Faith

Criticism follows Businessweek cover on Mormon Church finances

Looking closely at LDS Church businesses, finances

Comments

• RFLASH Salt Lake City, UT
    July 26, 2012 10:52 a.m.

The Church is as guilty as anyone in using the media for their own porposes and depending on your point of view, they distort things. They want to be the good guys all the time and they also choose who will be the bad guys, such as gay people and they will go to great lengths to portray that! So, when they get portrayed as the bad guy, it isn't so much fun, is it. They dish it out pretty good sometimes. Having said that, I think that the Church has done very well in the financial area. They have a fantastic welfare system and think about all the church buildings they maintain. They do a lot of good. I would just say that they shouldn't use their resources for political gain. It isn't right for them to get a tax exempt status when they are doing that. There is a reason for separation ofstate and religion. I would say that I wish them well. Hopefully they can continue to reach out and help a lot more people.They should do an article to let people know about what they do accomplish.

• RFLASH Salt Lake City, UT
    July 26, 2012 9:28 a.m.

I guess we are all guilty of this kind of thing once in a while. We are going to give our point of view. The LDS Church does it also. Just ask any gay person about it. They use the media, as much as anyone, to manipulate and lead people into thinking what they want. Often, it is far from the truth. Then they fall back on the right to religion and they act like they are being picked on. For example: They speak of Eternal Families and sacred marriages, and at the same time portray gay people as a threat to their families. They have portrayed us in many ways,and attacked our lives and our integrity and put forth many ideas that simply are not true.Despite imperfections, I do believe that they try to use their money and resources to benefit members and others. I would say to leave it alone. Their actions speak plenty. I think that we should say thanks. I, personaly, have seen so much that they have done to help others. We dwell so much on the negative, and in this case, the LDS Church has done so much good.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    July 19, 2012 1:01 p.m.

@Jac0m
    Provo, UT
    I wonder where LDSLiberal is on this board?

3:12 p.m. July 17, 2012

===========

Not much to say ---

City Creek Mall is a HUGE disappointment to me as a Latter-Day Saint.

It symbolizes materialism and the excesses of extreme wealth – not humanitarianism or Salvation.

There used to be a Pioneer cemetery on that very sight –
    To me, much more fitting to us as a people than some materialistic mega-mall.
    Life – Death – the Here-after, of the very same Pioneer’s who sacrificed, built and established this Valley.

However, I might add perception means everything.

I re-call back in the 1960’s when a prominent Soviet official visited Salt Lake City.
    The only comment he made was noticing the statue of Brigham Young on the corner of State and Main was pointing at Zion 1st National Bank.

I cry.
    I fear we are losing the Eternal perspective,
    And the perception to the World is telling as to where we are headed….

• T-KOR TRACY, CA
    July 17, 2012 7:00 p.m.

Now it starts again, the LDS Church is in the News. As a member I have heard and seen this before, many times. From now till November many will want to know more about the church and sadly some will fall away due to a weak Testamony of the Lord Jesus Christ. I hope we can all endure this.

• leonard Oakley, ID
    July 17, 2012 4:38 p.m.

The Lord is in charge -- not Business Week

• Jac0m Provo, UT
    July 17, 2012 3:12 p.m.

I wonder where LDSLiberal is on this board?

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    July 17, 2012 11:10 a.m.

Why would the City Creek money have gone to charity?

• JM Lehi, UT
    July 17, 2012 9:56 a.m.

Rick Edmonds says "I thought we were past ridiculing sacred images of other faiths...I doubt the story is as out of whack as the cover..."

Actually, the article turned out to be just as out of whack as the cover. The author seems to have lifted directly from anti-Mormon sources, quoting their manipulated, dishonest, numbers which are intentionally misleading (as anti-Mormons tend to be).

If Businessweek had goodwill rather than malice they would honestly examine amounts of money, hours, etc, per capita, donated to bettering lives. IF they did this they would find what others have, that Mormons are among the most charitable of people in the world. Instead they try to create ugly stereotypes by manipulating numbers and information- like other anti-Mormons (their tactics include: leaving out major donations (fast offerings, service hours, etc, etc), comparing a single fund to estimated businesses, properties etc that we own etc, and count that as income, etc).

• SammyB Provo, UT
    July 17, 2012 9:24 a.m.

The LDS Church leaders are not thin skinned and almost never respond to criticism. This was a very rare exception and is explained. The article is full of inaccuracies. There is no fair minded and honest person out there who has studied the subject who does not know that there was malicious intent behind this article...period.

• John C. C. Payson, UT
    July 17, 2012 12:15 a.m.

I agree with SuziQ.

The money the Church receives from donations and from its enterprises is mostly sent right back out for both the spiritual and physical welfare of others. It pleases me that the leadership prudently invests some for long-term security.

Remember that Jesus in his mortal ministry had a "purse" carried by his apostles, and that He blessed others with both physical and spiritual healing.

If anyone knows where The Church of Jesus Christ spends money selfishly they are welcome to speak up, but my long experience with scouting, welfare farms, canneries, temples, the MTC, and as a ward clerk tells me it's a waste of time. I love what the Church teaches about unselfishness and thrift, about sacrificing anything that is needed to help others.

We don't "deserve" our riches any more than the poor deserve their poverty. Let's not judge like that. Just show God our gratitude by passing it on. Enjoy finding new ways to give and serve. Riches and talents make one happy only when they're shared.

When some criticize the Church, just ask yourself if you, personally, are as prepared to face it as it is.

• LRB NY, NY
    July 16, 2012 11:33 p.m.

Some of this is just sensationalism to sell magazines--I remember the New Yorker Cover depicting the Obama's as terrorists and black panthers. Caused a furor and was all the talk for a few days. Some though is just prejudice. In places where there are few Mormons all sorts of misconceptions and contradictions are rife.

Romney's decision to downplay his faith doesn't help educate people. There is an article in The Atlantic by Walter Kirn who was an LSD member for only a few years when a teenager but it is a blistering criticism of the the casual ignorance he sees as rampant.

• SuziQ Springville, UT
    July 16, 2012 5:26 p.m.

Perhaps it does not occur to others that the vast amount of money that is collected and disseminated by the Mormon Church is not to make anyone rich but is rather to pay for buildings (both construction and maintenance), help educate its members (both religiously and secularly), and to provide for welfare and self-suffiency of people all over the world. No one is filling their pockets with the money because no one is paid in their callings. A constant of a 10% donation is asked of each faithful member. If you want to give more, you need to specify what program it is to go to: education of those in 3rd world countries, missionary work, welfare, humanitarian aid, etc. I personally would rather give my money to a charitable organization who knows how to help all of mankind than to our government who seems inclined to waste and always need more without really significantly improving the lot of my fellow man. I am tired of the cynics thinking everyone is as self-centered and selfish as they are. Some of us actually care about others and don't mind sharing what we have. We are content with life.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    July 16, 2012 4:33 p.m.

I loved the article. Well done, Business Week.

• grammieinthemountains Pine Grove, CA
    July 16, 2012 2:22 p.m.

The world is a Worldly Place, where business's will distort truth to make the very same money that they "THINK" the church makes. Our church does not make money in a business sense, we just support it as we should to provide for the needs of the people that work for free and pay their own way if able, to provide buildings, disaster relief and many other causes. But headlines that tease and distort will earn the big bucks so anything goes. Shame on the board who chose this cover and the story that was printed.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    July 16, 2012 1:53 p.m.

where's the story on the Qur'an which is a part of obama past? it's okay to bash Mormons but are afraid to say anything about islam.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 16, 2012 10:42 a.m.

@Gr8Dane
    "And I certainly have had my share of disappointments in life, but I would cast my lot with people of faith (no matter what religion) than the humanist left anytime. They're selfish narcissists at the core."

As if someone who is disparaging other peoples' beliefs isn't narcissistic? Fact is New Hampshire has the lowest crime rate in America while having the highest percentage of atheists. Second place in both categories is Vermont. Third place in both categories is Maine. Coincidence? Actually yes it sort of is, if you look at the 50 states as a whole there really isn't any correlation between religiosity and crime rates. So this assertion that humanists don't care? Seems more based on adherence to standards your own group sets. Based on universal standards of law... they do just fine.

@Utahbluedevil
    "From the article, it states that the new mall cost 3x what the church has done in charitable giving over the last 25 years. It may be a true stat. "

It's 3x what the church has self-reported its humanitarian aid contributions have been over the past 25 years. That doesn't include all church based charitable giving however.

• ldsdaniel San Diego, CA
    July 16, 2012 10:07 a.m.

I am a faithful Latter-day Saint (one of those people who try to veer away from the nickname, Mormon) who love the church deeply and dearly - I can't say more of how much I revere church history and deem all of the sacred restoration truths as pearl of great price to me.

Having said that, I find the cover amusing. I wish I can tell Mike (I used to know him pretty well, the Purdys were my neighbors) that the reason for this cover is NOT to make fun of the Saints or our religion or anything like that because it's obviously caricature.

Which also mean that these people who published this magazine KNOW that Mormons (or LDS) are people with a good sense of humor.

I am NOT offended by the story and feel very strongly that EVEN Joseph Smith might find it humorous and may just walk away feeling that it was more of a compliment than anything else.

IN FACT, because this is so obviously a caricature, it may even get people asking about what that is REALLY all about. haha

• Aarius Sandy, Utah
    July 16, 2012 3:14 a.m.

On 06 April 1830,the Church was organized with but six members and the rest of the world was not aware. The Lord's true Church was restored with a "whisper". Today over 14 million have heard that whisper that very same "still small voice", and concerning truth a modern day Apostle of the Lord wrote: "In human affairs, erroneous and unchallenged assertions sometimes assume an undeserved aura of truth. While a response to this hopelessness may not create conviction in disbelievers, it can bolster believers against the silent erosion of their own convictions." Elder Neal A. Maxwell (Ensign, May 1983, p. 9.) As the "world" puts us under a microscope we might remember... "persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame, but the truth of God will go forth boldly nobly, and independent, till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till the purposes of God shall be accomplished, and the Great Jehovah shall say the work is done" For me it is enough to bow my head in silent prayer and reflect in my heart the hymn, "Be still my soul".

• New to Utah PAYSON, UT
    July 15, 2012 11:52 a.m.

Lawrence O'Donnell the ultra liberal firebrand on MSNBC started the "mormon bashing" with his bigoted statement about Joseph Smith. Howard Bryant again a very liberal columnist for ESPN next tried to tar the LDS church with Penn State and Jerry Sandusky. Now we have Bloomburg's Business Week doing the hatched job. I have lived in liberal land and expect much more trash and bias as the political season heats up because the left is going to use smash mouth tactics to destroy Mitt Romney and the Chicago group running Obama's campaign will use extreme negativity to win.

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    July 15, 2012 8:50 a.m.

For those calling for boycotting BusinessWeek and it's sponsors and claiming how biased and hurtful the article was:

1: The article was full of facts and interview questions from legit sources. I don't believe there were any 'lies' that weren't substantiated with some level of evidence. And the church didn't dispute what they said ... they just made sure the public knows it's a 'means to an end'. I don't know how some businesses, such as the new mall, reach the end but spin it any way you want.

2: Nobody was complaining when BusinessWeek published an article about Mormon's producing great business leaders a few months back. In fact the DNews wrote about it, and the comments were full of favorable posts. Seemed like a positive for Romney, right?

3: For those calling BusinessWeek biased and slanted ... please re-read DNews and open your eyes a bit. All writers and journalists are biased. If you think for one second this paper doesn't push it's own agenda (A means to an end ... as the Church stated about it's businesses including DNews), then you have surrendered your conscious elsewhere.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    July 14, 2012 9:24 p.m.

Really folks... did you read the article. If you did, what was the distortion they made? What numbers did they report that you would like to refute? Are you really all so thin skinned that any review of the church that isn't glowing make you jump to insulting the writer. If you have numbers to disavow what was written, present them.

The fact is the church - my church - doesn't release any financial data. It did while my grandfather was Prophet. That all changed with David O McKay. There is nothing illegal, or wrong with not publishing the numbers... many faiths don't make an accounting of their expenses and earnings. We have nothing to hide...

Stop taking questions as insults. I highly doubt there is anything wrong with our churches finances. But understand that those on the outside will raise questions, as they should to every religion that acts as stewards of sacred funds. We should all be diligent that funds are spent for the purpose that were donated... to all faiths.

• maximum Phoenix, AZ
    July 14, 2012 1:58 p.m.

I thought Business Week was supposed to be a reputable magazine. This makes it look like a cheap tabloid.

• Rick LT GLENDALE, AZ
    July 14, 2012 12:40 p.m.

It is what would be expected from a radical Dem-Lib like Bloomberg who's all-in for Obama, to the point of damaging Romney via the back-door through his Church affiliation.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 14, 2012 12:06 p.m.

@Lifelong Republican

Romney and the LDS church simply need to stop apologizing for being wealthy..."we are an example of what happens when you are obedient to the Lord and use his money for doing good"

----------

I didn't know the GOAL of the LDS church was to become wealthy. If it is then it is a for profit organization and thus should not enjoy tax exempt status.

As far as Romney all he has to do is follow his fathers advice and release his last 12 years tax returns. Is he a tax dodger with accounts he had in Bermuda, the Cayman Island, and Switzerland? Isn't it the same demands made by Republicans during the primaries?

• Terah San Luis Obispo CA, 00
    July 14, 2012 11:07 a.m.

The sad consequence of Bloomberg's and Winter's bright yellow journalism is that their credibility is gone. Forevermore, I'll question the accuracy of ANYTHING they print, as will myriad others. "A lie is not true simply because someone believes it to be true. Nor does a lie become truth through repetition."

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    July 14, 2012 11:04 a.m.

Bloomberg's cover illustration was a big blunder exposing themselves as working for the Obama campaign. There can be no other explanation for such insulting ridiculing bigotry.

• Wastintime Los Angeles, CA
    July 14, 2012 10:01 a.m.

For me, one of the most questionable entities the Church owns is Deseret News. The position of the Church is political neutrality yet very clearly Deseret News has staked out a conservative position, promoting Republican candidates etc.

I could understand the Church providing articles for a newspaper to print, but that is different than owning the paper, pushing a conservative agenda and claiming political neutrality.

• woolybruce Idaho Falls, ID
    July 14, 2012 9:36 a.m.

It is a bit naive to think that after a religious organization invested in such things as Prop 8 and City Creek Mall focused on wealthy elite shopping that someone in the media wasn't going to point out the seeming discrepancies. With regard for Missionary Work someone in the Church's Missionary Department and someone in the Church's PR's Department should take this article to heart. For the last three decades (well before Prop 8 and City Creek Mall) I have listened to similar grumblings from well meaning Christians that choose to send meager church funds to humanitarian causes rather than fixing or expanding worn out church buildings, while watching the LDS Church build new buildings on almost every block in Utah.

This article while being disproportionate, is a clear warning shot of the PR debacle that both Prop 8 and City Creek Mall have been. An astute organization would not whine with a persecution complex about the article's unfairness, rather it would actually address the fundamental problems that are at the foundation of the article.

• donn layton, UT
    July 14, 2012 8:51 a.m.

RE: JM ,The great wealth of the Mormon Church is becoming very apparent. Neil Morgan, “Business Esquire“, August 1962).The Mormon leaders might do well to consider the which was made by Jesus” “My Kngdom is Not of this world…(John 18:30). The Bible does not say anything about Jesus trying to build a temporal kingdom or manage a large business, instead ,it says that he had to place to lay his head.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    July 14, 2012 8:22 a.m.

Odd questions always arise from the lack of information. Honestly this would all go away if there were just a little transparency into the churches finances. I do find it odd that these are held behind a cloak of secrecy. I do not believe for one second that there is anything going on with the churches finances that could not withstand any level of inspection.

So this cloak of secrecy is odd to me, and largely unnecessary. From the article, it states that the new mall cost 3x what the church has done in charitable giving over the last 25 years. It may be a true stat. But I am pretty sure it isn't an inclusive stat, nor representative.

I don't want the church boasting of its finances. I don't think we need to be comparing religion to religion, particularly based on finances.

But reality is that secrecy breeds questions... and no one should be surprised that any lack of transparency will foster harsh questions to be raised. The church should have no issues responding to questions about its secular activities, as it should have nothing to hide, and should hide nothing.

• Bro.D Cornelius, Oregon
    July 14, 2012 7:44 a.m.

So many are calling for the church to be more transparent with it's money and I agree with President Hinkley....this is the Church of Jesus Christ, it is not a for profit business, It is the Lords property, the Lord's purse. The only shareholder of the church is the Lord Himself....he is the only one who "owns" the church and therefore the only one we as members have to answer to when it comes to where church finances are spent.

Non members and detractors are always talking about how "rich" the church is. The church is solvent because the Lords people are taught to get their houses in order, stay out of debt, be financially responsible and give the Lord what is His (tithing) to build up the Kingdom of God. Because of this the church is blessed with much so it can do much good in the world.

• Gr8Dane Tremonton, UT
    July 14, 2012 6:31 a.m.

The whole premise of the article; that churches somehow should not be involved in any business dealings, is preposterous. We are no longer an agrarian based economy. It costs money to build buildings, to buy land for them, to furnish them, to keep utilites on, to publish curricula, to provide traditional charity-based services... Churches have to (horrors!) have bank accounts to pay for these things. They can't pay for them with chickens.

The "progressive" humanist left in this country are becoming increasingly anti-religion (they always were). Humanism abounds. They will get worse, not better in this regard as it's a race to the bottom.

Common decency and manners are out the window if you get in the path of their political agenda. As Mitt Romney is finding out. As Christ said, "By their fruits ye shall know them."

Speaking as a lifelong member of the LDS church, I'm not perfect. And I certainly have had my share of disappointments in life, but I would cast my lot with people of faith (no matter what religion) than the humanist left anytime. They're selfish narcissists at the core.

• Outsider Looking In BOISE, ID
    July 14, 2012 2:29 a.m.

I just finished reading the article in BusinessWeek. As an active Mormon I didn't find it terribly unfair. Critical? Yes, but that is not a bad thing. We should respond to criticism not with a knee-jerk defense, and allege that the author must have it out for the Church. You can quibble with a few things, but the heart of the article is an invitation for us to constantly reevaluate the way we are conducting our affairs. We would be much better off if we stopped to think about what is being said, what impression we are leaving and whether there is another way. This kind of questioning is good and healthy, and helps keep us honest. Many of the responses in these comments simply exhibit a certain immaturity, as if someone had insulted your mother on the playground. Let's buck up, take it for what it is, and move on. And maybe we can improve as a result. The world is not out to get you, and BusinessWeek is not an instrument of the Devil. Let us make sure we are conducting our affairs in a manner that would make King Benjamin proud and move on.

• The Balloonatic Taylorsville, UT
    July 14, 2012 2:28 a.m.

It's obvious that this story is coming out to mock Mormons and make the Church sound greedy...because of the 2012 presidential election. Team Obama and its comrades, the Main Stream Media are doing all they can to "kill Romney."

• JM Lehi, UT
    July 14, 2012 1:10 a.m.

Anti-Mormon predecessors drove us from our homes with cannons (and many were killed by exposure). We settled where they hoped we wouldn’t be able to grow food. The survival plan: pray, work, educate, etc, and see if God would open windows in this great land that I love.

We started the first western University, and a newspaper, and what may be the world’s first mall- ZCMI, etc. And, while others were digging for gold in the surrounding mountains, Mormons made the desert blossom.

We rebuilt the mall, using only funds from businesses, and we still run America’s largest private University, etc. And, in our effort to help people better themselves, Mormons donate more of their time, money, etc, than almost any other group.

No one is getting rich off Church funds, but our blessings still seem to offend anti-Mormons, who repeatedly demand that we report everything to them. It’s none of their business what we do with our mall. The openhearted people already know that Mormons are doing far more good than the haters ever will… so the anti-Mormon is left only to dishonestly malign : )

• TheWiz41 Logan, UT
    July 13, 2012 11:51 p.m.

Given Romney's campaign and criticism of him, I'm not surprised at the timing of the Bloomberg article. However, this is to be expected with the Church being in the spotlight. It also provides a great missionary opportunity for Church members.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    July 13, 2012 11:46 p.m.

Once again proving that hate and extremism come from the left FAR more than the right.

• Bill in Nebraska Maryville, MO
    July 13, 2012 10:41 p.m.

The problem is that once it leaves your hands and is given to a member of the Bishopric or Branch Presidency it is no longer your money. When the leadership of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints stated from the beginning that no tithing money was used in the building of the mall then we have no reason to believe otherwise.

It is no ones business how the tithing money or other offerings/donations are used but those who are in authority to use it. Every six months each ward, branch and stake goes through a very thorough audit of its resources. What truthseeker and others don't understand is that more individuals are excommunicated because of misuse of funds that for any other reason.

I trust the leadership of the LDS Church because I know without any doubt that they have been called by the Lord Jesus Christ to administer and minister the affairs of the Church. If you don't believe it and you want an accounting schedule one with your Bishop. Guaranteed he will tell you exactly or close to what I just said.

This money belongs to the Lord.

• Full-on double rainbow Bluffdale, UT
    July 13, 2012 7:32 p.m.

@Red Headed Stranger
    If I had my own church I would be more than happy to let everyone know what me and Jesus were doing with their money.

• floridadan Palm Bay, Fl
    July 13, 2012 7:10 p.m.

There is NO honest journalism anymore !! Mabe they can next do a story about Jerimiah Wright and other mega-church pastors that are now multi-millionares from money taken from tithing.

• Disco Vega MoTown, CA
    July 13, 2012 6:52 p.m.

This article just shows how utterly bigoted and pathetic those in the media are. Anything that is attacked and vilified so vehemently deserves our attention. If the left despise it with such hatred, it must be right. You go Mo’s! I’m voting for Mitt no matter what the left dredges up…Mitt is right for America and our Free Society!

• BYUsuperfan PROVO, UT
    July 13, 2012 5:17 p.m.

Many people complain Businessweek got things wrong. On the other hand the church doesnt talk much about anything on its finances even when asked, which is their right. So that leaves a reporter on their own to try and get the best information they can thus they might get some things wrong or appear to quote critics to much but that is because they are the only ones talking. Sora a bit of a quandary for the magazine.

I think the question is a matter of focus and mission statement not how much money the church has or how they got it. An addition to my other post. Two billion for a mall at 5% interest a year equals $100,000,000 a year. I do think you can build a purdy nice homeless shelter for a million dollars. That means you could build 100 homeless shelters a year in a 100 different cities year in and year out forever. Or build 50 and use the rest to fund them. Again the question is focus of efforts in a world full of humatarian needs. Just saying.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    July 13, 2012 5:14 p.m.

The constant call for the LDS Church to release financial information usually comes from critics and from those who do not pay tithing. Personally, I don't believe that most of these people criticizing the Church for not fully releasing this information will be satisfied. The transparency would lead to uber-scrutiny by critics which could take up unnecessary time from Church members or leaders to respond, and the critics would never be satisfied and would only find more to criticize. It would be a win-lose situtation - win for the critics and lose for the Church. Of course, that is what the critics want. Don't think for a minute the Church leaders don't know this already.

• Montana Mormon Miles City, MT
    July 13, 2012 4:54 p.m.

I appreciate the supportive response of other religious leaders. It brings to mind these words spoken by then-presidential candidate John F. Kennedy: "I believe in an America . . . where religious liberty is so indivisible that an act against one church is treated as an act against all."

• Thinkman Provo, UT
    July 13, 2012 4:30 p.m.

JM,

How do you know that tithing funds and other donations given by LDS church members weren't used to build the mall in SLC?

That is the point about the need for the LDS church to be audited if it isn't transparent. Its members are owed an accounting of their hard earned money

• kishkumen American Fork, UT
    July 13, 2012 4:24 p.m.

I think the cover of the magazine does illustrate an interesting irony. After reading the article, I'm sure there are numerous inaccuracies. I encourage the LDS church to release comprehensive information about their finances to correct the misinformation in these articles. It is silly to tell a journalist that you got it wrong without telling them what the accurate numbers actually are.

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    July 13, 2012 3:47 p.m.

To E:

re: "I'm wondering how many people who are criticizing the magazine for its tasteless cover actually took a look at the article. It wasn't perfect; my main criticism is that it narrowly defined the charitable mission of the church. But it did attempt to be fair and informative."

There was no attempt to be fair or informative. This was a hit job and character assasination of the church and it's leaders. The author selected quotes to paint a picture that is neither accurate or fair minded. The quotes used and the points made were an attempt to paint the church and its leadership as materialistic money-mongers, and failed to provide any balance with the MOST IMPORTANT points on how the church resources are employed: to build chapels and temples, to support its vast missionary and family history effort, to promote and support education, and to support the family as the center of society.

I am ashamed to have ever subscribed to Business Weak. That was not journalism. It was a hit piece with a specific political agenda.

• Mark from Montana Aurora, CO
    July 13, 2012 3:34 p.m.

@ Don O

Business Week would never do an article like this on Islam because it would result in the author, Editor and staff going into hiding for the rest of their lives. A holy Jihad would be called for by the clerics and some misguided person would follow through on it.

The simplest approach is to not buy the magazine, plus call for a boycott of all advertisers in the issue. Create a backlash for the magazine and the next time, the Editors will consider their ethics for financial reasons if nothing else.

• Kimball Bakersfield, CA
    July 13, 2012 3:27 p.m.

I don't read Business Week but from the online reaction it looks like the author and the editor hit a home run. Readership and profits are up. It is of only minor concern that the story misrepresents and insults. That is a small price to pay. Mormons are one of the last groups that it is still alright to slander. I can't wait to see the followup piece. Journalism is a lot more fun now that complete facts and objectivity are out of the way.

• Beverly Eden, UT
    July 13, 2012 2:27 p.m.

Please quit the whining. You want the Church to be on the front page, but only under your conditions. Simply ask, "Was the information in the Business Week article truthful?" If there are false statement, go after the falsehood, but if it is just the fact that a bright light is shinning on the Church's finances, - grow up! The Church is getting exactly what is created by the limelight of American politics. As President Truman stated, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen."

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    July 13, 2012 2:02 p.m.

Latter-Day Saints are not as much concerned about the hurt that criticism does to us personally. We are concerned that the since Church does good, that perhaps agendas will be formed against the Church to hurt those charitable efforts and people's lives, particularly those who are less fortunate. For example, the anti-Mormon agenda that the Church is a profit-hungry corporation could lead to taxing the Church which would hurt the Church's ability to help the less-fortunate.

Asking us to have "thicker skin" just avoids the real issues.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    July 13, 2012 1:55 p.m.

@Blue
    "Did you actually _read_ the entire article? I did. It is well-researched and respectful.

The magazine cover got your attention, sure, but the article itself is thorough and professionally written."
    ---------------

The article used carefully selected "sound bites" so to speak. Speculation was treated as fact, and they didn't give hardly any credit to the Church's charity efforts as a whole.

They made it look like the Church is only a corporation interested in massive profits. They didn't focus much on the people whose lives are changed and helped through charitable efforts of the Church.

If the agenda is to reinforce the idea that the Church isn't interested in truly helping people, but is like a "fat cat" interested in massive profits, then you might say the article was well-written.

On the other hand, active Latter-Day Saints spend a lot of time, money and effort truly helping people who are less fortunate. Because of the disconnect between the article's agenda, and this reality, I but would label it a propoganda piece.

• JM Lehi, UT
    July 13, 2012 1:51 p.m.

The haters (anti-Mormons, DN activists etc)don't tell people that we Mormons were driven from our homes with cannons, and came to Utah, built the worlds first mall, started a paper, etc, all in the name of survival. We have done well, and that annoys some people. The mall needed a makeover, and it wasn't done with donations, it was done with money made from our businesses.

The LDS Church is focused on doing good in the world, and we are among the most charitable of people. So those who want to stir misunderstandings tend to try to manipulate numbers to make it look like we are all getting rich, but really, we seek to lead the world to Christ.

And that annoys some people....... : )

• Common Sense Czar Sandy, UT
    July 13, 2012 1:30 p.m.

@ terlds

"To all those who say to us members, "Get a thicker skin", what if this was against your church? Or your race? What would you do. To me it is bigotry no matter what religion, race, ability. There is good and bad in every person. Learn to love people for who they are, not for their religion, race, beliefs, etc."

I'm one of the "us members" you refer to. And I'll tell you again...you better get thicker skin because this is a mid-July attack...come the end of October this will look like a pro-LDS...pro-Mitt article. Sorry to have to be the voice of reality.

• E Sandy, UT
    July 13, 2012 1:19 p.m.

In my view, the best way to handle criticism of the church's finances is to be as transparent with them as most Christian denominations in this country are (the Catholics being a notable exception). Instead of criticizing the speculation and answering it with generalities, why not simply provide the information? Our secrecy only gives the impression, rightly or wrongly, that we have something to hide.

Look, I'm happy to pay tithing and support the church in other ways. But if we're really doing the Lord's work, and I believe we are, why not let the light shine on what we do?

• IndependentLiberal Salt Lake City, UT
    July 13, 2012 1:06 p.m.

terlds:
    “What if this was against your church?” If any organization ever questioned my church’s finances, I could produce in a day, weekly reporting of contributions as compared to our monthly and yearly budgets. Monthly progress reports, bi-annual full disclosure church business meeting where members and non-members are welcome to listen. (only members can vote on the secret ballet). Want to know minutia, we were $7.00 over on our postage budget, and several thousand over on out building and maintenance budget. I as a participating member and giver can’t even imagine anything less. Most Christians can’t…anything less than full disclosure, well, is evil! To quote a favorite old conservative, in both theology and finances “trust but verify”

• BYU Track Star Los Angeles, CA
    July 13, 2012 12:55 p.m.

I am sorely wanting to purchase the Bizness week Magazine to read the article on the flight up to Salt Lake today. I remember the Arizona Republic did a Forensic Financial Article on the the Church some 15 years ago. Gee, the last time I checked. Temple Square was still there. People, lighten up! Prehaps the Church needs to do a better job of telling it's Financial story. We are, after all in the big league now.

• dave Park City, UT
    July 13, 2012 12:48 p.m.

terlds,

" Learn to love people for who they are, not for their religion, race, beliefs, etc." Said the pot to the kettle.

Try being a non-mormon in Utah. Until then you will never understand. It seems those with the biggest persecution complex are in turn the biggest persecutors.

• terlds Ogden, UT
    July 13, 2012 12:30 p.m.

• m.g. scott LAYTON, UT
    July 13, 2012 12:18 p.m.

What is it with these people. You'd think that the people who work for "Business Week" would be as anxious for Romney to be elected President as the people who work at the Newsweeks and Time magazines want Obama to be re-elected. I mean, can any clear thinking person who writes about American business issues really think that the re-election of Obama is going to be good for American business??? And let's face it, this seems to be an article attempting to smear Romney by using his church. Otherwise it likely would not have been written or published. P.S. If Obama gets re-elected, Business Week will need to change their name to Socialist Week.

• justamacguy Manti, UT
    July 13, 2012 11:58 a.m.

Hmmm. Maybe the government ought to try running it's business branches like business.

• louie Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 13, 2012 11:58 a.m.

The church is fine in many respects. So why is there a persecution complex?

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    July 13, 2012 11:51 a.m.

I like DonO's question.

• Dave D Pocatello, ID
    July 13, 2012 11:45 a.m.

pmccombs,

Brilliant post. People can dismiss the article and "anti-Mormon" as much as they want. But to me, as an active Mormon, this stuff matters. The Church Newsroom came out with a statement, which said, in part, "The key to understanding the Church is to see it not as a worldwide corporation, but as millions of faithful members in thousands of congregations across the world following Christ and caring for each other and their neighbors." If this is truly the case, than we need to do a better job of it. Not only are there Latter-day Saints starving to death throughout the world, but our mission goes beyond helping only Latter-day Saints. I recommend reading "Working Toward Zion: Principles of the United Order for the Modern World" for those interested in the topic. In reality our Church should neither be capitalist or socialist. Our economic order is the Law of Consecration. Until we do better at living this law, the "world lieth in sin" (Doctrine and Covenants 49:20).

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    July 13, 2012 11:44 a.m.

** sigh **

While I question the taste of the cover art, I thought the Businessweek article itself was very well researched and fairly presented. The Church was given the opportunity to participate and apparently did. I would encourage anyone to read it and judge for themselves.

While I'm not LDS, I have had dealings with LDS businesses and they have nothing to apologize for. They are well-run and have principled managers. I wish the Church's Public Relations Department could be equally as well run. Instead of using this as an opportunity to teach, they have chosen to give the usual shrill angry response that suggests that religious bigotry is at the heart of the article. This does not serve the Church well. Doing some research on Church Businesses would.

The Businessweek article references AgReserve, an entity that I am familiar with. Does the Deseret News even know what they do? They help farmers, most of whom are not LDS get better yields from their land. This is about feeding the hungry for crying out loud. Go find out about them. Tell that story. It will serve you better than the usual rant on religious persecution.

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    July 13, 2012 11:34 a.m.

A person cannot be forced to join a church or to pay tithing or serve others.

A person, if he lives in the US can be forced to pay taxes, or penalty if you do not have health insurance.

The only institution that citizens of the US need fear is the government when it oversteps it's bounds as outlined in the US constitution.

• Thinkman Provo, UT
    July 13, 2012 11:11 a.m.

I care about where my tithing moneys went. We members of the church demand an accounting and not the pat on the head and assurance that all funds are used wisely.

We will know the funds are used wisely when we see just how much things cost.

The LDS church should probably be audited.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    July 13, 2012 11:01 a.m.

The article brings up an interesting element in our society. Media has power. The Church is very sensitive to possible misperceptions or misrepresentations the article might convey to those who read it. No doubt this is one reason it maintains ownership of DN. I think the gay community probably had similar feelings during the Prop 8 campaign.

• pmccombs Orem, UT
    July 13, 2012 10:41 a.m.

The cover picture is an unfortunate distraction because it taints the story and diverts useful discussion from an important topic: Is it possible to serve God by serving Mammon? Does the LDS Church, with its many business interests and heavily business-credentialed hierarchy, "serve" mammon in order to bless others? Is this what restored Christianity looks like in modern times? Why or why not?

I think that "outsiders" have a very particular view of the LDS Church as a capitalist business franchise church. The Church responds indignantly to articles like this one, but then doesn't proceed to offer anything more substantial than a protest and various "trust us" claims that all this secret money flying around is actually ideally beneficial for God's children. Most people wouldn't deny that the Church and its members are known for very visible charitable activities; but why the need (as an example) for an Enron-esque investment firm in the offing?

For those looking to evaluate Truth claims, these things matter. The Church needs to come down very clearly on what constitute just and godly economic practices, as other Churches have done. Is God really a capitalist like His church?

• ida-coug Pocatello, ID
    July 13, 2012 10:34 a.m.

Counter Intelligence @ 9:56

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! Probably the most intelligent comment made so far. May I add a big AMEN!!!

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    July 13, 2012 10:24 a.m.

If the church's finances are not transparent, the motives of the Businessweek journalists are very transparent. People will see this for what it is, a snarky attempt to "dis" Romney by "dissing" his church. No harm, no foul.

All you libs, go have a big gulp...oh, you can't, right? Bloomberg wouldn't like it.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 13, 2012 10:06 a.m.

@Arm of Orion
    "I don't see how employing a bunch of people to build and operate a mall could be anything but helping people"

I don't see how a bunch of people can say this spending by the church creates jobs and helps people and the economy while saying the stimulus didn't create jobs and hurt people and the economy.

@patriot
    "This is all to be expected and I think we are just getting started - Chicago style politics... the worst of the worst of America. "

As opposed to Romney who fundraises with the most well-known birther in the nation? The attacks on Obama's faith from conservatives who can't seem to figure out if they want to call him a radical muslim, an atheist, or a black liberation theologist? The blatant distortions and lies from death panels to Romney's flipflops on everything from immigration to student loans to his own business timeline?

• James Garrett Salt Lake City, UT
    July 13, 2012 9:59 a.m.

It's not just the church's business. It's all of Utah's business. Do you ever wonder why our public schools are ranked the worst in the country based upon per pupil funding? Think about how much money is given to the church that is never taxed. For us people that don't pay tithing, we are paying more to help the schools why you are helping build malls and temples. For you that are claiming persecution, lets open the books and then have a discussion. Yes, the church spent 1.5 billion to help the needy since 1985, but they spent that and more on a mall. Couldn't that money be better spent on homeless shelters instead of creating a few jobs for people selling $5,000 watches?

• BYUsuperfan PROVO, UT
    July 13, 2012 9:55 a.m.

Hummmmm let's see. 2 billion for a mall. If you take that invest it at 5% you get $100,000,000 a year. Let's say a starter home or habitat for humanity home costs $125,000. That would be 800 homes a year divided by 52 weeks you get over 15 homes a week, week in and week out forever fully paid for. Let's say it's only 1 billion so we get 8 homes a week forever. Now imagine what you could do overseas in poor countries. The problem is not the church dosn't do good work it does,, is there a better use for 2 billion dollars then a mall. A church has a different mission then to maximize profits.

• APG Draper, 00
    July 13, 2012 9:49 a.m.

When your only tool is a hammer, you assume everything is a nail. Apparently BusinessWeek can't fathom that a large institution with significant business holdings and competent leadership could apply these resources in a thoroughly altruistic way -- there must be something sinister behind the curtain at the Church. Those of us who have years of volunteer experience in the Church's many forms of Christian outreach have seen what BusinessWeek has failed/chosen not to understand about the motives of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

• Mom of Six Northern Utah, UT
    July 13, 2012 9:41 a.m.

@Esquire-
    "And for you who think the story is based in politics, get real."

Really...Does Business week explore the businesses of all faith's on a continual basis outside of an election year? Why the sudden interest in the LDS church? The church has been in existance know for 150 years and we are now just finally exploring this faith out of the general public's desire to know more? This piece would never have seen the light of day if Mitt Romney were not a member of the LDS church, to say otherwise is a bit naiive.

• Common Sense Czar Sandy, UT
    July 13, 2012 9:41 a.m.

This is tame compared to what will be coming as the election gets closer...buckle up and get some thick skin!!

• georgeman Kearns, UT
    July 13, 2012 9:35 a.m.

Funny how some people get so upset and others just laugh it off. I find the cover to be stupidly funny, and anyone who reads the article and takes it seriously, has major issues anyway.

Just keep doing the good work, and let the naysayers do what they do best.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    July 13, 2012 9:32 a.m.

For those that think that the Deseret News reports are biased, go to the BusinessWeek page that the article is and see the 100s of comments that are there. It is not just good people in Utah that see the bias in reporting in this article and especially the gross disrespect of the cover. Good people can see what is written in the article and others will read what is meant by the article and not know that members of the Church of Jesus Christ and their leaders are some of the good people of the world. The DN and their exceptional staff have such a load on their plate to ensure we get the best news coverage and pertains even to our local communities. The article is not written with journalistic integrity and is meant to shown the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the opposite light that it is in everyday. Politics and religion are blended into this article for a reason and it is not for enlightenment of the people who read the BusinessWeek article. It is for sensationalism and spreading non-truth that jeopardizes 150 years of doing what is right and true.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    July 13, 2012 9:07 a.m.

And for you who think the story is based in politics, get real.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    July 13, 2012 9:05 a.m.

I just read the article. Other than the sensational cover, the article itself seems pretty factual and straight-forward. I would be interested in a factual rebuttal, not the emotional wringing of hands of defensiveness that seems to be evident.

• Mom of Six Northern Utah, UT
    July 13, 2012 9:04 a.m.

Having worked for the temple department for few years, I was deeply humbled at how the General Authoriites treat tithing funds. They are considered sacred, and are used very carefully. The church takes great care in allotting these funds to care for specific needs. The article fails to separate the for-profit entity with the non-profit, by lumping them both together and distorting facts
    Ms. Winters has an axe to grind with her article, plain and simple. Since the journalist community can not seem to find much dirt on Mitt Romney, maybe they can invent some dirt on his religion....hmmmm?

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    July 13, 2012 9:03 a.m.

BusinessWeek isn't just betting on their article by itself, they are wanting the NBC, CBS, ABC, and Internet sites to be pushing their article in every news hour today and for the next week. They don't care if their message is not valid, they want the image in people's head that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints doesn't care for people. They want the image of the FLDS and cults in people's minds and thoughts. BusinessWeek didn't want the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to have a positive image as that would portray Mitt Romney, the one they are really attacking, as a good guy, since he has money he has earned. The magazine may print something that it was not the intent to show the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was doing something wrong with their money and their member's money, but that will be too late. People's minds have already been filled with this distasteful article, written for a political purpose, not an information article on the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is the mustard seed awry.

• jenrmc Fort Worth, TX
    July 13, 2012 9:02 a.m.

I also think this cover is hilarious. It is meant to be a satire on the First Vision and whether you like it or not, the Church is involved in secular business endeavors. If you don't like the portrayal on the cover, don't buy the magazine. Write letters to the publishers, etc. Please include in those letters logical reasons for your discontent and not just that it doesn't affect your impressions of the Church or it is an act worthy of condemnation. IMO, some of the reasons to be upset are the misquoted members and/or the fact that the Church encourages it's members to be financially stable and prepared. The Church's investments are merely an attempt at this. I personally don't think that a Church should be involved in real estate, etc. but do see how this is simply an outward attempt at financial stability and an attempt to provide for it's members and those around the world. Whether the attempt is to line people's pockets is not something I can comment on because I don't know. If I wrote in then I would request the information supporting these statements.

• Billy Bob Salt Lake City, UT
    July 13, 2012 9:00 a.m.

@livinlarge,

Its not the Church's fault that your under employed sister spent $350 on a shopping spree. City Creek provides jobs at a time when they are most needed. The Church, and the mall for that matter, cannot be blamed for your sister not living within her means. It is her own fault.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    July 13, 2012 8:50 a.m.

Is anyone really surprised by this? We all knew with Mitt in the race the far left would resort to their usual tactics of lies ,distortions and irreverence. Some people will buy into it - most won't but the beat goes on regardless. Desperate men do desperate things - my mission president used to say. He was right. Obama and his army of trolls are getting desperate since every other distortion they try blows up in their face like a hand grenade from Bain Capital to off shore bank accounts to Mitt's dog riding on top of the car. This is all to be expected and I think we are just getting started - Chicago style politics... the worst of the worst of America. All we can do is state the truth and decent people with common sense will understand... the rest will keep on with the garbage in and garbage out stuff.

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    July 13, 2012 8:35 a.m.

The LDS church is a big international tax exempt corporation business and it is therefore open to suspect, examination and critical interpretation. The Mormon religion is not synonymous with the church corporation that houses the religion.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    July 13, 2012 8:30 a.m.

Bloomberg and politics is the epitome of his news bias, even in this article about one of the most benevolent churches through practice, in the world. Religion and politics are used by many as needing to be separate, especially, Presidential politics. However, the Chicago baron and his minions don't see any problem with mixing and matching this kind of editorial comment in Businessweek. The Church statement and substantial summary of the history, philosophy and vision of LDS finances is explicit on what the Church does with the various types of finances, voluntary and business, that it manages and controls distributions, through legal and acceptable fiduciary practices for the past, present and future plans. These people don't want people of conviction in the world as those people can be run over by the politicians who want bland and non-voters to let them gain control by non-participating. The Church is active in humanitarian services throughout the world and members donate time, energy, talents and money for such causes. The members are first on the scene in many cases as they already have emergency plans for their neighborhoods, where they live. Ask the people in Katrina, Joplin, etc.

• JRJ Pocatello, ID
    July 13, 2012 8:27 a.m.

To Californian #1 - It would appear the Business Week has already supported their chosen candidate, wouldn't you think? Haven't read the story, don't plan to, won't even look at the cover. I long ago, as a LDS, chose my candidate and tuned out the media on either side. I have no interest in being lied to more and more and more, and it is pretty obvious that is what is happening. Any thinking American who can't see they are being manipulated by the media is a poor excuse for a citizen. The media made the decision to get Obama elected and that is just what they did. Americans knew nothing about him and neither did the news media, but they went right ahead and fed us what they had selected. As a Latter-day Saint, I completely trust the church to handle my donations with respect and honesty. As Pres. Hinckley so often said, the donations are a sacred trust and will be handled as such.

• Arm of Orion Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 13, 2012 8:24 a.m.

@Livinlarge I don't see how employing a bunch of people to build and operate a mall could be anything but helping people.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    July 13, 2012 8:17 a.m.

@ Blue6:42 a.m. July 13, 2012

"If the church was genuinely transparent about its finances this would not be an issue."

Agreed. If they have nothing to hide then why the Dick Cheney like secrecy? Isn't religion about illumination?

"The church has been pedal-to-the-metal lately to present itself to the world in the most favorable light possible. Their PR department has been operating at warp speed for at least a year"

In order to control the story they are furiously trying to spin or even create the story.

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    July 13, 2012 8:06 a.m.

"The lies on the cover and in the article are a direct affront to the LDS church."

• LivinLarge Bountiful, UT
    July 13, 2012 8:06 a.m.

A $1.2B spend on a merchandising mecca may not be the best way for a church to attract attention and admirers during a lengthy and deep recession. My "under-employed" sister called me for a loan to help pay her rent because she just spent $350 on a shopping spree at City Creek. I referred her to her church leader...

• Red Headed Stranger Billy Bobs, TX
    July 13, 2012 8:03 a.m.

Full-on double rainbow
    I have heard it said that sunlight is a great disinfectant. Why not be more transparent with the financials? Put the naysayers in their place right?

Bravo Full-on double rainbow. Please lead the way. Please feel free to publish your name, your address, your phone number, your gender, your financial records, your medical records, your educational transcripts, your arrest record and your work history for public perusal. After all, what do you have to hide?

The thing is, I've learned nothing the church does will satisfy critics. If we build a mall close to the temple, then we don't care about the poor. If we don't, then we have allowed a whole neighborhood where the church headquarters is located to fall apart. If we baptize for the dead we are insensitive and antisemitic. If we don't we are exclusionary and think everyone non mormon is going to "heck". If we proselytize, then we are pushy. If we don't we are secretive and insular. Etc., etc.

We aren't going away. We are helping Someone very important, and know-it-all critics aren't going to make us stop.

• ArizonaRed Prescott Valley, AZ
    July 13, 2012 7:33 a.m.

This is pure and simple political assassination. Good will be seen as bad and bad will be seen as good.....through eyes that have been deceived. This is how radical liberalism works.

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    July 13, 2012 7:08 a.m.

It's amazing that so called communication majors that can only achieve the level of writing agenda driven drivel to try and sell magazines in a time their industry is dying. You'd think they would be able to state that they have visited the church, interviewd those who have received assistance, interview volunteers, interview the finance part, state clearly what is for profit and what is non-profit.

Whatever happened to even a balanced article? Journalists use to go and get both sides of the story, even if they leaned more one way; at least they interviewed and did some research.

Now they just sit at home and google search whatever they need to satisfy the political agenda that they want to represent. This is why the industry is dying. That is why CNN is losing viewers, why the sltrib is dying, and why people distrust the media even more than they distrust congress.

• UTAH Bill Salt Lake City, UT
    July 13, 2012 7:01 a.m.

The angry responses to the cover may just be due to it hitting close to home. Step back a moment and ask yourselves, "How does the LDS church come off to outsiders?" When you do, you'll see it often does look like The Church highly values and rewards financial success. It's one of the most business-oriented churches in the world with (per member) holdings at record highs. Does this mean The Church is not true? No, of course not. And, the cover and the article linked to it do not go there.

• BobKjar Humble, TX
    July 13, 2012 6:49 a.m.

The lies on the cover and in the article are a direct affront to the LDS church. I hope church leaders will show some backbone for a change and challenge Bloomberg and BusinessWeek in a court of law. The media need to pay directly from their pocketbooks for these lies and misrepresentations.

• Midvaliean MIDVALE, UT
    July 13, 2012 6:46 a.m.

With little or NO transparency, the Church shouldn't be surprised when someone writes about it and they didn't like it. Why hide it if there is nothing to hide? Because it would bring great criticism on the church.

• baddog Cedar Rapids, IA
    July 13, 2012 6:24 a.m.

I appreciate that Church finances are watched over carefully. At the local unit level, there are at least twice-yearly audits to assure funds are spent and accounted for precisely.

The principle of self-reliance requires we watch over and use our resources as best we can. That is wrong? Perhaps if more practiced the same principle, poverty would recede.

For those siding with the anti-LDS, they shall have their reward.

• Gr8Dane Tremonton, UT
    July 13, 2012 5:53 a.m.

Painfully obvious even to the most dense of persons that the so-called "main-stream" media (does that exist anymore?) is in the tank for Barack Obama, and many of the major news outlets are owned by large, conglomerates who pay fealty to the liberal left. The White House sends out daily "talking points" to editors and major politician supporters, just so they can all get on the same page and use the same cooked-up buzz words and rhetoric.

So when Romney poses a serious threat to "their boy," Obama, then it's all hands on deck. Expect more smeary Mormon hit-pieces in the weeks ahead.

It's disgusting.

• DonO Draper, UT
    July 13, 2012 5:15 a.m.

And print publications wonder why their subscriptions and readership are in free-fall.This is a travesty that the Church should protest in the strongest of terms. Can you imagine what would happen if this same rag charactured Islam or the Jewish faith with the same irreverence and disregard for decency?

• Lifelong Republican Orem, UT
    July 13, 2012 2:48 a.m.

Romney and the LDS church simply need to stop apologizing for being wealthy. The church does much good with its money and so does Romney. They need to come out and say "we are an example of what happens when you are obedient to the Lord and use his money for doing good" or something to that effect.

The Dems want someone to apologize because they became wealthy?

Why?

• JM Lehi, UT
    July 13, 2012 1:10 a.m.

It is always interesting to see the hired, daily anti-Mormons dishonestly maligning, but it is sad when a mainstream media source has to stoop to such things to get their man re-elected. I'm an undecided voter, but, when I see daily, that they have have nothing to offer this sort of thing, it only turns me away from the dishonest haters, and to the light.. : )

According to many, LDS are among the most charitable of people, giving billions of hours, dollars, and so on to all God's children in need. Sometimes Mormons have been the single largest donors (more than aid concerts, liberals, conservatives, etc.)

More Americans are on government welfare than ever before, but, not Mormons. Even Maher says there are no poor Mormons. If he’s right it is astounding, and not just because he’s never been right about Mormons before. Most Mormons live outside of the U.S. but LDS are focus on education, job skills, and so on. Mormons have many wonderful programs for those in need, they donate billions in time and money to making and distributing food, but, more importantly, on keeping people from needing handouts.

• jpc53 Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 12, 2012 11:47 p.m.

I think the cover is hilarious. Come on Utah have a sense of humor. You still get to go to bed at night knowing you belong to the one true church.

• I-am-I South Jordan, UT
    July 12, 2012 11:44 p.m.

I think the transparency thing is funny. The church releases all the financial information required of it by law. Why does the article then make it sound like the church is hiding something? Nothing is hidden. If they don't like the information required by law then they should take that problem up with the financial regulatory bodies that make the laws not the church because the church just supplies the information required of it by law. This is one of many logical fallacies committed by this article, let alone one of the many violations of the principles of good media.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    July 12, 2012 11:29 p.m.

Apparently it was decided long ago that religion is fair game, let us not forget the scrutiny, criticism of Jeremiah Wright and the Trinity United Church of Christ. Black Liberation Theology? Anybody remember? The controversy sparked continuous media coverage, on both national media outlets and local sources. More than 3,000 news stories had been written on the issue by early April. Obama also was questioned about Wright in a debate.

Ho hum.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 12, 2012 10:50 p.m.

It is an amazing coincidence that with the LDS Church having a history stretching back more than a hundred years, that this week, of all possible times, a mainstream media publication feels it necessary to probe into LDS Church matters.

I am certain that they will deny that it has anything at all to do with trying to tarnish the image of a certain prominent member of the LDS church, who just happens to have a business background.

But, they will have successfully planted the seed, or nurtured one planted by other scurrilous parties to leave the impression that LDS individuals, as well as their church are not to be trusted.

I wonder if the fish wrap that published this bothered to check into the business practices, or any other activities of Trinity United Church of Christ, attended for more than 20 years by the other party's candidate. No, they did not.

As Paul Harvey used to say, "How do you unring a bell?" The media has been pushing lie after lie after lie (to use an old Ted Kennedy phrase) about Romney, and I am disgusted by their actions.

LDS church business operations are their business.

• nosaerfoecioveht NSL, UT
    July 12, 2012 10:45 p.m.

It was interesting to me how the article demonized the church for being smart and industrious with its resources. I'm not sure why that would be offensive.

The dishonesty shown by the author's glaring omission of all the charity distributed at the level of individual congregations reveals an agenda other than simply providing information about the financial status and dealings of the church.

Someone reading the article who knows nothing about the church might be led to think that there was some greedy group of billionaires in the church hierarchy who were exploiting tithing dollars to line their pockets. No individual, in or out of the church, is getting rich from church tithes.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    July 12, 2012 10:16 p.m.

"Honi soit qui mali ponce." A phrase the haters of anything, especially toward what others consider sacred.

I don't care if the LDS Church is loaded -- they have a long history of generously helping others and a hugely positively (correctly) history of providing the welfare to members. Think how much in taxes they save us.

Again, shame to those who think evil.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    July 12, 2012 9:43 p.m.

I don't like the idea of my religion's images portrayed in such a way but BusinessWeek has a history of bad covers (look up the one for the United/Continental merger). Interesting to note that the Church did not respond to that but to the content of the story. The cover is merely there to sell issues and won't mean anything to anyone typical, most will not know what the image is.

• kiaoraguy Provo, UT
    July 12, 2012 9:37 p.m.

Check out the info graphic on the article page-- Crosses? Once again ignorance rears it's unprepared head

• Californian#1@94131 San Francisco, CA
    July 12, 2012 9:19 p.m.

What an interesting time for such a hitpiece to show up, 4 months before the election. It wasn't hard to figure it would be a hitpiece, when I saw who was quoted early on.

The statement from Mr. Eccles of the Governor’s Office was elucidating, regardless of how one feels about this "vast financial empire." He said, "They run their businesses like businesses, no bones about it."

Clearly, the author used that quote to make the Church seem overly obsessed with the temporal and materialistic.

But what is so bad about running businesses like businesses? Imagine a society where everyone ran their personal finances, households, schools, companies, nonprofits, and other stewardships the way a well-run business should be run. What if everyone made the best use of time, money, and materials, cared for their human resources, created the best possible product in the most efficient way, with the smallest possible impact on the environment? What if everyone stayed within their means and out of debt. What if GOVERNMENT did all that! (We may never know, because government never does).

I will eagerly wait to see if Businessweek endorses a presidential candidate.

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    July 12, 2012 9:00 p.m.

This article makes "fair and balanced" actually seem fair AND balanced. They should rename their magazine "Business Weak". The tone of this article and the quote selection where obviously supportive of the political agenda of the writer and perhaps the editor, or some other influential person on staff. It is sad that journalism has taken such an ugly turn toward the unprofessional.

• Full-on double rainbow Bluffdale, UT
    July 12, 2012 8:45 p.m.

"You can buy anything in this world for money."

Silly devil, you can't buy love. Even the beatles knew that.

• Otis Spurlock Ogden, UT
    July 12, 2012 8:13 p.m.

You can buy anything in this world for money.

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    July 12, 2012 8:06 p.m.

Keep ripping, cause my faith grows just stronger and stronger.
    The devils workshop.

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    July 12, 2012 7:58 p.m.

Utah...Please quit pretending that the LDS Church and it's members did not know this sort of thing would be happening. With Mitt Romney running for President of the United States, each and every day is full of new information. Some of it may not be of your liking.
    As numerous posters have advised Mormons this past year, "Buckle up, it's going to be a rough ride".

• Full-on double rainbow Bluffdale, UT
    July 12, 2012 7:42 p.m.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    July 12, 2012 7:21 p.m.

RIP journalistic integrity...

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    July 12, 2012 7:11 p.m.

From disgruntled, former LDS persons with prominent mention, to selection of quotes from Bishop McMullin to Sherri Dew made to put them and their beliefs and attitudes in the worst possible light, to the mention of the ruby ring, to the quote that was made to make President Monson sound as materialistic as possible, to the complete lack of balance in the church's use of its resources, this article was a political assassination of the church. It was unbalanced, unfair, and driven by a one-sided agenda. Shame on business week for publishing this trash and pretending it is news.