Utah

How does Love stack up against previous Matheson challengers?

Comments

• wear2manyhatz Holladay, UT
    July 11, 2012 10:31 a.m.

To those who are trying to paint Matheson as a liberal, you are as wrong as you are "right"!

Matheson has voted more often with Republicans than Democrats. He is no friend of just left of conservative Democrats, and certainly not to more liberal and progressive Democrats.

We will vote for Matheson because he is, currently, the only Democrat in the Utah legislation. For him to lose his seat to yet another TEAOP-er would completely skew Utah.

Matheson voted against ACA and was the first Democrat to vote against Holder. He is not in Pelosi, Reid or the President's pocket any more than Bishop and Chaffetz.

Get your facts straight!

• Leesha Kearns, UT
    July 9, 2012 4:35 p.m.

I too have noticed this. Matheson waits for the last minute to see if the Democrats have enough votes before decided how he will vote. Most notoriously was the health care bill. He makes it look as if he is thoughtfully deciding. He must thing we are really stupid to not see this and keep voting for him. He does not have Utah's best interest at heart. He has the Democratic party's interest at heart.
    Go Mia! You can win this.

• The Skeptical Chymist SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    July 9, 2012 2:33 p.m.

Due to redistricting, I am no longer in Matheson's district. If I were I would hold my nose and vote for him, as useless a Democrat as he is. He is still better than any Republican opponent.

• VIDAR Murray, UT
    July 9, 2012 2:29 p.m.

Seems that the Utah republican party is taking lessons from professional wrestling on how to fix a game.
    Gerrymandering regardless of the party is dishonest, and an abuse of power.
    Not good can come from an abuse of power.
    Democrats in this state deserve to be represented.

• mightyhunterhaha Kaysville, UT
    July 9, 2012 12:11 p.m.

@ DN Subscriber

You claim the democrats have dmaged the country. I would also state the Tea Party has damaged the country. Nothing! Nothing gets done! The Dems stae it is thier way or the highway hidden under the guise of compromise. The Reps. listen to Tea Partiers who claim they know and understand the Constitution but misunderstand it more than a 5 yrs. old. We need the Henry Clays, Bob Bennetts and others who will compromise for the good of the country. Mia Love is not that person. She will be another Senator Lee. That is what Utahs does not need.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    July 9, 2012 12:07 p.m.

Jim seems to be a very good man. I'm sure he would be a good neighbor but when the sun comes up and when it goes down he is still a democrat and that just spells doom for this nation.

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    July 9, 2012 10:14 a.m.

Matheson, like most members of the House, vote with their party. Once in a while, he'll vote the other way, but its always a delayed decision, waiting for Pelosi to determine if she has enough votes without his. If she does not, then Matheson will vote with the Dem's. He is not conservative or even moderate, but since the left are so radical as to almost seem anti-American, he is considered a moderate. Since I've met him, I will say he's a real nice guy. Mia Love brings something for Utah. She will get media interviewing her, she'll be the opposite of almost all other blacks in Congress and she'll not be shy. I hope the 4th district supports Mia.

• Annalaurab Salt Lake City, UT
    July 9, 2012 9:28 a.m.

I would love to actually meet Mia Love and hope I get the chance before the election. I'm a republican and Mitt Romney supporter, however, I voted for Jim Matheson in all his previous runs. I've meet Jim at least 4 times and I think he does a great job. He has voted against Obamacare and several of the other big democrat proposals. The cuts Mia wants to make scare me. She comes across as too unrealistic and I'm afraid she would just increase gridlock in congress. I may be wrong but that's how I see it right now. I'm leaning towards supporting Matheson again although I may change my mind.

• timpClimber Provo, UT
    July 9, 2012 8:58 a.m.

Matheson's voting record is one of bait and switch, check it out. He says a lot of conservative things when in Utah. Votes with Republicans just enough to claim he is a conservative but he still supports key Democratic over spending in congress. Have you heard him say anything about Obama's continued use of executive orders to circumvent the law or Congress. Can you find in any of his blurbs sent to Utah any specifics on how he stands on the bloated Health Care law, Obama's veto on the pipe line from Canada or union favored stimulus, etc. And as to the Republican Ideas on solving the budget crisis the Ryan Plan is the only realistic one that has been proposed. Read it and see if you can come up with a better one to begin to get the huge national debt off our backs.

• Independent Thinker West Jordan, UT
    July 9, 2012 8:47 a.m.

I've met Mia Love and have also observed her for a couple of years as Mayor of Saratoga Springs. I don't trust her, partly because she is behaving very differently in this campaign than she did before becoming a Congressional candidate.

It is my observation that Mrs. Love is too politically naive to be effective in Washington D.C. Although her rhetoric may sound good on the surface, I think she'd do more harm than good. We don't need one more embarassment from Utah.

I'm not entirely pleased with Rep. Matheson, but he is far preferable to Mrs. Love as my Congressional representative. I'm delighted the districts have shifted back where he will once again be my Congressman.

• Richard Votaw Sandy, UT
    July 9, 2012 8:45 a.m.

Really King??? So in California, Illinois or New York you would vote Republican because there the Democrats are the one "gerrymandering" the districts to be more Democrat.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    July 9, 2012 8:09 a.m.

King’s Court, Voice,
    Thank you for supporting Nancy Pelosi for Speaker and thereby forwarding BO’s destructive agenda.

• Utah_1 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 9, 2012 6:53 a.m.

Kings Court,
    Actually the legislature didn't redistrict Matheson out of the 2nd district. He lives in the current 2nd and new 2nd district. The new 2nd district and 4th district are both as republican as his current district. He chose to run in the 4th district because he resides in Utah and the US constitution doesn't say he has to run in his own district. He just won't be able to vote for himself this fall.

For those that think Rep. Matheson helped fight "ObamaCare" when it passed, think again.

Look at what votes he made the last week prior that helped set up what happened Sunday March 21, 2010. For those that wanted the bill to pass, he voted against it, for those that wanted it to fail, he voted to suspend the rules so it could pass. Time to vote Rep. Matheson out.

• Freedom Huntsville, UT
    July 9, 2012 6:53 a.m.

I guess DN has made their endorsement.

If I was in this CD, I'd vote for Love, no question. She is not as far right as this article paints her. She is grounded in conservative principles. She sees through Obama's lies (a tax, not a tax - to tax, not to tax). She is determined, principled, independent, believes in the sanctity of the unborn. She's a proven fiscal conservative. When I consider the Utah GOP slate, I'm thrilled. Utah has too much of a good thing.

• Peter R Provo, UT
    July 9, 2012 6:50 a.m.

@King's Court, I agree about the political gerrymandering. However, voting Democrat just to create that balance, as well-intentioned as it might be, is still voting for a party and not for the individual, as you state. It's just voting for the other party out os spite, which I think is an even worse reason.

• Go Utes! Springville, UT
    July 9, 2012 6:27 a.m.

I love Mia Love! too bad i dont get to vote for her :( she would be a great addition to the representation we get at the national level.

• Voice Saint George, UT
    July 9, 2012 12:52 a.m.

Matheson has always received this Registered Republican's vote.

I vote for the candidate I believe has the greatest ability to do the best job in the years alloted by the office. I have voted every election for Jim Matheson.

For me it's almost worth moving to District 2 so that I can continue to vote for Jim, a representative I respect!

Thank you, Jim Matheson! Best wishes from a grateful St. George Republican!

• Mukkake Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2012 9:00 p.m.

The photo of Love for this article should teach everyone an important lesson; you can't look dignified while doing air quotes.

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    July 8, 2012 8:55 p.m.

Incumbency is a liability these days, as it was in 2010.
    Congressional approval hovers under 20%.
    Matheson's got some 'splainin' to do and he's not doing it very well so far.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    July 8, 2012 8:19 p.m.

Well Read,
    Good points but you can't blame just Bush. Passing a multi-trillion dollar health care bill that will be an anchor around the neck of our economy is not what I would call fiscal responsibility.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 8, 2012 7:49 p.m.

Looks like the spinmeisters are already fired up trying to hide Jim Matheson's consistently liberal record. Sure, he sometimes votes like a "blue dog" but when Nancy Pelosi needs his vote, he is always there for her.

Matheson can pretend to have "Utah values" when running for election here, but he ends up inflicting Obama's values on our nation.

I like Matheson as an individual, but our country cannot afford to let the Democrats destroy it, like they have been for the last 3 years. And, "Trillion dollar" Jim Matheson has been there the whole time.

I trust Mia Love to act on principle. I believe Matheson acts on political self interest and his party's demands.

Vote for Mia Love!

• Kings Court Alpine, UT
    July 8, 2012 7:45 p.m.

Deep in thought, yeah I just remembered that the state legislature gerrymandered Matheson out of the 2nd district.

• Well Read SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    July 8, 2012 7:42 p.m.

Mia Loves policies if carried out would bankrupt the United states. I have stated many times that the Republicans are using the wrong approach to solve the budget crisis. Their only solution is o cut. One can not cut our way out of the budget deficit! One has to cut smartly and carefully. Not with a meat axe!!

A tax increase is also art of the solution. The presidents plan to raise taxes on those who make over 250,000 is a good one.

One can not balance the budget with either choice alone - raise taxes or cut spending! Both need to be done to get out of the mess president bush caused.

• Most Truthful and Patriotic Layton, UT
    July 8, 2012 7:02 p.m.

Matheson doesn't represent Utah?

Maybe true, because all of the moderates I know, see him as a far-right panderer working against everything that the average Utahn needs (yet, the average Utahn doesn't realize).

Ms Love may be a nice lady, but her refusal to understand the Department of Defense (despite being her party's nominee for months) is quite shocking.

• mcdugall Layton, UT
    July 8, 2012 6:47 p.m.

dumprake: Matheson is no "blue dog Democrat" ummm. He is the epitome of Blue Dog democrat. He actually has voted numerous times on legislation defining marriage as one man and one women. Please fact-check your statements and become better informed. It is highly patriotic to make informed decisions based on facts and not hearsay.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    July 8, 2012 6:47 p.m.

However this race turns out, it will be what it is. One thing, though. Jowers is hardly a neutral observer. He is a GOP partisan, big time.

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    July 8, 2012 6:29 p.m.

Better bring Jean Ralpho in, but if he isn't available then I am voting for Matheson.

• dumprake Washington, UT
    July 8, 2012 6:21 p.m.

Matheson is no "blue dog Democrat", he is as far left as you can get. He supports same sex marriage, and all other gay issues. He has a 100% voting record for gay causes. He believes in bigger government, he has supported every tax increase and every expansion of the national debt--how is that "blue dog?" He sells that like he owns it, but he is one of the great political deceivers of our time. He does not support Utah values, and he is not an "independent voice." He speaks the truth about like Pres Obama does--whom he supports, and which he voted for that abominable atrocity we call Obamacare. Utah needs to be rid of him.

• deep in thought Salt Lake, UT
    July 8, 2012 6:16 p.m.

I'm in Mia Love's district and will be voting for her along with family members x 7 that I've talked to so far. And @ Kings Court, Alpine is in 3rd Congressional district according the the voting maps.

• Kings Court Alpine, UT
    July 8, 2012 5:32 p.m.

I'm voting for Matheson, even though I'm a Republican. It is nothing against Mia Love. My vote is a referendum against the Utah Legislature which has abused their power in trying to silence the voice of 38% of Utahns who regularly vote Democrat by gerrymandering voting districts to silence any opposing political parties. It is disgusting to see a political party attempt to stamp out all political opposition. Let the Democrats have one voice in Washington, especially when over a 1/3 of Utahns vote Democrat. There would still be three representatives who are Republican. That is more than fair representation in Washington. It is time to quit voting for political parties and start voting for individuals and political liberty.