Sports

Blue roundup: Jabari Parker releases list of top 10 colleges

Comments

• InterestedObserver Spanish Fork, UT
    July 16, 2012 9:56 a.m.

Noticed that he is wearing #22 in his HS uniform. Is he stuck on the number, as I think that number is hanging in the rafters in The MC.

• rnoble Pendleton, OR
    July 13, 2012 4:37 p.m.

DePaul? That is an interesting inclusion.

• rnoble Pendleton, OR
    July 13, 2012 4:24 p.m.

DePaul? Now that is an interesting inclusion.

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    July 13, 2012 11:57 a.m.

Was Utah on the list? Didn't think so. For all their bravado, where are the Utes supporting their hoops program...or at least the one they used to have.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    July 13, 2012 9:45 a.m.

"I don't mean to denigrate Jimmer but his enormous lack of success at the pro levels does not work in BYU's favor"

What an absolutely senseless comment. Jimmer has played just 1 season in the NBA and it was a shortened season without any pre-season training camps due to the lockout, and with a coaching change just a few weeks in. While it was far from the Rookie of the Year season his fans were hoping for it was still a decent first year for a rookie who did not get a lot of playing time because of team dynamics. Jimmer averaged 7.6 PPG and 1.8 APG in 18.6 minutes per game. He shot 39% from the field and 36% from 3. No, he didn't exactly light the NBA on fire his rookie year, but saying he has had "an enormous lack of success at the pro levels" after just one season is ludicrous. Lets see how he does in his second year after he has actually had a chance to participate in summer league and training camp.

• midwestfan Spanish Fork, UT
    July 13, 2012 12:21 a.m.

@utahbruin

Check your geography dude. DePaul is in Chicago. Maybe a half hour on the L.

• Downtownchrisbrown ,
    July 12, 2012 11:02 p.m.

When Jabari narrows his list to 5 you can be sure that 2 schools will be on that list. BYU and DePaul. He wants to give BYU a fair chance because he isn't sure if its right or not and will want to take an official visit to rule it out or to accept it. Same with DePaul, its a good school near his home. He may not end up choosing either of those two, but they will both be on his final 5.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    July 12, 2012 10:12 p.m.

BYU started as 1 of 30 suitors for Jabari's service. When Jabari whittled it down to 20, BYU was still on the list. Now the odds are 1 in 10. By Fall, the list will be narrowed to 5. I'm not sure if I'm more excited for Jabari's announcement or the kickoff at LES.

• localblue Sandy, UT
    July 12, 2012 8:49 p.m.

I don't mean to denigrate Jimmer but his enormous lack of success at the pro levels does not work in BYU's favor, given Jabari's interest in preparing himself for the pros. I also don't see him ultimately going to Stanford given distance from Chicago and lack of recent success, despite Mark Madsen's hiring and extensive LDS connections there. Kentucky is I think same time zone. Michigan State I think is one hour difference, maybe same, but geographically close. Duke is a great fit but also really far for his family. I'm guessing the order will be: Kentucky, MSU, BYU, Duke and on down. If we can somehow eliminate Kentucky and MSU, BYU has a chance.

• DRay Roy, UT
    July 12, 2012 8:46 p.m.

Remember not to count the chickens too soon...many a young man has outlined his one and done and on to the NBA plans, only to never even star at the college level

BYU would be the real challenge, to go there and do what has never been done before, make it to the final 4, maybe even to the championship game

why do so many disparge the honor of playing for BYU, flagship, if you will, for the LDS educational system? Jabari should consider it a great opportunity to play for this great institution...come on Jabari, if you would show real courage, play for and lead the Cougars, pick them above all the rest, be a pioneer, don't follow the crowd...I'm rooting for you to do that.

• morganh Orem, Utah
    July 12, 2012 8:13 p.m.

Yes Jabari is LDS, but lets look at this list from a different perspective. Being a BYU fan I would love to see Jabari at B.Y.U., but it is pretty impressive that B.Y.U. is on the same list as Georgetown, Kentucky, Duke Michigan St. etc.. for the Gatorade Player of the Year. I am sure being LDS was a factor for choosing B.Y.U., but I am also sure that the success of B.Y.U. was part of it as well. Dave Rose has lead B.Y.U. to 6 straight NCAA appearances, A birth in the Sweet Sixteen, multiple years of 25+ wins and coached Jimmer Fredette who won 4 out of the 5 National Player of the Year awards. I am sure there is not a coach in the country who would want that kind of a resume, and that kind of a resume is sure to draw attention. Thanks Coach and Go Cougs!!

• kfbob SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    July 12, 2012 6:13 p.m.

Unfortunately Parker won't be coming to BYU. It's not that the Cougars are a good team it's just that they play in a lot of High School Size Gyms in the Pacific time zone. If they were in the MWC they'd have a shot. It they were in the BE or BIG 10 they would be one of the favorites. All of the sport outside of football need to get into a better conference (Track and Field doesn't even have a conference) or their other programs are are doomed.

• gb5 Cincinnati, OH
    July 12, 2012 5:28 p.m.

Come to BYU! :)

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    July 12, 2012 4:31 p.m.

According to ESPN, BYU already has a top 10 recruiting class in 2013 even without Jabari. They would easily have a top 5 class and could make a legitimate run at a national championship if they landed Jabari. Plus BYU has made 6 straight NCAA tournament appearances which is where most future NBA draft picks make a name for themselves so it is not an either/or prospect for Jabari. He can have the LDS/BYU experience AND still make it to the NBA if he has the talent to do so. I respect his decision wherever he decides to play though. He is a great ambassador for the LDS faith.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 12, 2012 4:21 p.m.

@Jonathan Eddy
    "3. Regardless of where you play college hoops or who you play for, YOU WILL BE THE #1 DRAFT PICK"

Not necessarily. The #1 NBA draft pick isn't always the best NBA player from that year so it's possible that the #1 high school player isn't the best college player or the #1 pick.

"4. If you follow your current course, you will play for numerous NBA championships and will win more than a few."

Not one, not two, not three... okay that joke's less fun when Lebron already has one.

"8. You will retire from the NBA as one of the greatest to have played the game, mentioned in the same vein as Magic, Larry, LeBron, Kobe."

Kid's in high school. Let's tone it down a little...

@IDC
    "Win a NC at BYU, you will be remembered forever!"

Sure he'll probably be a better college player than Jimmer but to win an NCAA tournament you sorta need to have a really good team and while BYU is good... they're probably still not the favorite to win a NC and even favorites have ~20% odds of winning the tournament.

• Otis Spurlock Ogden, UT
    July 12, 2012 4:06 p.m.

Jabari,

As someone who spent 7 years at byu (4 years undergrad and 3 law school) I feel qualified to tell you that the byu experience is mainly comprised of waiting in long lines day after day, being in overcrowded classes, very little interaction with your teachers and very little racial diversity.

There are some good things at byu. Namely, the taco salads.

If you do decide to attend byu and play in the WCC, I would recommend you take a Korean Culture class from Professor Mark Peterson. It was the most interesting and entertaining class that I had at byu.

Good luck and we will be cheering for you.

Very truly yours,

Uncle Otis

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    July 12, 2012 3:52 p.m.

If geography is playing a role, I am guessing Michigan State, Kentucky or Kansas, these three schools also make travel to games live a bit easier for his family, especially MSU only 3.5hrs hours away. Kentucky is 6.5hrs and Kansas is 9hrs. The rest are just to far away. Sorry North Carolina, Duke, Stanford, Georgetown, Depaul, Florida and BYU.

Congratulations to Jabari, what a great athlete and student. I wish you the best of luck my friend.

• IDC Boise, ID
    July 12, 2012 2:50 p.m.

If he wins a title at Kentucky or North Carolina, no one will remember it as it will be one of many. Win a NC at BYU, you will be remembered forever!

He is going to the NBA no matter where he plays. Jimmer was player of the year at BYU and if Jabari is as good as they say, he will be player of the year as well and the #1 pick. I will personally buy his parents a DVR to record the late games (you guys have to promise not to tell anyone, okay).

• Go Utes Salt Lake City, UT
    July 12, 2012 1:33 p.m.

@ Jonathan Eddy

A mormon at BYU? how original. He will better represent the Church by going out to one of the other (and better) institutions in the country and being a good church member there. Having grown up in Chicago, he likely does not need the crutch of BYU to hold up his testimony. News Flash: one can represent the church, and represent it well, even if one does not go to BYU.

At any rate, he seems to be too good of a player to bring his talents to Provo. Unless some Roger Reid type gets hold of him to convince him that 15 million people will be let down if he goes elsewhere, I doubt he will play in Provo.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    July 12, 2012 1:22 p.m.

@ motorbike, I would have to review the comment to decide if he went too far. I won't say he didn't, but now I'll never know. It was allowed at first, after all. My comment was only limited to the Cougar Eat.... Was it any worse than the comment about Stevens Henager. In any case, thanks for your comment.

I wish Parker the very best, no matter where he decides to attend college. Wherever he goes, I'm sure it will be a bit of a circus and the program will have to plan on him being there only one year, which can be disruptive for many programs, including BYU. It took BYU a long time to fully recover from the Bradley fiasco and a lot of people were hurt by it. Kentucky, Duke, Louisville and similar big time programs would be OK. BYU? Not so sure.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    July 12, 2012 1:19 p.m.

I really hope Jabari chooses the Y. It would be great for him and great for the church. That said, it is a long shot.

• Common Sense Czar Sandy, UT
    July 12, 2012 1:19 p.m.

@flynn is the coolest

"...too bad my Utes don't have any scholarships available to go after him."
    It's called sarcasm...the kid wouldn't waste his time opening a letter from Utah...Utah wouldn't waste a stamp because they know there's no chance he'd come. Thanks for making me explain a joke...FYI...Stevens Henager doesn't have a basketball team...so...that was a joke too.

Since I explained my comments, what does your statement mean??
    "And how does and scholarship to play basketball at Utah benefit anyone interested in basketball?"

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT
    July 12, 2012 1:13 p.m.

8. You will retire from the NBA as one of the greatest to have played the game, mentioned in the same vein as Magic, Larry, LeBron, Kobe. Someone in the top 50 best will have to gracefully bow out to make room for you on this elite list.

9. You will be a successful businessman and most sought after motivational speaker in just about every venue.

10. You will forever be grateful for your upbringing and system of beliefs and you will dedicate your life to sharing your story more times than you will be able to remember.

Now, with all of this said, all of this will happen regardless of which school you attend. However, it is my belief, (and I hope it is yours as well), that the BYU experience will provide a springboard in preparation for the worldwide sphere of influence that you will no doubt have on men, women and children that are today in need of an ultimate role model of happiness based on doing things the right way; as a representative of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Welcome to BYU my friend!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 12, 2012 1:05 p.m.

@Esquire,

I respectfully disagree with your comment ... Otis' comments were going to far and I'm glad the DNews opted to get rid of them. While it's fine to talk about diversity, it's not fine to take the approach Otis took with it. Maybe he should tone it down and try again.

This is coming from a Ute fan by the way ... not that it should matter.

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT
    July 12, 2012 12:54 p.m.

Okay Jabari, I'm going to assume that you keep up on posts about you here in Happy Valley, so let me give it my best shot.

Whether or not you choose to serve a mission, (this is solely between you and divine providence despite the constant noise that will most certainly come from well wishers, detractors and a few silly fans), here is the probable future as you and I would suppose:

1. You are destined to be a great college basketball player
    2. You are also destined for greatness as a professional player too
    5. You will have a spectacular 15-20 year career and endorsements will follow you wherever you go.
    6. You will be a gazillionaire and will never be concerned about finances
    7. You will marry the bride of your choice in the temple of your bride's choice and you will be fine with that.

8. See next post....

• Daddiooh Orem, UT
    July 12, 2012 12:42 p.m.

I would love him to be a Cougar, but he states his goal pretty clearly--family to watch him play. If true, then look for somewhere within a short driving distance and a central or eastern time zone. Anything west will probably be out. If so, then DePaul and Michigan State are definitely in the lead and then it fans out from there geographically. But it is a young man between his Jr and Sr years of high school who is talking, so that current priority will probably take a backseat to him accomplishing other goals in his life. If a mission is in the cards, it helps BYU's chances, but any college coach will work with him on that. I am sure his Dad (former NBA player) and Mom (Devout LDS member) will help direct him to top tier program where 1 and done and/or a mission is acceptable.

But wouldn't it be cool to see him in Provo! I just don't see that happening unless BYU books his actual team for a couple of games.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    July 12, 2012 12:32 p.m.

You have edited out unoffensive comments, including one from an Otis who took the position that Parker should go elsewhere, but said the food at the Cougar Eat was good, to which I agreed on the Cougar Eat comment. You people are really heavy handed.

• flynn is the coolest Salt Lake City, UT
    July 12, 2012 12:17 p.m.

@Common Sense Czar

"...too bad my Utes don't have any scholarships available to go after him."

I think a few more scholarships will open up when more of the team quits.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 12, 2012 11:53 a.m.

If his intention is to be a one and done player then he'll probably pick one of those first rounder factories like Kentucky. I think BYUs odds are highest if he's looking to stay for more years.

• byufan1993 Provo, , UT
    July 12, 2012 11:47 a.m.

I think he would really enjoy BYU. I don't think he will end up coming here however. But I think he could fit in well and he would really make BYU a contender! I don't see why he couldnt excel here. It would be great. But sadly i don't think he will pick BYU.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    July 12, 2012 11:39 a.m.

Whichever school gets Jabari will only have him for 1 year then he's off to the NBA.... unless he goes on a mission

• SpaceCowboy69 Syracuse, UT
    July 12, 2012 11:19 a.m.

I would love for him to come to BYU, but doubt that he will. My guess is either Kentucky or Duke.

• esodije ALBUQUERQUE, NM
    July 12, 2012 10:48 a.m.

If Jabari's looking to play in a pro-style/-level program, I think he'd be crazy not to go to Kentucky.

• Common Sense Czar Sandy, UT
    July 12, 2012 10:44 a.m.

Way to snub Stevens Henager!! I guess he already has a laptop. Good luck...too bad my Utes don't have any scholarships available to go after him.