts to say what's right and stay closed on Sunday. Even so, the food was great.

• harley1 Salt Lake , UT
    July 21, 2012 12:09 a.m.

Many exhibit tolerance for opinions that support gay marriage but quickly label opinions that support traditional marriage as biased. It's an obvious trick of rhetoric to label something with a socially unacceptable label to inflame opinions. It's perfectly fair to believe in gay marriage. It's also perfectly fair to believe that gay marriage is wrong. I'm weary of groups that become outraged whenever someone shares their opinion or tries to stand up for their own beliefs. Make your case and let others make theirs. Why try to shut someone down for expressing their beliefs?

We all base our beliefs on different assumptions and propositions so its inevitable that even with solid logic we will come to differing conclusions. For example, I believe that homosexuality is a sin (because the Lord's word says so). Opinion nor outrage nor mischaracterization nor labeling carries sufficient weight to overturn the Lord's word. Whether one chooses to believe it or not, the Lord has taught that homosexual practices violate the commandments.

Incidentally, Cathy (rightly) opined that placing one's own opinions above God's is what is arrogant not what other posters have mistakenly interpreted.

• dave31 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 21, 2012 12:05 a.m.

This makes me want to "eat more chikin."

• JNA Layton, UT
    July 20, 2012 11:57 p.m.

I will be buying lots and lots and lots of Chick fil a and telling all my friends to do the same. I am so proud of this man..awesome

• Californian#1@94131 San Francisco, CA
    July 20, 2012 11:53 p.m.

--- Even Boston Mayor Thomas Menino waded into the debate, vowing to block Chick-fil-A from opening a franchise in his city.

"Chick-fil-A doesn’t belong in Boston." ---

What if a company owner came out in open and enthusiastic support of same-sex "marriage" and a mayor said that company didn’t belong in his town and would be banned from opening a store?

Can you imagine the howling and threatened lawsuits and maybe even rioting that would follow to protest this violation of the right to freedom of speech?

The advocates of "tolerance" on the left are tolerant of what fits into their agenda, support freedom of expression for those who agree with them, and have no scruples or shame about shouting down, defaming, or trying to destroy those who disagree.

• smarty pants Herriman, UT
    July 20, 2012 11:21 p.m.

I'm so glad to see that there is still people who stand for the truth. Sure we have to love and accept others. What about accepting the fact that there is people over there who still believe in traditional values. We have made the line so thin now, that we are accepting more and more what it's actually not the right thing anymore. Traditional marriage between a man and a woman is something that was stablished by God from the beginning. On the other hand the company is in a FREE country, with FREE speech and they are a private organization who has the right to defend their values and beliefs.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    July 20, 2012 11:13 p.m.

Being 'pro-marriage' does not mean donating $2 million dollars factually against marriage for LGBT Americans.

The CEO can have his faith. I do not have to adhere to it due to his donating said $2 million dollars for legislation to force me, to adhere to his beliefs.

Also, let's talk about what Americans want....?

Gallup Poll: Majority of Americans support gay marriage' - By Elizabeth Stuart - DSNews - 05/20/2011

'For the first time since Gallup started studying the issue in 1996, the polling organization found a majority of Americans favor legalizing same-sex marriage.
    Fifty-three percent of Americans answered yes to the question...'

Published by, the Deseret News.

I hope all you supporters go every day.

Because that's the amount of days I will not give them my hard earned money. :)

• Sacramento Ute SACRAMENTO, CA
    July 20, 2012 10:23 p.m.

I had Chic fil a tonight, and it was good as always. They have great service and I like that they are closed on Sunday. To Joey, you are right about LDS being called a cult, but I still support Chic fil a and the owners right to express his opinions. Gay people have a right to disagree. I have a right to agree and eat at Chic fil a.

• BH Tremonton, UT
    July 20, 2012 10:22 p.m.

I have always admired Mr. Cathy for his commitment to keep his restaurants closed on Sunday, and other moral character that he has demonstrated. Now, his brave stance on the sanctity of marriage and the family has just reaffirmed to me, the moral character of this man. This country needs more Mr. Cathy's.

• isrred Logan, UT
    July 20, 2012 10:16 p.m.

"Why do liberals always boycott or attack everyone that disagrees with them?"

Why should I spend my money at an establishment that turns around and uses it to fight against my rights? I'm not a bigot for taking my business elsewhere because I disagree. That is the beauty of the free market that conservatives claim to worship.

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    July 20, 2012 10:07 p.m.

If for what you consider to be very logical reasons, you are in favor a traditional, one man-one woman marriages, does that make you a bigot?

• betweenthelines Portland, OR
    July 20, 2012 10:06 p.m.

Why do liberals always boycott or attack everyone that disagrees with them? The gay-rights movement always preached how they wanted people to be tolerant towards them, but they never tolerate others. That was shown in California when the marriage issue was on the ballot. Gays destroyed property and tried to destroy the lives of those that opposed gay-marriage. They themselves show the flaws in their way of life. Just as gays claim it is okay to be openly gay, they should allow others to be openly for traditional marriage. The hypocrisy among liberals and gays is sickening. Many liberals and gays call any opposition to their ideas hate speech but they themselves are the real hate mongers.

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    July 20, 2012 9:46 p.m.

I don't care much for the food, but I liked the CEOs comments.

• DEW Sandy, UT
    July 20, 2012 9:38 p.m.

Where is the nearest Chick-fil-A in my town. I might get some tomorrow for lunch. Thank You Chick-fil-A CEO!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    July 20, 2012 9:16 p.m.

@Joey K

Well most of "Mormons" support people when they are right and don't support them when they are wrong. Do you think that just because we disagree with someone on one point we have to automatically take the opposite view from them on all other points? That makes no sense whatsoever but then leftist ideology makes no sense whatsoever.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    July 20, 2012 9:13 p.m.

I already loved chik-fil-a but now I intend to go there even more often.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    July 20, 2012 9:09 p.m.

I love two things: First amendment freedom of speech, and chicken sandwiches. More people need to speak up and not be cowed by oppressive liberals.

• Monsieur le prof Sandy, UT
    July 20, 2012 8:47 p.m.

I support the traditional definition of marriage as being between one man and one woman for the purpose of procreation. If some want to form a civil union, that is up to them, but don't try to change a word's meaning by insisting that that coupling is a marriage. It is not. There is great danger in meddling with that which God has anointed and made holy.

Congrats to Chick-fil-A for their stand on Sunday closing and wonderful charity work nnd to its president for having the integrity of standing by his beliefs.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    July 20, 2012 8:35 p.m.

All time favorite now.

• jpjazz Sandy, UT
    July 20, 2012 8:01 p.m.

I will endeavor to go once a week!

• OnlyInUtah Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 20, 2012 7:59 p.m.

Re Blue.. I'd rather face the wrath of a sizeable number of Americans with no faith than to face my God knowing I did not stand up for what was right.

You can worship your God.. possibly money?.. and I will worship mine.

I will continue to support Chik-Fila. more now that ever!

• HP in Dixie Atlanta, GA
    July 20, 2012 7:18 p.m.

They will deny it up and down, but homosensuals are the most bigoted group in the country.

• wforbush St Louis, MO
    July 20, 2012 7:18 p.m.

I support Chic-Fil-A. Anyone can express their personal opinion, even if they are the president/CEO of their company. I defend that marriage is between one man and one woman. It has been since the dawn of time and will be until the end of time. Current opinion, practice and belief doesn't change what is right and wrong. I have gay friends and work with them as well. They are all good people. I disagree with their lifestyle choice.

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    July 20, 2012 7:04 p.m.

He's free to take whatever position he wants. I'm free to take my business elsewhere. What's the big deal?

• jzer Haworth, OK
    July 20, 2012 7:03 p.m.

You're right, Windsor, the next move for the pro gay marriage crowd appears to be monitoring religious media, from individual denominations, and then doing all they can to harass those religions into shutting up about any beliefs that run contrary to the LGBT communities' goals.

Also, the mayor of Boston made himself sound totally incompetent. Like many other gay supporters, he is inclusive.... towards anyone who believes the same way he does. It's laughable!

• donn layton, UT
    July 20, 2012 6:59 p.m.

RE: Windsor, Support for Traditional Marriage was spoken or written about in the LDS magazine The Ensign, or in The Church News. True,

"For example when a woman marries, the law binds her to her husband as long as he is alive. But if he dies, the laws of marriage no longer apply to her. So while her husband is alive, she would be committing ADULTERY if she married another man. But if her husband dies, she is free from that law and does not commit adultery when she remarries."(Romans 7: 3-4) Same for a man he cannot remarry (polygamy)unless she dies.

• Tiger5 Cache county, USA
    July 20, 2012 6:40 p.m.

Chick fa lay, please come to Oregon!

• Ridgely Magna, UT
    July 20, 2012 6:21 p.m.

This is not simply a gay marriage issue. Chick Fil A has poured millions (2 Million in 2009 alone, etc.) into virulently anti-gay groups (and some certified hate groups) like the Family Research Council, Focus on the Family, the Eagle Forum and so on, and has even funded reparative therapy groups like Exodus International. The indignant "I'm just a simple pro-marriage and pro-family kinda guy" stance of Chick Fil A's founder is just a smoke screen for a far more militant, extensive, and fortunately documented, anti-gay agenda.

It's no wonder his children and Chick Fil A's leadership are desperately trying to do damage control so they don't look like bigots. It reminds me of the dramatic image makeover, and sudden spurt of inclusion by Carl's Junior, after their equally anti-gay founder Carl Karcher died.

• jeanie orem, UT
    July 20, 2012 6:20 p.m.

Joey - "So while you are lauding this guy as a hero right now, I doubt most of you will feel the same when he comes out and says, "Mormons aren't Christians," or "All Mormons are going to hell."

I'll feel the same. We Mormons and Evangelicals will not agree on everything - strong words have gone back and forth from people on both sides - but where we agree we can support each other.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    July 20, 2012 6:20 p.m.

Many share his feelings and views.....many more than there are gay! So don't buy his chicken sandwich, many more will and more of them as a result of his forth coming comments. You can't hurt his chickfila business, after all he didn't build it...Obama did!

• Zona Zone Mesa, AZ
    July 20, 2012 6:14 p.m.

Eating at Chick-Fil-A tonight. Who's with me?

• Bill in Nebraska Maryville, MO
    July 20, 2012 6:12 p.m.

I heard through a rumor that the owner of Chick-fil-let is actually a Latter-Day Saint. I have no way of proving this and that is why I said rumor.

I also find it odd that because someone says they are against same-sex marriage that they are bigoted because of their stand. This is as far from the truth as it can be. The fact is that no matter what anyone says and Elder Packer and others leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints have stated is that marriage is defined as between man and woman. Whether you agree with that or not is your own principle. I was told once that if a member (LDS) is not ok with that and will not step in line that they need to get down on their knees until they do.

As for this he as far as I know he serves everyone who comes into his fast food places. He will take the money of a gay/lesbian person just as he will from a heterolsexual. He will hire a gay person but he doesn't have to agree with them.

• mcdugall Layton, UT
    July 20, 2012 6:04 p.m.

I find it offensive that our government recognizes any marriage, regardless of the sex of the individuals involved. The government needs to remove itself from the marriage licensing business and issue everyone who has a marriage license a civil union license. If someone wants a marriage certificate they can seek that document from their respected religious organization. The government needs to be less involved in individuals lives and give everyone equal rights.

• Eric Samuelsen Provo, UT
    July 20, 2012 5:59 p.m.

Didn't like their chicken before, don't like it now.

• Uncle Charles Where freedom and liberty reign, utah
    July 20, 2012 5:58 p.m.

Great for Mr. Cathy. He has his understanding of the gospel correct on this issue. I also applaud that he has his stores closed on Sunday.

I'll stop by one of his places soon.

Dear Joey K: you might want to study up on the gospel you claim to be a member of if you "strongly disagree" with his statements. He's spot on and is only echoing the teachings of Christ, the prophets and apostles.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    July 20, 2012 5:54 p.m.

This outfit is entitled to be as homophobic as it wants. But it does so based on religion, and any given one of 'em could easily be totally made up. It's a gamble either way. In salute, I shall drink a beer in the parking lot of a chick fil A today. And probably get something to eat.

• guswetrust Cebterville, Utah
    July 20, 2012 5:52 p.m.

I'll bet somewhere in that "one wife" marriage of his family, there is a gay child that hasn't come out yet. I never dreamed there would be in mine, but guess what? And they are the same great person I knew before. One day we will all know someone personally that is gay and we never had a clue. AND it is NOT the end of the world.

• Earl1066 Draper, UT
    July 20, 2012 5:48 p.m.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    July 20, 2012 5:44 p.m.

When you actively work against marriage, you are not pro-marriage.

Gay marriage promotes mongamy and gives parents to the unwanted children of 'traditional' families that put kids up for adoption.

FYI? The 'boycott' of Archie comics due to it's support of gay marriage? Those comics are SOLD OUT.

Starbucks support of gay marriage spiked their stocks, up.

LGBT are in every branch of civilization, across the world. Not just America.

Chick-Fil-A's days are numbered. Promting dual income Americans to boycott them.

And you all just cheered.

• Kiboo South Jordan, Utah
    July 20, 2012 5:38 p.m.

Let's see, they can call me a bigot (at least according to the Deseret News' "almighty" monitors), but I can't call them a cry baby. Go figure.

• drbarbiedpm GRAHAM, WA
    July 20, 2012 5:24 p.m.

Way to go, Mr. Cathy! It's nice to see someone actually speak the truth and not be afraid of how the world will react.

• Jil York, SC
    July 20, 2012 5:18 p.m.

You go Mr. Cathy! Stand your ground.

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    July 20, 2012 5:15 p.m.

Which is more likely to manifest itself?

The wrath of an imaginary deity, or,

The wrath of a sizeable number of Americans who don't think much of ignorant bigotry masquerading as morality?

My money is on the latter.

• Balan South Jordan, Utah
    July 20, 2012 5:12 p.m.

I am so tired of people claiming that support of traditional marriage is anti-gay. It makes no sense.

• Dadof5sons Montesano, WA
    July 20, 2012 5:06 p.m.

This just shows how tolerable The Left is they will tolerate anything till a person with a back bone speaks their mind and it is a opinion that they do not like then it is Oh your doing hate speech and they fain fake offense. Then they try and squash the first amendment because they don't like what they heard.

• Random Redlands, CA
    July 20, 2012 5:01 p.m.

And yet, when companies that come out (no pun intended) and say Kumbaya, everyone has the same rights, people cheer and say yay. Why do they get to stand their moral ground but I don't?

• Leo Femedlers El Paso, TX
    July 20, 2012 5:00 p.m.

To Mr. X...

• Joey K Sandy, UT
    July 20, 2012 4:59 p.m.

I find it funny that many LDS people, (including my mom), are so supportive and effusive in their praise of the Chic-Fil-A owner. This is why politics makes strange bedfellows. While many LDS people agree with his comments, (I'm LDS but I strongly disagree), they should remember that it is the same southern Evangelical supporters who hate the Mormon church. Yes, they may act like they are on our side now, but remember 6 months ago Rick Perry's pastor saying Mitt belonged to a cult? These religious evangelicals have persecuted the Mormons much more than the "liberal media," who many of you posting comments have criticized. Most of the people who say they would never vote for a Mormon under any circumstances come from Evangelical Christian churches in the south and midwest.

• windsor City, Ut
    July 20, 2012 4:42 p.m.

I thought if kind of strange that people got so upset and offended at a story in The Baptist Press. Of course they are going to talk about religious things.--in the Baptist Press.

It would be like the country at large being terribly upset and offended if the Book of Mormon, or missionaries, or Joseph Smith, or God, or Jesus, OR SUPPORT FOR TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE was spoken or written about in the LDS magazine The Ensign, or in The Church News.

In fact, that is what many non-believers are always suggesting believers do: Keep your religious views to yourself and talk about them only with other like-minded individuals who want to hear what you have to say.

Seems to me that was just what Mr. Cathy was doing--answering questions about and talking about his beliefs and views--in a religious publication.

• SoCalChris Riverside, CA
    July 20, 2012 4:42 p.m.

The mayor of Boston is showing how "inclusive" he is by excluding Chick-fil-A from his city. So typical.

• Ballplayer Spanish Fork, UT
    July 20, 2012 4:36 p.m.

The Mayor of Boston has every right to disagree with the CEO of Chick-fil-A, but if he tries to deny a franchise owner the right to open in Boston, he's facing constitutional issues of his own. The CEO didn't say he wouldn't serve gays. He didn't even say he wouldn't hire them (though I doubt he would if an openly gay person applied). All he did was express his religious belief. Now a government authority (mayor) is imposing a religious test for doing business in his town. If I were his one of his constituents, I would not be happy about that. I think I'll avoid Boston this week and go to Chick-Fil-A for dinner.

• Schwa South Jordan, UT
    July 20, 2012 3:58 p.m.

The Chik-Fil-A guy was using his Constitutionally protected rights to free speech, and good for him.

The media also uses their Constitutionally protected rights to free speech, and good for them.

You can't accuse the media of trying to stifle someone's speech, by simply using their own speech. Otherwise you are trying to stifle the speech of media.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 20, 2012 3:58 p.m.

Yay for chick fil a! I love them and will happily give them even more of my business. Keep up the good work guys!

• awsomeron Waianae, HI
    July 20, 2012 3:55 p.m.

In Business you have to serve everyone and everyone has to have an equal chance at employment. I am sure Chick-fil-A has some Gay Managers employees and business owners some where weather they are out or not. I do wounder if taking a stand of this nature is the best descison they could have made. Unless their trying for the Homophobe Business in the South. Time will tell and we will see.

However making the stand they have a right to do and if that what they want to do good for them.

Remember Jesus loves everyone.

Side Note. My Daughter left for her Mission Yesterday. It is a Mini Mission for the Week End but it is still a Mission, My Daughter having health issues this may be the best we and she can do.

This business about coming down on people because they are Not Just Like You in all ways. Is somewhat judgemental behavior and God says Not To Judge.

Now Gods Judgement against us for allowing Abortion which is Murder 1 with the exception of saving the Mothers Life. That might come to bite us. But a few married gays in the population?

• oldschool Farmington, UT
    July 20, 2012 3:53 p.m.

I have never eaten at a Chick-fil-A. That's about to change.

• Hoosier87 American Fork, UT
    July 20, 2012 3:52 p.m.

I'm not sure what the President of Chick-fil-A was thinking making a comment about family and supporting traditional marriage. It's not like 60% of Americans don't agree with him. How dare he say what most of us think!

I'm getting sick and tired of liberalism.

I'm going to Chick-fil-A tonight...

• ExecutorIoh West Jordan, UT
    July 20, 2012 3:46 p.m.

Chick-fil-a just earned a lot of respect and business in my book.

• awsomeron Waianae, HI
    July 20, 2012 3:35 p.m.

I have always been a great fan of the owners of this chain because their stores are CLOSED ON SUNDAY evan the ones in the Mall. I have not had a Chick-fil-A Sandwish since 1988 because they do not have stores where I live. However when i lived in Phoenix I did go to Metro Center and buy their food. Of course I am much more concerned about God bringing his judgement against us over Abortion then I am over Gay marriage. Gay Marriage is what it is and I am not going to Vote for it but on the other hand I am not going into the street over it either. If it quietly walks into my chapel I am going to go shake hands and welcome them.

If the Chain CEO wants to make a statement against Gay Marriage the he is entitled to this is America. One the other hand the Gay People don''t have to buy the Chains Food. The people laughing most about this is the Gay People out or not that work for the chain. Chick-fil-A being closed on Sunday has always taken a stand. Good for them.

• andrewute1 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 20, 2012 3:30 p.m.

Chick-Fil-A will be getting even more of my business now. Thank you for taking a stand, and stepping up against the liberal media. I think they just became my favorite fast food joint.

• Mr.Glass Salt Lake City, UT
    July 20, 2012 3:24 p.m.

I'm so tired people claiming that pro-gay marriage is anti-family. It makes zero sense.