Utah

Eye for an eye, hair for hair? Judge orders Price woman to cut off daughter's ponytail in court

Teen had helped cut hair of 3-year-old girl she met at McDonald's

Comments

• bnelson Ogden, UT
    Nov. 12, 2015 2:24 p.m.

Teens are all into their "looks". I think having her hair cut probably hurt her more than more hours of community service. And I don't think it should have been a choice. Sometimes I wonder if the service shouldn't be to the victim's family though...taking their garbage to the curb, or sorting for re-cycling, washing their car, raking up leaves, having to do something "nice" for the little girl by way of apology. At first it would be resented but maybe in the end she would get to know the family a little and sincerely feel sorry for what she did. And shame on the mother who is whining to the public. The girl already had been in trouble. It seems the mother should have been glad to have a punishment that might actually make the daughter regret what she had done.

• vthommasson Prescott, AZ
    July 20, 2012 7:57 p.m.

I can't help but wonder where the 3-year-old's mother was the entire time this was happening, and why she wasn't charged with neglect for leaving her child unattended for so long. And to everyone who is outraged about this: it's just hair, it WILL grow back! The punishment fit the crime. With the teen's mother's attitude, it is questionable as to whether she will learn anything from the experience.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    July 7, 2012 10:22 a.m.

I knew a dad who had a son who was beginning to bite other children. The son seemed to have no idea that his biting hurt the other children and there seemed to be nothing the dad could do about it. Finally after the kid drew blood with one of his young victims, the Dad took the little guy out back and bit him, quite sharply, on the arm, not letting loose till he himself drew blood. The kid screamed and cried but he got the message and didn't bite another child that school year. During the kids 7th grade year, after he punched a smaller kid in the face, the dad asked if the smaller child had been bloodied. The kid admitted yes and the dad took the kid out back and punched him three times in the face before drawing blood. The kid had to visit the hospital, but he got the message. He didn't beat up on any more 7th graders. Now the kid is married and having a bit of a problem with pushing his wife around. It's going to be interesting to see how the dad handles this one.

• penquin Tooele, UT
    July 6, 2012 9:10 a.m.

Really, an Eye for an Eye is not a good way to teach a child right from wrong....With parenting skills like that, No wonder the girl is in trouble with the law and this wasn't her first time... And to the person who said judges can not do this and should be in hot water, read the statue, it does give judges in Utah the discretion to sentence kids outside of the norm... Maybe if more judges would take the Eye for an Eye approach criminals would be deterred....

• Aloha Saint George Saint George, Utah
    July 5, 2012 7:43 p.m.

I don't feel the least bit sad for the girl who the judge had her hair cut. THis mother wants to create more drama by attacking the judge. Get over it Mom. Take care of your daughter so that she doesn't do it again. Drop the drama and using the media- makes you look worse.

• CTguy30 Colchester, CT
    July 5, 2012 5:51 p.m.

What surprises me is that the 13 year old and her friend were determined to do the deed...even asking McDonld's employees for scissors...They were not thinking, "If we had scissors, I would cut that girl's hair." They were thinking..."We NEED to get some scissors NOW." Huge difference...
    Could be a determining factor of a future criminal case for this young juvie...intent. There is no doubt this one has full intent on doing what she did. Pre-meditated...methodically executed plans...hmmm, I see behavioral patterns arising.
    I picture this Bruno character sitting in a court room in a decade or so with her daughter in chains being tried for something much MUCH worse...I'm sure it'll be everybody else's fault then too.

• SLCMom Salt Lake City, UT
    July 5, 2012 9:53 a.m.

Choosing to use such a sensationalist title for this story puts DesNews on another new low. The judge did not "ORDER" the mother to cut off the girl's ponytail. He gave her a choice as an option to other fines and/or community service hours. It was perfectly reasonable due to all of the circumstances.

• billypenn Meridian, ID
    July 5, 2012 9:51 a.m.

Ms. Bruno instead of worrying about the judge maybe you should be accountable and focus on making your daughter a better citizen. I say good for the judge obviously the parents cannot discipline their child so the judge needed to make a lasting impression on this youth.I have no sympathy for your daughter, you reap what you sow.

• Charter Fan Midvale, UT
    July 5, 2012 8:50 a.m.

I think the judge was more than fair. I don't know why the mom is so upset, it's hair! It grows back quickly.

• rok San Diego, CA
    July 4, 2012 7:25 p.m.

What's she complaining about? She had a choice. She didn't have to cut the hair and her daughter could have done the full 276 hours.

• UtahBy5 Bluffdale, UT
    July 4, 2012 6:20 p.m.

Rarely does a judge have such a great opportunity to teach justice. Good Job! Seriously cutting off her hair involves zero physical abuse, in some countries she would have been caned. The mom should quit being a cry baby be a mom and maybe her kid wouldn't have to be raised by the judicial system.

• HotGlobe SAN RAFAEL, CA
    July 4, 2012 1:17 p.m.

Well, yeah, this is "eye for an eye." Where did the judge get such terrible morals?

• roberto Moses Lake, WA
    July 4, 2012 11:56 a.m.

Rifleman I was ready to disagree with your view until I read your 12:16 post. I gained a little respect for you., I do believe the judge did us all a favor with that punishment. Mom of the offender needs to be writing apologies and thank you notes rather than embarrassing her self with a complaint against the judge who is having to do her job. A little dissapline will do the girl some good... on second thought, watching how mom reacts is giving us some insight in to the girls behavior.

• Clifton Palmer McLendon Gilmer, Texas
    July 4, 2012 7:41 a.m.

It would have served the teenage bully right if she had been given a boot-camp haircut.

All she lost was a ponytail.

Her mother is a whiner.

• GQ Monkee Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 4, 2012 7:19 a.m.

Something is wrong here, and it is not the judge's ruling. Had my daughter done such a thing, she would have SHOWN UP to court with a bad hair cut...and then done the community service. This judge's actions will have little effect on the offender because her own mother is so intent on proving that the judge was mean and not on rehabilitating her own child.

• ClarkKent Bountiful, Utah
    July 3, 2012 3:58 p.m.

Question? Not saying these two girls shouldn't have been punished, but where was the parent of this little 3-year old child? How is it that these girls were able to befriend this 3-year old, leave to go purchase sissors and return and cut her hair? My word someone could have kidnapped this little one because obviously no one was keeping any eye on her whatsoever!

• gr8fl4genealogy BRIGHAM CITY, UT
    July 3, 2012 2:37 p.m.

So many children these days seem to be incapable of empathy for their victims. Maybe having their hair chopped and possibly being humiliated and made fun of will help them understand the hurt they caused a very small child, all for kicks.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    July 3, 2012 1:02 p.m.

Jail or Haircut? Hmm. Sounds like the Judge gave the kid a very good option. I would have been in favor of shaving this kid's head. Good for the Judge. Mommy sounds like one of those mothers who don't think that their kids do any wrong. The Judge sounds like he was trying to keep the daughter from experiencing the bad influence of more hardened juvenile offenders. Again, kudos to the judge.

• Ms Molli Bountiful, Utah
    July 3, 2012 11:01 a.m.

I think the judge should have required the haircut IN ADDITION to the sentence he handed out. But it would have been better if the judge had required that each girl cut the other's hair! This is just yet another case of a parent defending their brat child's behavior. Cry me a river.

• TKayak Boston, ME
    June 27, 2012 5:34 p.m.

AGAIN, mirismomma, if you do such crude primitive punishments to a child whose problem is psychological, you could make matters worse, much worse. Do you support muslim "genital mutilation" to curb promiscuousness? Because technically it does, but it is still ABUSE. This kid needs intervention, help, and NOT ABUSE.

• One Angry Salebarn Worker Madison, SD
    June 27, 2012 5:15 p.m.

The judge implemented a useful strategy to ward off future abusive behavior. The only problem is that the mother is still an enabler and will continue to paint the family as victims. A generation of children unwilling to take responsibility for their behavior is on the rise, and behind them are parents like this. (Ph.D. and senior fellow in Human Development)

• mirismomma lebanon, OR
    June 27, 2012 4:19 p.m.

I have a 3 yr old daughter and when we go into a mcdonalds play place I watch her like a shadow, because of girls like these. Which is sad that so many ppl these days are bullying others. but this goes beyond even what im afraid of (a kid pushing her or pulling her hair) these girls not only bullied this toddler, they went to extreme lengths (walking to another store just to BUY scissors!!!!) that is with full knowledge of what they were planning to do. As a mother of a girl, I have to say, I wouldnt have cut my daughters hair at the pony, you better believe when she came to court she would have a shaved head and be very aware that what she did was most certainly not to be swept under the rug! GOOD JOB! to the judge. She also needs to be psych evaluated and start serving out some sort of apology (mowing lawn, cards, ect) to that poor little girl. these girls are on the road to felony acts and imprisonment if they arent dealt with properly now!!

• TKayak Boston, ME
    June 27, 2012 2:51 p.m.

The girl has psychological issues, clearly. Medieval punishments will NOT help. Anyone who praises such simpleton, crude, and unhelpful approaches (most commenters) lack sophistication and education. God help this poor victim of living in a place stuck in the middle ages.

• Bearone Monroe, UT
    June 26, 2012 11:01 p.m.

In this case, great judgement by the judge! But like others, I have to ask where was the mother of the 3 year old?

Great job, judge, and quit your whining, mom!!!

• Batey1959 Temple, TX
    June 26, 2012 7:46 p.m.

The environment in which your kids evolve is not the only thing that is in play parenting is the most important of all, be true to yourself and others stop hiding what everyone else can see and you cannot.

• Batey1959 Temple, TX
    June 26, 2012 7:44 p.m.

We need to think what we are doing to our children . . . for the most part parents do not take responsibility for their actions or their children’s actions, some parents give their kids money to stay away, others do anything for the kids even lie in front of a judge saying that his/her kid is an outstanding kid and never did anything wrong in his or her life.
    People! You need to take responsibility. If you do not the crime rates will keep going up and up and the last thing you do not want to do you may have to do which is bury your love one.

• Batey1959 Temple, TX
    June 26, 2012 7:42 p.m.

My Opinion is;
    From what I’ve just read, I believe that the punishment has fit the crime . . . It’s conceivable for the mother of the 11 years old girl to think in that manner; however, she needs to come to terms with the judge’s decision and take it in like a good parent should. As I read the comments I can see that everyone has a valid point and my point is that the judge’s decision stands.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    June 26, 2012 2:15 p.m.

per SpaceCowboy69 10:07 a.m. June 22, 2012

"Is McDonald's the new day care in Price?"

It depends does it have a play area?

• eedwards Dayton, OH
    June 26, 2012 1:40 p.m.

It's about time Judges mete out appropriate judgments like this. Too few parents are disciplining their kids nowadays. Kids get away with anything they want, show no respect to anyone, and expect to receive respect for having done nothing to earn it. This mom should be absolutely ashamed of herself. She is teaching her daughter the wrong thing by making excuses for her behavior, seeking to eliminate proper punishment, and hoping to cash-in on the Judge's decision. It's parents like her that are destroying our kids. The lawyer should also be censured. He should be fined for abuse of process because this is a completely frivolous lawsuit. How anybody can condemn this Judge and defend the mom is beyond me. Time outs don't work. Kids need spanking, taking away of privileges until it hurts, and sometimes humiliation and embarrassment. Sometimes "an eye for an eye" is entirely appropriate, and this is one of those times.

• catnaplvn el cajon, CA
    June 26, 2012 11:55 a.m.

Rifleman - kudos on announcing you made a mistake. I was going to comment to you on whether or not you read that she had another case where she was threatening another child. this child obviuosly has some issues and it would seem that the mother is the reason her child is behaving like she is. If only I could say a few words to that mother I would tell her to open her eyes to the path her daughter is on - and it's not a good one. Too many of the kids these days get away with too much. I myself have come across teenagers who back talk me when I've reprmanded them for something they did that could either have bad consequences for them or others - what kind of parents do these kids have ..... parents like this mother. Look at what's happening in Florida with the teen who stood up for a disabled girl - she's getting punished! What is wrong with our society today?! I hope that principle or school district supervisor and bus driver get fired ..... but oh no that wouldn't happen because of the union. It's terrible!

• Gram Cracker Price, UT
    June 26, 2012 9:46 a.m.

Where were the parents of all these children? How could this have happened with not one parent seeing what was happening? And why did they cut the little girl's hair? Why? What was their motive?

• JulieWilson Cleveland, UT
    June 26, 2012 9:29 a.m.

Haha... Good job judge johansen!!! Maybe that girl will stop being a bully!!! I thought that was actually a great ruling!!

• liberty&justicefor all Sacramnto, CA
    June 26, 2012 12:04 a.m.

Sorry, Mom, but you need to teach your child that bullying is wrong and accept the consequences. Stop whining. Your child is a danger to other children and the judge
    is just doing some of what you needed to do to teach your child about respecting others.

• snowman Provo, UT
    June 25, 2012 10:59 p.m.

Do they teach parenting in Utah: There is no cause to send child services to the family of the 3 year old. But I say how about a visit to the 13 year olds home.

• Sophie 62 spring city, UT
    June 25, 2012 9:42 p.m.

I think this was a brilliant ruling by the judge. Unfortunately, it will probably not have the desired effect because the mother has decided to complain about the ruling, thus enabling her daughter's bad behavior. Too bad about that. Maybe the daughter should have cut the mother's hair also.
    Eventually this foolish mother will reap the consequences of her irresponsible actions, but it will be her daughter and her daughter's future victims who will really pay the price.

• enawn00 Aus./, TX
    June 25, 2012 9:35 p.m.

Rifleman, There is a difference between cutting the hair of 13 yr. old girl who took advatage of a 3 yr girl with a pair of sissors and a girl working a fulltime job and a part time job to support her sibilings. That judge was so wrong I can't even see straight. I think in this case the lady had a choice. She could have let the judge do what he wanted. SHE decided to go ahead and cut her childs hair. I have no sympathy for either one (mother or daughter).

• MommaofTwo Greenville, OH
    June 25, 2012 3:39 p.m.

As a mother of two two-yr-olds, and someone who has seen the trauma bullying causes, If it had been my child, her hair probably would have been chopped off when we got to court. As soon as I found out, her hair would have been unevenly chopped at the same way she did to that poor girl. If she even was left hair. Hair grows back, but the hurt of feeling "ugly" would have taught her a lesson. But this whole story screams irresponsible parents. Both plaintiff and defendant. Its time parents start PARENTING their bullies. My child would have been handing her an apology letter to parent and child AT THE HEARING. I'd be ashamed of such mean acts committed by my children. I raise them better than that. Do unto others as you have them do to you. Apparently this child wanted a hair cut.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 25, 2012 2:54 p.m.

It was an option that could be taken. I'd be concerned about people using this sort of thing in more extreme cases but this seems to be an okay use of that kind of ruling.

• Missy Happy Fun Fun Tooele, UT
    June 25, 2012 1:46 p.m.

For those who insist on blaming the mother of the victim for not watching her child, PLEASE go back and read the comments. (Do they teach reading in Buchanan, MI?)

Both the victim’s mother and the editor of this Deseret News article have addressed the issue. It helps to have all of the information before forming conclusions, and lynch mobs.

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    June 25, 2012 12:01 p.m.

My earler comment (about having the daughter choose the punishment) was to make the girl take responsibility for what she did. If I was the one who had to choose the punishment, I would have opted for the full community service term and would have had a bald child as soon as we got home. I would have made her shave her head herself.

Each of my sons did something really stupid when they were in their early teens, and their Dad and I came down on them like a ton of bricks. They never tried it or anything similar again. We always taught them that they had to take responsibility for their actions, AND we enforced it.

To Sharinlite 9:24 a.m. 6/24/2012
    I am one of the women who fought for equality in the 1960s. The fact that we stopped being chattel has nothing to do with the way we raised children, or the way our children are raising theirs. What you should be complaining about is lazy parenting, not the fact that women now aren't (for the most part" second class citizens.

I am one of the

• heedaf Layton, UT
    June 25, 2012 11:39 a.m.

Who would let their 11 old run free like that? It would scary me to death to have her out of my sight for so long. I don't understand the complaint of the perp's mom against the judge, she agreed to do it. She should be thankful that he gave her an easy way out. I think it would have been better if they made her shave her head. Go JUDGE!!!

• Do they teach parenting in Utah Buchanan, MI
    June 25, 2012 10:10 a.m.

WHERE is the mother during the haircut? Not being that far removed from having three year olds of my own, I am forced to question what the judge apparently didn't. Certainly, with a 3 year old, from experience I know it is impossible to keep track of one every single minute of the day, but in a public place like McDonald's, how do you lose track of a 3 year old long enough for her hair to be cut? The mother of the 3 year old should be, at the very least, investigated by child services on charges of neglect. It is kind of sad and shocking that everyone is focusing on punishment for the deed of cutting the toddler's hair, and as wrong as it may be, would NOT have happened with a responsible adult present. I imagine responsible parents are hard to come by these days, at least in Price, UT. To take it one step further, I would discipline the judge as well for not addressing the parenting abilities of Ms. Moss.

• snowman Provo, UT
    June 25, 2012 9:02 a.m.

I say the punsishment fit the crime.

• Sassee St George, UT
    June 25, 2012 8:59 a.m.

Punishment definitely just. Since daughter is a juvenile, parents are part of the process. They think it was ridiculous to cut her hair? Well, it was ridiculous to cut the 3 year olds hair, and to go to the lengths they did to do it. Complaint against judge should go no where.

Sounds like Price, UT needs to come up with activities to keep their youth busy and out of trouble.

• tincan wixom, MI
    June 24, 2012 9:37 p.m.

The job of a juvenile judge must be vary hard. I also applaud the judge for his offer of sentence reduction in this case. In addition the juvenile appears to be a bully and is being protected by the mother, possibly affected by the same trait. The judge should also have required family counseling with a follow-up with the judge for further possible action. Children harming other children who are strangers brings other horrific cases to mind.

• Tiffany Lambert Kennedale, TX
    June 24, 2012 8:14 p.m.

‎1. Sorry but the mother of the girl who did this doesn't need to be saying "That's not how you teach them right from wrong." Obviously you don't know, because your kid does WRONG. 2. You're complaining because the judge let your kid have a lesser sentence if you chopped her hair off? You should have done it the second you found out ANYway. 3. You're raising a kid who goes so far as to leave, buy scissors, return and do this - AND has made threatening calls to others. 4. Boo to the VICTIM's mother for not watching her kid in the first place and this parent for not watching hers as well. Bad parenting all the way around!

• AwakeningOverdue Atlanta, GA
    June 24, 2012 7:03 p.m.

Kudos to the judge. This girl and her mother's parenting style clearly need serious overhauling. I do wonder why the three year old was not being watched more closely; still, the punishment sounds like it fit the crime.

• Jerome from Layton Layton, UT
    June 24, 2012 4:02 p.m.

Hammurabi and Solomon would both approve. It also met the standards of Contract Law (Statute of Frauds from the Common Law). The Offer was hair or 150 hours in an orange jump suit picking up road litter. "Mom" should be thankful she had that choice.

• Ron_May Grand Junction, CO
    June 24, 2012 3:34 p.m.

This story is likely a story of a "mountain made out of a mole hill".

I don't like the idea of "media lynching" a couple of juveniles (children) for a "childish act". The act does seem to be out of the "norm" for behavior and is surely deserving of parental response and even the decision of the judge.

But..permanent stigma at the hands of the "press" and the general public seems to be a bit much. The judge ordered the pony tail of the offender cut. In both cases of the victim and the "child offender", the hair will likely grow back.
    Should "we" doom all three children as forever cast in lifetime roles as "victims and perps" for all eternity?
    In the absence of other information, we should trust the decision of the judge and the parents involved and let it go.

• 55534947 Hooksett, NH
    June 24, 2012 2:27 p.m.

The Judge was correct about the Mother making a choice. now, the Mother wants to backpedal? It shows why the 13 yr old thinks she can get away with things - cutting a 3 yr old's hair, deliberately, and that information about the rape/mutilation threats to a Colorado teen?.. this 13 yr old's Mother should have added her own punishment. This is a Mother who needs to teach her daughter about being an adult, not teaching by example to WHINE.
    They may both be brats to everyone they meet; just two different ages. It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall when the Mother's behavior is discussed behind her back by her own family, her coworkers and her neighbors. They are the ones who see her behavior on a regular basis. It would probably hurt the Mother's feelings, because I can't see it being good... pt

• lwherman Butte, MT
    June 24, 2012 2:19 p.m.

What needs to be understood is this, the judge didn't "order" the ponytail cut, as the headline and article state. He offered it as an option in exchange for a reduced sentence. It was the mother's choice.

"I'm going to give you this option: I will cut that by 150 hours if you want to cut her hair right now," Johansen said.

Mom made the decision to cut the hair, not the judge.

• Ditty Center moriches, NY
    June 24, 2012 1:33 p.m.

On the Judge who ordered defendants hair cut:
    BRAVO to you sir. It's about time someone stood up to the school bullies,& makes them responsible for their actions. In viewing the comments of the mother of this child, who chopped off the little girls hair, it's no wonder her child is so abusive. It's a shame the mother could not have her hair chopped off also for not teaching her child the consequences of her action. The perfect case of the tail wagging the dog. Wake up MOM, before your daugher pulls off a much bigger crime, then goes to jail for it. Then woman, you have no one else to blame but yourself for not teaching your daughter she has to be accountable for her actions. Again Judge, nice to see justice dealt with properly for a change.

• david344 OCALA, FL
    June 24, 2012 11:29 a.m.

i think it fit for the hair cutting of the little but i would have cut it short and given the hair to locks of love-way to go judge

• will7370 LOGAN, UT
    June 24, 2012 10:21 a.m.

He should have had the girl's head buzzed like a new Army recruit. The humiliation in the weeks that followed would have taught a far better lesson than just lobbing off her ponytail. Many girls at school already have short hair without ponytails. No lesson learned there.

• sharinlite Lake Forest, CA
    June 24, 2012 9:21 a.m.

This is what the entire 60's was all about: women were supposed to get equal rights in all things...well, the children of that generation taught their children and now those children feel they are allowed to anything they wish....bully the bus monitors, bully classmates, cut off the hair of a three year old....three for god's sake. The mothers should be sued for big money....we need to use the tools the left has used these past thirty years.

• Nita hamilton, ontario, 00
    June 23, 2012 11:51 p.m.

More rulings like this, judges...everywhere! Feeling the sting of what they did, themselves, these girls have to think about their actions evey time that they look into a mirror. And I think that they probably had some explaining to do, to everyone that noticed that their hair had been cut...don't think that the other should have been able to go to a salon, to have her hair cut, hope that she didn't see that as a fun thing..well we've all made dumb choices at some point in our lives,so enough said.

• HappyDay Pleasant Grove, UT
    June 23, 2012 8:59 p.m.

All I can say is HALLELUJAH! I love this judge. Imagine how scared that three year old girl must have been as two teenage bullies were cutting her hair. It's the least the judge could do and I'm appalled that the mother is now making a big deal of it. Note to mom ... start holding your daughter accountable for her poor choices or plan on visiting her in prision in a few years. Tack on a few additional punishments of your own and I bet your daughter will learn a great lesson from this experience.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    June 23, 2012 5:43 p.m.

Too bad the State Judge who had Brian Mitchell always singing and disrupting their court didn't threaten a haircut and a shave if he wouldn't shut up. Eventually hair will grow back, after the offender has had a bit of time to reflect upon their punsihment.

I heard of years ago where an Idaho judge told vandals who damaged cemetery property that "since they were so enamored with the city cemetery they could dig all the graves for the next 6 months." Talk about the punishment fitting the crime!!!

• Riggerson Athens, OH
    June 23, 2012 4:41 p.m.

Did anyone actually read the article? Despite what the headline claims, in no way, shape or form did the judge ORDER the mother to cut her daughter's hair.

• ficksme corbett, or
    June 23, 2012 3:58 p.m.

If an eye for eye and tooth for tooth were still in effect we would have a world full of blind toothless people.

• Delphinus13 St. Louis, MO
    June 23, 2012 3:28 p.m.

From the article, it doesn't sound like the judge "ordered the mother to cut her daughters hair," but in stead gave her the option as an alternative to cut the community service hours in half. The mother and daughter opted for the deal offered. They could have said "No." I don't see the problem here.

• ex-Dem_in_PA Philadelphia, PA
    June 23, 2012 2:57 p.m.

I completely agree with the judge's decision and am fascinated by Ms. Bruno's assertion that she felt very intimidated. More intimidated than the 3 y/o her daughter assaulted? More intimidated than the CO girl her daughter threatened to rape and mutilate? Her daughter has been in front of a judge more than once this spring so it doesn't sound like she's all that intimidated.

All I'm saying is Ms. Bruno has had 13 years to teach her daughter right from wrong. Now she has an opinion on effective methods?

I'm not an 'eye for an eye' guy but hair grows back, eyes don't. The haircut is the least troubling part of this story to me.

• Bethie Price, UT
    June 23, 2012 2:08 p.m.

Mishey - please read all the comments here. The 3 year old's mother has commented. She explained where she was. She wasn't there. The child was there with her grandfather who was seated to where he was watching the play area. Have you have been to a McDonald's playland? There are many many hiding spots. The victims family is not at fault here and shame on you for trying to make her mother feel so without knowing all the facts!

• GatorYak Victoria, TX
    June 23, 2012 1:33 p.m.

Children, and that includes preteen-aged adolescents, are, for the most part, "OUT OF CONTROL"! With that being said, I do NOT blame those mischievous little "porch-apes"! It's Mom and Dad's JOB to make sure their "younguns" are well disciplined and "able" to be out in public...unsupervised. I expect that this "mom" is one of those that cries "foul" every time her daughter gets in trouble...It's never "her" daughter's fault. Those parents will, one day, wake up to the fact that "THEY" did their child a great injustice. Like maybe when they are arrested for rape...or shop lifting.....or MURDER! The child WILL grow up...THEN...they will be held to stricter punishment. This judge was WRONG!!...He should have SHAVED her head!

• Mishey Miami, FL
    June 23, 2012 1:26 p.m.

Good for the judge! We need MORE judges with his kind of common sense! I think the Mom of this teen should be grateful she came before a judge who gave her the option of reducing her daughter's sentence! She's very lucky! ... and very ungrateful! But this story begs the most obvious question, which hasn't been addressed - WHERE was this 3-year old's Mom while all this was happening? These kids had the time to initially befriend the 3-year old, go to the McD counter and be refused a pair of scissors, and then go across the street to a store, buy a pair of scissors, and come back to cut this child's hair? That involves quite a bit of time! Where was her Mom all this time? Seems like all the parents in this story could use a course in parenting!

• raybies Layton, UT
    June 23, 2012 1:01 p.m.

I agree with the judge. there was no compulsion involved, but incentives for logical consequences.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    June 23, 2012 12:58 p.m.

The judge was right.

The mother is legally responsible for her daughter's behavior. The judge gave the mother a choice, cut the hair or let the daughter serve a stiffer sentence. That's fair.

What business did that girl have cutting a child's hair? Who gave her that right?

When parents fail to teach their children, judges have to make up the difference. Neither the daughter or the mother will ever forget that actions have consequences.

It looks like the mother needs some training if she thinks that the judge was out of line. Perhaps both the mother and the daughter should spend a few hundred hours doing community service until they both understand that actions have consequences and that PARENTS are responsible to teach their children how to behave.

• sks8 Mesa, AZ
    June 23, 2012 12:53 p.m.

Good for this judge and shame on the mother for filing a complaint!

• Utah Native Farmington, UT
    June 23, 2012 12:47 p.m.

"I never dreamt it would be that much of a punishment," she says? I'm certain the other mother never dreamt it would be that much of a punishment to take her daughter on an outing to McDonald's, either. If I were the mother of the bullying barber, I hope I would have the sense to not bring my lack of parenting skills and intelligence to the attention of the media. By whining that her poor daughter had her hair "cortado" in court in order to get out of time spent in juvie or a work crew (which the undisciplined child clearly deserves) shows such a lack of empathy for the other child. The punishment fits the crime, and, while unusual, is not cruel.

• Rushluver Lackawanna, NY
    June 23, 2012 10:57 a.m.

Mr. Lobosco,

The 3-year-old was at McDonald's with her grandfather and her 8-year-old brother. According to her mother, the grandfather was seated at a table with a view of the play area where his grandchildren were both playing, but did not see what the older girls had done. It was the girl's 8-year-old brother who helped ID the older girls on the McDonald's surveillance video.

In the grand scheme of the story, my editors and I didn't believe the circumstances surrounding the supervision of the 3-year-old at the McDonald's were pertinent. I guess we were wrong.

Thanks for your email,
    Geoff Liesik, Deseret News

• majmajor Layton, UT
    June 23, 2012 10:56 a.m.

I say good for the judge. The mother had to make a decision, and SHE made it. The other choise would have taken to much effort.

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    June 23, 2012 9:44 a.m.

Victims mother, I apologize for being glib yesterday. (I was recently nearly run off the road by a woman texting in her car while driving and can't seem to shake my animosity towards texters. I am sorry for your situation. My best to you and your daughter.

Also I still think more should be done about bullies. Malicious children are still malicious, even if they are too young for jail time.

• CeeDee Summerville, SC
    June 23, 2012 8:03 a.m.

Totally agree with the judge. That woman is a terrible mom and is not doing her daughter any favors by whining to the press about the punishment that she agreed on in the first place. The punishment perfectly fits the crime.

• JWnTX Corona, CA
    June 23, 2012 7:46 a.m.

Rifleman--I guess you're not in Houston. The national press blew that deal with the "honor student" all out of proportion (as I knew they had when it was a reporter and not a teacher who went to court with the young lady). Her dad had not abandoned the family. He was working out of town. And her older brother was in college at A&M and was fully capable of providing for himself. Her jobs that she worked was a dry cleaners (closed at 7pm) and then at the same establishment on the weekends in a party room they had for wedding receptions, etc. In short, her situation was far from desperate. She just chose to work til 7 then do God only knows what with the rest of her time. And she was an "honors student" because in some urban Texas districts, you don't have to qualify to be in "honors" classes--just request them. The judge backing down had more to do with public pressure than justice.

• James789 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 23, 2012 3:14 a.m.

It's parents like that Bruno, that raise bullies like we saw in that school bus video. The Judge did a good thing. He offered that bullying brat a deal, and the mother took it. The fact that she's now trying to get the judge in trouble and enabling her bully daughter shows that she's a terrible parent.
    How disgusting that teen was by looking for a sissors to pick on a three year old. This society is doomed with parents like Ms. Bruno, IMHO.

• socon corona, CA
    June 22, 2012 11:54 p.m.

correction: YOUR little girl ugh!!

• socon corona, CA
    June 22, 2012 11:50 p.m.

Victim's Mother, I'm glad you're little girl is okay. What a frightening experience for her and your family.

There's something wrong with the 13 year old girl; I hope she receives professional help.

• Victims Mother Price, UT
    June 22, 2012 11:48 p.m.

Damino, I would also like to thank you! I would of been happy with a simple apology, which is something my family has never received.

• Victims Mother Price, UT
    June 22, 2012 11:33 p.m.

Thank you photographermom! I really appreciate all the support! I just feel bad for ALL the girls involved! Not only my daughter, but the other little girl who is also a victim of the 2 bullies and the bullies themselves. It's a sad situation all around!

• danimo Salt Lake City, UT
    June 22, 2012 11:25 p.m.

The mom of the teen must be nuts to be complaining. The judge did not force her to cut her child's hair. The option was given, but the mother chose that option so that her teen would not have to do more community service. She has no grounds for complaint and it will be thrown out. In the mean time, she is exploiting her child in the news showing the teen to be a bully. The kid will now have the label of being a bully for the rest of their life unless they move to another state where people don't have access to the internet.
    As for forgiveness, forgiveness is given when someone repents and is sorry for what they have done, but that does not mean there are not consequences from your actions. With that logic, we may as well close the jails and let the murders and rapists go free because they deserve forgiveness too.
    Victims Mother, my apologies that your parenting was questioned. I'm not sure when the victims became the persecuted. I'm guessing it was at the same time that the perps were not held accountable for their actions.

• photographermom South Jordan, UT
    June 22, 2012 10:46 p.m.

Victims mother.....you are right on and totally did the right thing, you have alot of support. @restmom.....that was lame, just sayin

• hillplus Aurora, CO
    June 22, 2012 10:18 p.m.

GO Judge Johansen!!! Valerie Bruno, You need to work on your kid and her bullying tendencies. It will only get worse from here if you make excuses for her. God bless.

• PCChris PARK CITY, UT
    June 22, 2012 9:32 p.m.

We need more of this kind of justice to help stem the out of control violent crime in this country. Liberal judges all too often protect the criminals or at least the punishment prescribed has far less impact on the criminal than the crime had on the victim. An eye for an eye would make potential criminals think twice about committing egregious crimes. You take someone's pony tail, you forfeit your right to own yours. In this case, it's just a pony tail after all, but does give a young girl a great lesson in 'do unto others...' Why should criminals face any less suffering than their crime caused the victim to experience? If anything, the severety of punishment for violent crime should be more, not less than the severity of the crime.

• socon corona, CA
    June 22, 2012 9:08 p.m.

Sounds fair to me. The judge is a wise man.

Now the young girl knows what it feels like to have her hair cut off without her permission.

Empathy is a good thing.

• sprdthewrd NORMAN, OK
    June 22, 2012 8:35 p.m.

re Rifleman,
    You are to be commended for your change of heart. It takes a real man or woman to admit an error. Thank You !!

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    June 22, 2012 7:57 p.m.

I can see how the girls managed to cut the little girl's hair at McD's. When children disappear into the tubes and enclosures there it is hard to know just what is happening. I take grandchildren there occasionally, and have followed them all through the maze, but it took me much longer than it does the children, and several haircuts could have taken place.

I support the judge's directive. The mom of the teenager is a wimp.

• Victims Mother Price, UT
    June 22, 2012 7:54 p.m.

I was not present when this incident occurred. My children were with their grandfather where, like on many occasions, he likes to take them for dinner and play. He was present in the restaurant when the incident took place, and if any of you have children who play in a play area like these, there are several "hiding" places involved that make it impossible to see everything all the time. To set the record straight my daughter DID NOT leave with the girls when they went across the street to buy scissors (some people are under that impression for some reason). No, I was not texting. My daughter was the victim, not because she was left unsupervised, but because 2 older girls who were strangers to her for whatever reason decided to take a pair of scissors to my daughter's hair maliciously, even kept it for a while as a trophy. In going to the police I only wanted an apology, to know why, and a hope consequences for their actions. Thank you Judge Johansen, their punishment was sweet vindication for me, considering I got to miss out on my daughter's first hair cut.

• 1amwendy BLOOMFIELD HILLS, MI
    June 22, 2012 7:44 p.m.

I probably would have cut that mean girls' hair myself if I were her parent. Kudos to that judge! When my two then-middle-school-aged sons decided to get into some malicious mailbox mischief I made them knock on every victim's door, introduce themselves, confess what they had done and then repair all the damage. It took them weeks, because they had to send away for some mailbox flags. Guess what? First and last time anything like that occurred. Problem solved.

• 1amwendy BLOOMFIELD HILLS, MI
    June 22, 2012 7:36 p.m.

I think the judge came up with a brilliant solution. Cut hair is totally temporary, but as long as it is growing back that young woman has a reminder of her really inappropriate conduct. The mother is way off base, IMHO. When my sons as middle-schoolers decided to indulge in some petty mailbox vandalism I made them go up to each house, introduce themselves, confess what they had done, and repair the mailboxes. They had to send away for some replacement mailbox flags. The best lesson I ever taught them. Had I been that girl's mother I probably would have cut her hair myself.

• kiapolo Provo, MA
    June 22, 2012 7:29 p.m.

Quite a few here are missing key parts of this pathetically written article. What age was the girl involved? I know mommy dearest was blaming her 11 year old friend, but what about the age of the point of the article? Also, what about calling some teen in Colorado threatening them with rape? HUH? If the perp was also 11, what is she doing calling some teen in another state and threatening rape? What else is going on in mommy's home? As for the question of where the mothers were, obviously 1 did not care, while the mother of the three year old...ever take your kids to McD's? Their playland's are usually pretty extensive. It would not take much for kids in the tunnels to pull this off and the mother of the 3yo not notice. The other "mother" didn't even know her brat left, bought a scissors and came back. It is because "mothers" like that who allow older "children" playing in a playland why I would climb into it to yank some snot out because mommy was not paying attention, and junior jumped into a ball pit where a 1yo was.

• Restmom Grandview, MO
    June 22, 2012 7:15 p.m.

Is this some kind of Utah thing? Didn't Mitt decide this was an acceptable thing to do.when he was a kid?Bet nobody physically assaulted him as punishment.

• clutch VERNAL, UT
    June 22, 2012 6:57 p.m.

This mother needs to spend her energy thinking about how to turn her daughter's aggressive behavior around instead of filing complaints and talking to the media. I don't think the mother fully gets what path her daughter is headed down. Your daughter is not a victim because she had to cut her hair, she is a victim of her lack of impulse control.

• justdesserts Bremerton, WA
    June 22, 2012 6:56 p.m.

i think the judge did the smart thing in making the parent choose to cut or not. this way the MOM will also start thinking about consequences. even if she whined to the daughter that she really didn't want to do it, hopefully there will be guilt feelings. but somehow i can't see this woman feeling guilty about anything. she obviously did not care enough about her daughter to teach her better, especially after the first time something happened. the mom also needs the consequences.

• justdesserts Bremerton, WA
    June 22, 2012 6:49 p.m.

the woman needs to grow up. no wonder her daughter is the way she is. the daughter does a despicable act and the mom doesn't want her punished. AND she's done worse, threatening to rape and mutilate another girl?

as a mom i would have shaved off ALL her hair and taught her a lesson! maybe mom needs hers cut off too! the courts better not let her get away with suing the judge. THAT would be injustice!

• DistantThunder Vincentown, NJ
    June 22, 2012 6:32 p.m.

Where's the father of the older girl? Why didn't she have the thought running through her head: If I do this, my parents will kill me?

• Ryan Herle Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI
    June 22, 2012 5:22 p.m.

Two girls; one a teenager and the other a "tween," conspired to cut the hair from a 3 year old child because of malice.

That was MEAN and LOW and MALICIOUS.

There must be an appropriate response; the actors deserve nothing less than the public embarrassment that will come from their outward appearance - they EARNED the right to walk around near-to-bald.

I don't think of this as "punishment;" I think of it as "apropos."

I hope they have learned a lesson; when you harm other people for your own amusement, your countenance shows your character - in this case aided slightly by the creative judgment of a Jurist.

By-and-large I am not predisposed to approving of "creative sentencing;" it has been a tool used by despots to inflict public injury on a defendant for the amusement of a Judge on many occasions; in this case I do think it appropriate, as the People of Utah have declared that the purpose of juvenile courts are to "reform" the character of a child, and not to "punish" them.

I dare say that this WILL reform their character, or at least I hope it will, and I approve.

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    June 22, 2012 4:35 p.m.

K.

It cut the community service in half. It's not civilized? Please. With attitudes like that it's no wonder that the wussification of America is well under way.

• K Mchenry, IL
    June 22, 2012 4:13 p.m.

It isn't civilized. Community service in entirely would have been better. Now they think some drastic act can get them off some of the consequence.

Where was the mom of the three year old?

• ktepsc Sandy, 00
    June 22, 2012 4:11 p.m.

The two tweens sound like they need some real discipline in their lives. They need parents who enforce boundaries rather than allow the kids to act without consequence. That was a very good punishment. When kids damaged my husband's property, he agreed to a reduced penalty for them both if they shaved their head for the summer. Trust me, those boys will never bother my husband's property again. And hopefully will think twice before they do any more stupid things. It would be nicer if the parents would step up their parenting abilities so it doesn't have to get to this. 11 and 13 are plenty old enough to know that you don't touch another person's body, much less cut their hair.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    June 22, 2012 4:06 p.m.

So the mother is raising a bully and after thinking about it, decided she doesn't want her precious daughter to suffer any consequences of her bullying. And it's not like she was forced to cut her daughter's hair, she was given an option, and she chose to do it. The mother does not seem to care that her daughter is a bully.

• ConservativeAct Charleston, SC
    June 22, 2012 3:52 p.m.

These are the types of Judges we need. The girl was not harmed except maybe her pride. The next time she thinks of doing something stupid, as she did in this case, she can look in the mirror and see her short hair.

Placing kids in detention normally makes matters worse as they are breeding grounds for bad behavior - trust me as I worked in a youth detention facility for years.

The namby-pamby parents that always think there children do no wrong need to be charged also then maybe they would take a keen interest in teaching their children right from wrong. My question is - where was this mother while her child was being a bully to another child? Obviously not engaged in the parenting process.

An ounce of prevention is always worth a pound of cure.

• ValuesUberAlis Orange, CA
    June 22, 2012 3:45 p.m.

The Judge understands that An Eye For An Eye is not about Retribution alone. Punishments that fit crimes are designed to ignore the "group" or "status" differences between the offender and the victim because legally, no difference exists in America. It is because the 3 year-old and her hair have the Same Value as the 13 year-old that a Hairlock for a Hairlock is Just and Good.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    June 22, 2012 3:38 p.m.

They picked on a three year old? The judge should have had them shave their heads!

• 1divmstr Santa Rita, GU
    June 22, 2012 3:31 p.m.

@Rifleman - Recommend you research the psychology of revenge. It has its place in the evolution of society as a means of maintaining good order.

Good for the judge. The problem with the system today is that we tend to condone bad behavior. This judge obviously wasn't going to go with the norm.

• Wyomex Burlington, WY
    June 22, 2012 2:49 p.m.

Congratulations to the judge for thinking creatively and consequentially.

Criticism to the mother for not backing the judge up.

Best wishes to the girl for getting life figured out before she does something terrible instead of stupid.

• newwest Ferron, UT
    June 22, 2012 2:48 p.m.

Some years ago Judge Johansen gave a young man the choice of serving time in juvenile detention or joining the High School wrestling team. He chose wrestling. It was absolutely the best thing that could have happened to the teenager, even though he was never a star wrestler.
    I also remember Judge Johansen sentencing another young man to fines and community service requirements that were exactly double the norm, because in the Judge's words, "I know your family, and you've been taught. You should know better."

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    June 22, 2012 2:47 p.m.

Vidar, I'm respectfully disagree. The mother should not have had her hair cut also unless for family home evening she taught her children that bullying is okay. Otherwise the daughter was acting completely on her own with the help of her bad friend. Friends like that should be dumped.

• emp1 Provo, UT
    June 22, 2012 2:23 p.m.

Good for the judge!
    It's clear that this is a troubled young woman. I think the mother should seek some professional help for the daughter instead of complaining about the judge's behavior.

• Kriegfodder CEDAR CITY, UT
    June 22, 2012 2:14 p.m.

The court system is not about "love and forgiveness," it's about justice. That's why Lady Justice is wearing a blindfold. Among other things, this judgment will get national attention, which I'm sure the judge knew, and the girls' crime will be well-known.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    June 22, 2012 1:57 p.m.

Chalk one up for the good guys. I would really love to know why a 13 year old would decide to pick on a 3 year old. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to figure out how this story will go in the long term.

• Reasonable Person Layton, UT
    June 22, 2012 1:53 p.m.

Good for the judge!

The little girl whose hair was cut, has to wait a long time for her hair to grow back.

There's no more fitting way to prove what the victim goes through, than to cut the perp's hair.

Ms Lopan, are you raising your daughter to learn the consequences or get out of trouble by running to the news?

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    June 22, 2012 1:47 p.m.

This 13 year is pure mean. Who wants to harm a 3 year old girl? Someone who is flat out mean-spirited.

• gogobsu Boise, ID
    June 22, 2012 1:45 p.m.

Am I reading this right. Two girls talked about cutting this little girls hair. Had to go across the street to get scissors and them back? This is plain and simple per-meditated assault . These girls when asked why they did it will have the standard answer "I don't know" It is time for them to "Know" right from wrong. I agree with the judge and the punishment

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    June 22, 2012 1:45 p.m.

Rifleman,

I like that you can look at the situation and change your mind. There's no shame in saying I changed my mind. Too often, particularly in politics, it's deemed to be a bad thing to change your mind.

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    June 22, 2012 1:02 p.m.

Clearly, this 13 yr old has issues. In my experience, 99% of the time, kids with issues have parents with issues. This girl is already engaging in cyber bullying. She is a future resident at the facility in Gunnison, or at the point of the mountain. Unless her mother makes some changes and becomes a responsible parent. And on the other hand, I'll say this, Was the mother of the 3 yr old texting or something when this event occured? THat woman needs a reprimand as well. Wake up! Be a parent! This teenager is lucky she didn't try something like that on my daughter. Papa bear is not much better to deal with than mama. I hate the snotty entitlement attitude that kids these days exhibit. My parents would have taken me out to the woodshed with good reason. Bullies must be stopped by whatever means necessary. Look what Japan turned themselves into after we forced them to stop bullying, productive members of society!

• Sneaky Jimmy Bay Area, CA
    June 22, 2012 12:46 p.m.

Give the judge a raise. This is the kind of sentence that MIGHT wake up the perp and her mother.

• VIDAR Murray, UT
    June 22, 2012 12:39 p.m.

I am sure this woman will spend much more time in jv court with her daugher.
    I am also sure after her complaint the judges will not be so leniant next time.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 22, 2012 12:16 p.m.

Yes, I was wrong. In reading the story more closely it sounds like the older girls who did the cutting are headed for more serious trouble if their parents don't get them turned around. The judge should be commended for his ruling.

• Culture of Rationalization Salt Lake City, UT
    June 22, 2012 12:09 p.m.

NedGrimley:
    That the mother is not actively trying to teach her daughter to be a good person is precisely why she is the way she is. Though my kids--and, I'm guessing yours as well--are not perfect, my kids will never even start on that kind of path because of what we teach them at home. Any type of behavior that we believe is unacceptable is communicated as such very clearly to our kids. As a result, the problems we do have with them are minor.

People, very few of us are as good as we could be. I have met a couple of people in my life that I think are amazing, but that doesn't yet apply to me. Nevertheless, we as adults, we as parents, must give our full effort to being the best we can be as people, as parents, et cetera. When we think it is acceptable to do less than that, any variety of social ills are likely to be the result.

• tpayne22 cedar city, UT
    June 22, 2012 11:59 a.m.

Well, I dont exactly think it was the most professional thing I have ever seen, but I think its asbolutely awesome! As the judge put it...

"Why shouldn't she get her hair cut?" she said. "The other little girl had to get her hair cut. It fits the crime."

As said by the mother, sometimes it may not be the best way to teach a lesson. But I think its so cool that the judge was willing to do that!

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    June 22, 2012 11:50 a.m.

The part that bothers me the most is that the mother is whining about the punishment instead of providing an added punishment of her own. I would not only have whacked off my kids hair, I would have whacked his privileges at home and probably his behind, too!

Reminds me of the cartoon I recently saw. Two panels. The first panel, "20 Years ago", shows mom and dad with their child in front of a school teacher. They're holding up a report card. The kid is obviously in trouble, with mom and dad glaring at him, and demanding of him: "What is up with these grades??"

The second panel, "today", shows the parents and child, (with a smirk on his face), they're holding the report card, glaring at the teacher, and demanding of her: "What is up with these grades??". Why do parents continue to facilitate their delinquent children?

• dlw7 LOGAN, UT
    June 22, 2012 11:50 a.m.

How can this mother be upset? The judge's actions were fair. She cut the little girls hair so her hair gets cut. Hair grows back. The fact that the older girls had to find a store, purchase scissors and go back and cut the 3 year old's hair makes them pretty guilty. The mother and her daughter is lucky the judge offered them such a simple way out.

• bballjunkie Pleasant Grove, UT
    June 22, 2012 11:34 a.m.

I love it! I am one who is tired of hearing these traggic stories were "bullies" are causing young boys and girls to take their own lifes. It is about time someone steps up ( like this Judge) and puts the hammer down.

A quick note to the mother... you might want to be happy with this judge decision before you have to say goodbye to your daughter for life for bullying a kid so far that they take their life and she is found guilty of that crime.

Parents step up and keep an eye on your kids and their stupid behaviors. Help stop this garbage.

• VIDAR Murray, UT
    June 22, 2012 11:02 a.m.

should have cut the mothers hair too.
    The mother is the one who cut the hair, she did not have to, it was cut your daughters hair for less community service. And the mother took the deal for her daughter, does not look like the daughter fought the idea, she probably did not care, wanted punk hair anyway.
    I do not think the judge should have given her the choice. Working out collecting garbage in the hot sun is more of a punishment anyway.

• Gram Cracker Price, UT
    June 22, 2012 10:58 a.m.

"Forgiveness and love" wouldn't teach the perp a thing. She would quickly forget and be on her way. This punishment absolutely fit the crime.

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    June 22, 2012 10:56 a.m.

The daughter is the one who should have had to make the choice between the two punishment options.

• trueblue87 Provo, UT
    June 22, 2012 10:38 a.m.

I think that is a very fair punishment. I probably would have done the same thing as a parent if it was my child and this incident came to my attention.

• county mom Monroe, UT
    June 22, 2012 10:29 a.m.

In an separate incident, also before the judge, this girl has been cyber bullying another girl. This child is a bully. I have always believed the punishment needs to fit the crime. Her hair cut is minimal, hair grows back. The worst part of all this is the justification her mother is giving her by going on the news and whining. This child is getting fame for being mean. What is her mother teaching her? I wonder where she will be 5 even 10 years from now?

• twinb Brigham City, UT
    June 22, 2012 10:21 a.m.

I agree with hhs88. However, perhaps the judge's method was unorthodox, but it's certainly apparent the punishments given many do not deter their bad behavior, and maybe this will serve this teenager better than the community service hours. Too many get away with wrong things. Somehow we need to get back to real discipline. People need to learn from their mistakes, not learn how to work the system and get away with so much.

What kind of message is that mother sending her daughter by suing? Seriously!

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    June 22, 2012 10:09 a.m.

Actually, in many cases the principle of "an eye for an eye" can be great teaching principle to people, if not taken to extremes (which in this case it wasn't). It helps perpetrators understand the feelings and emotions they forced upon their victims, which is then usually an additional deterrent to them not doing something similar again.
    In this case, every time they look in the mirror it will serve as a great reminder to the perpetrators of their unlawful conduct until their own hair grows back... which will take many months... all without enduring any physical pain and no more emotional trauma than they themselves originally caused.
    Unfortunately, parents of these juveniles often want only a little wrist-slap given, which leaves the victims feeling even more victimized, and leaves the perpetrators more likely to continue their unlawful behavior .
    I sincerely believe this judge used Solomon-type wisdom in issuing this option, which the mothers of the offenders obviously went along with... originally. Now, sadly, one of the mothers appears to be wanting a bit of self publicity over this episode.

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    June 22, 2012 10:07 a.m.

Waahhhh! Sounds like a pretty good deal (for the juvenile).

• SpaceCowboy69 Syracuse, UT
    June 22, 2012 10:07 a.m.

The judge made the right decision. Plus, where were the mothers? Do mothers routinely leave their three year old daughters at McDonalds? Is McDonalds the new day care in Price?

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 22, 2012 10:06 a.m.

Re: hhs88 slc, ut
    "If I was the judge I would have let the little girls mom cut the hair of the girl that assaulted her daughter."

Then you would be a judge looking for a new job. If your son gives my son a black eye do I get to hit your son so he'll have a black eye also? Instead of teaching hate the mother of the girl who got her hair cut had the opportunity to teach her daughter forgiveness and love. Revenge doesn't bring long term satisfaction.

• photographermom South Jordan, UT
    June 22, 2012 10:04 a.m.

Hhs88 u couldn't agree with you more.

• Gramma of 7 Lehi, Utah
    June 22, 2012 10:00 a.m.

Good for the judge. I'm all for logical consequences. This one will stick with the girl and hopefully help her see that what she did was very wrong. He tried to find a way that would involve less punishment, which doesn't usually work, and more thoughtfulness--giving the girl more reason to understand how her actions affect other people. I do wonder, however, where the little three-year-old's mother was at the time that this was able to even happen.

• hhs88 slc, ut
    June 22, 2012 9:37 a.m.

I applaud the Judge. The girls that cut the hair of the little girl went to great lengths to acquire scissors and then cut the hair. Why shouldn't they both have to have cut hair too? And hair will grow back. I think the mom that had to cut the hair should maybe think about teaching her daughter a lesson and that a little shorter hair may help her daughter not be a bully. If I was the judge I would have let the little girls mom cut the hair of the girl that assaulted her daughter.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 22, 2012 9:35 a.m.

Without knowing all the facts it would appear the this judge crossed the line. A judge in Texas recently got himself into hot water for sentencing an honor student to a day in adult jail for truancy. Plus going to school that girl was working a full time job and a part time job to support a sister and brother after her parents abandoned them.

And yes, that judge got his hand slapped real hard.