Utah

'Monster' killed, sexually assaulted 6-year-old girl, West Jordan chief says

Comments

• ulvegaard Medical Lake, Washington
    June 29, 2012 8:56 a.m.

My emotions are too close to the surface to comment my shared grief.

However, be a bit patient with the police. Sometimes giving out too much information to the curious public tips off their suspect and gives them time to flee. Cooperation is important and so is controlling our curiosity. We like to know all, but sometimes it is better to allow the authorities to work without the interference of the concerned public.

• My Humble Opinion Sandy, UT
    June 28, 2012 4:43 p.m.

I believe many people have misunderstood what the police have said. They did not say that parents shouldn't be at all concerned for their children's safety. They urged parents to be cautious with their children but that they "believe there's no need to panic". Obviously the police would want parents to take the necessary precuations with their children. As a parent of young children, I am definitely concerned for my childrens' safety and will take precautions but I will not panic. There is a difference.

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    June 28, 2012 4:35 p.m.

@Tators

"The fate of the perpetrator who did this is already determined in God's eyes. And what a horrible fate it will be." - But God forgives so ... ??? Is there not forgiveness anymore?

I'm with you. I'd like to personally castrate the man myself before his execution day. Just checking the facts on the almighty above. Forgive us or send us to hell? Hmmm ...

I would hope this guy goes to hell but what do I know.

• georgeman Kearns, UT
    June 28, 2012 2:04 p.m.

I held my three young girls in my arms last night and just cried. If I ever lost one of them to a monster like this, that monster would need to hide in the darkest corners of the universe to avoid me.

May God bless the parents of this little baby, that they will be able to carry on knowing they will see thier little angel again.

There is life after this, but what a horrible way to leave this life.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    June 28, 2012 1:22 p.m.

I am personally volunteering to be the one who facilitates the execution of the "monster" who did this heinous crime. I can't think of anyone who more deserves to die and rot in hell.
    The Savior said something like, "It is better that a millstone be hanged around his neck and drowned in the depths of the sea than to offend one of these little ones, the children."
    This is the ultimate offense against children. The fate of the perpetrator who did this is already determined in God's eyes. And what a horrible fate it will be. I would also like to see some attempt at justice given out in this life as well... ASAP.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    June 28, 2012 11:29 a.m.

@ajas

@korn75

Let's be careful in criticizing the police too much. They're trying to solve this case, but at the same time, they don't want to create mass hysteria either. Imagine if they had said something like, "Until we make an arrest, keep all your children under lock and key!"

Would that have been reassuring, especially now that it is summer time, with July 4th approaching?

Parents should just use common sense in watching their kids and I'm sure most parents already do. In the meantime, let the police do their job and let us pray and send our best wishes to the victim's family.

@Rifleman

Take heart my friend, whether in this life or the next, justice will ultimately prevail.

• PH801 Draper, UT
    June 28, 2012 11:20 a.m.

If I had kids I would be nervous. Heck I don't have kids and this makes me nervous for those that do. It's sad that this has happened and I really hope the police have good leads and can find the scum that did this. I can't imagine what the family is going through and I hope that they can somehow get some comfort from friends and family as they're dealing with this horrible tragedy.

• korn75 Cedar Hills, UT
    June 28, 2012 8:49 a.m.

It makes me nervous that the police are telling the community that they shouldn't be nervous, yet they claim they have no suspects. It almost makes it seem like they have an idea of who did this and that it was someone who already knew the girl. I agree with others who have mentioned that this crime warrants the death penalty. I can't help but think about the last few moments of that little girl's life. What a sad situation.

• Shimlau SAINT GEORGE, UT
    June 28, 2012 8:32 a.m.

When I think of how much I love my grandchildren that bracket this child's age, I weep. Condolences to the family and all the people who were close to her. There is a Christ, and she rests with him!

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    June 28, 2012 8:03 a.m.

This world is scary

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    June 28, 2012 7:15 a.m.

My condolences to the family. I hope the perpetrator is found and brought to justice soon.

I would also like to point out, the recent Supreme Court ruling for juveniles in regards to life sentences says it would still be OK for a jury to sentence, for example, a 14-year-old to life in prison without the possibility of parole, as long as the jury has the option not to issue that sentence. It merely struck down automatic sentences for juveniles passed by many states.

• OneAmerican Idaho Falls, ID
    June 28, 2012 6:49 a.m.

I did read elsewhere that the parents are cooperating and not suspects. You can be confident the police are determined to get this solved ASAP. It's their job to tell people not to panic, but unless they know something specific as to why people should not be concerned, it is silly to say so. More appropriate words would be, "We all need to be alert and vigilant."

All that said, this is a true tragedy and my heart and prayers go out to all her family and friends.

• raybies Layton, UT
    June 28, 2012 5:55 a.m.

Heartwrenching Sadness.

• anneray Kosciusko, Mississippi
    June 27, 2012 10:05 p.m.

My thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends. I can't imagine their grief.

• Civil Salt Lake City, UT
    June 27, 2012 6:55 p.m.

First,
    This monster must be caught, prosecuted, and executed. Is he to be pitied? Maybe. Given mercy? Not for raping and murdering a child, no.

Second,
    The lack of details is alarming. We're supposed to feel our children are safe because the police said so? Like the Powell children were safe in custody of Steven Powell while WVC twiddled their thumbs?

Third,
    Rifleman made a factual statement: "If the suspect turns out to be a teenager the Supreme Court has ruled that society should give him hope for parole at some point in the future."

His conclusion, "Hopefully the Utah Parole Board would have the wisdom to grant him parole .... when he turns 99," I personally support. Monsters of this kind do not rehabilitate, they repeat.

Fourth,
    depending on the study, between one-in-400 and one-in-800 Americans have been convicted of a sex-crime, and no, they aren't all 18-year-old boys who did it with their 17-year-old girlfriend.

Fifth,
    Sadly, the perp probably knew her, and she him, and the police may know who it is, but the lack of detail still makes it hard for people to protect themselves.

• nothegame Saratoga Springs, UT
    June 27, 2012 6:30 p.m.

Sick sick sick. I can't even tell u what would happen if that was my daughter.

• jane Hereford, AZ
    June 27, 2012 6:16 p.m.

It makes you wonder whether the two cases could be related. Sometimes clues are found when police look for someone who has been recently released from prison who was incarcerated sometime after the first crime and released shortly before the second.
    My heart goes out to the family. What a terrible thing.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    June 27, 2012 5:05 p.m.

What a tragedy. The guilty is truly a monster, nobody else could do that to a young child. I hope they get caught quickly and get the punishment that awaits them. Condolences to the family, I can't imagine how you are feeling right now.

• SpaceCowboy69 Syracuse, UT
    June 27, 2012 5:04 p.m.

What a terrible tragedy. Obviously they are just at the beginning of the investigation, but I was wondering why the call was made at 7:30 am? Was she in her bed and someone took her like Elizabeth Smart? Lots of questions and I am sure the answers will come. I feel terrible for the family.

• ajas Herriman, UT
    June 27, 2012 4:30 p.m.

How can the police claim that the area is safe...that others aren't in danger if no one has been arrested in connection with the murder? That doesn't make sense.

• VocalLocal Salt Lake, UT
    June 27, 2012 4:02 p.m.

I'm so terribly sickened about this. My heart goes out to the parents. I cannot even fathom their pain. I can only hope that we some day have a world where no parent ever has to bury a child under such tragic circumstances.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    June 27, 2012 3:08 p.m.

6 years old?!

Ragedy Ann
    Sesame Street
    Winnie the Pooh
    the Ice Cream truck
    and Bubbles in the park

...a victim of sexual assult and murder?

O.K. - normally I'm hard-core anti-State sponsoered Death Penalty,
    but it's cases like this one that SERIOUSLY have me reconsidering my stance!

BTW - Rifleman,
    Yours was a lame and cheap political shot.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    June 27, 2012 2:09 p.m.

Really, Rifleman, you just turned this terrible tragedy into a political talking point?

What a sad thing, another innocent child brutalized. It breaks my heart to think of the awful last moments this small child endured. If there is a Christ he weeps I hope this young child finds peace and love in His arms until she is reunited with her loved ones. My heart goes out to her family. I can only imagine the grief they are suffering. I pray that they will find peace.

• photographermom South Jordan, UT
    June 27, 2012 2:09 p.m.

I didn't see any mention of the parents, are they cooperating with police?

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 27, 2012 1:01 p.m.

If the suspect turns out to be a teenager the Supreme Court has ruled that society should give him hope for parole at some point in the future. Hopefully the Utah Parole Board would have the wisdom to grant him parole .... when he turns 99.