Faith

A conversation with Kirby Heyborne (+video)

Comments

• JRJ Pocatello, ID
    July 17, 2012 8:24 p.m.

Good ole Kirby. He's become an icon among LDS movie goers. We sort of expect to see him in any and all upcoming movies. Thanks for the good example.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    July 16, 2012 11:26 p.m.

It appears that some Mormons view beer as evil, when in reality it is a beverage that we are asked not to indulge in. However, we also do not judge beer drinkers who are not members of the Church, do we? We shouldn't, at any rate. It's like the old joke that the pregnant Mormon teenage girl, in response to her father's question whether she plans on marrying the father, says: "Oh, I could never do that. Every once in a while he has a beer." (indicating that some Mormons consider pre-marital sex as not all that bad, but Word of Wisdom transgressions are the embodiment of evil). That despite prophets throughout the Old Testament drinking wine and Jesus creating wine out of water (and may have imbibed, since the Word of Wisdom was a 20th century commandment and was never doctrinal in Biblical times).

So heaven help someone that owns a grocery store that stocks beer, or owns a franchise restaurant like Chili's or Applebee's that has a bar who is a member of the Church.

• kathyn Salt Lake City, UT
    July 16, 2012 10:03 p.m.

I have really enjoyed Heyborne's work and hope to see more. He's a talented young man and kudos to him for having a good career that pays the bills. To criticize him for a commercial is petty, IMHO. Who he is in his real life is what I respect. He sounds like a great husband, father and church servant. I hope to see him in more movies soon.

• KJB1 Eugene, OR
    July 16, 2012 7:59 p.m.

I read another interview with Kirby where he said that he was able to support his family for six months thanks to that beer ad. Unless you're willing to pay his bills for him, stop judging and let the guy earn his living.

• procuradorfiscal Tooele, UT
    July 16, 2012 7:56 p.m.

Re: "Yeah what ever!"

So, honest work is selling oneself out?

I suppose you also condemn the young family man that works at 7-11, ringing up 12-packs to pay his way through college, or the young mom that delivers pizzas on weekend evenings to make ends meet?

If not, you're just blathering.

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    July 16, 2012 7:36 p.m.

Oh darn, I usually don't know about people doing beer commercials because I don't watch TV (ever), and now I know because of comments.

• Dadof5sons Montesano, WA
    July 16, 2012 4:35 p.m.

Yeah what ever! It seams that the church up holds famous people for some dumb reason. Those that play sports and for go a mission or this guy who does Beer adds. If he was so talented he would have work coming left and right and not have to sell himself out!

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    July 16, 2012 3:51 p.m.

I laugh at people who judge him because he did a beer commercial. I choose not to judge anybody.

He sounds like a great guy and wish him the best in a tough occupation.

• Rodgers Sandy, UT
    July 16, 2012 2:04 p.m.

Of course it's all about the money and supporting family. How many "faithful" have played baseball or football as a profession to earn a living? Isn't playing sports on Sunday looked down upon too by the church?

• muffintop Layton, UT
    July 16, 2012 1:22 p.m.

That is my thought exactly TripleCrown. If he is a guy who stands up for his convictions - as the above LBone states--- then why does he do commercials promoting beer?? It doesn't make sense to me.

• TripleCrown Santa Ana, CA
    July 16, 2012 12:40 p.m.

Interesting article about a very talented LDS guy. The question I can't figure out: why the beer commercial?!

• mightymite DRAPER, UT
    July 16, 2012 11:58 a.m.

How faith promoting this is. Do people hunt out these stories or do they come to the denews. People just love telling how good of a mormon they are? Is this what religion ia all about?

• NT Springville, UT
    July 16, 2012 11:19 a.m.

Nice article. Stay true, Kirby! Too bad Will Swenson's standards weren't as grounded as yours.

• Lbone Salt Lake City, UT
    July 16, 2012 10:58 a.m.

So nice to read about a relatively famous Latter-day Saint who stands up for his convictions. Very refreshing, delightful article!

• dotGone Puyallup, WA
    July 16, 2012 8:17 a.m.

I have friends who are Kirby fans. Now I will be too! This was an uplifting read for a Monday Morning! Thanks